What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (17 Viewers)

NDLS - Noodles and Company

$27.35

I think this stock performs well in the longterm. They have teenagers cooking pasta so the overhead is very low and they are expanding like crazy. They are going to catch on, I can almost guarantee if there isn't one in your area there will be soon.
Why should this noodle company be worthy of an investment over ShopHouse, the noodle-chain restaurant that is spun off of the already successful and proven Chipotle?

What impact do you see in them trying to compete with such a powerhouse franchise?
Fun Fact: N&C is actually run by a former Chipotle COO.

$27.35

I think this stock performs well in the longterm. They have teenagers cooking pasta so the overhead is very low and they are expanding like crazy. They are going to catch on, I can almost guarantee if there isn't one in your area there will be soon.
Noodles & Potbelly

WWE Stock is up about 17% since I made mention awhile ago. The stock was undervalued and has begun correcting itself. I unfortunately had to sell my $582 worth to buy schoolbooks. -.-

($11.92 to $13.92.)
:lmao:
Why don't you short both of them and get back to me, old sport? :)

EDIT:

To counter that article, didn't Facebook's stock crash right after it went public? That's essentially what the article says about Noodles. I've actually worked in a Noodles restaurant and know the place is absolutely swamped; line out the door.

I've lightened my holdings, but I'm debating moving to almost all cash.

Every single article I read calls for a crash/correction/major drop, even more now then just a few months back (when there were still a bunch of these articles). While I hate listening to those in media in these scenarios, the literature makes sense. Maybe I'm just being a little paranoid, but for the last few weeks the first thing I do when I open my eyes is go to bloomberg, marketwatch, wsj, etc.. We're also half way to 1850 from the highs which was Siff's call very recently, feels like this is imminent and there could be more pain.

Maybe I'm talking like this bc it is my gut screaming to me "get out now".

IDK, just a little confused this morning... Anyone else considering moving a large portion of their holdings into cash?

Every single article I read calls for a crash/correction/major drop, even more now then just a few months back (when there were still a bunch of these articles). While I hate listening to those in media in these scenarios, the literature makes sense. Maybe I'm just being a little paranoid, but for the last few weeks the first thing I do when I open my eyes is go to bloomberg, marketwatch, wsj, etc.. We're also half way to 1850 from the highs which was Siff's call very recently, feels like this is imminent and there could be more pain.

IDK, just a little confused this morning... Anyone else considering moving a large portion of their holdings into cash?
Don't make your investment decisions based off of some article - or (because I was referenced) me. Take the time to figure out some method of determining when the market is bullish and when the market is bearish and then invest accordingly.

Investing is NOT a game of perfect. But you can do pretty dang good being on the correct side of a trend.

Buy and Hold = No Plan for Risk Management. Caveat Emptor.

I would tell you where I think this is going but I just said "don't listen to me." With that said 1850ish is just the 1st level of support..not necessarily a bottom.

Don't make your investment decisions based off of some article - or (because I was referenced) me. Take the time to figure out some method of determining when the market is bullish and when the market is bearish and then invest accordingly.

Investing is NOT a game of perfect. But you can do pretty dang good being on the correct side of a trend.

I would tell you where I think this is going but I just said "don't listen to me." With that said 1850ish is just the 1st level of support..not necessarily a bottom.
When it comes to investing, I'm just such a beginner. Unfortunately I have a decent amount of investable funds and am kinda clueless.

I think a lot of it will come with experience, which I would assume I prob have less than most in this thread.

IF SNP touches off 1850 I probably dial back to the "moderately conservative" asset allocation. Not going to go jump out of any windows. imo there is still tons of support through the 4Q from the fed, and I don't think they have the balls to pull the rug out completely.

When it comes to investing, I'm just such a beginner. Unfortunately I have a decent amount of investable funds and am kinda clueless.

I think a lot of it will come with experience, which I would assume I prob have less than most in this thread.
this is where I am. I lost a bunch by trying to find the right stock so I'm in almost all ETFs now, except a few stocks with my play money, and in Google for the long haul. Likewise, I've considered moving my Roth into a more conservative mix, but maybe moving my kids educational IRAs makes more sense as they're going to use them (hopefully) before I can reach into my Roth.

fantasycurse42 said:
siffoin said:
fantasycurse42 said:

You're not really going to learning anything when the market is in a well established trend. You will learn the most when the market is in transition...from a bull to a bear or a bear to a bull.

What is your action plan? Because I'm thinking class is in session.

*Important note: At nearly every change of trend the market will make a move back towards the old highs (from bull to bear) or old lows (from bear to bull). This is especially true when a market flips from bull to bear - in that there are often MULTIPLE opportunities to exit near the highs (highs being relative to the extent of the following bear market).

fantasycurse42 said:
siffoin said:
fantasycurse42 said:

You're not really going to learning anything when the market is in a well established trend. You will learn the most when the market is in transition...from a bull to a bear or a bear to a bull.

What is your action plan? Because I'm thinking class is in session.

