What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (10 Viewers)

Remember that this is end of month and pension funds must purchase stock.

According to Goldman Sachs month end pension fund rebalancing will result in the need to buy over $210 billion in equities! Be aware!

I don't think short/midterm is a danger for it to happen. But with the shortage of basic equipment and supplies and general lack of preparedness added to the bailing out going on now, it is getting harder and harder to justify private heath care industry.  Nationalized health care would have been in a much stronger position to deal with this pandemic.
I don't want to get into that conversation in this thread. I'm personally for both private and public health care options. I'm against eliminating any private option. I'd be surprised if that happens so I am more bullish on pharma and healthcare in general. If you feel strongly the opposite way I do, you should probably be bearish on those sectors. 

This is a nice relief rally. 

One more retest and we are all in. And I am very positive we will get another retest. How far down? Who knows. But this is not the end. Too early. Everything is news sensitive. 

The bottom was probably hit in cruise lines, hotels and airlines (and Boeing for sure). 

Again tons of short covering going on, Endowments and Pensions rebalancing right now. We have another week or two of some very scary violent legs down. 

I don’t think it is foolish to wait a week or two more at all. 

This is a nice relief rally. 

One more retest and we are all in. And I am very positive we will get another retest. How far down? Who knows. But this is not the end. Too early. Everything is news sensitive. 

The bottom was probably hit in cruise lines, hotels and airlines (and Boeing for sure). 

Again tons of short covering going on, Endowments and Pensions rebalancing right now. We have another week or two of some very scary violent legs down. 

I don’t think it is foolish to wait a week or two more at all. 
Yeah let's say for the sake of argument that the House plays games and doesn't pass the bill tomorrow and unemployment numbers are crazy bad.     If I were them and I was trying to get more out of the deal, I'd wait...   any outstanding demands are likely to be met.     They don't gain a super ton by passing this today.     Once the deal is passed no one is going to care they waited one or two more days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had to cash out. Put equal shares of my secondary Roth in two small-caps I've been following (FLXN and INMD) last week and both went parabolic on me. I fully expect to be able to buy the same shares back cheaper at some point in the next month. If I can't, well, +60% in a week is a nice consolation prize.

I'd strongly advise folks who've done this well or better this week to take some chips off the table now as well with the same strategy in mind.

@Todem & @siffoin

What are your feelings? Time to start buying in under presumption bulk of correction is over, or wait for another dip once euphoria of stimulus gives way to news of deaths spiking in a week or three? 
I think my answer would depend on what your time frame is.  On an hourly chart - yep - confirmed bullish trend from yesterday morning.  Daily chart is bearish - so in this case I'd be looking at what happens to the 60min chart as it nears $SPY $270ish...then $280.  There is resistance up to $300- you'd sell into that.  On the LT monthly chart.  Not sure.  The bar for March has yet to fully print.  In the best case scenario there is massive damage to the LT Trend.  In a worser case the LT Bull Trend is broken...being honest I don't actually know and may not fully know for a couple more months.  If we are in the beginning stages of a Bear Market understand that it is common to have massive bounces within that bear trend.  And I'm shocked the market fell this far for this long before we've has any kind of bounce like we're seeing the past couple of days.  My recommendation remains the same.  Find the companies you would like to own and buy them off support levels within the LT Trend.

Remember that this is end of month and pension funds must purchase stock.

According to Goldman Sachs month end pension fund rebalancing will result in the need to buy over $210 billion in equities! Be aware!
I think I asked this before.  What does this mean?

"rebalancing" implies selling too, at least to me. So I wonder if "$210 billion" is the net amount that has to be bought? 

Seems kinda pumper-ish to me tbh
Not in times like these I'd guess... the stock part took a hit and is now too low of a percentage, so they gotta dump some bonds in there.   

"rebalancing" implies selling too, at least to me. So I wonder if "$210 billion" is the net amount that has to be bought? 

Seems kinda pumper-ish to me tbh
EVerything going on right now is artificial.  Nothing is open, nobody is going anywhere or doing anything or spending anything.  

