What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (7 Viewers)

People are lazy, they are chomping at the bit to go back to restaurants. Most don’t count calories, save money or worry about theIr future. Case in point all the morons buying up TP, they will continue to throw away their money once this is over. Americans are lazy and sheepish.
:shrug: stocking up on tp might be the smartest thing some people do.

I'm playing this day to day....but I'll be back in at 18K Dow, but not all the way in and likely pretty selective with what I buy...it won't be an index.   

14-16K Dow is the bottom when compared to the Great Recession P/E ratios...and there is  debate as to whether this pandemic is worse than the systemic failures of that recession.   There are logical arguments for a bottom lower than 14K based on PE ratios and potential world bank solvency issues as real estate issues could potentially escalate.

I also predict I'll be 100% in no later than Mid May and as early as Mid April.  I don't want to miss the ride up...even if it's not v-shaped.
I'm with this.  I'm mostly back on the sidelines, but for my index funds that I just can't bear to touch.  I think I go in and buy with the rest of my cash somewhere in 16-18 range.  I think we have to get back there.  But who knows.

People are lazy, they are chomping at the bit to go back to restaurants. Most don’t count calories, save money or worry about theIr future. Case in point all the morons buying up TP, they will continue to throw away their money once this is over. Americans are lazy and sheepish.
Agreed, But that’s not the issue that concerns me. The concern will be restrictions on the size of gatherings allowed And for how long that goes on for. When things open back up they’re not gonna open back up 100% normal. I bet dollars to donuts they’re limiting gathering sizes for 30/60 or 90 days after.  Restaurants cannot survive on reduced volume load.  

You would have laughed at me. I found them when they were pioneering drugs for ulcerative colitis and crohns a long time ago. It has languished between $1-$3 for the entire time I've had it. It is just now gaining traction because of a Japanese company (Healios) exercising warrants 6 months early for 7M shares, an insider buy at $1.75 just a couple days ago. It could really explode, who knows? But they do have a FDA fast tracked respiratory drug that could save the world!
Honestly, their results are good but I hope Leronlimab has better results. Not saying it wasn’t an improvement but I hope we see better than a 40% to 25% death rate improvement. 

Patients in the exploratory study were evaluated through 28 days for the primary clinical assessment and were further assessed through a one-year follow-up period. We announced the encouraging one year data in January of 2020. Data highlights from the trial include the following:

Lower mortality of 25% in the MultiStem treatment group vs. 40% in the placebo group;

40.2% higher ventilator-free (VF) days, (12.9 VF days in the MultiStem treatment group vs. 9.2 VF days for the placebo group);

27.2% higher ICU-free days, (10.3 days in MultiStem subjects vs. 8.1 days for subjects receiving placebo);

Rapid improvement in pulmonary function was observed among MultiStem treated subjects, with 45% of these patients achieving ventilator independence by study day 7 vs only 20%  placebo in the placebo group; 

In more severe ARDS patients (as evident from a prospectively defined analysis), the difference between MultiStem treatment and placebo was greater – 25% mortality in MultiStem group vs. 50% in placebo group, 14.6 VF days in MultiStem group vs. 8.0 VF days in placebo group, and 11.4 ICU-free days in MultiStem group versus 5.9 ICU-free days in placebo group; 

Day-365 Quality of Life (QoL) outcomes, assessed by the EQ-5D, were meaningfully better among all survivors who received MultiStem treatment compared to those who received placebo;

Within the prospectively defined group of patients with more severe ARDS, MultiStem treatment was associated with a markedly greater rate of survival and progression to functional independence at one year (i.e., self-care); and

MultiStem treatment was well tolerated in this very sick ARDS patient population, with no serious adverse events related to administration.

Agreed, But that’s not the issue that concerns me. The concern will be restrictions on the size of gatherings allowed And for how long that goes on for. When things open back up they’re not gonna open back up 100% normal. I bet dollars to donuts they’re limiting gathering sizes for 30/60 or 90 days after.  Restaurants cannot survive on reduced volume load.  
I own a company that relies on large gathering events, and sadly I have to agree with this.

