What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (13 Viewers)

I don't know about either of these, but why CMG? 

From personal experience, the Chipotle by my office used to have a line around the block at lunch, now I can walk in and out in 3 minutes, same deal by two different locations close to my house. Small sample size obviously, but it feels like it is going to be some time before they right the ship.

Yeah, Chipotle concerns me.
I hear you which is why it's just a small taste for now.  I'm looking to add more if it continues to go lower.

Why do you hate cheap gas?
:lol:

I drive 6,000 miles a year, at 17 mpg that is about 352 gallons a year - the difference of $2 and $3 is $352 a year to me... I'd much rather make large quantities betting on or against oil... I've been fairly good at calling oil and been pretty bearish for the better part of the last year - the trend has now flipped.

The market is rebalancing for the second half of the year. I've been touting oil now since the high $30's, I anticipate it rides to $50 before we see some headwinds - it will take some time for producers to get back online, but I would like to capitalize on the last 15% or so higher I'm confident this is heading in the near-term. 

Is it possible to short leveraged funds? I read people saying they did it, but that sounds like bull#### to me.

Wouldn't it make sense to just short the bull/bear side of each leveraged fund if it was possible?
I've done it for FAZ by selling calls/buying puts for a synthetic short. I've never been able to directly short FAZ, always says 'no shares available to short'.

Holding a lot of FB here.  Anyone doing anything today?  Maybe take my profits and leave my initial investment behind?  

Any thoughts?

Can someone explain to me how FB is worth $350B and Google is worth $485B?

Something out of whack there IMO, either Google should be worth more or FB less - Google does 3.5-4x the revenue of FB, they've got a massive pipeline for the future, and the most successful tech company ever. 

The two valuations of these companies don't make sense to me. Going from $5B a quarter to $18B (Goog's most recent quarter) is still crazy crazy growth. Google seems like a lot more of a value play.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it possible to short leveraged funds? I read people saying they did it, but that sounds like bull#### to me.

Wouldn't it make sense to just short the bull/bear side of each leveraged fund if it was possible?
I believe it is, but the carrying costs are huge.  Not to mention typically each of these leveraged funds have an inverse leveraged fund.  

They're all sucker's bets, anyway.

AMZN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone explain to me how FB is worth $350B and Google is worth $485B?

Something out of whack there IMO, either Google should be worth more or FB less - Google does 3.5-4x the revenue of FB, they've got a massive pipeline for the future, and the most successful tech company ever. 

The two valuations of these companies don't make sense to me. Going from $5B a quarter to $18B (Goog's most recent quarter) is still crazy crazy growth. Google seems like a lot more of a value play.
Nobody responded to this...

Is the thought simply that FB will be bigger than Google one day? 

:lol:

I drive 6,000 miles a year, at 17 mpg that is about 352 gallons a year - the difference of $2 and $3 is $352 a year to me... I'd much rather make large quantities betting on or against oil... I've been fairly good at calling oil and been pretty bearish for the better part of the last year - the trend has now flipped.

The market is rebalancing for the second half of the year. I've been touting oil now since the high $30's, I anticipate it rides to $50 before we see some headwinds - it will take some time for producers to get back online, but I would like to capitalize on the last 15% or so higher I'm confident this is heading in the near-term. 
I'll agree with that. Moved into a commodities fund I've been watching plummet for the last 4 years. BRCYX. Got in later than I should have but I am riding this. I noticed that their % cash holdings went from 98%  to 73% last quarter so I was guessing that they were sitting back in cash for the most part until things turned. My only concern is that Cramer is touting XLB - Materials Select Sector SPDR ETF which is part of what BRCYX invests in.

So P/E goes from 435 to 488.  And AAPL is at 11.  

If ever one thought the market was rational...

This makes no sense to me either.  I am probably too old school when it comes to reviewing PE due to the huge changes in the market over the last 20 years.  However, Amazon, netflix, etc are just to far out there for me too touch.  I sold amazon 6 months ago taking my profits off the table thinking they price was unsustainable then.  I just don't get it.    

ETA: of course they are up 10% today - why wouldn't they be

This makes no sense to me either.  I am probably too old school when it comes to reviewing PE due to the huge changes in the market over the last 20 years.  However, Amazon, netflix, etc are just to far out there for me too touch.  I sold amazon 6 months ago taking my profits off the table thinking they price was unsustainable then.  I just don't get it.    

ETA: of course they are up 10% today - why wouldn't they be
I didn't get it for A LONG time either.  I do now and only wish I would have years ago.  Amazon has been trying to become the world's "company store" and they are succeeding at it.

