What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (29 Viewers)

Brent just lost $50, again... 
Yup

UWTI dip looks juicy once again here.

Is there any weekend news expect, especially being a long weekend that might affect holding shares through the long weekend?  Also seems risky to have a 3x leveraged piece over a long weekend where the entire world is involved in it's pricing. You seem pretty plugged in on news on this front (would love to know how you do it).

Outstanding pick today.
Glad some folks got on the DEO bandwagon. Up about 7% in a week, myself, and I didn't even nail the bottom. Now I'm not sure if it is a Hold. Think I'll roll the dice and see if it touches 115 before selling. Anyone else selling soon or holding?

Thursday marks the end of Q2 and I have a feeling most money managers are going to be reporting dismal news to their investors. I think a lot of them have moved to more defensive positions with an eyeball to discounted buying next week after the holiday weekend.  I'm holding out a small hope that there will be some window dressing buying today and tomorrow to ease the pain of reporting an awful month/quarter/YTD number to investors, but I'm not seeing it today after a promising start.  

Thanks England.  Glad your soccer team lost.  ######s.
I agree.  Added 500 more FAZ at $38.20 for 1000 at $41.59

Glad some folks got on the DEO bandwagon. Up about 7% in a week, myself, and I didn't even nail the bottom. Now I'm not sure if it is a Hold. Think I'll roll the dice and see if it touches 115 before selling. Anyone else selling soon or holding?
I had the same thought. I liked it long term and figured I was getting it cheap on Friday. But I always get a little nervous when I see a quick run on a long term play.  

I got in last week, and sold today for just a 7% gain. If I was staying in the market in general, I would have held. People will always drink. I just see it dumping below 100 when and if a real correction happens.

I have been in DEO since 2008. But added more on Friday.

To me this is a core holding. A recession proof type of play. Growing dividend in something everybody wants/needs. Alcohol. Great company.

It is the type of stock you take of advantage of stupid sell off's and add more and more over the years. Like T, GIS, CLX, DOW etc. Stuff people absolutely need to live are stocks I love to own. 

Hence my NGG and VOD suggestion on Friday. NGG is up over 8% (with a great 4 plus % yield) from where I entered and VOD is only  up 3% but I don't care. That dividend is awesome and the stock is dirt cheap. I also added more BUD Friday at 122.22 and am up 7.81% already on beer. Paying 2.55% as well. 

The bounce back we have had has been a surprise. I did not think it would be this quick and furious. It just goes to show you how stupid the sell off on Friday was. Pure emotion with no rational thought. And another lesson to investors that the you need to be able to take advantage of those kinds of days in a market where we are not in a recession. There is no financial crisis here (yet lol). Buy with confidence in great companies.

Last edited by a moderator:
John Bender said:
Yup

UWTI dip looks juicy once again here.

Is there any weekend news expect, especially being a long weekend that might affect holding shares through the long weekend?  Also seems risky to have a 3x leveraged piece over a long weekend where the entire world is involved in it's pricing. You seem pretty plugged in on news on this front (would love to know how you do it).
Yes dude!! Just saw this... Norwegian oil workers are in intense negotiations, they might walk off tomorrow, we'll know overnight. 

If they reach a deal, oil prob falls... If they don't, it prob rises.

Tread lightly. I've been mentioning this for over a month!

TSLA getting murdered after hours after a fatal car crash involving a self driving car.

No news articles on it yet: just twitter blasts. 

This may drag things down tomorrow:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/puerto-rico-faces-record-default-163939876.html

Munis have been going nuts lately.  I'm hoping for a small panic to buy more in the CEF space.  This may spill over into market equities, but who knows.

As a side note, the article goes through the list of government agencies in PR that have debt.  The amount of debt spread all over the place there is staggering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt-mpuR_QHQ

This may drag things down tomorrow:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/puerto-rico-faces-record-default-163939876.html

Munis have been going nuts lately.  I'm hoping for a small panic to buy more in the CEF space.  This may spill over into market equities, but who knows.

As a side note, the article goes through the list of government agencies in PR that have debt.  The amount of debt spread all over the place there is staggering.
Municipal bonds Ted, I'm talking double A rating. . .the best investment in America

Awful story obviously. Even though they occur at a lower frequency than human error-caused crashes, it likely won't matter much in the eyes of the public.

Jalopnik says the driver posted a youtube video of a near-accident in April where he admits he "wasn't paying attention" but the car saved his life avoiding a crash with a truck merging in front of him. So there's certainly the case that Tesla's "autopilot" still requires human attention.

Obviously from reading the report it seems that it was only scanning normal-light vision, instead of using radar/lidar to identify objects in front of it. I've always imagined that full autonomous driving will require more than just scanning the normal visual range.

What a week. Not sure what the rest of the summer brings. I'm guessing lower volatility until about the 15th when a lot of earnings start coming out.