Avid Sports Bettor Forced To Gamble On Stock Market Like Real Degenerate

https://sports.theonion.com/avid-sports-bettor-forced-to-gamble-on-stock-market-lik-1842616280?fbclid=IwAR2-VvD1rtAFCij5x9gsLgWFT3vZo3y2Nm3BSHLJT3RTh-ZrZ0kXrMaTK-E

ALLENTOWN, PA—Worried that what was once a manageable vice had fallen into uncontrolled depravity, avid sports bettor Evan Laramie revealed Wednesday that he had been forced to gamble on the stock market like a real degenerate. “It’s one thing to lose three grand on an NBA parlay, but I never thought I’d have to wager on medical research companies and computer chip manufacturers to get my fix. I always thought those people were sick,” said Laramie, adding that ever since he’d fallen into this dark underworld, he has taken pains to hide his stock portfolio from his wife so she wouldn’t stage an intervention. “The rush I get from seeing the Dow Jones up 4% is unbelievable. Man, I really need baseball to come back so I can break out of this downward spiral. I almost blew my kid’s college fund buying Tesla stock. What have I been reduced to?” At press time, Laramie was donating $5,000 to his favorite local bookie to help them survive the pandemic.

I moved a bit more in today.... now 70 IN / 30 Cash 

Models show us looking at ~15-20k people dying next week and possibly 60-80k the following week. I have to think that induces another push down... barring significant promise from treatments like CYDY and Chloroquine. 
exactly what I did. rebought what I sold yesterday

The industry is not disappearing.  It will most likely never be the same as it was before, but it will return with a white hot vengeance, even with restrictions.

Us fatties will climb over each other to get back into TGI Friday's.

The industry is not disappearing.  It will most likely never be the same as it was before, but it will return with a white hot vengeance, even with restrictions.

The bullish argument for the chains is that they may have enough levers to stay open. So when the mom and pop Italian place closes, you're forced to go to Olive Garden. As with any bear market, the survivors in these beaten down industries will come back with a vengeance. 

The bullish argument for the chains is that they may have enough levers to stay open. So when the mom and pop Italian place closes, you're forced to go to Olive Garden. As with any bear market, the survivors in these beaten down industries will come back with a vengeance. 
You're not wrong.

Sadly there are some local places that serve amazing food and that I'd hate to think leave forever.  I don't eat out much at all, but when this crap lessens and is opened up a bit I'll be hitting up some of them.

Last edited by a moderator:

I certainly don’t think it’s disappearing, that’s just not realistic, but it will likely look different with a far amount of brands and local concepts going under.  

There are others here that are far more knowledgeable being that I’m a noob to the stock game, but from a business standpoint, I’d say there’s not an insignificant chance they don’t make it. And that’s just the reality for most restaurant brands right now, especially the longer this goes on. Restaurants are low margin business, volume is key. Volume is seriously going to be restricted for the short term future for sure. I’m scared to death for this industry right now.

Thanks for the thoughts.  I'm betting on the Americans loving the dinners out and the big guys being able to weather the storm better than the small guys.  I'm not concerned about the size restrictions because organized sports aren't going away. 

Thanks for the thoughts.  I'm betting on the Americans loving the dinners out and the big guys being able to weather the storm better than the small guys.  I'm not concerned about the size restrictions because organized sports aren't going away. 
I don't know. Certain speculation that some leagues are planning on opening up ASAP with no fans. Not sure what the probability is of this popping back up again but I have to imagine if social distancing persists into the fall and this thing comes back around, sporting events will bear the biggest brunt of it. 

I don't know. Certain speculation that some leagues are planning on opening up ASAP with no fans. Not sure what the probability is of this popping back up again but I have to imagine if social distancing persists into the fall and this thing comes back around, sporting events will bear the biggest brunt of it. 
Logistically it's very difficult to justify how it's safe even with no fans.  It's unsafe for fans to sit in the stands yet it's ok for guys to be exerting themselves physically, sweating, and in contact.  That doesn't even take into account the enclosed spaces of locker rooms, hotels or wherever they'd house them, etc.  I've heard theories of a "bubble" where they take over an arena in Vegas or somewhere in the Midwest that's not as affected.  Perhaps I guess, but you can't fly teams all over the country during this.  There aren't going to be hotels and safe ways to handle this.  Maybe the leagues do this to try and keep the television money, but I don't think it would be necessarily safe.  I'm trying to be optimistic as best I can for football in 2020 but right now I'm just not seeing it.

