What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (14 Viewers)

Basically juggling two jobs right now, real job and stocks:

Recommend watching Chipotle after market close tomorrow. Think there will be a good opportunity (long or short). 

Stock has a gigantic amount of short interest, if numbers indicate a recovery from the E. coli stuff, thing could seriously blast off with the covering. While I'm not really expecting this, I'm open to watching and capitalizing if it does. On the other side, if they show their recovery is faltering, look out below.

GM crushed Q2... If the macro doesn't collapse, I don't know how this isn't on its way to new 52 weeks highs in the coming months. 

They are officially over their bankruptcy. Huge profit, low P/E, big dividend. What isn't to like on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Siff, question about moving averages... Do you look at EMA or SMA? 
In the chart I posted yesterday the "Blue" Line is a SMA and the "Yellow" line is an EMA.

Time Frame on that chart is daily...so honestly whether you use an EMA or an SMA probably doesn't matter...as what you're determining is the "Zone" of the market - ie: is it in bullish or bearish territory.

Pretty common is to use the 50DMA & the 200DMA.  When the 50 is above the 200 Market is in Bullish Territory.  When 50 is below 200 Market is in Bearish Territory.

I will use slightly different variations of a 50/200 depending on the time frame I'm trading as a confirmation signal.  For example on that chart from yesterday - I use the 89EMA and a 144SMA.  Fibonacci Numbers that (imo) optimize the confirming trend.

If I'm day trading the MA lines will be different 34/89 or 21/55.

As you can see from that chart current price is far above both moving average lines.  While that is indicative of a strong trend - price doesn't tend to maintain that gap.  That means either one should expect price to stay flat while the MA lines "catch up" or that price will decline to the MA lines and then resume the up-trend sometime in the near future.

While I certainly can't predict the future - the technicals of the market suggest that the bull trend is pretty secure for many more weeks and a number of months at the very worst.

GM crushed Q2... If the macro doesn't collapse, I don't know how this isn't on its way to new 52 weeks highs in the coming months. 

They are officially over their bankruptcy. Huge profit, low P/E, big dividend. What isn't to like on this one.
I regret not getting in on this ~month ago when we were talking about here.

I guess I misread the GM earnings and the market doesn't love it as much as I do. 

Record quarter, higher guidance, higher revenue, higher profits.... Crushed on this. At this rate, they'll close down.

I guess I misread the GM earnings and the market doesn't love it as much as I do. 

Record quarter, higher guidance, higher revenue, higher profits.... Crushed on this. At this rate, they'll close down.
I saw it up way higher before open. $1.86 EPS vs $1.55ish? estimate if I remember right. Buy tomorrow.

lol

They're still up almost 2.5%.  And got a nice little pop for F in the process. 

GM and Ford both face uphill battles. Between reputation, the threat of new technology and the belief that profits aren't sustainable when gas prices come back up, they have some obstacles to overcome to make people believers. 

lol

GM and Ford both face uphill battles. Between reputation, the threat of new technology and the belief that profits aren't sustainable when gas prices come back up, they have some obstacles to overcome to make people believers. 
Of the two I recall Ford making good moves in the "new technology" space.

lol

They are both doing very well in the technology space.  You could argue better than many competitors.

They diversified their business to be profitable on all products beyond just trucks and SUVs.  But right now, the industry run rate is at an all time high -- easier times and good news for sales and profits.  What the market wants to see is how they handle a downturn.  Once they can prove to be profitable in a downturn or lower industry run rate, there will be more confidence from "the street".

Yea, NEO looks really juicy right now.

I've mentioned them in here before and own them in the Stock pick contest but I still think LXU runs up to +20 within the next year.  Feel free to grab some long.

They are both doing very well in the technology space.  You could argue better than many competitors.

They diversified their business to be profitable on all products beyond just trucks and SUVs.  But right now, the industry run rate is at an all time high -- easier times and good news for sales and profits.  What the market wants to see is how they handle a downturn.  Once they can prove to be profitable in a downturn or lower industry run rate, there will be more confidence from "the street".
I'm optimistic.  I have a small piece of both, assuming F doesn't do what CAT's done to me. 

I've mentioned them in here before and own them in the Stock pick contest but I still think LXU runs up to +20 within the next year.  Feel free to grab some long.
Looks like I can sell some December $12.50 Puts right now for $2.00-$2.60, or September for $1.10-$1.50. Thoughts?

Looks like I can sell some December $12.50 Puts right now for $2.00-$2.60, or September for $1.10-$1.50. Thoughts?
If any I'd sell the September puts for a hedge. I wouldn't do any further out because this is a play on long term that will give you upside.  If anything any risk in the stock is in the near term.

IMO of course. 

Transferred some funds into my old trading account this week. Two more days of teaching summer school and tutoring, then start actively trading after some research.

