What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (12 Viewers)

Yeah, so, what is the "picks and shovels"? 
Forgive me for being dense.  You mean tools used for production?

Hemp in Wisconsin is combined and creates an absolute sticky mess.  Long ways to go before we know what the best harvesting practices are going to be a few years from now.  The key to product integrity with CBD is the cold press process.  Any heat can weaken the active ingredients at a cellular level.  Right now the cutoff for THC concentration is .3% and hopefully that will get raised to 1% in the near future with increased state legalization.

If we're talking the same language finally, I think the opportunity your looking for is the company that can produce the highest quality and efficient LED lights for the indoor grow rooms across the country.  The perfect storm of tech/marketing fueling a company's exponential growth in that sector hasn't occurred yet from my observation.

Got $200k in cash.  Thoughts on investing it?  Moderate risk level.  Would use to make roth ira contributions for wife/myself (already did 2019).
You'd really not do better (or safer) than putting it all into the $SPY or $VTI.  Both provide diversification across sectors and quite frankly outperforms pretty much every single common portfolio strategy out there - usually by a large margin. How much so?  Here's a sample from 2007-Present (which takes into account the top of a bull market thru a bear market then a long term bull market- High -Low - High.

1) $SPY= CAGR = 8.28% - $200k invested in 2007 = $530k today

2) $VTI = CAGR = 8.5% - $200k invested in 2007 = $545k today

2) Ray Dalios All Weather Portfolio = CAGR = 5.96% - $200k invested in 2007 = $410k today

3) Coffeehouse Portfolio = CAGR = 5.65% - $200k invested in 2007 = $395k today

4) Bogleheads 3 Funds Portfolio = CAGR = 6.1% - $200k invested in 2007 = $415k today

Granted past performance is no guarantee of future returns.  But don't be stupid with this money and chase. 

To be safer - perhaps look at putting a portion to work now - let's say $50k.  And then dollar cost averaging $10k per month for the next 15 months with the rest.

There's no real easy answer but $200k is a lot to just be sitting on or you're really rich.  LOOK AT YOU!  Good luck.

Damn, almost wish I shoved all in. Up almost double what I was earlier. I can live with leaving 40% of my cash in cash based on at least pushing in more than half. I’m sure it’ll drop tomorrow after running up today but I like the stocks I got at a nice discount in the past week or so.
Double damn. More happy I pushed in more than half my chips than upset I didn’t push in all because there could easily be another worse dip. Up a lot in two days. Wasn’t expecting that. I was expecting a pull back today.

Got $200k in cash.  Thoughts on investing it?  Moderate risk level.  Would use to make roth ira contributions for wife/myself (already did 2019).
I mean I am more curious how you are sitting on 200k in cash yet are still able to fund roth through the front door.  

Yeah. The old phrase "The way to make money in a gold rush is sell picks & shovels". Like, Bitcoin... everyone wants to rush in and mine it? So buy stock in NVIDIA because that's what all the prospectors & speculators are buying when they chase their dreams. Some will win, most will go bust, but NVIDIA was the play.

I hear Scott's Miracle Grow is a tangential play. LED lights would be a good one. Who makes them?
Lumigrow out of California probably has the highest quality product at the moment, but still private.  Without a multinational corporation leading the market currently, quality and efficiency are all over the places.  Lot of high dollar operations still relying on cheap chinese knockoff garbage at the moment.

Losing my shirt on a BTC mining initiative 3-4 years ago was worth the lesson in scarcity when it comes to the currency.  With energy costs, anyone on this side of the planet is wasting resources by devoting anything to mining.  The exponential difficulty in mining in order to support the blockchain still hasn't been fully realized.

I was going to respond with "General Hydroponics is the benchmark" when it comes to nutrients, but a few minutes of research tells me that was one of the big purchases leading to Scott's Miracle grow potential.

https://www.newcannabisventures.com/scotts-miracle-gro-general-hydro-gavita/

Thank you for being patient with me today, this all of a sudden became my favorite conversation today.  SMG is going to be a major long term position for me.

