What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (24 Viewers)

If we get a decent melt-up, I plan to be selling into it a little bit.

I've gotten behind on sliding my asset allocation over the past few years.  Retirement is coming sooner rather than later, and I'm pretty heavy on the equities side.  I think I'm at only 8% cash / equivalent and 15% bonds.  I'll never be one of those 50% bonds types, but should probably be at least at 25% at this point.

GoBirds said:
With the market at all time highs I've been putting some money into Vanguard intermediate term and high yield tax exempt funds hoping for somewhat of a hedge while getting a decent yield......any thoughts on these type funds in the current market? 
Not sure about the funds, but the CEFs of that nature have been driven very high in price lately.  This is mostly due to SALT and rich guys from CA and the northeast trying to lower their taxes buy buying high yield munis.  I lamented a few pages back that I didn't see this cause-effect and should have.  Easy money I left on the table.

Not sure about the funds, but the CEFs of that nature have been driven very high in price lately.  This is mostly due to SALT and rich guys from CA and the northeast trying to lower their taxes buy buying high yield munis.  I lamented a few pages back that I didn't see this cause-effect and should have.  Easy money I left on the table.
Think it’s a bubble and stay away? Was hoping for a hedge as I’m in a lot of equities. 

Think it’s a bubble and stay away? Was hoping for a hedge as I’m in a lot of equities. 
Well, CEFs and funds are fundamentally different.  A fund won't have a price premium over the underlying like a CEF can, so IMO it's safer.  Whether the underlying munis are safe now I really don't have a good handle on that - haven't probed that area of the markets lately.  Been mostly looking through equity opportunities (of which there seem to be very few).

My mom and I had a long discussion around Christmas where I worked very hard to get her not to pull everything out of stocks. We talked a couple weeks ago and she was bragging that she's never had so much money before. She's talking about European river cruises now. Meanwhile, I'm bagholding KR like a chump.
Wow, I had noticed how cheap KR was. I might need to buy some on Friday. I liked it in the mid 20s about a year ago. Sub-22 now. 

Majesco is the only thing that's good in this cold, cold world right now. 
@irishidiot I'm new to insider info but believe the form-4 should be publicly available on 10th/11th for that June 28 melt up. Looks like they recently issued a bunch of options to employees so I'm wondering if mjco was replenishing their position on that day? I don't even know if that's a thing small companies do.

@irishidiot I'm new to insider info but believe the form-4 should be publicly available on 10th/11th for that June 28 melt up. Looks like they recently issued a bunch of options to employees so I'm wondering if mjco was replenishing their position on that day? I don't even know if that's a thing small companies do.
It's possible (maybe even likely) it had to do with Russell Index rebalancing, which I just learned about while trying to figure out what happened:

Link to explanation.

MJCO is part of the Russell Microcap index, so this would make sense based on the activity that day.

I actually know nothing really.  I bought the stock based on a few comments in here on what they do.  That's it.  hopefully happy returns.

Kind of stupid to buy amazon right now? I have the itch. 
I wouldn’t call it stupid but I think there’s much better longer term values. I’m thinking about selling 18 shares more to be able to invest them elsewhere. I don’t not believe in them but it’s almost triple where we got them. When you are a trillion dollar company the years of huge gains are likely in the rear view mirror.

Take it with a grain of salt because I have a lot more shares so it’s probably way smarter for me to spread the money around. 

With the market at all time highs I've been putting some money into Vanguard intermediate term and high yield tax exempt funds hoping for somewhat of a hedge while getting a decent yield......any thoughts on these type funds in the current market? 

Also was curious if anyone with a Vanguard account actually uses their advisors? 
Late to this but I moved a big chunk of our savings into Vanguard's NJ long term tax exempt fund earlier in the year. Believe it was actually recommended by someone in the Personal Finance thread. I get killed by taxes enough here, and it was frustrating at the end of the year to be loading my 1099-INT info and needing to pay so much more based on what I was earning on my online savings, not just for federal but NJ too.

My principal is up 4% and it's been throwing off about $500/month in dividends, all tax free. 

Obviously there's some risk of principal going down but I'd still come out nicely ahead under most realistic scenarios.

