What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Former WSU WR Marquess Wilson (1 Viewer)

Matt Waldman

Footballguy
My view of Marquess Wilson and specific thoughts on how I would approach Wilson leaving his team on bad terms if I were a team scout.

Link

Emails obtained by The Spokesman-Review indicate that concerns had been raised with Moos before Wilson’s allegations were made.

In an email dated Nov. 1, a sender – whose name is redacted in the records released by WSU – claimed that in one instance, “players were made to hold 45-pound plates over their heads while coaches sprayed water in their faces with water hoses,” among a long list of other complaints.

The only real concern addressed by Moos in the final review was the use of a water hose by strength and conditioning staff to spray players who were working out in the sand pit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marquess Wilson's Text to Bill MoosFrom among the documents Cougfan.com received from WSU on Tuesday following a public records request was this Nov. 10 text from the junior wide receiver to the athletic director."Mr. Moos this is marquess ... With that letter I wasn't trying to accuse the coaches of hitting players or anything. I was just trying to put it in different terms and now everything is getting misinterpreted and I didn't mean it like that at all … I simply was trying to get my story across and get my name cleared instead of having it say I'm suspended for breaking team violations … That could mean like I did drugs or something … I was never trying to harm the university or the program with it"
Good article! I bet Marquess felt pretty foolish quitting the team after that Apple Cup victory the day after Thanksgiving.

Rotoworld:

Former NFL scout John Middlekauff says Bears seventh-round WR Marquess Wilson has third- or fourth-round talent.
Wilson earned a character red flag when he was suspended indefinitely from Washington State and then subsequently quit. But in 2011, he caught 82 balls for 1,388 yards (16.9 YPR) and scored 12 touchdowns. The 20-year-old Wilson could be an intriguing practice squad stash for the Bears while he puts some weight on his 6-foot-3 frame.

Source: nflsfuture.com

More from Rotoworld:

Bears coach Marc Trestman indicated seventh-round pick Marquess Wilson must add strength before he becomes a serious NFL contributor.

Although Wilson weighed 194 at the Combine, the Bears list him at 184. "He’s 20 years old, so he has a lot of growing to do," Trestman said. "Being around here and getting involved in our weight program over the next few months is certainly going to help him as well. He’s going to get stronger. He’ll get bigger and add more girth. And he’ll be around a place where he’ll be able to eat right."

May 12 - 5:52 PM

Source: ESPN Chicago
The Bears aren't concerned about seventh-round pick WR Marquess Wilson quitting the Washington State football team last season.

Wilson was considered a bit of a headcase even before he quit on Mike Leach's program. "I wouldn't consider it a red flag,'' Bears coach Marc Trestman said. ''I consider it a young guy making a very, very small mistake that put him in a position that got him in trouble. ... He's a good kid with a big upside." Standing in at 6-foot-3, 194 pounds, Wilson was a highly productive college player, and showed well at the Combine. He has a strong chance at earning a roster spot if he can keep his head on straight.

Apr 29 - 12:46 PM

Source: Chicago Sun-Times

Watched a majority of Wilson's games last two years at WSU. He definitely has the physical tools despite his skinny frame. I see his problems last year though as a result of route running. As a Junior in a more basic offense he excelled running basic routes. He was able to go up and catch about everything thrown his was and was great after the catch. In comes Mike Leach and the Air Raid offense with a bit more difficult scheme. Same QB, Same Line, Etc and he is outshined by Freshmen WR's who just ran good routes and could get open. Wilson's poor route running = no catches = pissed off Wilson. When leach lowered the hammer on the team, he just gave up. His decision to implicate Leach in wrong doing was just a dumb kid move.

I don't worry about Wilson's attitude, etc. I do worry about his work ethic and ability to run NFL routes at the level necessary for success. If he does perfect his route running, he could be a solid #2 NFL WR. But at 5th-7th round rookie picks, he is definitely worth a shot. I have seen him go in mid 3rd round and think that is way too high.

