What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (22 Viewers)

I like BAC, PFE, JWN, NKTR.

Someone else mentioned CBWTF which I bought at $1 and watched it march straight down to 55 cents. Bought more on the way down but dumped it about a month ago. In other words, beware listening to me.
Is that Cobalt Blockchain? Yeah, I grabbed about $9000 of that carp a while ago. 

That's the stuff used in lithium batteries they tell me. Electric cars, cell phones, lawn mowers, power tools.

Then recent technology develops a lithium battery that runs on 1/10th the cobalt needed previously.

Guess we all need tax loss crops to harvest.

Dang, missed it.

I really need to get on board with after hours trading.

Looking to pick up more AMZN, was trading at 1720 after hours yesterday ... opened at 1770 today. Sheesh.

looking to sell my TVIX, was trading at $26 after hours yesterday ... opened at $20 today. WTF?
Yea debating whether I want to do 1770 or not. Not a real rush here as I don’t think it’s done dropping for now. 

Is that Cobalt Blockchain? Yeah, I grabbed about $9000 of that carp a while ago. 

That's the stuff used in lithium batteries they tell me. Electric cars, cell phones, lawn mowers, power tools.

Then recent technology develops a lithium battery that runs on 1/10th the cobalt needed previously.

Guess we all need tax loss crops to harvest.
No it is Auxly, a cannabis company. To my defense, I also bought Aurora so I wanted to divest one of them. You are thinking of CBLLF, I think, which is a different dog.

Bossman said:
Which weed stocks are you looking at?

I'm in CRON and ACB and they've been on the down swing for a while.
Watching GRWG closely. Already bought in at the $3 levels. This is going to move fast if it has a good earnings report in 2 days with positive net income. Still in the 100 million market cap range.

While I think there will be moments of turbulence and profit taking ahead---the trend of volatility and dilution in global currencies  really makes me think that gold/silver/ select cryptos have a lot of available room left to run up.   I've been buying gold and silver for a while--and I did end up very mildly investing in some cryptos earlier this year.  

Watching GRWG closely. Already bought in at the $3 levels. This is going to move fast if it has a good earnings report in 2 days with positive net income. Still in the 100 million market cap range.
CANN up 46% today  :pickle:

Of course that still leaves me down 89% from where I bought it :bag:

If you are a long term investor stocks still look pretty attractive to me now when considering the alternatives.  The 10 year Treasury closed at 1.71% today.  The S&P 500 has a current yield of 2.02%.  The PE Ratio is currently 17.8 using 2018 earnings and 17.4 using projected 2019 earnings.  More importantly, the equity risk premium looks very good considering how low you are getting paid on the risk-free rate. 

Add in the fact that investors have over 5% in cash right now, FED is now easing, and earnings have been solid and it looks pretty good.

Are there short term risks?  Sure.  Trade war is an issue but Trump has his eye on the market and can ease on this if need be.  Some leading economic indicators such as manufacturing have been soft lately but with the Fed easing those should improve.  I am not worried at all about inverted yield curve as the Fed got too aggressive in December and is adjusting.  

If trusting Trump to do anything right is part of your risk evaluation process, you're a fool.  Might as well invest in the likelihood of wedded bliss for Otis' offspring.

Last edited by a moderator:
If trusting Trump to do anything right is part of your risk evaluation process, you're a fool.  Might as well invest in the likelihood of wedded bliss for Otis' offspring.
Let me ask you this.  How do you believe the market were to react should Trump lose in 2020 versus if he were to get re-elected?

But none of that has anything to do with your statement about Trump having an eye on the market, the risk that apparently mitigates, or my comment in response to it.  None of which were political, which is where we're now headed.

Let me ask you this.  How do you believe the market were to react should Trump lose in 2020 versus if he were to get re-elected?
When we run a study hall at my school, the students love to have the clueless teacher and say that it’s the best study hall ever. When a good teacher takes over, the students complain about how crappy it is to be held accountable. Trump is the bad teacher and the markets rejoice (cheap money, lax regulations.) Of course the markets will drop once he is out. A real adult is going to enforce some rules and they’re not going to like it. I’d rather have the good, disciplined teacher. 

When we run a study hall at my school, the students love to have the clueless teacher and say that it’s the best study hall ever. When a good teacher takes over, the students complain about how crappy it is to be held accountable. Trump is the bad teacher and the markets rejoice (cheap money, lax regulations.) Of course the markets will drop once he is out. A real adult is going to enforce some rules and they’re not going to like it. I’d rather have the good, disciplined teacher. 
The markets aren’t exactly loving him fighting with China on a ####ing social media app either.

Really don't want to turn this into another political slapfight thread.  I retract my comments.  Everything is awesome.  Best market ever.  Believe me.  

As what, a student or an investor?

As an investor, why would you want the good teacher that causes the markets to drop? Sure, you can say it's the right thing to do. But let's be honest, the government is threatening that social security may not be available at some point. It forces people to invest money in the stock market in order to create enough funds to retire. Decades of stagnant stock market and low interest rates, all while CEO's are making millions in bonuses and or representatives in Washington are given almost $18k annual pension for 6 years of service. A service member could serve 6 years in combat and not receive a dime in pension. And they are putting their life on the line. Lawmakers also receive subsidized healthcare. 