Debating a small short on CMG... Maybe like 50-100 shares.

I dont see how theyve solved their issues as of yet.

Crazy? Feel like it could tank 10%

ETA: Decided against, to much risk.

Basically juggling two jobs right now, real job and stocks:

Recommend watching Chipotle after market close tomorrow. Think there will be a good opportunity (long or short). 

Stock has a gigantic amount of short interest, if numbers indicate a recovery from the E. coli stuff, thing could seriously blast off with the covering. While I'm not really expecting this, I'm open to watching and capitalizing if it does. On the other side, if they show their recovery is faltering, look out below.
I'm going to listen to the earnings call here at 4:30.  Will keep all posted. 

Bob Sacamano said:
lol

Speaking of car companies after looking at what TSLA has done lately and the new master plan I'm (for the first time in a long while) considering a short here.  Cool cars, but the company is turning into a cluster####.

Can someone explain Chipotle to me? They're doing awful, store visits down substantially, if you read between the lines it looks like they're retaining the people that never left, but certainly aren't growing by any stretch and the stock is up 3%. 

I want to short it, but this is trading so silly to me.

Can someone explain Chipotle to me? They're doing awful, store visits down substantially, if you read between the lines it looks like they're retaining the people that never left, but certainly aren't growing by any stretch and the stock is up 3%. 

I've gone a few times recently (college son home for summer) and the long lines are back.  I'll bet you find quarter over quarter sales are way up.  Their issues seem to be behind them.

I've gone a few times recently (college son home for summer) and the long lines are back.  I'll bet you find quarter over quarter sales are way up.  Their issues seem to be behind them.
In store traffic this quarter was down 23% YoY... Did you ever leave, or have you continued going?

Looking at the Chiptopia plan, my theory is they're retaining people who never left, not growing new users. Just my .02

I eat at Chipotle 4 times a week ( :bag:  )

I like that I can get low carb options with good quality meat. Very diet friendly if you leave out the rice, beans and tortillas

It's a fast casual Mexican restaurant

Anecdotal observation - I've noticed the Chipotle lines have been longer my last few times in there because they've gone from five or six employees down to three or four, line definitely moving slower than usual. Lines still not as long as they used to be. 

I think it's safe to say the stock market can never go down.

:sends champagne to central banks:

I will say this, one of Buffet's best quotes is to be fearful when others are greedy and vice versa. Greed is running wild lately. It's basically impossible to be bearish right now though when everything just goes up no matter what. With rates so low, there is nowhere else to put money.

BIG earnings week coming up.  Considering selling half of my AMZN and GOOGL because I'm way up.  If they disappoint and get crushed, buy right back in.  Good numbers still make money.  Thoughts? 

BIG earnings week coming up.  Considering selling half of my AMZN and GOOGL because I'm way up.  If they disappoint and get crushed, buy right back in.  Good numbers still make money.  Thoughts? 
I don't like the way I feel if I raise my cost basis. Ever. Just a quirk.

I think it's safe to say the stock market can never go down.

:sends champagne to central banks:

I will say this, one of Buffet's best quotes is to be fearful when others are greedy and vice versa. Greed is running wild lately. It's basically impossible to be bearish right now though when everything just goes up no matter what. With rates so low, there is nowhere else to put money.
I think the concept we're looking for here is "dry powder".

Google and Amazon can't go down. Even if they miss and fall, they'll just go right back up. In fact, I'd hold and assume they go up, and hope they miss so I could buy more for cheaper. 

This is part shtick part truth. The reality is, this really is what our market is, especially when you talk about the Googs or Bezos.

My real question is about Facebook also reporting this week. I'd bet a gazillion dollars they blow out revenue and earnings, almost a guarantee. My concern with them is their user growth, I think there is a chance it is less than expectations - I wonder how the market reacts to that if this were the case.

I don't see them falling after earnings, almost impossible, but if they do, which I hope happens, I'm buying aggressively.

Google and Amazon can't go down. Even if they miss and fall, they'll just go right back up. In fact, I'd hold and assume they go up, and hope they miss so I could buy more for cheaper. 

This is part shtick part truth. The reality is, this really is what our market is, especially when you talk about the Googs or Bezos.

My real question is about Facebook also reporting this week. I'd bet a gazillion dollars they blow out revenue and earnings, almost a guarantee. My concern with them is their user growth, I think there is a chance it is less than expectations - I wonder how the market reacts to that if this were the case.

I don't see them falling after earnings, almost impossible, but if they do, which I hope happens, I'm buying aggressively.
Yep, I own FB too. 

Is it just a pump and dump? SPHS supposedly has a cure for prostate cancer. Heck maybe it's legit. 
Not really. I just call 'em all pump and dump in my list. I track stocks like this that have low float and low single digit share price. Mostly biotech. If they can sustain their jump like both these have, then I consider buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread