What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help! ***16 Teamer Salaried Start Up $510 total 2 Spend*** (1 Viewer)

NM 156

Footballguy
in a little over a month.

Minimum $3 salaries each player.

40 man rosters and if you have any salary left over you can draft up to 10 minor leaguers.

This is based off of MLB salaries, I forget the math, anyways...

You can bid up by years too, example: manager A bids 1 year at $25

manager B bids 2 years at $15(each, which is higher total output).

manager A can of course counteroffer with 3 years at $11, etc, etc.

What positions do i throw out there first when it's my turn to start bids on a new player?

I know I'd like to use a 60/40 split on hitters to pitchers for salary, that sound about right?

I'm going to keep track of every one's Rosters/needs and their remaining salaries. Plus of course I'll keep crossing names off my tiered lists by position, etc.

What would you do in each of the above please?

Thanks.

gotta run but will be back in a few hours to answer any questions, etc.

I am willing to invest some time to answer - but I need a little more info. What are your starting lineup requirements. Is it all-MLB and minors? Are there salary escalators? Do players you draft have to be on a MLB 40 man roster or can you dig down into the farm system for players not on a 40 man roster?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am willing to invest some time to answer - but I need a little more info. What are your starting lineup requirements. Is it all-MLB and minors? Are there salary escalators? Do players you draft have to be on a MLB 40 man roster or can you dig down into the farm system for players not on a 40 man roster?
weird, guess i posted this on my old computer with my old poster 'name'...??? k, so I guess I'm Dag as well as NM 156. thx for replying and your time and I'll answer best I can. 5x5 scoring Starting Lineups: 1b, 2b, ss, 3b, 3 OF'ers, C, DH (9) 5 SP, 5 relievers (10) Yes, all MLB and Minors, heck we can also bid the next Japanese star we think is coming over if we want to. Salary escalators are 3 dollars each year unless they are under contract(but we can't do those till year 3). The Salaries go like this year to year. 3f, 6s, 9t & 12o 3f , f = First year 6s , s = Second year 9t , t = Third year 12o , o = Option year We are allowed to sign players to long term contracts after, After their 2nd year, so no long term contracts until year 3 of this League. When signing/offering those contracts they have to be 150% of current deal. so if I dunno I draft that Martinez kid from Houston for say 5f, he becomes automatically an 8s next year and if he blows up at DH or where ever I can sign him for say 3-4 years at $17 each. So if it was 3 years he'd be 'a' 3yr/$17/2018. If, if, if, if I wait till his Option year(4th year) then whatever I offer can be then and only then outbid by another team and it must be 150%+ of my contract, so signing guys early is a must if you believe they are a superstar, etc. Now on the other hand if I get say Yadier Molina for $27 this year then he just goes up 3 dollars each year, 27f, 30s, 33t and finally a 36o, etc. Just going up in salary by $3 each year. I can bid/draft anyone including you or Joe Bryant so yes, A League Rookie Ball players or even High Schoolers are eligible for Auction/Draft. This being my first year in a start up format with auctions I'm just gonna try and get a solid roster and see what's left over and then try and get some young arms or whoever BPA is, etc. I really don't think I'll make it to 40 players as being a beginner I'll end up overbidding more than once or twice(or a lot more) for players. I'll be really happy w/32-35 and anything over that is gonna be bonus. Rumors are that Cano will get up around $70 and even though I want somebody sort of and very hopefully cheap like Uggla I still dunno how this will pan out. I've never done a start up auction before, not even in Football but I am familiar with this set up since this league disbanded about 5 years ago when Life/Family got to be too much for too many guys and now we're starting it up again of course from scratch. Thx again for responding and taking your time to address this. I'll check this every day again to respond to any questions you have. Thanks Very Much!!!.

Quick answer - more detail to follow. When planning blow off minor league for first year. You have 19 positions and 21 bench you have to fill to get to a minimum 40 man roster. Figure you will fill your bench with $3 speculation picks (or $63 budgeted for bench) - but I would actually bump that budegt up to an average of $4.50 per bench player (or $94.50). Take that off the top and you now have an overall budget of $416.

I prefer a 55/45 split - but lets just use your 60/40 split as an example. You have $250 for 9 batters and $166 for 10 pitchers.

Hitters = $250

I set aside 30% for BA and R guys ($75), 30% for SB and R guys ($75), and 40% for HR and RBI guys ($100).

Pitchers = $166

60% for starters ($99) - avoid bad WHIP guys, that is my only rule, of this 60% target 1-2 strikeout guys and the rest backend guys

30% for closers ($50)- good situations for a ow price tag idelaly - don't overspend based on name

10% for other ($16) - speculate on closers in waiting or firmly established setup men

Now you have a skeleton in place - adjust based on scarcity or team need. Bottom line just have a general idea of a game plan and then execute it. Let the other teams overpay for aging superstars, but don't be afraid to sign a few veterans if you can get them cheap - just don't pay full value for anyone over the age of 29.

Quick answer - more detail to follow. When planning blow off minor league for first year. You have 19 positions and 21 bench you have to fill to get to a minimum 40 man roster. Figure you will fill your bench with $3 speculation picks (or $63 budgeted for bench) - but I would actually bump that budegt up to an average of $4.50 per bench player (or $94.50). Take that off the top and you now have an overall budget of $416.I prefer a 55/45 split - but lets just use your 60/40 split as an example. You have $250 for 9 batters and $166 for 10 pitchers.Hitters = $250I set aside 30% for BA and R guys ($75), 30% for SB and R guys ($75), and 40% for HR and RBI guys ($100).Pitchers = $16660% for starters ($99) - avoid bad WHIP guys, that is my only rule, of this 60% target 1-2 strikeout guys and the rest backend guys30% for closers ($50)- good situations for a ow price tag idelaly - don't overspend based on name10% for other ($16) - speculate on closers in waiting or firmly established setup menNow you have a skeleton in place - adjust based on scarcity or team need. Bottom line just have a general idea of a game plan and then execute it. Let the other teams overpay for aging superstars, but don't be afraid to sign a few veterans if you can get them cheap - just don't pay full value for anyone over the age of 29.
great, this great thx!!! waaay better than answers i'm getting from googling stuff. FYI I do not have to fill my 40 man roster but it is recommended that we get at least 30 guys on our rosters, so i really wanna just be over that, etc, etc especially if i screw up somewhere and pay waaay too much for one. how could i screw up? well i haven't been at an auction like this ever and haven't built a team from scratch since um, 94??? this will take us around 8-10 hours to complete i'm sure so i'm gonna screw up in a few places. The thing is just like golf to not make them big mistakes and just a few little ones, etc so they don't hurt me or my payroll down the road at the auction or the season. Thx again and i'll keep an peeled here for anymore advice. Thx very much!!!.

Another question is that i get to call out the second name, rumor has it that Trout will be called first.What happens if I call out some guy who shouldn't be called for 3-4 hours like a reliever who doesn't even close?Or a releiever who does close but isn't top 3, like Axford from the Brewers for example???I understand that this would throw guys off and make them think I don't know what I'm doing but so what, then I can try and be smart later on and catch them when they think I'm being stupid, etc.

Another question is that i get to call out the second name, rumor has it that Trout will be called first.What happens if I call out some guy who shouldn't be called for 3-4 hours like a reliever who doesn't even close?Or a releiever who does close but isn't top 3, like Axford from the Brewers for example???I understand that this would throw guys off and make them think I don't know what I'm doing but so what, then I can try and be smart later on and catch them when they think I'm being stupid, etc.
Early on, I usually like to call out guys that will go for a lot of money, but I'm not really interested in. Get money off the table.

Early on, I usually like to call out guys that will go for a lot of money, but I'm not really interested in. Get money off the table.
great! thx..

Quick answer - more detail to follow. When planning blow off minor league for first year. You have 19 positions and 21 bench you have to fill to get to a minimum 40 man roster. Figure you will fill your bench with $3 speculation picks (or $63 budgeted for bench) - but I would actually bump that budegt up to an average of $4.50 per bench player (or $94.50). Take that off the top and you now have an overall budget of $416.I prefer a 55/45 split - but lets just use your 60/40 split as an example. You have $250 for 9 batters and $166 for 10 pitchers.Hitters = $250I set aside 30% for BA and R guys ($75), 30% for SB and R guys ($75), and 40% for HR and RBI guys ($100).Pitchers = $16660% for starters ($99) - avoid bad WHIP guys, that is my only rule, of this 60% target 1-2 strikeout guys and the rest backend guys30% for closers ($50)- good situations for a ow price tag idelaly - don't overspend based on name10% for other ($16) - speculate on closers in waiting or firmly established setup menNow you have a skeleton in place - adjust based on scarcity or team need. Bottom line just have a general idea of a game plan and then execute it. Let the other teams overpay for aging superstars, but don't be afraid to sign a few veterans if you can get them cheap - just don't pay full value for anyone over the age of 29.
thx for the skeleton, i finally got a chance to back away from research and map a plan out. thx again!!! :cheers:.

Users who are viewing this thread