I'm trying to be optimistic as best I can for football in 2020 but right now I'm just not seeing it.
Maybe I'm being overly optimistic (or naive) but August is 4 months away andI'm hopeful the NFL can have a normal amount of games in 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just want the draft to happen. I can only imagine the ratings of the draft. There is no sports on at all. The draft will be like the Super Bowl. I will watch every single pick. 
I'm telling you golf could jump way up in America's sport rankings.  This is the one sport where they could keep everyone socially distant.  If they could solve the travel problem they'd have superbowl like ratings.  Hell, they could use an applause track and I'd be ok with that.

Logistically it's very difficult to justify how it's safe even with no fans.  It's unsafe for fans to sit in the stands yet it's ok for guys to be exerting themselves physically, sweating, and in contact.  That doesn't even take into account the enclosed spaces of locker rooms, hotels or wherever they'd house them, etc.  I've heard theories of a "bubble" where they take over an arena in Vegas or somewhere in the Midwest that's not as affected.  Perhaps I guess, but you can't fly teams all over the country during this.  There aren't going to be hotels and safe ways to handle this.  Maybe the leagues do this to try and keep the television money, but I don't think it would be necessarily safe.  I'm trying to be optimistic as best I can for football in 2020 but right now I'm just not seeing it.
I mean at a certain point, things will have to open up. Even Cuomo today talked about re-opening the economy. I would assume sports will be one of the first things back. If you have 15 minute testing and quarantine the teams, I think it is relatively safe. I mean if you think this is a 1-year lockdown or until we get a vaccine or cure, then you should buy 1k puts on the SPY. 

Gonna need the Saudis to switch from shorting the US markets to going long. When they do, they will flip to buyers of US markets, cut production and come to terms with Russia to drive the oil price up as the economy recovers. They are making a killing off this sell off. They aren't dropping the price of oil because they like us. They know that dropping the price hurts US production and exploration. Well done by them, perfectly timed. Not a coincidence.

Eventually this will recover. 
I agree.  In the meantime they are bankrupting a lot of independent oil companies with this glut of oil.  IMO

I agree.  In the meantime they are bankrupting a lot of independent oil companies with this glut of oil.  IMO
Awfully quick filings to pin on the Saudis and Russia. US has been pumping too much and driving the price down. They needed some consolidation / rationalization in the US as well. 

Cruise bookings are on the rise for 2021 despite COVID-19

It seems travelers are prepared to batten down the hatches and sail close to the wind, as cruise bookings for 2021 are on the rise.

Analysts at UBS say booking volume for 2021 cruises has “gone up 9 percent in the last 30 days versus the same time last year,” despite many cruise ships currently quarantined amid the coronavirus pandemic.

“That includes people applying their future cruise credits from sailings that were cancelled this year, but still shows a surprising resilience in desire to book a cruise,” UBS equity analysts wrote in a March 31 report on cruise lines.

The analysis doesn’t show how much of the reported increase is actually people just optimistically re-booking their canceled cruise for next year, though.

Yeah I think people are way overestimating people's future reluctance to do things like cruise or frequent restaurants.

My family and I are not "cruise people".  In fact we've never actually been on one.  We had our 1st ever planned for this month (would be on it right now).  When it was canceled they offered us either a 100% cash refund or a 125% credit that we'd have to use within 15 months.  It never even occurred to us for a second that we wouldn't be re-booking the cruise so we took the credit without thinking twice.

Also doesn't say what price they're paying. You're also floating the cruises for a year. Probably smarter to take your cruise money and put it in the stock for a year. Can probably pay for the cruise a few times over if they're still running next year. 
I looked at Disney cruises prices today for next May, on a lark. More expensive than the one we just took in December. Lot of demand I take it. 

Gonna need the Saudis to switch from shorting the US markets to going long. When they do, they will flip to buyers of US markets, cut production and come to terms with Russia to drive the oil price up as the economy recovers. They are making a killing off this sell off. They aren't dropping the price of oil because they like us. They know that dropping the price hurts US production and exploration. Well done by them, perfectly timed. Not a coincidence.

Eventually this will recover. 
When this flips it is going to be fast.  I also wonder how much longer Russia can keep this production up.

