What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (10 Viewers)

We haven't heard if he got the ban or not. Always seemed plausible it was hucks. 
Based on his accidentally contrarian and perfect calls, it would almost surprise me if he wasn’t. If you did the opposite of what he said, you beat the market like a drum.

Geez, if I knew this was Lhucks, I would have bought Shopify. After a few replies to this post I realized he was talking about shorting Shopify.

Shopify was $150 when he posted this. Today, 6 months later it closed at $305. Lhucks it is.
I bought Shopify at $48 a share in Jan 2017 due to a Motley Fool recommendation, one of my best holdings

I see what you did there. All you are doing right now is getting back the money you lost in May. Yeah, I'm missing this current 'recovery' (or shall I call it a bear market rally) in the market but since the close on 1-22-2018, the S&P is up a whopping 0.25% and the NAZ is up 3.72%. Yeah, big whoop. If you are in small caps, you are a net loser to the tune of about -5.75%. No one with 401k's, or other accounts like that, is killing it unless they are timing the markets like a champ. If they are spreading the $ around across funds, they have gone nowhere in 18 months.
How about the 50 months prior to that?

I could punch myself for not buying beyond. Dammit. 
I could punch myself for not going all in on 5/13. I pushed 70% of my cash. I was thinking about SFIX, MDB and ZM. All of them are up 25-40% the past week. SMH. Just glad AMZN, TWLO, TTD and SWAV have had a real nice ride as well. I could have paid for a year or two of college in one week 😆

:shrug:  from what I hear, Impossible is the better product, but neither is the holy grail people are waiting for.
I heard the same thing about Impossible so I discounted Beyond. I want to buy puts on it, the rise has been so parabolic. But every day I don’t, I’m thankful the next day so I never pull the trigger. I’m just shooting in the dark, really, as I have no clue what its value should be.

:shrug:  from what I hear, Impossible is the better product, but neither is the holy grail people are waiting for.
I had a 100 shares of beyond in for like 45 bucks but decided I’d rather do impossible later this summer. Now beyond is worth 3.5 times that and impossible is going to open at some insane amount. Whoops. 

I've had both as my wife is Vegan and so is her mother. Beyond is pretty good, much better than any prior versions sitting on grocery shelves out there to try. Which is ironic because all 3 of us think that Impossible Burger blows Beyond out of the water. But you can't buy Impossible around here unless I go to one of the handful of restaurants currently serving it. Whereas I can get Beyond Meat patties at the regular grocery store.

Also kicking myself for not buying Beyond a few weeks ago, I totally forgot they went public last month. They seem insanely overvalued now, read one article talking about Silk for example when they went public, was considered a bonanza before they got bought out and the most their stock got to was 5x sales. And the big boy traders that control the market are all over Beyond Meat at the moment, down 20% today after the huge rise. A small timer like me would likely get eaten for lunch investing in it right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
What would he be banned for? Terrible advice?
Speaking of terrible advice I've actually done a few trades, so at least in the short term fading me is a good bet.  Sold some VTR as they seem to have run out of good acquisitions.  Bought some BIP and NLY with those funds and built up dividends.  NLY is a play - they just dropped their distribution and I'm hoping the yield inversion has hit peak awfulness.  With some short term monies (have to cash at EOY) I bought a bit of ECC.  Definitely a high risk play, but with the economy chugging along I'm hoping the distributions will be greater than any capital deterioration.

TLDR - best best is to buy VTR, sell BIP, NLY, ECC.

Damn, did an asteroid hit Europe this morning or something?  Down 2% there across the board.  Yeesh.

Peace of mind is worth... something.

There's a point I start to consider how much I need to earn to be OK with losing upside in order to limit downside.  No idea where that is, but the more I see from this president the more I consider it. The problem becomes answering how much you need to earn.  And where do you put it? 

I've thought more than once about plowing a #### ton into something like NTRSP and just being ok with 5.5ish% for a while.

Oh, I'm great with taking profits.  Have done so here and there already this year.  Human nature however is very predictable.  People tend to sell when the markets are lower and buy as they are higher (buying high/selling low).  Totally counter intuitive, yet it happens time and time again.  

There is usually a bull case somewhere and usually a bear case somewhere.  makes absolutely zero sense however to be 100% cash unless you are finding better returns somewhere other than the stock market. And if you are, by all means, please share. US equities (IMHO) offer far and away the best possible returns for your cash.  

But, to each their own.

Peace of mind is worth... something.

