What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (14 Viewers)

I earn my money the old fashioned way ....

shorting TVIX   :wub:
Just covered my TVIX short from Wednesday. Another $1k in profit.

That stuff is like a money printing machine .... once you figure out which buttons to press.

I haven't got the minerals to play for the big money yet .... but I'm still having a blast!

How are you guys doing with your t-bills and savings bonds?

Just covered my TVIX short from Wednesday. Another $1k in profit.

That stuff is like a money printing machine .... once you figure out which buttons to press.

I haven't got the minerals to play for the big money yet .... but I'm still having a blast!

How are you guys doing with your t-bills and savings bonds?
I've been playing with covered calls for 2019 and just enabled puts and calls.

Mad Gainz

Do you ever change the ratio? Do you leave the amount bought in for a set period of time, or buy and sell determining on market factors? 
I am just holding.  Rebalance quarterly, which seems to work as well as anything else.  Guys in there have done simulations and come up with some pretty frequent rebalances based on volatility lookbacks.  Their results seems pretty brittle and transaction costs are high, so not going there.  

Now, if we look recession-ish I will take a hard look and may well go to TMF/IEF or something similar.  I'll figure that out when it comes around.  This is a gamble, anyway, so why not.

I regard this as as about as volatile as the TVIX players so, you know, caveat emptor.

I am just holding.  Rebalance quarterly, which seems to work as well as anything else.  Guys in there have done simulations and come up with some pretty frequent rebalances based on volatility lookbacks.  Their results seems pretty brittle and transaction costs are high, so not going there.  

Now, if we look recession-ish I will take a hard look and may well go to TMF/IEF or something similar.  I'll figure that out when it comes around.  This is a gamble, anyway, so why not.

I regard this as as about as volatile as the TVIX players so, you know, caveat emptor.
I don't even think with tvix you can get completely felted 

Well that recession was fun. Dunno if it's one we'll be telling the grandkids about, but hey, whatcha gonna do. 

This "blow up for six months, have a four day recession" ride is certainly fun. I need to remember to keep enough cash on hand for the next one. Maybe next February?
Let’s not get cocky. 

Looks like a verdict in an Oklahoma opioid case is going to be rendered on Monday afternoon and indicators point to a 17 billion dollar fine to JNJ. Anyone following this and would you agree that JNJ will be facing that verdict? Wondering if short-term puts are a wise move here since the stock, one would think, could take a hit. I'm leaning towards buying some October puts since those are after the next earnings report so if the verdict is a dud, there still may be some juice in puts if the earnings disappoint.

Well that recession was fun. Dunno if it's one we'll be telling the grandkids about, but hey, whatcha gonna do. 

This "blow up for six months, have a four day recession" ride is certainly fun. I need to remember to keep enough cash on hand for the next one. Maybe next February?
How about today?

Bought some AAPL 207.5 8/30 calls right before close. I have faith that our great orange lord will tweet some sort of inanity to make up for today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if there are any gold bugs in the crowd but found a cheap way to trade it during day & evening without big risk. Micro Gold Futures have a value of $10/full point, spread of $1-2, & margin of only $500. My costs are pretty high at $2.74/round-turn but I don't have a fee for data. To save money, one pay $60/month for data and then $1/RT if they did 35+ RTs a month.

Something has to give. Stocks are back up but silver is up ~$3 since June, gold is up $200 in that time.

Are people moving their money to commodities for "stability" as the market is a roller coaster? Both can't go up, up, up. Which floor will fall?

Something has to give. Stocks are back up but silver is up ~$3 since June, gold is up $200 in that time.

Are people moving their money to commodities for "stability" as the market is a roller coaster? Both can't go up, up, up. Which floor will fall?
Think it has to do with bonds looking so unattractive. There's something like 17 Trillion in negative yielding sovereign debt right now. If I'm parking cash, bonds are a lot less attractive than even 6 months ago.

Think it has to do with bonds looking so unattractive. There's something like 17 Trillion in negative yielding sovereign debt right now. If I'm parking cash, bonds are a lot less attractive than even 6 months ago.
I think @Gawain has it. While you can still get yield in U.S., there are many countries that one can't; those investors are bidding up gold/silver as a means to at least break even on their savings. The For example, Asian currencies have been very weak against the USD so I'd bet a lot of metals are bid in those markets. There are many "experts" that also see negative yields as a good possibility in U.S. as well...tbd but our bonds will be in favor plenty (also adding to lower rates here). 

... and we're rich again.

Anyone else here shorting TVIX? ... just me?

About to sure up another tidy profit. Today or tomorrow depending on how patient I can be.
Another week, another $1k shorting TVIX.

Could have made more but some weird spike today and it jumped up $1 per share before coming back down a bit.

Suppose I was a bit too patient (aka greedy)

This just seems too easy. Wish I had the grapes to play with some real money. 

If I were doing the same thing x5 ... or x10 ... wow.

How'd you guys do this week?