Am I  in the minority here thinking that 1) within months if not weeks, we will know so much more about this virus that we will be able to test for it just like we test for strep at a cheap cost and quickly, 2) there will be treatments (like Lebronlimade) so that the mortality rate will be in line with other illnesses like flu, and 3) we will be well on our way to developing vaccines if not a cure within a year to 18 months? I think those are all reasonable assumptions, if not overly conservative, and if that's the case, the service industries will be back in business and booming within 18 months. Of course, one needs to avoid investing in companies that will go bankrupt, and many will, but the survivors should pay off handsomely. People forget about stuff very quickly. There will be cheap and plentiful cruises in 2021 and the industry will be well on their way to "business as usual" by 2022.

Fauci just mentioned a monoclonal antibody as a possible treatment.  Leronlimab is a monoclonal antibody. 
Monoclonal antibody has not quite gotten into my vocabulary yet but will try to incorporate that into a sentence this week.

In the meantime for all the laymen, are there any other monoclonoal anitbodies that are competing vs leronlimab?  Or does CYDY have a mono-poly here

Thanks!

Yeah I think people are way overestimating people's future reluctance to do things like cruise or frequent restaurants.

My family and I are not "cruise people".  In fact we've never actually been on one.  We had our 1st ever planned for this month (would be on it right now).  When it was canceled they offered us either a 100% cash refund or a 125% credit that we'd have to use within 15 months.  It never even occurred to us for a second that we wouldn't be re-booking the cruise so we took the credit without thinking twice.
I just draw a distinction between restaurants and cruises. I mean going to an Olive Garden, I'm not going to be worried about being stuck on a death ship where I can't get off. I assume the stories on cruises will be pretty disturbing and the studies are likely to show that these ships passed the virus through the ventilation system. I would guess we're likely to get a vaccine or something within a year given the billions pouring in but if this persists for a year, no cruise line equity will be worth anything. 

You can fly anywhere you want.  There are hotels.

"Safe" will return to its place in the pecking order of our lives soon.  People will stampede to be unsafe if it means returning to our jobs and lives.

When this flips it is going to be fast.  I also wonder how much longer Russia can keep this production up.
I'm not so sure at this point. World demand in 2019 was approximately 100 million b/d and supply was within that number by a couple hundred thousand b/d. Firms are estimating that current demand destruction of oil is at about 20%. That is 20 million b/d in excess. SA is now producing 13 million b/d and Russia about 11 million b/d.

If we continue to lockdown internationally for the next 45 days, we are looking at a surplus of 900 million barrels. That doesn't even account for the China slowdown and the time it takes to ramp up after we all get back to work. At that point, a reduction in SA and Russia production is a rounding error. It will likely take a couple of years to bring balance back to the oil markets.

You can fly anywhere you want.  There are hotels.

"Safe" will return to its place in the pecking order of our lives soon.  People will stampede to be unsafe if it means returning to our jobs and lives.
Sure.  But when we get to that point it will also be "safe" to have fans.  Maybe they play a few games in empty stadiums or small training camp type courts in the case of the NBA to fit in the playoffs, but I don't see that being a longer term or season long solution.  If you're flying, in locker rooms, in hotels, my point is how much more unsafe could sitting in the stands be?

Am I  in the minority here thinking that 1) within months if not weeks, we will know so much more about this virus that we will be able to test for it just like we test for strep at a cheap cost and quickly, 2) there will be treatments (like Lebronlimade) so that the mortality rate will be in line with other illnesses like flu, and 3) we will be well on our way to developing vaccines if not a cure within a year to 18 months? I think those are all reasonable assumptions, if not overly conservative, and if that's the case, the service industries will be back in business and booming within 18 months. Of course, one needs to avoid investing in companies that will go bankrupt, and many will, but the survivors should pay off handsomely. People forget about stuff very quickly. There will be cheap and plentiful cruises in 2021 and the industry will be well on their way to "business as usual" by 2022.
I just don't know how easy it is to turn things back on. I think the recovery will be somewhat quick but we've never had to essentially jump start an economy from scratch. I presume the Fed and government will do what is necessary and but you're going to have to instill consumer confidence again. 

Users who are viewing this thread