Think I’ll be scooping some Netflix up on the cheap tomorrow. Losing the office/friends combo and Disney coming is a bit worrisome though. 

Think I’ll be scooping some Netflix up on the cheap tomorrow. Losing the office/friends combo and Disney coming is a bit worrisome though. 
I appreciate Netflix's failure. There are a bunch of stocks that I should have bought on the 2nd while on vacation, but I didn't. If Netflix can take a few more down with it, that'll help me a bit.

I don't think DIS hurts them too much on its own. People are willing to pay for multiple services if they're good. The trend of others following suit and migrating content back to their sources for use on their own platforms is potentially much more problematic for them imo.

I think Netflix makes enough of their own content to remain the leader but tough to see continued growth. 
It is interesting. They are more of a studio than anything almost at this point. I haven’t watched a non-netflix show on there in a while. They got their stranglehold on me though when I was catching up on Breaking Bad and The Office. 

Keep in mind that Netflix doesn't make all their 'Netflix originals'. For example, Fuller House and Chilling Adventures of Sabrina are two of their highly watched programs made by an outside company that could pull the shows in the future to another service. Same with the upcoming Sandman. The popular mint robbery series was another... House of Paper? There are more but I can't recall them offhand. 

Netflix's studio formula so far has seemed to be "make a metric boatload of content, don't try to guess if any of it will be good, just put it out there and see what gets watched and let the algorithm do the rest". It's been extremely expensive so far, as they've loaded up on both internal staff and also signed a lot of talent to high paying deals. Plus the costs of producing are high, especially for that many projects. I'm not sure how sustainable it is in the long run. 
They’re making a movie with the Rock and two other A-listers (forget who) that is rumored to cost 200 mil. Seems nutty to me. 

It’s amazon day! 

:scared:  
I know, it’s Yahoo, but I still have my old My Yahoo account where I get my glance at stocks and news. That said, I can’t imagine and news site more negative on Amazon. It was all about Walmart this and that now an article whose sole purpose is to say that Azure’s growth rate is higher than AWS. Here’s the article:

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/AMZN?p=AMZN

It mentions the quarterly sales numbers and growth for a much bigger AWS and only mentions growth %s for Microsoft. That’s because (from some site with their quarterly results):

Microsoft does not break out exact Azure revenue numbers, likely to avoid comparisons with industry leader AWS.

I’m not even trying to bash Azure, but so many of these “news” articles read like paid bloggers schilling slightly deceiving info.

I know, it’s Yahoo, but I still have my old My Yahoo account where I get my glance at stocks and news. That said, I can’t imagine and news site more negative on Amazon. It was all about Walmart this and that now an article whose sole purpose is to say that Azure’s growth rate is higher than AWS. Here’s the article:

It mentions the quarterly sales numbers and growth for a much bigger AWS and only mentions growth %s for Microsoft. That’s because (from some site with their quarterly results):

Microsoft does not break out exact Azure revenue numbers, likely to avoid comparisons with industry leader AWS.

I’m not even trying to bash Azure, but so many of these “news” articles read like paid bloggers schilling slightly deceiving info.
That’s because that’s what they are. 

Optimism about amazon seems to be off the charts for the most part. Weird to see it down a point today. 4:00 should be interesting. 

That’s because that’s what they are. 
True. It’s just so blatant but I guess I am smarter than the average bear so it’s easy for me to see what they are doing. It’s just really sad that we don’t really have actual honest to goodness news anymore.

Optimism about amazon seems to be off the charts for the most part. Weird to see it down a point today. 4:00 should be interesting. 
It’s been on a nice run. Remember when it couldn’t break through 1700 for a couple months? Unless they have an unexpected huge quarter, the good news is usually baked in and a good quarter will end up with a slightly negative stock price. Buy the rumors, sell the news. 

It’s been on a nice run. Remember when it couldn’t break through 1700 for a couple months? Unless they have an unexpected huge quarter, the good news is usually baked in and a good quarter will end up with a slightly negative stock price. Buy the rumors, sell the news. 
For sure.

I’m still here for the wild after bell swings. 

Users who are viewing this thread