What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (12 Viewers)

A few months ago I put a nice hunk of investable cash into Berkshire (B, not A unfortunately) and I sleep fairly well at night.  Been a nice solid ride.

Any of you have thoughts on Virgin Galactic, SPCE

Back in October it was trading at $12 and today it closed at $14.84

I've seen some good news about the company in the last two weeks and wondered if this is one to pick up.

I just can't fathom what the total addressable market is there and what the costs are before you even get to the point of recognizing any of those prepaid trips.

Any of you have thoughts on Virgin Galactic, SPCE

Back in October it was trading at $12 and today it closed at $14.84

I've seen some good news about the company in the last two weeks and wondered if this is one to pick up.
Heard one of the Najarian brotherscalls  pimp the January 17 calls of SPCE back in late December saying that some kind of PR or news was going to drop. I bought some and the stock did nothing, hovering around $11.50 plus or minus a quarter so I figured he was blowing smoke. Since the strike date was coming up this Friday, I dumped them last week on 1/8, salvaging some of my premium. Of course, I couldn't help but follow the ticker and you can guess what happened. No embellishment necessary: within minutes of me dumping the options, the share price began creeping up (this was the afternoon of 1/8) and then there were some decent pops and indeed a PR event that sent the stock massively higher. I lost $600 on the trade. Had I held another week, I'd be up about $4000 or so.

Out of bitterness, I have not really followed what the PR was that sent the price upwards. I tend to think it is a temporary thing and there's no way I'd touch the stock even if I had not gone through the trauma of the past week. It's still very speculative and very volatile. You get the Branson name, and it is kind of a cool idea, and of course it could be a counter-intuitive stock like Tesla which rises because people think it's a sexy company and they buy it. But, again, I think it is gambling more than investing at this point.

*Pan American Silver shares are trading lower after B of A Securities downgraded the stock from Neutral to Underperform.

Benzinga

*Pan American Silver shares are trading lower after B of A Securities downgraded the stock from Neutral to Underperform.

Benzinga
Well, I did see that, but didn't consider it relevant news. People still pay attention to what bankers are saying? 😂

Stock gurus: I grabbed this company's stock a month ago: Dermira. Some drug company that has a promising drug in the pipeline.

Today was announced they are being bought by Eli Lilly

Thought that would be great news but The price Lilly offered is below what the price is trading at. Have no clue what that means. I was going to sell but anyone have any insight / best guesses here?
IMO, buyout offer normally equals sell. But it appears they're being lowballed. Or at least, that's what the market thinks.
So the deal with Lily was accepted at a price lower than the stock. Stock is just over 19 and offer is 18.75.

I guess a dumb question but the ride is over at this point, right? Any reason I keep this?

I can at least understand the thesis of someone buying Tesla. Nobody buying Tesla is buying for current state. I have no idea what the people buying CMG are buying for. 

We have a small position in Virgin Galactic in our Battery & Space Materials Fund.  Why not?  It's only $250,000 to go into orbit.  That's walking around money for FBGs.  Waiting list is long.  

You know who isn't going to be on that maiden voyage?   THIS GUY <--------------------------------   Thank you, No.  I'm happy being poor on the ground.

We have a small position in Virgin Galactic in our Battery & Space Materials Fund.  Why not?  It's only $250,000 to go into orbit.  That's walking around money for FBGs.  Waiting list is long.  

You know who isn't going to be on that maiden voyage?   THIS GUY <--------------------------------   Thank you, No.  I'm happy being poor on the ground.
When I get the go ahead that Chet is going into Orbit, maybe....maybe...

I can at least understand the thesis of someone buying Tesla. Nobody buying Tesla is buying for current state. I have no idea what the people buying CMG are buying for. 
I just looked at the stock price and that’s crazy. A P/E of 80, but in one report I looked at showed that their revenue in Q3 of 2019 is only about 15% higher than Q3 of 2015, that’s right 2015. The growth per store is terrible compared to where it was in 2015, which drove the huge run up from 2010-2015. The only reason they are up on 2015 is that they have so many more stores open. It’s a high growth stock price for something not really growing like that anymore.

So the deal with Lily was accepted at a price lower than the stock. Stock is just over 19 and offer is 18.75.

I guess a dumb question but the ride is over at this point, right? Any reason I keep this?
If I had made any money in that three months,  I'd be out in a flash and looking for the next one. But I'm a pansy.

If I had made any money in that three months,  I'd be out in a flash and looking for the next one. But I'm a pansy.
Me too. I’ll probably cash out. Made some money for sure (but so did everything over this period :lol:  )

It’s just a weird situation where I would think the stock wouldn’t drop below what the offering price is but how can it go up anymore.

I’m not sure how this situation works.