I feel like I’m holding my breath everyday, expecting another 3% drop. Instead of buying on the dip, I think I’m going to be selling on this minor recovery. 

I feel like I’m holding my breath everyday, expecting another 3% drop. Instead of buying on the dip, I think I’m going to be selling on this minor recovery. 
I know what you are saying, I’m worried about a big drop. That’s why I only put in a little over half my cash in on Monday (waited till end of the day). I did have specific stocks I’d been watching and I bought 3 that I really like long term and two had good earnings but dropped a bunch over the past couple weeks. One’s up 14.5%, one 13.2% and the “laggard” is up 9.7% in two days. I’m glad I jumped and I’m glad I’ve still got enough to DCA if the market does fall down again.

Last edited by a moderator:
You'd really not do better (or safer) than putting it all into the $SPY or $VTI.  Both provide diversification across sectors and quite frankly outperforms pretty much every single common portfolio strategy out there - usually by a large margin. How much so?  Here's a sample from 2007-Present (which takes into account the top of a bull market thru a bear market then a long term bull market- High -Low - High.

2) Ray Dalios All Weather Portfolio = CAGR = 5.96% - $200k invested in 2007 = $410k today

4) Bogleheads 3 Funds Portfolio = CAGR = 6.1% - $200k invested in 2007 = $415k today

Granted past performance is no guarantee of future returns.  But don't be stupid with this money and chase. 

To be safer - perhaps look at putting a portion to work now - let's say $50k.  And then dollar cost averaging $10k per month for the next 15 months with the rest.

There's no real easy answer but $200k is a lot to just be sitting on or you're really rich.  LOOK AT YOU!  Good luck.
Just got lucky...tks!

You mentioned $spy and $vti.  Wouldn't $voo be more comparable to $spy?

Like the dollar cost averaging idea.  Thanks!

Holy crap. Up almost 20% on the 3 stocks I bought Monday afternoon and I bought a lot. Was definitely looking for a good price to go long term but certainly not thinking a big jump short term.

Has anything changed on the Trump/China angle or just the normal bounce from low algorithm buying?

Holy crap. Up almost 20% on the 3 stocks I bought Monday afternoon and I bought a lot. Was definitely looking for a good price to go long term but certainly not thinking a big jump short term.

Has anything changed on the Trump/China angle or just the normal bounce from low algorithm buying?
It is so weird how last week it was the end of the world and now we’re all back to making fat stacks again. 

Uber short-term hasn’t been bad. Tempted to sell and take the quick cash.

It is so weird how last week it was the end of the world and now we’re all back to making fat stacks again. 

I got UBER at IPO price of $45 and have trimmed half of my position today at $43.  It was looking ugly for a bit.

I am a little tempted but I don’t want to miss a run and I’m actually long term here so it just gives me a nicer buffer if the market takes a dive. Only way I’d sell these is if the make a huge run and the future growth reward isn’t there and I like something else better. I’ll ride for a while and see. 

I am a little tempted but I don’t want to miss a run and I’m actually long term here so it just gives me a nicer buffer if the market takes a dive. Only way I’d sell these is if the make a huge run and the future growth reward isn’t there and I like something else better. I’ll ride for a while and see. 
Long-term on uber? I’m not. But I’m not selling for a while. It’ll get into the 60s imo. 

Was hoping DOCU would see $50 to buy more.  I'm sure a recession would put a dent in their business, but I'm not sure what else is likely to in the near future.

rascal said:
Just got lucky...tks!

You mentioned $spy and $vti.  Wouldn't $voo be more comparable to $spy?

Like the dollar cost averaging idea.  Thanks!
Congratulations on the inheritance.  It is a wonderful gift, and it sounds to me like you want to be a good steward of the money as a show of respect towards the person you inherited the money from.  Way to go!

