What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (9 Viewers)

Really want to short a stock in my sector. Thinking how aggressive I want to get. Bad news to get worse throughout the year. What’s the best way to play it? Have had short funds. Never shorted an individual stock. 
What's your sector?  Based on your avatar I'd guess Edwin Watts and the Baltimore Opera Hat Company?

How much margin are you allowed?
Don’t know. Don’t even trade individual stocks anymore but I think I have an account through TD Ameritrade. Portfolio managed through DFA funds via TD Ameritrade Institutional with my Advisor. Can open an account if necessary. Would be willing to bet $5-10K

Don’t know. Don’t even trade individual stocks anymore but I think I have an account through TD Ameritrade. Portfolio managed through DFA funds via TD Ameritrade Institutional with my Advisor. Can open an account if necessary. Would be willing to bet $5-10K
I mean they will usually let you go in the tank for 30% of your margin right before calling you.  Varies a bit place to place, you need to get your margin agreement in place first.  

Most places will let you margin for x% of different flavors of securities.  So if you account has 100k in ETF and 50k in stock and 50k in bonds you might get to credit 70% 50% 90% of those values.  

Really want to short a stock in my sector. Thinking how aggressive I want to get. Bad news to get worse throughout the year. What’s the best way to play it? Have had short funds. Never shorted an individual stock. 
If shorting is not your thing, I'd think about just buying long-dated, deep in the money Puts. Long dated so time value does not evaporate quickly. Deep in the money so it moves closely in step with the underlying stock. If you like, PM me the symbol and your time frame and I can price some ideas for you during the day when market is open.  GL whatever you choose.

As TVIX approaches 20, I get so tempted. She is a fickle mistress.
There’s got to be a better way. It always goes down. Unless you time it right, you lose. In this thread alone you had people saying the same thing when it was in the 50s, then 40s, then 30s. This year alone it’s gone from 72 to 21. That’s not a winning proposition.

There’s got to be a better way. It always goes down. Unless you time it right, you lose. In this thread alone you had people saying the same thing when it was in the 50s, then 40s, then 30s. This year alone it’s gone from 72 to 21. That’s not a winning proposition.
Do you understand what it actually is?

It went from 20 to 25 in a matter of a couple days in the most recent downturn. If I can capture a 25% gain in two days, I would—it’s worth considering if and when the market feels overheated or shaky. And, to me, this is a shaky market. 

I would suggest VIRT to guys looking to bank on volatility without the risk of VIX. Nice dividend too. I’m long. 

It is a hyper short term investment.  Meant to hold for a matter of hours 
Definitely understand. Still, I don’t recall anyone in here making money on it. Every discussion was losing money trying to time it or waxing poetic about the jump it just made.

Regarding Tesla and bankruptcy, wouldn't they just be bought by one of the bigger car makers before it reached that point?

Maybe, but there were supposedly some real dollars invested. TVIX may be one of the most discussed symbols in here. 
because it's fun to talk about in light of giant swings in the market.  I mean i have it as a widget on my home screen of my phone.  I've never invested a dime in it either way, but still consider it my most important tracking indicator of at least when to come in this thread..    

I don't have discretionary income, or money to buy more, what I would do is shift money into what I currently have. I have two funds that I probably wouldn't touch because those are growth funds and haven't done me wrong. If I wanted to get rid of all my BP to shift into Apple or MSFT, that would be my only play. BP has a good dividend so am leery of switching out of that. But, I'm staying put for now too.

I hope everyone sells. This is the tip of the iceberg. 
S&P 2000-2200 before then next leg up. Give it a few more weeks before they start talking retest the lows. Pretty sure a trade resolution will simply be a chance to get out and not be the next leg up.

Looking like some buying opportunities coming soon. Any real news or just lingering worries?

Of the 3 stocks I bought a couple weeks ago, two are still up about 10% and one looks almost dead even based on pre-market. None of the 3 are impacted much, if at all by China/trade.