I have myself taken him in the late 2nd-early 3rd in a few leagues and am very satisfied with those choices. A very young player with a great skill set and good fit with the Trestman offense. In fact, I can see him start there over Jeffrey long term and I think he will start to show his potential this year already assuming that he bulks up a bit. It seems like many have forgot that he was seen as one of the absolute top WRs in this year's draft before leaving his team.

Watched a majority of Wilson's games last two years at WSU. He definitely has the physical tools despite his skinny frame. I see his problems last year though as a result of route running. As a Junior in a more basic offense he excelled running basic routes. He was able to go up and catch about everything thrown his was and was great after the catch. In comes Mike Leach and the Air Raid offense with a bit more difficult scheme. Same QB, Same Line, Etc and he is outshined by Freshmen WR's who just ran good routes and could get open. Wilson's poor route running = no catches = pissed off Wilson. When leach lowered the hammer on the team, he just gave up. His decision to implicate Leach in wrong doing was just a dumb kid move.

I don't worry about Wilson's attitude, etc. I do worry about his work ethic and ability to run NFL routes at the level necessary for success. If he does perfect his route running, he could be a solid #2 NFL WR. But at 5th-7th round rookie picks, he is definitely worth a shot. I have seen him go in mid 3rd round and think that is way too high.
Good observations, thanks for posting :thumbup: Hope you're wrong though obviously, seeing as how I'm a huge :homer:

I have myself taken him in the late 2nd-early 3rd in a few leagues and am very satisfied with those choices. A very young player with a great skill set and good fit with the Trestman offense. In fact, I can see him start there over Jeffrey long term and I think he will start to show his potential this year already assuming that he bulks up a bit. It seems like many have forgot that he was seen as one of the absolute top WRs in this year's draft before leaving his team.
Man, 2nd round is really high for Wilson. Aside from some early career hype, I don't see anything that separates him from the other 15-20 WRs drafted late. He landed in a relatively poor spot in terms of upside. He has some physical limitations as he needs to put on a lot of weight. He has maturity issues. He isn't very polished.

I get it as a guy to take a chance on in the 5th round or so of a rookie draft. But drafting a 7th rounder like Wilson over guys taken in the 2nd or 3rd round of the NFL draft seems like a losing proposition to me.

Bears Playbook - Marquess Wilson's West Coast Style
Phil Emery rolled the dice in the seventh round of the draft on Washington State WR Marquess Wilson. Yes, Wilson's off-the-field issues are well documented, but his on-the-field work could be just what the Bears need on offense. read more

Marquess Wilson, WR – Chicago Bears via Washington State

After a dominant season in 2011, Wilson had a ton of “buzz” entering his junior campaign. But the Leach regime and Wilson just mixed like oil and water – which led to the ultimate blowup late in the fall with him quitting the team. While doing my homework on Wilson during the fall, having worked back to his high school days; the overall message was positive. People spoke highly of him and he really had no previous incidents on his resume. But as an organization it’s hard to discount a player quitting on his team, despite how much positive feedback you may receive on the player. Anyone who knows Bears GM Phil Emery can safely assume he did his fair share of homework on Wilson. From a talent standpoint his play justified a third/fourth round type grade. A fluid athlete who is big (6’3”), and has proved he can make plays on the field. For a team that desperately needs playmakers at WR, I can imagine the Bears were ecstatic at the point in which they selected Wilson. While he may not contribute week one, don’t be shocked to see him having a role by the second half of the year. link

I saw a few of his games his Sr year and he droped a lot of balls. Struck me as having really bad hands for someone who was supposed to be first round talent.

He's only 20 years old, and last year was actually his junior year. In the week 5 game versus Oregon he was facing double coverage and dropped four straight to start the game. But he ended up leading the game in receptions and yards with 12/182/1.

I saw a few of his games his Sr year and he droped a lot of balls. Struck me as having really bad hands for someone who was supposed to be first round talent.
Funny, came here to say the EXACT same thing. I expected to watch his cut-ups and see him winning tons of contested jump balls with a large catch radius, and instead got a ton of drops and getting pushed around by smaller corners because he's so lanky.

He's got some "wow" catches, including in the redzone, but tons of drops as well. Could be a concentration thing?

I watched parts of it, didn't see Wilson but the Bears only threw for 60 something yards the whole game anyway.

I watched parts of it, didn't see Wilson but the Bears only threw for 60 something yards the whole game anyway.
the bears scored 30 points.... but really, their offense was bad... i dont recall seeing wilson on my TV tonight. the chargers handed them most of the points with TO's deep in their own end. and if not for a long matt forte run, i dont know if the bears offense would have generated a drive of over 50 yards tonight

Rotoworld:

ESPN Chicago thinks Bears second-year WR Marquess Wilson will need to "light it up" this summer in order to pass Earl Bennett on the depth chart.
Bennett was asked to take a pay cut last offseason and may need to do so again in order to return -- the Bears can save $2.45 million against the cap by cutting him. There's no questioning Wilson is the more talented player, but he needs to get in the weight room. The belief is that Wilson will definitely get an opportunity to earn an increased role on offense in 2014. He needs to be owned in all dynasty formats.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Chicago reports Earl Bennett has declined a pay cut and is expected to be released.
The Bears will save $2.45 million against the cap by releasing the soon-to-be 27-year-old. Chicago is high on second-year WR Marquess Wilson and he's "emerged" as the favorite for No. 3 duties, behind Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery. Wilson is a player whose arrow is pointing straight up in Dynasty.

Related: Marquess Wilson

Source: Jeff Dickerson on Twitter
Bears expected to release Earl Bennett after he declined pay cut

The one 'bad' thing about a draft this deep with WR talent is that all it takes is a mid-round pick from Chicago to totally derail what looks like a promising sleeper. I have a feeling half the popular WR sleepers in dynasty will be easily dethroned by cheap mid-late round WR's taken this year.

The one 'bad' thing about a draft this deep with WR talent is that all it takes is a mid-round pick from Chicago to totally derail what looks like a promising sleeper. I have a feeling half the popular WR sleepers in dynasty will be easily dethroned by cheap mid-late round WR's taken this year.
I'm a long time believer in Wilson so take it with a grain of salt. I think he will be hard pressed to knock out of his 3 string role by a mid-late guy in this draft. The kid is still only 21 yrs old and has a ton of ability.

Rotoworld:

Coach Marc Trestman stopped short of "anointing" Marquess Wilson the Bears' new No. 3 receiver, but indicated he is expecting a second-year leap.
"He showed that we can work with him and develop him," Trestman said of Wilson. "He’s got the football intelligence that we’re looking for and the ability to be flexible within the offense." The Bears cut Earl Bennett because they believe Wilson offers more upside. He's an ideal Dynasty hold, and could make a 2014 re-draft impact if Brandon Marshall or Alshon Jeffery goes down.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Rotoworld:

Coach Marc Trestman stopped short of "anointing" Marquess Wilson the Bears' new No. 3 receiver, but indicated he is expecting a second-year leap.
"He showed that we can work with him and develop him," Trestman said of Wilson. "He’s got the football intelligence that we’re looking for and the ability to be flexible within the offense." The Bears cut Earl Bennett because they believe Wilson offers more upside. He's an ideal Dynasty hold, and could make a 2014 re-draft impact if Brandon Marshall or Alshon Jeffery goes down.

Source: Chicago Tribune
And two million dollars cheaper. He needed to work on his strength last year and is less athletic version of Justin Hunter. I like him in leagues with deeper rosters but there's not a clear path to fantasy relevance barring an injury.

Brandon Marshall expects big things from Marquess WilsonPosted by Josh Alper on April 20, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT

The release of Earl Bennett in Chicago opens up a clear path for Marquess Wilson to be the Bears’ third receiver next season.