Yes. $SPY and $VOO are essentially the same thing.  They are ETFs comprised of the top 500 Companies by Market Cap.  Right now they are weighted heavily in tech - so when you buy one of these that means you essentially own shares of Microsoft, Apple, Amazon, Facebook as well as all the other top 500 companies out there.  It is not sector specific - so there is tech, energy, financial, etc. The ETF is weighted towards to Mega Caps.  $VTI, on the other hand, is made up of +3000 stocks from Large, Mid, Small Cap companies.  There are times when Mid and Small Cap stocks outperform Large Cap - so with $VTI there is some greater level of diversification. But overall - in a very long term buy and hold situation - either one will be just fine.

Having that $200k as a foundation investment - also opens you up to a lot of freedom with the rest of how you invest.  And (again free advice) I would look into perhaps using that to take on higher risk higher reward positions.  For example - let's say you have another $100k available to invest (a $300k total portfolio).  With that you might want to begin to research some sectors you believe with have huge payoffs 5-10 years down the road.   You are going to need to hit a HR every now and then.  Again - I'd look into sector ETFs of future-focused technologies.

Again.  Way to go.  Me mindful of the market.  Be patient.  And when opportunity presents - go after it aggressively.

I was all over BIDU in the low 150s. D’oh. Looks like it’ll be on deep discount tomorrow. Down almost 10% on earnings. Buy?

:rocketship:

(One of those ####ty Uzbekistan rocketships though, not a brand-name SpaceX rocketship, sadly.)
Yeah, that rocket crashed long ago, but it's been trying to get back in the stratosphere, but keeps crashing every time it gets around 30 feet in the air. 🤬

I have moved a lot to VTI last 5 years.  :goodposting:

Just more trade war fear. Thought we got past it but guess not. 

Good point about FC. Haven’t seen him in a while. 
Don’t you feel there’s a lot to worry about over the trade war?

I wonder how low the market would be if these companies weren’t doing buybacks?

It’s a fake market...

Given where we are in the cycle I'd choose #3 with the dollar cost averaging.  It's pretty conservative and pretty simple.  I also think that the value tilt will revert to the median and help boost it a bit.  Expensive stocks have just gotten more expensive - value has been left far behind.  I see some value there.

Yeah, that rocket crashed long ago, but it's been trying to get back in the stratosphere, but keeps crashing every time it gets around 30 feet in the air. 🤬
So we're all back in on Tesla under $200, right?

Glad I sold out for Disney a month or so ago, but thinking I'm back in today.

Tesla is on the way to bankruptcy in my opinion. 

It’ll also be the poster child people associate with the crash. Like Bear Sterns Lehman Brothers

It’ll also be the poster child people associate with the crash. Like Bear Sterns Lehman Brothers
I don't know if you're right about the first assertion, but if you are the second follows. 

There is certainly that risk. 

Started half a position in Majesco (MJCO). They're basically moving the archaic insurance sector's systems to the cloud. Small cap, lightly traded, but counts MET Life as a client. They're unveiling a new brand next week at their conference so I may complete my position after that.  Looks like a decent shot at a long-term homerun ball.
Bought quite a bit of this last week in that businesses are streamlining their companies through tech & this sounds like one of those companies.  On a 1-10 scale I'm a 2 on these matters but maybe getting better through this thread so take it for what it's worth.

Also bought NAK which is a real long shot.  They supposedly have the richest precious metal find anywhere in 50 years.  It's in Alaska.  The new governor is pro business & the thinking is he can shorten the permit process.   Probably the biggest long shot mentioned in a while here.  I have read that the owners have already oversold their ownership.  If you have the time look at some of the articles on this.  Some great reading.

I don't know if you're right about the first assertion, but if you are the second follows. 

There is certainly that risk. 
Tesla has all sorts of company specific issues, I don't see it as a harbinger of the economy myself.

Really want to short a stock in my sector. Thinking how aggressive I want to get. Bad news to get worse throughout the year. What’s the best way to play it? Have had short funds. Never shorted an individual stock. 

Users who are viewing this thread