Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, metoo said:

What makes Apple a buy? Unless you're buying it as a value play I don't see it. Even then I would want it in the 80s.

 

3 hours ago, St. Louis Bob said:

IMO mostly because of Apple Pay.  The iPhone 7 coming out next year that is a complete re-design.  They pay a decent dividend and have tons of cash which is a good thing too.

Also, Apple Watch.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AAPL = dead money. In fact, it's been dead money for over a year now. You would have been better off putting your $ in the S&P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Oil up 2% after API data :thumbup:

Lets bust through $45 tomorrow!!

:kicksrock:

It was up there pre-EIA report... Started selling 3 minutes before the report heavily, someone had to have the inside track there. I'm staying the course, still think oil will top $50.

Once it starts getting in the $50-$55 range, at that point you need to start watching for producers coming back online - I've been as bearish as anyone on oil until the last month, but the market is rebalancing.

My real concern is a dollar rally on false FED nonsense, that will hurt oil. We basically know that they won't hike rates more than 50 basis points this year, so who gives a #### what they say, it is all bull####, just like everything they always say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible to short leveraged funds? I read people saying they did it, but that sounds like bull#### to me.

Wouldn't it make sense to just short the bull/bear side of each leveraged fund if it was possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, St. Louis Bob said:

Took opening positions:

 

TWTR 100 at $15.07

CMG 5 at $426.95

I don't know about either of these, but why CMG? 

From personal experience, the Chipotle by my office used to have a line around the block at lunch, now I can walk in and out in 3 minutes, same deal by two different locations close to my house. Small sample size obviously, but it feels like it is going to be some time before they right the ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

I don't know about either of these, but why CMG? 

From personal experience, the Chipotle by my office used to have a line around the block at lunch, now I can walk in and out in 3 minutes, same deal by two different locations close to my house. Small sample size obviously, but it feels like it is going to be some time before they right the ship.

 

5 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, Chipotle concerns me.

I hear you which is why it's just a small taste for now.  I'm looking to add more if it continues to go lower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oil in a bull trend, even with bearish news, still heading north... Now we just need Yellin to not #### this one up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Why do you hate cheap gas?

:lol:

I drive 6,000 miles a year, at 17 mpg that is about 352 gallons a year - the difference of $2 and $3 is $352 a year to me... I'd much rather make large quantities betting on or against oil... I've been fairly good at calling oil and been pretty bearish for the better part of the last year - the trend has now flipped.

The market is rebalancing for the second half of the year. I've been touting oil now since the high $30's, I anticipate it rides to $50 before we see some headwinds - it will take some time for producers to get back online, but I would like to capitalize on the last 15% or so higher I'm confident this is heading in the near-term. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Is it possible to short leveraged funds? I read people saying they did it, but that sounds like bull#### to me.

Wouldn't it make sense to just short the bull/bear side of each leveraged fund if it was possible?

I've done it for FAZ by selling calls/buying puts for a synthetic short. I've never been able to directly short FAZ, always says 'no shares available to short'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holding a lot of FB here.  Anyone doing anything today?  Maybe take my profits and leave my initial investment behind?  

Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, John Bender said:

Holding a lot of FB here.  Anyone doing anything today?  Maybe take my profits and leave my initial investment behind?  

Any thoughts?

If you're up a ton, I might consider doing the reverse. Pull your initial investment out, and let the profits ride. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can someone explain to me how FB is worth $350B and Google is worth $485B?

Something out of whack there IMO, either Google should be worth more or FB less - Google does 3.5-4x the revenue of FB, they've got a massive pipeline for the future, and the most successful tech company ever. 

The two valuations of these companies don't make sense to me. Going from $5B a quarter to $18B (Goog's most recent quarter) is still crazy crazy growth. Google seems like a lot more of a value play.

Edited by fantasycurse42

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/27/2016 at 9:59 AM, fantasycurse42 said:

Is it possible to short leveraged funds? I read people saying they did it, but that sounds like bull#### to me.

Wouldn't it make sense to just short the bull/bear side of each leveraged fund if it was possible?

I believe it is, but the carrying costs are huge.  Not to mention typically each of these leveraged funds have an inverse leveraged fund.  