Coach Marc Trestman would only say that Wilson will have “a chance to compete” for that job, but one of the two receivers definitely ahead of Marshall on the depth chart is expecting a bit more than that. Brandon Marshall said in an interview with CBSSports.com that he’s feeling good and looking forward to his “best year ever,” but the subject of Wilson was more exciting for him.

“I really want to talk about Marquess Wilson,” Marshall said. “He came down and trained with us the whole offseason. We’re really looking for him to do some big things. This guy, he’s probably the steal of the draft last year. I’m going to say that. He came in, he put in the work, he looks like a body builder. Fast, strong, explosive. I’m looking forward to seeing him in OTAs.”

Wilson is 6-4, which would make him, Marshall and Alshon Jeffery one of the taller receiving trios in memory. Bennett wasn’t targeted all that often last season, but the Bears offense will be tough for defenses to measure up to in multiple ways if Wilson lives up to Marshall’s hype.

And I believe Wilson is 7' tall.

Why are we throwing out random guesses on a player's height when we can easily check anywhere on the Internet to confirm it?

Measured 6'3" at the combine, listed as 6'4" in college and on the Bears' official website.

And I believe Wilson is 7' tall.

Why are we throwing out random guesses on a player's height when we can easily check anywhere on the Internet to confirm it?

Measured 6'3" at the combine, listed as 6'4" in college and on the Bears' official website.
It was a statement......He is 6' 25/8".......not 6'4" as posted.

Marshall signing a 3 year extension has to be a bit of a buzz kill for this guys chances. He has no shot of eclipsing 3rd on the depth chart for a LONG time.

Not many teams have fantasy relevant WR3's....

Marshall signing a 3 year extension has to be a bit of a buzz kill for this guys chances. He has no shot of eclipsing 3rd on the depth chart for a LONG time.

Agreed.......only an injury to Marshall or Jeffries would give him opportunity.

Also a youngish (27) pass catching TE in Bennett and a pass catching RB in Forte. Not much but crumbs left for the WR3, even in a pass happy offense. As Butkus says above, it would take an injury for him to have any useful value. I own him in a couple leagues but after Marshall's extension will most likely move him for someone who isn't quite so blocked from above.

Marshall signing certainly hinders Wilson but no one should have drafted Wilson thinking he was going to produce only after one year.

Agreed.......only an injury to Marshall or Jeffries would give him opportunity.
Not quite accurate. Wilson may play some slot in this offense.
You are correct but typically in Chicago the slot receiver is limited. They like to work the TE and RB in the passing offense more than the slot receiver.

I came across this discussion on twitter a few days ago, and I have been intending to post it here:

@evansilva

Brandon Marshall's guaranteed money runs out in 2016, at which point he will be 32 1/2 & Marquess Wilson will be 23: rotoworld.com/player/nfl/365…
@DavisMattek @evansilva he'll be younger than some new draftees when he's on his 2nd deal.
RT @BMatz08 I don't know if I can hold Marquess Wilson that long in dynasty ... Fair concern but you need to figure out a way.
@evansilva @BMatz08 I try to reserve 3-5 roster spots for high ceiling prospect talent. Any more than that, and I'll trade. He's a keeper
@DavisMattek Yeah so Marquess Wilson was 18 when he went 52-813-5 at Wash State. Was 19 when he went 82-1,388-12. #phenomindex
@evansilva I'm ALL over that dude in dynasty. Sheesh.
@evansilva @DavisMattek what round would he have gone if he had stayed quiet, played out season?
@LususNaturae0 @evansilva Tough to say, honestly. Guy with his size/performance is normally a good bet for first 3 rounds, though.
@DavisMattek @evansilva and at his age, he's definitely not done growing. If all the working out with Marshall pays off...
@evansilva @DavisMattek Comparing Wilson's career against S Watkins'. Scatter & line represent past WR1s in college ow.ly/i/5Fw5J

He's a younger and better version of Devin Street and no less talented than Justin Hunter.