*Important note: At nearly every change of trend the market will make a move back towards the old highs (from bull to bear) or old lows (from bear to bull). This is especially true when a market flips from bull to bear - in that there are often MULTIPLE opportunities to exit near the highs (highs being relative to the extent of the following bear market).
I really need to evaluate... My initial thought is run for cover and protect my money.

IMO, a market like the one we have been experiencing kinda levels the playing field to the point where Eminence thinks he is Warren Buffet. It is when things start to look choppy like they do now, when the experience really pays off bc I am honestly lost as to what I should do. Whatever it is, it will prob be wrong and cost me $$$, but at least as I continue to accumulate more investable assets, this will help me in the future.

At this point Em is just naming things he interacts with daily. Best Buy, oh I bought a cool TV there last year... I see great long term potential. Noodles, oh I ate there last week... great pasta BUY BUY BUY. Hemp, I love getting high. No brainer. Facebook, bro check out this status I posted last week. People are going to be lining up to hear what I think. Get in now. Twitter. Wrestling. Cmon man.

At this point Em is just naming things he interacts with daily. Best Buy, oh I bought a cool TV there last year... I see great long term potential. Noodles, oh I ate there last week... great pasta BUY BUY BUY. Hemp, I love getting high. No brainer. Facebook, bro check out this status I posted last week. People are going to be lining up to hear what I think. Get in now. Twitter. Wrestling. Cmon man.
Good thing he doesn't live near a uranium mine.

hmmm, i have a good chunk of my portfolio in cash....wondering if monday might be the entry point. Siff any update on next months sector? And did we ever figure out if we should be doubling up on AMZN?
double up to average down my per share price. AMZN will probably hit zero now.

hmmm, i have a good chunk of my portfolio in cash....wondering if monday might be the entry point. Siff any update on next months sector? And did we ever figure out if we should be doubling up on AMZN?
double up to average down my per share price. AMZN will probably hit zero now.
Long long term I love Amazon. I think they figure out how to make money eventually. If they do, they become a monster and would be way undervalued to where they are now.

For the next 12 months, it feels like a lot of downward pressure.

$27.35

Noodles & Potbelly

WWE Stock is up about 17% since I made mention awhile ago. The stock was undervalued and has begun correcting itself. I unfortunately had to sell my $582 worth to buy schoolbooks. -.-

($11.92 to $13.92.)
Why don't you short both of them and get back to me, old sport? :)
why don't you go away....this is a thread for investors that actually put money into the market instead of making stupid predictions. Go hard delete your other thread.
Funny, my pick in the stock contest is doing better than some of you "investors". I threw out a 17% increase stock in a month. That seems like a pretty decent gain, no?
Last response for you so that you don't clutter up this thread like you have everything else that you have touched: You understand most of the people in here have diversified portfolios right? We are all actual investors not hypothetical investors. Now go away.

Don't forget McDonalds! I love that stuff.

Interested in starting investing and going to have a bit more income to play with in the near future. I don't want to go into it blind or go the Eminence route of investing in retail outlets I pass in my drive to work, so is there a generally accepted best book or two for beginners?

Interested in starting investing and going to have a bit more income to play with in the near future. I don't want to go into it blind or go the Eminence route of investing in retail outlets I pass in my drive to work, so is there a generally accepted best book or two for beginners?
I'd start with Liar's Poker just to establish that as an individual investor you are an underdog, outmanned and outmatched.

Then start with A Random Walk Down Wall Street, The Intelligent Investor and Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits to establish a classical foundation.

Good lord, Yellen sounds EXACTLY like Dr. Melfi from The Sopranos. Close your eyes and picture her talking to Tony....uncanny.
I told my FA to take the rest of my money that I have in stocks out today. In the 9+ years I've been with him, I've never asked him to do anything specific and have always trusted his judgment as he's a MUCH smarter guy that me.

Between Crimea, this plane missing and what I know is a god ####### awful economy, I don't want anything to do with it for awhile. Getting out close to the all time high helps too.
Looks like this was a good call.

I got out too early in my 401k though, about 16 months ago. I'm up 5.3 percent on the year though, which is nice.

Anyone have an opinion on day trading? Anyone doing it actively? I looked through the forum using search, but couldnt find any recent or relevant discussion. It's something i've been interested in since the late 90s tech bubble. Never really did it, but the analytical focus of it all appeals to me.

Any strong opinions on whether to try it out? I'm relatively disciplined, have some funds i can afford to lose (would rather not of course), am pretty good at spotting patterns, and am not looking to get rich off it.

Anyone have an opinion on day trading? Anyone doing it actively? I looked through the forum using search, but couldnt find any recent or relevant discussion. It's something i've been interested in since the late 90s tech bubble. Never really did it, but the analytical focus of it all appeals to me.

Any strong opinions on whether to try it out? I'm relatively disciplined, have some funds i can afford to lose (would rather not of course), am pretty good at spotting patterns, and am not looking to get rich off it.
No need to day trade. Put your money into HEMP and WWE and wait for TWTR to fall before you buy. In no time you'll be rich,

No need to day trade. Put your money into HEMP and WWE and wait for TWTR to fall before you buy. In no time you'll be rich,
i was going to just follow eminence on Twitter, will that have the same effect?

i was going to just follow eminence on Twitter, will that have the same effect?
No, you have to put your money down. But, if you do follow Eminence on Twitter, your status as a human being is raised substantially.