I made a very bad play grabbing a LOT of TVIX @ $2.31, and now I'm holding it into the weekend at $2.06 because I don't want my lunch eaten :fingers crossed:

Made another nice profit today buying UWTI yesterday and trading it during it's 3:30 PM run up. Starting to get the hang of playing oil. Been very good to me. 

Enjoy the weekend boys.

What a week. Not sure what the rest of the summer brings. I'm guessing lower volatility until about the 15th when a lot of earnings start coming out.

I made a very bad play grabbing a LOT of TVIX @ $2.31, and now I'm holding it into the weekend at $2.06 because I don't want my lunch eaten :fingers crossed:

Made another nice profit today buying UWTI yesterday and trading it during it's 3:30 PM run up. Starting to get the hang of playing oil. Been very good to me. 

Enjoy the weekend boys.
I heard this morning that China's strategic oil reserve is almost full and they had been buying 100,000 barrels a day. FWIW

Feels like a good time to get out again...or get into high dividend stocks.

Currently have positions in Amazon, Wells Fargo, Twitter.

Feels like a good time to get out again...or get into high dividend stocks.

Currently have positions in Amazon, Wells Fargo, Twitter.
These look bubbly to me right now.  All these issues have gone through the roof lately.

Couple random things

How toxic do folks here think Twitter is?  I feel like possibly taking a long piece, betting on some sort of takeover or buyout.  I've been averse on the name for a while but it's still hanging around and hanging around.  It's got to have some value to one of his competitors at some point - still a good product IMO.

Oil still falling, but for the first time in months, I'm not sure I want to gamble day trading it.  Feel like it's going to muddle around $40-$45 for a while with little upside beyond $49/$50

My large pick of TVIX has been incredibly stubborn. 2 straight day of losses I felt would get me back to my strike, but it's still nowhere close and down 7% since I bought last Thursday. I feel like lots of volatility ahead with earnings coming soon (although jobs report expected to be good might offset that). I hate holding something like this for so long, but yet, here I am.  

What's up all?

Couple random things

How toxic do folks here think Twitter is?  I feel like possibly taking a long piece, betting on some sort of takeover or buyout.  I've been averse on the name for a while but it's still hanging around and hanging around.  It's got to have some value to one of his competitors at some point - still a good product IMO.

Oil still falling, but for the first time in months, I'm not sure I want to gamble day trading it.  Feel like it's going to muddle around $40-$45 for a while with little upside beyond $49/$50

My large pick of TVIX has been incredibly stubborn. 2 straight day of losses I felt would get me back to my strike, but it's still nowhere close and down 7% since I bought last Thursday. I feel like lots of volatility ahead with earnings coming soon (although jobs report expected to be good might offset that). I hate holding something like this for so long, but yet, here I am.  

What's up all?
I bought 100 shares of TWTR at $15.07 with plans to buy some more as it moved lower which it did but I was on vacation at the time and not paying attention.  I'm just holding tight now.  It has been driven up because everyone believes they are a takeover target.

TripItUp said:
meh, you're probably right...
Just as a data point XLU (utility sector) is up 23% this year.  That's crazy.  There's no way that, in and of themselves, utilities are all of a sudden worth 1/4 more than they did in January.  As always the wave may ride for a while, so who knows when the wave will come back down.  May be a while yet.  News this morning rolling across the financial TV was basically listing every major world sovereign bond and how they were at all time record low yields.  

Couple random things

I just keep selling puts and then buying them back when the stock spikes for no apparant reason. Street hates it, the CEO is split between two companies, and they don't really seem to know what to do with their platform to generate ad revenue. I agree with you it could be a takeover target, but that's also not a good reason, by itself, to go long. That said, if a Put I see gets executed, I'm happy to hang onto the shares and see what happens. It's not going anywhere.

WWAV to be acquired by Danone for $56.25. There could be other suitors, and a bidding war, but I'm up >60% in 20 months, so I'm going to declare victory and sell by Friday. Another win for Milos!

Are you playing the market or creating it?? Nice!
I telegraphed what was going to happen today. Every drop, every bounce, the entire day. I was in zone. 

I made my money on one trade too, just fantastic. Going on vacay with fam next week, might just ignore oil next week, although could be some good money made, so who knows.

It did break a major resistance at $45.80, which I knew would happen with such a weak gas draw. Might be entering a downtrend back to $40ish. 

Dead cat bouncing right now, but I'm done for the day. The pit closes are always the most confusing, we'll see if it stays under $45.80, that'll be highly bearish.

What are some of your guys' position on dividend stocks (meaning the types investors typically buy for the sole purpose of the dividend performance)?

Shutout said:
What are some of your guys' position on dividend stocks (meaning the types investors typically buy for the sole purpose of the dividend performance)?
DOW is really cheap now (PE of under 10) and is fairly safe but not a huge dividend.

Users who are viewing this thread