I didn't get it for A LONG time either.  I do now and only wish I would have years ago.  Amazon has been trying to become the world's "company store" and they are succeeding at it.
I have a least one order a week personally, usually more.   I place orders for our company and order products on more days then I don't.   I was not like this two years ago.    Plus with the fire stick, I use something from amazon everyday.

Sold out of my oil positions for some nice profits... I think the ceiling is around $50-$55, so I'm going to take a step back and enjoy the nice ride the last few weeks have been.

I'm in on 1250 shares of TVIX. I expect a market temper tantrum leading up to the Fed decision next month - could have some bumpy roads ahead. At $3.83 and the VIX already really low, this has double up potential and the $5k risk is worth the reward, my :2cents:

Got home, put  CNBC on, see an after hours NFLX price of $101.xx, up $10.xx.   Was :excited: wondering wtf happened and unfortunately it looks like somebody just got ganked on a market order.

Well played!

When I saw it was already down 2.5ish% at the time you did it, I was surprised, not knowing any actual details. Nicely done. 

:thumbup:   Thanks GB's.

I would have waited to see if it could test $30 but my youngest was playing piano in the school talent show today.  Still, pretty damn happy about it.   I think there's a good possibility it goes to zero but that was too good to pass up. 

My initial short of VRX in February (100) was at $88.71 and covered two days later at $79.29.  Sheesh, there was a fortune to be had.

Went by the one near our house last night.  Line was about like it used to be.  Interesting.
Stock keeps going up, need to add the second half of money next down turn I guess.  Thought with the China numbers today would be down and a good chance to add shares in a couple of things. Also have my eye on UA.

I'm in on 1250 shares of TVIX. I expect a market temper tantrum leading up to the Fed decision next month - could have some bumpy roads ahead. At $3.83 and the VIX already really low, this has double up potential and the $5k risk is worth the reward, my :2cents:
Awful play here. The VIX was even on the day and this was down 5%, how does that work? There is volatility in the works, maybe I'm just a touch early to the party. 

New to the thread and stock trading. Trying long and swing plays and have been reading as much as possible. I started by buying the dip at the end of February. Was in FIT at 12.14 and only ended up +$300...fail, but a good lesson I guess. Also in XLE, AAPL, and SPY. Just bought UA at 38.99. 

New to the thread and stock trading. Trying long and swing plays and have been reading as much as possible. I started by buying the dip at the end of February. Was in FIT at 12.14 and only ended up +$300...fail, but a good lesson I guess. Also in XLE, AAPL, and SPY. Just bought UA at 38.99. 
Welcome! :thumbup:

Awful play here. The VIX was even on the day and this was down 5%, how does that work? There is volatility in the works, maybe I'm just a touch early to the party. 
I like following the VIX, I don't invest in it, but I feel like I somewhat understand it.

When you are trading vix indexes you are trading on people buying short term options that cost money, they can be quite expensive.  If the market goes flat you stand to lose all your premiums.  Different vix tracking funds use longer term options to reduce variability, but their fees are higher and their returns are more banded.  

You, yourself can go out and directly buy options on the VIX. This is a far cheaper way to do it.  But you need to have some serious balls to sell those naked.

Don't beat yourself up. There'll be other stocks!
In their first year AMZN B2B did almost 1/3 in sales of what ODP did in the same period.  If someone else doesn't buy ODP,  they'll be out of business in 2 years.  

Again, terrible decision by FTC.  Somebody got to this judge IMO.  He was for the merger and called the government's reasons to block it without merit, which he was right.  SO MANY competitors out there.  

Forced to hold for a while now to see how it plays out. Hell, maybe AMZN will make a bid.  I don't think SPLS in its current form will exist either in 5 years. Maybe not at all. Business has changed dramatically.  You can buy EVERYTHING SPLS and ODP sells online from thousands of different etailers at 20-50% less.  Plus the other big boys Sams, Costco,  Walmart ate pushing into the OS market.  Only advantage SPLS/ODP has id on copy paper because it costs so much to ship. 

Love all the analyst views on this.  Heard multiple people say "it's like the government is pretending the Internet doesn't exist" which of course is 100% correct.  Another that they ruled this way to protect big business since these two, as of right now, have most of the Fortune 100 corporate business.  That of course was my opinion last night with the somebody got to the judge.  Just hope that since ODP isn't appealing they have a Plan B in place. 

Yeah I'm whining like a ##### but unlike my previous gambles, this is something I know a whole hell of a lot about. 

Users who are viewing this thread