While I think there will be moments of turbulence and profit taking ahead---the trend of volatility and dilution in global currencies  really makes me think that gold/silver/ select cryptos have a lot of available room left to run up.   I've been buying gold and silver for a while--and I did end up very mildly investing in some cryptos earlier this year.  
It's been almost a month since I posted this--and so far this trade has been really solid for me.   I do think that long term gold/silver/cryptos all have lots of room to still go up--but I do think there will be some profit taking coming up here soon.  Anybody else that has been investing in gold/silver care to comment on their short term strategy?  I'm thinking that I might want to take some profits and buy some back on the next profit taking dip.  

It's been almost a month since I posted this--and so far this trade has been really solid for me.   I do think that long term gold/silver/cryptos all have lots of room to still go up--but I do think there will be some profit taking coming up here soon.  Anybody else that has been investing in gold/silver care to comment on their short term strategy?  I'm thinking that I might want to take some profits and buy some back on the next profit taking dip.  
I've been thinking the same, as I'm up about 50% in GDX over the last eight months or so. Unfortunately, I only had a few thousand in it to begin with. I might take half off here soon, and jump back in on a dip. If the dip doesn't happen, lesson learned.

Now if CBLLF would do the same, I wouldn't be down 65%+.🤣

SFBayDuck said:
Anybody own MCOA?  It's up 5,900%......today.  Looks like I picked the wrong marijuana penny stocks.
I do not. I currently own two stocks under a buck, 2,000 shares of MENEF (a precious metal jeweler) and 1,500 shares of MLSS (a medical device company).

Anyone have any penny stocks they like?

Sold some of my gold and some of my silver yesterday and it looks like I timed things well.  I don't trust todays rally a lick and I hope gold and silver drop more in the upcoming days.  China agreeing to trade talks a month from now is possibly one of the most bogus reasons to propel a rally that I have ever heard of.  They have talked before--and nothing has come from it.  Not only that--why would China make sacrifices to an administration that might not even be in power in a little over a year?   This to me smells like when a historically average or below average player has a random great game and fantasy owners scramble to sign him off the waiver wire and chase points that will never get repeated again.  I'm not chasing todays stock rally--but I do hope that it continues so that I can get back into more gold and silver at better prices.  

Sold some of my gold and some of my silver yesterday and it looks like I timed things well.  I don't trust todays rally a lick and I hope gold and silver drop more in the upcoming days.  China agreeing to trade talks a month from now is possibly one of the most bogus reasons to propel a rally that I have ever heard of.  They have talked before--and nothing has come from it.  Not only that--why would China make sacrifices to an administration that might not even be in power in a little over a year?   This to me smells like when a historically average or below average player has a random great game and fantasy owners scramble to sign him off the waiver wire and chase points that will never get repeated again.  I'm not chasing todays stock rally--but I do hope that it continues so that I can get back into more gold and silver at better prices.  
I'm long term hold on precious metals.

In a perfect world my kids will have to decide what to do with my holdings.

I'm long term hold on precious metals.

In a perfect world my kids will have to decide what to do with my holdings.
I'm in this situation now trying to figure out what to do with my grandfather's silver hoarde.  It's pretty much a pain in the ###.  

The biggest pain in the ### about holding a bunch of precious metals is you'd think you could maybe skirt some taxes, but they have a hard cap on what you can deal in at coin stores and gold/silver pawns before giving you what amounts to a 1099.  So you are left with taking 75c on the dollar or every once in awhile showing someone bags and bags of coins and pretending to be a pirate.  

The biggest pain in the ### about holding a bunch of precious metals is you'd think you could maybe skirt some taxes, but they have a hard cap on what you can deal in at coin stores and gold/silver pawns before giving you what amounts to a 1099.  So you are left with taking 75c on the dollar or every once in awhile showing someone bags and bags of coins and pretending to be a pirate.  
Step up basis should mean if you're liquidating close after death you're not getting hit with a major tax bill. 
I think we talked about a couple of his coins a few years ago (did he have a Pan Pac $50?)

I'm surprised that you didn't move silver when you went through some of the heavy hitters.

Let's say you have $10k in green cash or $10k in silver today that you are storing in a safe.  Which one do you think will be worth far more in 10 years?  Complaining about precious metals being annoying to own is a truly a first world problem.   

Step up basis should mean if you're liquidating close after death you're not getting hit with a major tax bill. 
I think we talked about a couple of his coins a few years ago (did he have a Pan Pac $50?)

I'm surprised that you didn't move silver when you went through some of the heavy hitters.
The collection consisted of some super premium items that went moon, and some #### that didn't. The collection had a way of increasing in quality later and quantity first.  

The taxes are less a concern as being able to find a buyer that wants to deal in the MS-lol stuff for much more than spot.  The fact that metals are going up has pushed this down my priority list.   

Let's say you have $10k in green cash or $10k in silver today that you are storing in a safe.  Which one do you think will be worth far more in 10 years?  Complaining about precious metals being annoying to own is a truly a first world problem.   
Owning metals is stupid.  If you want something like that go out and get 2-3 of the most expensive possible coins you could ever afford and stash them.  The overwhelming majority of this stuff was bought in the mid 80s after the crash.  Enough money was dumped into this junk stuff that had it been in the market would be worth >1M easy.  It's worth at best maybe like 30k today in melt.  The real stuff, well that's a different story.  