Twitter continued:

@evansilva @DavisMattek still fleshing this out, but takeaway is that WIlson was super elite at both 18 & 19 and not far from Watkins at 20
@TheCFX @DavisMattek Or does it get thrown off because of what happened his final year?
@evansilva @DavisMattek it's top 15 all time, even with disastrous JR year. See 100s of historical scores here ow.ly/xbYar
@evansilva @DavisMattek haven't written about it yet, but i've figured out a way to include every season in one number.
@evansilva @DavisMattek the short version is that Marquess Wilson had the most dominant age-adjusted career of anyone since 2005.
@evansilva @DavisMattek best scores of NFL guys: MW, Britt, S Rice, E Bennett, K Allen, S Watkins, Dez, A Robinson, Briscoe, H Nicks, J Matt
@evansilva @DavisMattek sorry to spaz on you guys, but hopefully that was interesting. Almost that entire list was really good early in NFL
@TheCFX @DavisMattek It's super interesting. The percentages are high & tape supports it. He's a really strong bet if head on straight.
@TheCFX @evansilva @DavisMattek was his soph yr under Leach? I realize MS bakes in the system, but still...air raid
@Ahoran11 @evansilva @DavisMattek no, only JR year was with Leach.

Twitter continued:

@TheCFX @evansilva @DavisMattek Would have loved to see a full yr's numbers under Leach. Either way, I'm buying. In a+ situation in CHI
@evansilva @TheCFX @DavisMattek rather Wilson or Moncrief for long term project?
@bedmonds15 @evansilva @DavisMattek moncrief because he's paired with Luck, was nearly as young/dominant and is physical freak
I like Wilson's talent, but it is just a bit of a shame that he is a longer term asset to hold, as he will be playing behind Marshall and Jeffery for at least a few more years (barring injury, of course).

Things change in the NFL so fast. Being just one injury away from starting time is not a bad place to be in at all for a prospect with big upside who costs next to nothing, imo.

Hoping for a trade. Carolina, Cleveland should be sniffing around. There are a lot of guys that will get cut though depressing the trade market at the wr level.

Xue said:
He's a younger and better version of Devin Street and no less talented than Justin Hunter.
Oddly enough, I took Wilson over Hunter in a Devy league a few years ago and everyone was shocked.

Rotoworld:

Marquess Wilson - WR - Bears

Bears second-year WR Marquess Wilson is working as Chicago's primary third receiver at OTAs.

He's with the first-team offense in three-receiver sets, which coach Marc Trestman figures to utilize more often this season. We suspect Wilson and Alshon Jeffery will mostly wind up outside, with Brandon Marshall lining up in the slot. Jeffery's Combine weigh-in was 6-foot-3, 213. Marshall's was 6-foot-4 1/2, 229. Wilson's was 6-foot-3, 194. These guys are gonna score a lot of TDs.

May 28 - 9:20 PM

Rotoworld:

Bears WR Marquess Wilson is up to 207 pounds after being listed at 184 as a rookie.

In the driver's seat for No. 3 duties behind Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery, the 6-foot-4 Wilson is bulking up his previously-spindly frame. Wilson could take a big step forward this season even though he'll have trouble making a fantasy impact behind his two star teammates.

Source: Rich Campbell on Twitter

Rotoworld:

ESPN Chicago's Michael C. Wright believes the Bears are "pretty confident" second-year WR Marquess Wilson will win the No. 3 receiver job.
The criticisms of Wilson coming out of school were his maturity and lean frame. He has mitigated them by keeping his nose clean and adding more than 20 pounds. He is a high-upside Dynasty stash and could even make waves in re-draft leagues if Brandon Marshall or Alshon Jeffery goes down to injury.

Do yourself a favor and draft this guy late. The Bears offense will be sick and Cutler will exploit this guys speed when the defense is doubling Marshall / Jeffery. If either of those guys get hurt, bump this guy tremendously.

This should be a pretty offense to watch this season. The Bears signed the Saints old Center, btw.

Users who are viewing this thread