EVerything going on right now is artificial.  Nothing is open, nobody is going anywhere or doing anything or spending anything.  
I thought that.  I went to get pickup today and to break a $100 at the bank drive thru to have the right change to pay my dad's live in caretakers.  The place I picked up from, no cars in lot, they put food in the back seat, paid over phone, no real interaction.  I had to go through the Home Depot parking lot to get to a light to get back on the highway, could hardly get through it.  Lot at least 3/4 full and big groups of people walking in and out.  Some people treating it like it's summer.  

Everything going on right now is artificial.  Nothing is open, nobody is going anywhere or doing anything or spending anything.  
A) It's important to understand that the stock market is often forward thinking/speculative and is often times not based on what is going on now.

B) Plenty of businesses and corporations are open, some are doing even better.   The stock market isn't just restaurants and retail stores.

I thought that.  I went to get pickup today and to break a $100 at the bank drive thru to have the right change to pay my dad's live in caretakers.  The place I picked up from, no cars in lot, they put food in the back seat, paid over phone, no real interaction.  I had to go through the Home Depot parking lot to get to a light to get back on the highway, could hardly get through it.  Lot at least 3/4 full and big groups of people walking in and out.  Some people treating it like it's summer.  
My brother owns the subway here, and they had to close yesterday.  Not enough business plus the parents of all the youngsters working there dont want them at work.  This is in northeast Ohio.  Not even sure there are confirmed cases in my county.

is there a specific gain% you guys would typically sell at? i have one sitting at 24%
I don't think you can say in a general sense when it's time to sell at any certain percentage.  I'd say it depends on what bucket of money it is in, to me retirement money is way different than money I saved on the side to take a few shots, etc.  For me, the lesson I took from 2008 was never to think it's always going to retest or go back lower.  I sold off a lot on one of the rallies back then with the plan to just rebuy when we retested.  It never did and my wealth is way worse off today because of that error in my decision making.  I bought some VFIAX around SP 2398 I think it was.  That was long term money for me and I'm in for the duration on that purchase regardless of what happens short term.  I may take more if we go back lower.

My brother owns the subway here, and they had to close yesterday.  Not enough business plus the parents of all the youngsters working there dont want them at work.  This is in northeast Ohio.  Not even sure there are confirmed cases in my county.
i was talking to someone about subway the other day. they should just sell loafs of bread - people would flock there

And it sounds like the House isn't voting until tomorrow and Pelosi is being pretty non commital.     My guess for tomorrow, really bad jobs report, House remains optimistic that a deal can happen but there's still language that needs to be worked out and we don't get a bill passed.    Fear rises.

House remains optimistic that a deal can happen but there's still language that needs to be worked out and we don't get a bill passed.    
This bill has already been priced in. What they need to do is not sign, let it fall, then sign, then get another pop from this bill. Regardless, without an effective treatment, the direction overall will remain down. 

And it sounds like the House isn't voting until tomorrow and Pelosi is being pretty non commital.     My guess for tomorrow, really bad jobs report, House remains optimistic that a deal can happen but there's still language that needs to be worked out and we don't get a bill passed.    Fear rises.
I think all the sick people filling up hospitals might come into play as well.

Marriott and Hilton are  going to be the steal of the century...but they are still far from a bottom.
Most airlines and hotels are 50% of the 52 week high.

criuselines are 70% off the 52 week high.

any other stocks out there 50% or more off the high?

Saw a screener the other day for companies valued at over $10B, no debt and down over 40% - was going to start buying these but tbh, I got tied up with a few other things and really don't feel like buying anything I don't love until there is some good real good news.

SHOP, LULU & CMG

looked like a pretty good list of candidates to be able to weather the storm :shrug:

We get it, you remind us how smart you are daily.

Crack a beer, chill out for a bit.  😂
I made massive bank in the last 3 weeks and didn't say a word throughout. Usually when someone is making good call after call, people pay attention, not be condescending jerks. I'd speak my real opinion, but you PSF members are usually a sensitive bunch that hit report on anything, I've never used it once, fyi.

Today, I basically said this is about to sell, literally right before it happened. And hey, there goes 800 points in 30 minutes :shrug:

Carry on. 

Users who are viewing this thread