ETA: Going after Mexico now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everything going to get murdered today because of his Mexico comments. Maybe he hates the stock market?
Would it surprise you if you hear 10 years from now that he was making bets on the market. Funny thing is that I don’t believe it would be illegal based on the news piece I watched where senators/congressmen were allowed to insider trade on info they received via committee meetings, etc.

Would it surprise you if you hear 10 years from now that he was making bets on the market. Funny thing is that I don’t believe it would be illegal based on the news piece I watched where senators/congressmen were allowed to insider trade on info they received via committee meetings, etc.
Is there anything he does that is illegal? 

It's what I would do. It can easily be covered up at that level.

Is there anything he does that is illegal? 
Not really referring to that. I was pretty shocked that senators and congressmen used to be able to do insider trading and it was legal. There’s an act against it now but it doesn’t seem to matter still. 

Anyone ever see a 20% decline followed by a 20% gain followed by a 20% PLUS decline within a year or 2? Me either and I wondering if it happens because:

1. Joe Retail investor was not shaken out in December and doesn't hate the markets.

2. It hasn't happened in the recent past.

Nothing would surprise me at this point. The depths of his depravity know no bounds. Not trying to make this political, but answering the question.

Nothing would surprise me at this point. The depths of his depravity know no bounds. Not trying to make this political, but answering the question.
Yeah, honestly it’s all of them. Pelosi came up as having gotten VISA pre-IPO shares right before legislation they didn’t like was stopped. There’s a reason why these career politicians always seem to be way wealthier than their normal salaries would get someone. Worried about the financial crisis in 2008, no problem, you already knew and sold all your stock.

Yeah, honestly it’s all of them. Pelosi came up as having gotten VISA pre-IPO shares right before legislation they didn’t like was stopped. There’s a reason why these career politicians always seem to be way wealthier than their normal salaries would get someone. Worried about the financial crisis in 2008, no problem, you already knew and sold all your stock.
Yeah, I'd say 95% of them are crooked, but some far more than others. 

Bought quite a bit of this last week in that businesses are streamlining their companies through tech & this sounds like one of those companies.  On a 1-10 scale I'm a 2 on these matters but maybe getting better through this thread so take it for what it's worth.
Majesco is the only thing that's good in this cold, cold world right now. 

Moved $40k into VTI and $10k into VNQ today.

Thought about doing some international and bond to diversify further, but held off.

I'll continue to watch and if market tanks some more I'll move some more.

Thanks to everyone for their previous tips.

I find it hypocritical that CEO's/etc are required to publicize any trading of company stick but our politicians are not (or at least that I'm aware of).

Looking like another fun day. Keeping my cash on the sideline. Still up a few percent on 2 of the 3 stocks I bought May 13th and up around 15% in the 3rd stock. Still a good decision but wondering how far we might go down because I was a little too worried to push back all in at the end of last year and that would have been smart.

Jesus Christ when amazon falls, it really ####ing falls. 
Anti-trust talk amongst some politicians who of course want to make a name for themselves. Couple that with some down days and you get an overreaction. I’ve still got 80% locked up so I can wait but it does seem like we may test some of those end of year lows.

stbugs said:
Anti-trust talk amongst some politicians who of course want to make a name for themselves. Couple that with some down days and you get an overreaction. I’ve still got 80% locked up so I can wait but it does seem like we may test some of those end of year lows.
I bought some Friday. Shoulda waited. :sadbanana:

Honestly if AMZN gets busted up, my gut says it's worth more, not less. :shrug:

I think it was on one of the Motley Fool podcasts they said that if they spun off Amazon Web Services into a separate company, AWS would be in the top-ten-largest companies in the US.
You could be right. I’m pretty sure they don’t want to break anything up and honestly I think they are less of a real target than say Facebook and Google due to their ad dominance and privacy concerns. I’d say it’s overblown but it may take a bit to work it’s way out. Unfortunately, politicians like to make news so we’ll hear about the evil corporations a bunch. 

Users who are viewing this thread