What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (17 Viewers)

Dude, where do you find these penny stocks?  Fine throwing less than 1% of your portfolio at gambles like this but you are doing this wrong if these are all you play.
I just look at whatever Fidelity's top buys of the day are. I chase volume, I'm not investing much money.

Had a chance to buy in at 126% but waffled. It's up 188% now. I know there's gonna be regression when everyone sells for profit but I probably would have dumped in after hours anyway.

I just look at whatever Fidelity's top buys of the day are. I chase volume, I'm not investing much money.

Had a chance to buy in at 126% but waffled. It's up 188% now. I know there's gonna be regression when everyone sells for profit but I probably would have dumped in after hours anyway.
Ok fair enough.  Up 246% now

Anyone with insights into Prudential (PRU)? I like large cap dividend stocks and it is trading at a P/E of 7. What am I missing?

So Charter can buy Time Warner but Office Depot and Staples merger is a problem?
The government is so corrupt is becoming hysterical.  Very poisonous to start going down this path, especially after blocking the PFE and AGN merger as well for tax purposes.  Sidenote, MGT was halted 3 times in the first 90 minutes of trading the other day.  

Might want to be careful with the oil plays Monday. French refineries slowing down and fires in Canada are under control, Syncrude opening back up production. 

Think we're going to be range bound for a little while which represents risks to most of the leveraged oil ETFs.

Anyone with insights into Prudential (PRU)? I like large cap dividend stocks and it is trading at a P/E of 7. What am I missing?
In a specific sense I don't follow this one.  In a general sense a flat yield curve kills insurance companies - they've been hurting lately as a group..  

I made a killing in CPXX the same way.  It went up over 400% in one day.  I bought around 7.75 and sold at 12.  It's almost 17 now.  

Thoughts on Netflix going forward?

They are popping today due to a deal with Disney to stream their movies starting in September. I can get out now at about breakeven but honestly, I can go either way on where the stock is heading. 

Might want to be careful with the oil plays Monday. French refineries slowing down and fires in Canada are under control, Syncrude opening back up production. 

Think we're going to be range bound for a little while which represents risks to most of the leveraged oil ETFs.
Even on the dips, we're holding nicely from getting too crushed.  Still holding the volatile stuff and haven't had to chew on a rock yet.

Tough to pinpoint the specific driver here for crude and energy more broadly.  Seems like distillate leading the way, which is usually a positive.  Europe is better bid and expectations are for some decent draws in the stats tomorrow. General theme to buy the dip in energy continues with spread strength marching on.  We''ll see if the market looks to retest the highs. Prompt vol is down small though.

Last edited by a moderator:
IRBT has done real well for me over time and even more so recently. I was worried when they sold their military/security business and thought about selling but their consumer business is just booming. Glad I didn't sell. Second best return in my portfolio from strike (only behind BAC when I bought at near bottom of it's pricing) but I suspect actually the best annualized.

Could be its own thread but probably not worthy: I'd greatly appreciate suggestions in filling out my positions in dividend stocks. Time horizon is twenty years. Roth IRA so I don't need to worry about paying taxes on gains or dividends. So far I've populated it with my favorite stocks but I know I'm light or devoid of several sectors, and probably too tech-heavy. In the next year, what three dividend paying stocks would best round out these current holdings: AAPL, MSFT, PFE, PRU, QCOM, XOM, FUJHY (Fuji Heavy which makes Subaru). Thanks in advance.

I can look tomorrow but FWIW, your current holdings look great to me. Nice job picking those. 
Thanks, I appreciate it. Maybe it's helpful also to know what I've considered but not bought for various reasons, usually price: CAT, KMB, MCD, DOW, DIS. Very close to pulling the trigger on DOW at 50 but I missed it.

Could be its own thread but probably not worthy: I'd greatly appreciate suggestions in filling out my positions in dividend stocks. Time horizon is twenty years. Roth IRA so I don't need to worry about paying taxes on gains or dividends. So far I've populated it with my favorite stocks but I know I'm light or devoid of several sectors, and probably too tech-heavy. In the next year, what three dividend paying stocks would best round out these current holdings: AAPL, MSFT, PFE, PRU, QCOM, XOM, FUJHY (Fuji Heavy which makes Subaru). Thanks in advance.
Yeah, lot of tech in there but good companies.  I think any of MO, MCD, GD, GM, PG, could make sense.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Maybe it's helpful also to know what I've considered but not bought for various reasons, usually price: CAT, KMB, MCD, DOW, DIS. Very close to pulling the trigger on DOW at 50 but I missed it.
I wouldn't be scared of CAT.  CAT is going nowhere.  I'm long in it and have been for some time.

That said, this might not be the right strike price to get in on it.  Again - will take a look tomorrow (and there's others here about 100x smarter than me, but I think you did a great job of picking the right spots).  Love the XOM play

They are popping today due to a deal with Disney to stream their movies starting in September. I can get out now at about breakeven but honestly, I can go either way on where the stock is heading. 
Up almost 5% in premarket due to Apple's supposed interest in media...I'm out today at around $105.

Short 1000 VRX at $25.73
Mother####er.  Was walking the other day and noticed I could cash this for a small profit.  Was almost home and didn't feel like ####### with it on my phone.  15 minutes later it moved over $1.00 and I was back in the red.  Now because they turned down a couple of offers to be acquired, it goes crazy. Personally I think they turned the offers down because their books are so cooked.  Will cover today and look to short again soon.

Could cash a nice profit but like them long term.  Holding personally.

I might finally stop being stubborn here and take some AAPL and FBOOK profits today myself and leave the rest in there for the long run.