They're all sucker's bets, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Bender said:

Holding a lot of FB here.  Anyone doing anything today?  Maybe take my profits and leave my initial investment behind?  

Any thoughts?

 

3 hours ago, kevzilla said:

If you're up a ton, I might consider doing the reverse. Pull your initial investment out, and let the profits ride. 

I agree with Kev but I personally don't think FB is anywhere near a plateu, the are just beginning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AMZN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, St. Louis Bob said:

AMZN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So P/E goes from 435 to 488.  And AAPL is at 11.  

If ever one thought the market was rational...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Can someone explain to me how FB is worth $350B and Google is worth $485B?

Something out of whack there IMO, either Google should be worth more or FB less - Google does 3.5-4x the revenue of FB, they've got a massive pipeline for the future, and the most successful tech company ever. 

The two valuations of these companies don't make sense to me. Going from $5B a quarter to $18B (Goog's most recent quarter) is still crazy crazy growth. Google seems like a lot more of a value play.

Nobody responded to this...

Is the thought simply that FB will be bigger than Google one day? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:11 PM, fantasycurse42 said:

:lol:

I drive 6,000 miles a year, at 17 mpg that is about 352 gallons a year - the difference of $2 and $3 is $352 a year to me... I'd much rather make large quantities betting on or against oil... I've been fairly good at calling oil and been pretty bearish for the better part of the last year - the trend has now flipped.

The market is rebalancing for the second half of the year. I've been touting oil now since the high $30's, I anticipate it rides to $50 before we see some headwinds - it will take some time for producers to get back online, but I would like to capitalize on the last 15% or so higher I'm confident this is heading in the near-term. 

I'll agree with that. Moved into a commodities fund I've been watching plummet for the last 4 years. BRCYX. Got in later than I should have but I am riding this. I noticed that their % cash holdings went from 98%  to 73% last quarter so I was guessing that they were sitting back in cash for the most part until things turned. My only concern is that Cramer is touting XLB - Materials Select Sector SPDR ETF which is part of what BRCYX invests in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Sand said:

So P/E goes from 435 to 488.  And AAPL is at 11.  

If ever one thought the market was rational...

 
 

This makes no sense to me either.  I am probably too old school when it comes to reviewing PE due to the huge changes in the market over the last 20 years.  However, Amazon, netflix, etc are just to far out there for me too touch.  I sold amazon 6 months ago taking my profits off the table thinking they price was unsustainable then.  I just don't get it.    

 

ETA: of course they are up 10% today - why wouldn't they be

Edited by sbonomo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2015 at 11:23 AM, St. Louis Bob said:

 

Added 25 BIDU @ $150.47 for 44 @ $178.54

 

Was way down, then way up, then even, then up for a nice profit, then this.  Not sure exactly how the Chinese will handle this but I'm sold today at $179.97 after losing another nice profit today after an almost 8% plunge and watch from the sidelines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2016 at 9:53 AM, sbonomo said:

This makes no sense to me either.  I am probably too old school when it comes to reviewing PE due to the huge changes in the market over the last 20 years.  However, Amazon, netflix, etc are just to far out there for me too touch.  I sold amazon 6 months ago taking my profits off the table thinking they price was unsustainable then.  I just don't get it.    

 

ETA: of course they are up 10% today - why wouldn't they be

I didn't get it for A LONG time either.  I do now and only wish I would have years ago.  Amazon has been trying to become the world's "company store" and they are succeeding at it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, St. Louis Bob said:

I didn't get it for A LONG time either.  I do now and only wish I would have years ago.  Amazon has been trying to become the world's "company store" and they are succeeding at it.

I have a least one order a week personally, usually more.   I place orders for our company and order products on more days then I don't.   I was not like this two years ago.    Plus with the fire stick, I use something from amazon everyday.

Edited by FatUncleJerryBuss
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FatUncleJerryBuss said:

I have a least one order a week personally, usually more.   I place orders for our company and order products on more days then I don't.   I was not like this two years ago.    Plus with the fire stick, I use something from amazon everyday.

Yep, me too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, St. Louis Bob said:

Yep, me too. 

How does it feel to sell your soul?  Again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 8:03 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah, Chipotle concerns me.