The odds are stacked against the citizens of this country. Low wage and difficulties achieving retirement savings. It's as if they want people to work until they die. While they retire and live off taxpayers. 

I agree we don’t need to talk politics in here but he undoubtedly has the biggest affect on the market right now. Ok I’ll shut up. 

I agree we don’t need to talk politics in here but he undoubtedly has the biggest affect on the market right now. Ok I’ll shut up. 
100% correct.  The political argument lies on whether the short term (hopefully) pain of the trade war is worth the long term gain (better trade deal).  That remains to be seen.  My point was that Trump knows he can scale back the tariffs at any point and declare "victory" if he thinks it will help him in 2020.

100% correct.  The political argument lies on whether the short term (hopefully) pain of the trade war is worth the long term gain (better trade deal).  That remains to be seen.  My point was that Trump knows he can scale back the tariffs at any point and declare "victory" if he thinks it will help him in 2020.
Well sure. I think most would agree he’ll end the tariffs and scale back the trade war with China sometime before the election. 

Thoughts on IAG?

went long .30 ago but it looks like a breakout going to happen.
Broken clock right twice a day.

i do think the party is just getting started here.  $4.22 is a fairly significant historical price here.  If somehow this consolidates and then breaks north of $4.22.... well I’ll leave that conclusion to some of you more experianced chart guys but I see a potnential big gap up.

Looking for some advice here. I’ll try not to make this political but I do think Don’t Noonan raised a good point in a similar thread that implied a market shock (my words) if Trump is not re-elected. Let’s assume for the moment that he does not get a second term. Between now and then, who knows about tariffs, Brexit, Iran, rates, yield curves, etc. In short, if one suspects a correction to really hit, say, between 12 months from now with some real pain around November 2020, with some wild volatility in between, then what is an investor to do the next 24 months?

I’m thinking bonds, GLD, VIX, cash, and “safe” dividend payers. Thoughts?

Correction and recession are inevitable, regardless of the Executive branch.  Most presidents get too much credit and too much blame for the performance of the market under them. 

Most. 

Some should get blame for the ####storm they create for the future rather than credit for the short-term boost they manufacture just to support their fragile, attention whoring egos.

Some.

Treat it like you'd treat any other.  Some people would tell you do nothing and just keep dollar cost averaging in.  That trying to time the market is dumb and borderline impossible anyway.  Someone like @siffoin would tell you momentum should dictate the whens and that there are absolutely identifiable times to make those moves.  Just depends on your philosophy.  

Looking for some advice here. I’ll try not to make this political but I do think Don’t Noonan raised a good point in a similar thread that implied a market shock (my words) if Trump is not re-elected. Let’s assume for the moment that he does not get a second term. Between now and then, who knows about tariffs, Brexit, Iran, rates, yield curves, etc. In short, if one suspects a correction to really hit, say, between 12 months from now with some real pain around November 2020, with some wild volatility in between, then what is an investor to do the next 24 months?

I’m thinking bonds, GLD, VIX, cash, and “safe” dividend payers. Thoughts?
The problem is that bonds could be a risky investment right now with the 10 year Treasury near all time lows.  I still think a diversified portfolio makes sense.  I don't try and time the market for short term swings for the core of my portfolio.  

culdeus said:
What's different this time is you can't just go hide in munis and wait it out.  10k might get you a ham sandwich. 
I've never had such a hard time finding munis. I have a search filter set for a min. 3% yld. The needed maturity has kept moving up and, just now, I ran it and for the 1st time it returned no results at any maturity. Also had two called this month. 

I've never had such a hard time finding munis. I have a search filter set for a min. 3% yld. The needed maturity has kept moving up and, just now, I ran it and for the 1st time it returned no results at any maturity. Also had two called this month. 
Ugh. Well, theres plenty of savings accounts that will give you a frothy 2.36%!

Any thoughts on TTD?  Earnings report is tomorrow post close.  Wouldn't mind if it dipped to around 200 amid the trade/tariff wars.  Feel bullish here long term. 

The new Tax Law killed issuance for muni's. Some politicians slipped into the bill a provision eliminating advanced refundings (where new bonds are sold to refinance old ones prior to their call dates), so new supply has been very limited.

Same. I don't like their stores. At all.  I think Walgreens has them beat as a strict retail outlet. But I wanted to see what they could do with the Aetna integration.

Same. I don't like their stores. At all.  I think Walgreens has them beat as a strict retail outlet. But I wanted to see what they could do with the Aetna integration.
The pricing/coupon model for CVS makes me want to punch walls.  They overprice everything but they then give our coupons willy nilly (I must get a 30% coupon almost every week).  

I have no doubt CVS is all about the prescription drugs ... which are way overpriced and I assume UGE profit.

The candy and paper towels are just the gravy on top.

Now when Amazon is able to fill prescriptions ... (just need licensing in a few more states), THAT will put a major dent in CVS stock.

... and another $426 profit shorting 200 shares of TVIX today.  WINNING!!!

Users who are viewing this thread