I'm in APPL for 161 @ $94.14 and after the dip last week feels pretty good to have made almost 6%.

FB for 119 @ $101.15 - up 18.03% on my investment.  This one feels safer right now or with a better chance of a big long term higher upside to me.

Staying in oil with averages of $10.64 and $31.31 in UCO and UWTI respectively (along with my solid stuff, XOM, KMI and SLB).  
I'm not really scared any more of losing my shirt.  Feels like we've done a great job these past 1 or 2 months of holding and establishing a new normal range and it's not what we went through in February.  I like we're I'm at in all oil.

Also - happy long weekend to the usuals in here and thanks for any advice or just general spitballing over the last year we've done.  Cheers.

Mother####er.  Was walking the other day and noticed I could cash this for a small profit.  Was almost home and didn't feel like ####### with it on my phone.  15 minutes later it moved over $1.00 and I was back in the red.  Now because they turned down a couple of offers to be acquired, it goes crazy. Personally I think they turned the offers down because their books are so cooked.  Will cover today and look to short again soon.
Out at $28.00 for a loss $2270.00

Stupid question here, but I have these fractional shares of various stocks that I own. First, how did I get them? From dividends or something? And secondly, how do I get rid of them? I recently sold my stake in COP, but it wouldn't let me sell the .660 share of it that I had somehow accumulated. So the value of that is just tied up forever and I can't ever get paid for it or what? It's not a lot of money obviously, but it's annoying more than anything else.

BeTheMatch said:
Stupid question here, but I have these fractional shares of various stocks that I own. First, how did I get them? From dividends or something? And secondly, how do I get rid of them? I recently sold my stake in COP, but it wouldn't let me sell the .660 share of it that I had somehow accumulated. So the value of that is just tied up forever and I can't ever get paid for it or what? It's not a lot of money obviously, but it's annoying more than anything else.
Do you have an automatic dividend reinvestment option turned on?  I'll bet that's where it comes from.  As far as getting rid I'm surprised they wouldn't sell them for you.  I'd give your broker a call and ask.

Do you have an automatic dividend reinvestment option turned on?  I'll bet that's where it comes from.  As far as getting rid I'm surprised they wouldn't sell them for you.  I'd give your broker a call and ask.
Yes, I do. When I went to sell them, I tried to put in the fractional share as well, and it wouldn't allow it. I go through USAA. Not exactly their specialty. And to sell it now, if I could, would cost me as much in fees as the fractional share is worth.

So what would happen to that dividend if I didn't have it turned on to reinvest? Would it just go to cash within my account?

Yes, I do. When I went to sell them, I tried to put in the fractional share as well, and it wouldn't allow it. I go through USAA. Not exactly their specialty. And to sell it now, if I could, would cost me as much in fees as the fractional share is worth.

I can tell you that Fidelity just has a "sell all shares" option and it dumps out the fractions at that time as well.  Surprised all sites don't, since with DRIP being such a popular choice, you will all end up with a ton of fractional shares out there and who wants that?

The Big Guy said:
I can tell you that Fidelity just has a "sell all shares" option and it dumps out the fractions at that time as well.  Surprised all sites don't, since with DRIP being such a popular choice, you will all end up with a ton of fractional shares out there and who wants that?
Now it looks like the fractional share is gone too. So I don't know how that worked, or if I got paid for it or what. Didn't disappear until a day or two after the original sale.

ETA:  Looks like they called it a withdrawal in lieu of. Did it automatically for me. So I did get the cash for it.

Thoughts on any of the bank stocks...been staring down Wells Fargo for some time now. 

Also thinking about cashing out my gains on Amazon.

I made a killing in CPXX the same way.  It went up over 400% in one day.  I bought around 7.75 and sold at 12.  It's almost 17 now.  
If I would have held on to this for another couple of weeks it would have changed my life.  It was painful seeing this hit $30 today.  I'm down about 15% since selling it too, which makes the sting even worse.  Still made a gain, but this would have been a game changer.

I've got some good sources who believe that OPEC will actually announce an output ceiling tomorrow, it isn't just posturing for CNBC - I'd recommend a small gamble on UCO for some of you looking to roll the dice. 

fantasycurse42 said:
I've got some good sources who believe that OPEC will actually announce an output ceiling tomorrow, it isn't just posturing for CNBC - I'd recommend a small gamble on UCO for some of you looking to roll the dice. 
Welp

Been following and trading RLYP since last October. All signs pointing to a buyout pretty soon. Should head to 30 if it doesn't happen right away. A lot of good news recently. 

Just heard some scoop on issues at Cushing. Can't go into too much detail, but I'm very bullish oil the next few days, as I did yesterday, recommend a quick play for some profit.

Just heard some scoop on issues at Cushing. Can't go into too much detail, but I'm very bullish oil the next few days, as I did yesterday, recommend a quick play for some profit.
Back over $50!

I read somewhere earlier maybe some more issues in Nigeria too.,,

Back over $50!

I read somewhere earlier maybe some more issues in Nigeria too.,,
Things to keep on the radar:

Norwegian oil Union labor talks on 6/20

Brazil oil Union 24 hour strike next week

Floods in Texas (problems at Magellan?)

Donges (not a joke) Refinery 

The draw was smaller this week bc we're importing more. We're taking on the glut, and still there is a draw. If we're importing more, it also means there are draws elsewhere. 

Overall, the DOE report was supportive of bulls. As mentioned there could be some issues at Cushing this week that could also be supportive of bulls.

FC do you invest in individual oil companies? I'm currently in PGH and AREX. Sold BCEI on dead cat bounce the day after that bad news came out on their financing. 

Users who are viewing this thread