There's a point I start to consider how much I need to earn to be OK with losing upside in order to limit downside.  No idea where that is, but the more I see from this president the more I consider it. The problem becomes answering how much you need to earn.  And where do you put it? 

I've thought more than once about plowing a #### ton into something like NTRSP and just being ok with 5.5ish% for a while.
The problem is that there is no guarantee you can just get 5.5% for awhile on a preferred stock like NTRSP.  If rates back up again you could be looking at a big loss on your principal.

Anyone know if the old stock thread from the 2008-2012 range still around? Thought it would be an interesting read to look back at Nvidia discussions after just seeing it's up to $300 plus a share and Dodds was onto that one in the teens. That among others would be interesting to look back on.

Big investing milestone hit today.    Thanks, Mr. Powell.

That said, watch out below, as I'm sure the bottom will fall out tomorrow...  I expect to cross the threshold multiple times.

My assets are split like so:

83% pre-tax  
10% Roth 
7% Brokerage

Is there any general guidance as to what financial products or levels of risk I should have in each?
Right now my brokerage is the riskiest (selling covered calls), my Roth is S&P heavy and pre-tax is the most diversified.

I’m on the road with limited access to everything. Could anyone summarize the major swoon during the final few minutes of the trading today? The VIX spiked just before 4PM.

I’m on the road with limited access to everything. Could anyone summarize the major swoon during the final few minutes of the trading today? The VIX spiked just before 4PM.
No idea, but I've been keeping an eye on my Robin Hood account, 100% KOPN, after being negative most of the day it jumped like 10%. Up 15% on the week, 22% on the month, my account is up 33% since March. Pretty happy with it, but it's just the fun money.

Sold Amazon earlier today and Disney a few weeks ago (to buy Kopin), now my only single stocks are Kopin, discover and Omega health (REIT). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Whispers I've heard indicate it was a $1 bet between George Soros and the Sultan of Brunei over who could spike the market the hardest.

-OZ- said:
No idea, but I've been keeping an eye on my Robin Hood account, 100% KOPN, after being negative most of the day it jumped like 10%. Up 15% on the week, 22% on the month, my account is up 33% since March. Pretty happy with it, but it's just the fun money.

Sold Amazon earlier today and Disney a few weeks ago (to buy Kopin), now my only single stocks are Kopin, discover and Omega health (REIT). 
Your thoughts on kopin?   From what I read it's tech but from there on it's Russian to me & appears they have never made a profit?

Your thoughts on kopin?   From what I read it's tech but from there on it's Russian to me & appears they have never made a profit?
Complete speculation / gamble on my side. I do believe in the future of VR, both in gaming and training for dangerous professions like firefighters, military, etc. Don't know if Kopin is the winner in all that, we'll see. 

I'd prefer a broader basket of VR companies, might sell soon. 

Complete speculation / gamble on my side. I do believe in the future of VR, both in gaming and training for dangerous professions like firefighters, military, etc. Don't know if Kopin is the winner in all that, we'll see. 

I'd prefer a broader basket of VR companies, might sell soon. 
Just in time. Didn't sell on top, but not at the bottom. Lost a bit by waiting. But now I'm out, only Discover and Omega health left of the single stocks. 

Might buy back into Google but I'm thinking I just stay in ETFs for a while, probably go a bit heavier into cash in our non retirement accounts for a couple months. 

We've been saying it too long, but it does feel like a fall is looming.

just sold my stake in PNC, a financial service group.   made about 11% over the last year or so.   Seems like banks & the like are extending credit, consolidating loans with an initial teaser interest teaser rate & raising the rate at a later date.  just sounds like 2008 again to a lesser extent.  I'm not very good at this stuff so keep that in mind.   few things I have picked up have been on this board.

With the market at all time highs I've been putting some money into Vanguard intermediate term and high yield tax exempt funds hoping for somewhat of a hedge while getting a decent yield......any thoughts on these type funds in the current market? 

Also was curious if anyone with a Vanguard account actually uses their advisors? 

@GoBirds, I hate bond funds because of volatility of principal, but I do have some Int-term and long-term that my dad set up for me when I 1st got out of school and have kept. AT least gives me some diversification to other states than my individual bonds. I've never used their advisory services.

S&P is on the verge of cracking 3000.  Feds will likely ease.  Good chance of a melt up.
My mom and I had a long discussion around Christmas where I worked very hard to get her not to pull everything out of stocks. We talked a couple weeks ago and she was bragging that she's never had so much money before. She's talking about European river cruises now. Meanwhile, I'm bagholding KR like a chump.

Users who are viewing this thread