Went by the one near our house last night.  Line was about like it used to be.  Interesting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold out of my oil positions for some nice profits... I think the ceiling is around $50-$55, so I'm going to take a step back and enjoy the nice ride the last few weeks have been.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm in on 1250 shares of TVIX. I expect a market temper tantrum leading up to the Fed decision next month - could have some bumpy roads ahead. At $3.83 and the VIX already really low, this has double up potential and the $5k risk is worth the reward, my :2cents:

 

Edited by fantasycurse42
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got home, put  CNBC on, see an after hours NFLX price of $101.xx, up $10.xx.   Was :excited: wondering wtf happened and unfortunately it looks like somebody just got ganked on a market order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, St. Louis Bob said:

Sold short 1000 VRX @ $33.99

Covered @ $31.59 for a profit of $2400.00

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2016 at 8:29 AM, St. Louis Bob said:

Sold short 1000 VRX @ $33.99

Well played!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, St. Louis Bob said:

Covered @ $31.59 for a profit of $2400.00

When I saw it was already down 2.5ish% at the time you did it, I was surprised, not knowing any actual details. Nicely done. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, skycriesmary said:

Well played!

 

3 hours ago, RUSF18 said:

When I saw it was already down 2.5ish% at the time you did it, I was surprised, not knowing any actual details. Nicely done. 

 

:thumbup:  Thanks GB's.


I would have waited to see if it could test $30 but my youngest was playing piano in the school talent show today.  Still, pretty damn happy about it.   I think there's a good possibility it goes to zero but that was too good to pass up. 

 

My initial short of VRX in February (100) was at $88.71 and covered two days later at $79.29.  Sheesh, there was a fortune to be had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2016 at 10:53 AM, Bob Sacamano said:

Went by the one near our house last night.  Line was about like it used to be.  Interesting.

Stock keeps going up, need to add the second half of money next down turn I guess.  Thought with the China numbers today would be down and a good chance to add shares in a couple of things. Also have my eye on UA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2016 at 1:53 PM, fantasycurse42 said:

I'm in on 1250 shares of TVIX. I expect a market temper tantrum leading up to the Fed decision next month - could have some bumpy roads ahead. At $3.83 and the VIX already really low, this has double up potential and the $5k risk is worth the reward, my :2cents:

 

Awful play here. The VIX was even on the day and this was down 5%, how does that work? There is volatility in the works, maybe I'm just a touch early to the party. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New to the thread and stock trading. Trying long and swing plays and have been reading as much as possible. I started by buying the dip at the end of February. Was in FIT at 12.14 and only ended up +$300...fail, but a good lesson I guess. Also in XLE, AAPL, and SPY. Just bought UA at 38.99. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Demian said:

New to the thread and stock trading. Trying long and swing plays and have been reading as much as possible. I started by buying the dip at the end of February. Was in FIT at 12.14 and only ended up +$300...fail, but a good lesson I guess. Also in XLE, AAPL, and SPY. Just bought UA at 38.99. 

Welcome! :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, fantasycurse42 said:

Awful play here. The VIX was even on the day and this was down 5%, how does that work? There is volatility in the works, maybe I'm just a touch early to the party. 

I like following the VIX, I don't invest in it, but I feel like I somewhat understand it.

When you are trading vix indexes you are trading on people buying short term options that cost money, they can be quite expensive.  If the market goes flat you stand to lose all your premiums.  Different vix tracking funds use longer term options to reduce variability, but their fees are higher and their returns are more banded.  

You, yourself can go out and directly buy options on the VIX. This is a far cheaper way to do it.  But you need to have some serious balls to sell those naked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

Anyone else here getting the feeling it might be time to take some profit ahead of another downturn? 

This is where I was when I bought TVIX last week, not working out so well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, St. Louis Bob said:

Gambling on 2000 ODP at $6.16

Spiked to $6.99 around 4:30 then back to $6.09.  Just spiked to $8.00, held around $7.00, now at $6.5x but no news on the wires.....  WTF

Edited by St. Louis Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, St. Louis Bob said:

Spiked to $6.99 around 4:30 then back to $6.09.  Just spiked to $8.00, held around $7.00, now at $6.5x but no news on the wires.....  WTF

Now halted and at $4.50.  ####KKKKKK

FWIW I put a sell in at $7.50 that never tripped

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.