Owning metals is stupid.  If you want something like that go out and get 2-3 of the most expensive possible coins you could ever afford and stash them.  The overwhelming majority of this stuff was bought in the mid 80s after the crash.  Enough money was dumped into this junk stuff that had it been in the market would be worth >1M easy.  It's worth at best maybe like 30k today in melt.  The real stuff, well that's a different story.  
Agree to disagree. Precious metals are an asset class that should be a part of a well diversified portfolio.  You don't own precious metals to get rich--you own them as part of your portfolio to carry you through turbulent waters to stop from going poor.  Nobody here is saying to dump all of your money into precious metals--that would be irresponsible.  This is a stock thread--which means that most people in here own stocks, probalby some real estate, and most likely other assets as well.   All we can do is look forward and speculate if the economic waters look smooth ahead or if they look turbulent.  Several countries have already messed with their currencies and interest rates.   There is domestic and global unrest--and the prospect of a trade war(s) is real.   The amount of global sovern debt is growing exponentially.   People aren't gaining confidence in government issued currency--they are losing confidence in it.    Precious metals are an insurance policy for your primary assets--they aren't intended to BE your primary assets.  Much like most any insurance policies--everybody should have one--but you hope to never have to use them.  If you think that people protecting their investments is stupid--thats totally a cool and fine opinion--but we'll just have to agree to disagree. 

Agree to disagree. Precious metals are an asset class that should be a part of a well diversified portfolio.  You don't own precious metals to get rich--you own them as part of your portfolio to carry you through turbulent waters to stop from going poor.  Nobody here is saying to dump all of your money into precious metals--that would be irresponsible.  This is a stock thread--which means that most people in here own stocks, probalby some real estate, and most likely other assets as well.   All we can do is look forward and speculate if the economic waters look smooth ahead or if they look turbulent.  Several countries have already messed with their currencies and interest rates.   There is domestic and global unrest--and the prospect of a trade war(s) is real.   The amount of global sovern debt is growing exponentially.   People aren't gaining confidence in government issued currency--they are losing confidence in it.    Precious metals are an insurance policy for your primary assets--they aren't intended to BE your primary assets.  Much like most any insurance policies--everybody should have one--but you hope to never have to use them.  If you think that people protecting their investments is stupid--thats totally a cool and fine opinion--but we'll just have to agree to disagree. 
I just think buying a bunch of this crap and putting it in a vault is dumb, there are ETF that are reasonable to own for this now.  I also think that if the SHTF nobody will trade in silver and gold, it will be bullets and penicillin.  

I just think buying a bunch of this crap and putting it in a vault is dumb, there are ETF that are reasonable to own for this now.  I also think that if the SHTF nobody will trade in silver and gold, it will be bullets and penicillin.  
That's your opinion and I'm certainly not trying to change it. With that said--if I'm buying something as an insurance policy against turbulent waters--I want it ready and accessible.   Most everybody who moderately to heavily invests in the markets has a safe place to store their valuables. Unless your silver/gold rations are enough to fill Fort Knox--I'm not sure why the storage aspect of it is soo bothersome to you.   With that said--there is no problem with two people seeing things differently.  

There are certainly folks that don't trust the petrodollar or some other zerohedge nonsense and throw every last "piece of fiat" into an ammo can of silver eagles. I think we all agree that those folks are not maximizing their return.

I carry about 5% of our household wealth in precious metals. You're totally right in a SHTF scenario PMs aren't really going to do much for you, but they certainly would be valuable with whatever the next currency is. You can buy currency of any nation in the world with silver or gold.

However, the above is still pretty close to zerohedge fear mongering. I look at my collection as just that. Coins are close to one of the most fungible collectables out there and stacking for weight is probably the best hobby that will retain/appreciate in value. Imagine if your grandpa had thrown his coin into Beanie Babies, or even the wrong baseball cards.

If I didn't collect, I'd have some other hobby and I'm sure whatever I'd choose would retain less value and/or be more of a pain in the rear to sell after I'm gone. To me, coins and PMs aren't that different than a grandma who is buying Hummels, just whoever comes after me will have more to show.

Another week, another $1k shorting TVIX.

Could have made more but some weird spike today and it jumped up $1 per share before coming back down a bit.

Suppose I was a bit too patient (aka greedy)

This just seems too easy. Wish I had the grapes to play with some real money. 

If I were doing the same thing x5 ... or x10 ... wow.

How'd you guys do this week?
What brokerage do you use that allows you to short TVIX?

Buy silver bullets. Wa-La 

Some serious bloodletting in the tech sector among the high flyers over the past couple years. My TTD and TWLO holdings getting hammered. Still holding for the long term and TTD is still up nicely from when I bought it, but TWLO isn't. Definitely looking to jump back in on some that I was looking to get better positions on that are down anywhere from 15-30%+ in the past week. Again, definitely looking long term, but the hammering that might continue is creating a much better buying opportunity.

I have no idea how far down they have to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

• jwb