I don't care about the price. The P/E is nuts. And they're now the 4th largest publicly traded restaurant brand by market cap (Guessing jeebus' chicken chain would fall in there somewhere otherwise). As of 10/19, it was

1. McDonald's - $157 bil (over 38,000 locations)

2. Starbucks - $101 bil (30,600 locations)

3. Yum Brands - $38.4 bil (48,769 locations)

4. CMG - $22 bil (2,523 locations)

One of these things is not...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob Sacamano said:
I don't care about the price. The P/E is nuts. And they're now the 4th largest publicly traded restaurant brand by market cap (Guessing jeebus' chicken chain would fall in there somewhere otherwise). As of 10/19, it was

1. McDonald's - $157 bil (over 38,000 locations)

2. Starbucks - $101 bil (30,600 locations)

3. Yum Brands - $38.4 bil (48,769 locations)

4. CMG - $22 bil (2,523 locations)

One of these things is not...
Quality, not quantity. 

drunken slob said:
Do any of you have Municipal Bond holdings? 
Do you still get beneficial tax help for owning these or did Grump change that too?  Feel like these were beneficial for tax assets historically.  

Not an accountant

Didn't sleep at Holiday Inn

Do you still get beneficial tax help for owning these or did Grump change that too?  Feel like these were beneficial for tax assets historically.  

Not an accountant

Didn't sleep at Holiday Inn
With regard to the bolded, that's my question.

In the past, these fell under the "Qualified Dividends" category and were favorable to own under the federal tax structure.

:coffee:

Yes, but interest rates are so low the price of munis has gotten pretty expensive (driving yield low).  I usually have some of this and have none now.  I'll hold some of the levered CEFs, but last I checked they were going for way over par.  Sold out of mine.

With regard to the bolded, that's my question.

In the past, these fell under the "Qualified Dividends" category and were favorable to own under the federal tax structure.
Typically these fall into the "tax free" category, though some have an AMT component.  Non-REIT equities typically get the qualified dividend treatment.  REITs get a different, qualified structure thanks to the new tax law.  Nothing like simplifying complicating the tax code even more!

Yes, but interest rates are so low the price of munis has gotten pretty expensive (driving yield low).  I usually have some of this and have none now.  I'll hold some of the levered CEFs, but last I checked they were going for way over par.  Sold out of mine.

Typically these fall into the "tax free" category, though some have an AMT component.  Non-REIT equities typically get the qualified dividend treatment.  REITs get a different, qualified structure thanks to the new tax law.  Nothing like simplifying complicating the tax code even more!
I had not seen anything before about changing tax structure on REITs. Are they now better or worse? I have a little too much in them at the moment for the income.

Thoughts on Disney (DIS) and AT&T (T) and GOGO?
I think they are all great names which have run up a lot in the past few months. Long term, all are good buys but too rich for me to buy at these levels. Could look at T which isn’t as frothy plus pays a juicy dividend, although I like the other two brands more. Guess you get what you pay for.

edit: I assumed you meant GOOG.

Last edited by a moderator:
nice 5% pop on open

Impressive Results Continue from CytoDyn’s Clinical Trials Evaluating Two Patients with Leronlimab, One in mTNBC and One in MBC

BY GlobeNewswire
— 5:00 AM ET 01/22/2020

First patient with metastatic triple-negative breast cancer (mTNBC) continues to show no detectable circulating tumor cells (CTC) or putative metastatic tumor cells after 15 weeks of treatment with leronlimab in combination with carboplatin

Second patient with stage 4 HER2+ metastatic breast cancer (MBC) shows 50 percent shrinkage in the primary tumor and no new signs of metastasis in the brain after treatment with 

Thoughts on Disney (DIS) and AT&T (T) and GOGO?
DIS is a long term hold for me... I intend on passing that to my kids. 

On another note, I've never shorted Tesla, although it feels like it is setting up for superb short lately (but I prob still won't). They sold 367k cars in 2019, VW sold 10.8mm, guess who is worth more? 

DIS is a long term hold for me... I intend on passing that to my kids. 

On another note, I've never shorted Tesla, although it feels like it is setting up for superb short lately (but I prob still won't). They sold 367k cars in 2019, VW sold 10.8mm, guess who is worth more? 
Plus TSLA announces earnings in a couple weeks. Could tumble. 

Where do we think the floor is for DIS here? Shanghai closed. Hong Kong Closed. Case reported in Orange County won't help, even if Disneyland is a long way from needing to close. Short-term pain, one would think, but it can certainly drag on them. Feels like they have further to fall. But then balance what it likely does in May against what I'm guessing will be good earnings in Feb (none of this will be recognized until next quarter).

CYDY running again this morning. Up about 4% so far this morning.

Leronlimab Under Evaluation for Potential Treatment of Coronavirus

VANCOUVER, Washington, Jan. 28, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- CytoDyn Inc. ( CYDY “CytoDyn” or the “Company"), a late-stage biotechnology company developing leronlimab (PRO 140), a CCR5 antagonist with the potential for multiple therapeutic indications, today announced that it is exploring leronlimab as a potential treatment for patients infected with the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV), a rapidly spreading virus and potential worldwide emergency.

“Leronlimab has both the potential to enhance the cellular immune response by suppressing Treg cells that, in turn, inhibit the anti-viral T-cell responses and the potential to repolarize macrophage activity,” said Bruce Patterson, M.D., chief executive officer and founder of IncellDx, a diagnostic partner and an advisor to CytoDyn ( CYDY ). “Lung (alveolar) macrophages in coronavirus infections have been implicated as a contributing factor to significant morbidity and mortality of the infectious disease. Leronlimab could potentially synergize with other retroviral therapies that currently being used for the potential treatment of 2019-nCoV.”

Users who are viewing this thread