I bought into KMP and GOOGL, expecting the latter to be L-T hold. Considering the FEYE play, too. Their financials certainly look like they're ramping up.
Curious what's your thinking on GOOGL over GOOG if you see significant difference and do you not see long term potential with KMP?
As I previously stated, I realize my voting rights are inconsequential but would rather have them than not.
Pretty much this.

I see long-term potential with KMP, but when I say L-T hold, what I really mean is that I'll likely tolerate more volatility in GOOGL than it. I have confidence in GOOGL long-term, so I'll give it more downside without selling and may hold past the point at which I'd sell a similar return on KMP. Though maybe not. I bought DDD expecting to hold it for a while, and I ended up flipping it very quickly. Stuff happens. There are expectations and then there is reality. Set the one and react to the other.
So, I'm pretty much at this point. I'm considering that quick an 18% on KMP a pretty good return. This thing going to park over $100 with the consolidation news? Seems like more accounting than any true significant value being added. What am I missing that might say to hold onto this?

If russia shooting a plane down, an ebola scare, spiking oil prices, and an end of government interventions in the bond market can't stop this market I don't know what can.

Sold my Apple shares today. Final tally was a total 72% return over about 33 months for a 26% return per year.

Bought Tesla. Hoping for a 30-50% return in the next 12-18 months.

Bought YUM yesterday - first acquisition in a while. Good prospects. Looked hard at MCD, but after looking at this article I begged off and will wait a while to see where it goes.

I had never seen compiled data like that on growth stalls - very compelling and well worth the read.

I bought into KMP and GOOGL, expecting the latter to be L-T hold. Considering the FEYE play, too. Their financials certainly look like they're ramping up.
Curious what's your thinking on GOOGL over GOOG if you see significant difference and do you not see long term potential with KMP?
As I previously stated, I realize my voting rights are inconsequential but would rather have them than not.
Pretty much this.

I see long-term potential with KMP, but when I say L-T hold, what I really mean is that I'll likely tolerate more volatility in GOOGL than it. I have confidence in GOOGL long-term, so I'll give it more downside without selling and may hold past the point at which I'd sell a similar return on KMP. Though maybe not. I bought DDD expecting to hold it for a while, and I ended up flipping it very quickly. Stuff happens. There are expectations and then there is reality. Set the one and react to the other.
So, I'm pretty much at this point. I'm considering that quick an 18% on KMP a pretty good return. This thing going to park over $100 with the consolidation news? Seems like more accounting than any true significant value being added. What am I missing that might say to hold onto this?
I hold a bunch of KMP - sitting on a double now with that pop (+ dividends, which are great here). I don't think you're missing out on much if you want a quick profit. With the dividend and the dividend growth going forward (10% a year for a while) I don't see any reason to divest.

Only downside to all this is that the consolidation will be a significant tax event and will likely eat heavily into that 18%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bought YUM yesterday - first acquisition in a while. Good prospects. Looked hard at MCD, but after looking at this article I begged off and will wait a while to see where it goes.

I had never seen compiled data like that on growth stalls - very compelling and well worth the read.
Great article, thanks for posting.

Pretty much this.

I hold a bunch of KMP - sitting on a double now with that pop (+ dividends, which are great here). I don't think you're missing out on much if you want a quick profit. With the dividend and the dividend growth going forward (10% a year for a while) I don't see any reason to divest.

Only downside to all this is that the consolidation will be a significant tax event and will likely eat heavily into that 18%.
That was a nice surprise the other day......I plan to hold mainly for dividend income and dont need the funds right now.

From online gaming, invisibility and uranium, I take you fellas to the world of ######l suppositories, courtesy of another Canadian small fry called BioSyent. It's one I own personally and it's a large holding of our funds. Terrific management with a high caliber CEO who makes himself accessible to us - something we look for in management as we tend to specialize in smaller companies that have room for growth. Currently not covered on the street and very under the radar, this is a company with a history of under promising and over delivering. Obviously, the stock has had a great run in the last year so if you are buying now you're buying at the top. Might be one to put on your watch list and add on dips.
Still laughing at the language filter here. What are we, 7? Come on....

Anyhow, this thinly traded Canadian pusher of VULVA (can we say vulva here?) suppositories and FeraMax (treats iron deficiency) is going to announce Q2 earnings next week, most likely on Thursday. Now, I don't know much about anything in life, but I know to trust my boss when I see him excited upon hanging up the phone with a CEO, which is what he was after talking to the CEO of Biosyent. His words: "This guy cannot WAIT to release his numbers".

Volume is miniscule, float is tiny, CEO is the largest shareholder. Guy loves to under promise and over deliver. I have a hunch that he is going to blow away the expectations. I've added a little bit personally and it continues to be a decent sized name in our portfolios.

As always, buyer beware, remember my lengthy list of stupidity here and do your own homework.

I'd start with Liar's Poker just to establish that as an individual investor you are an underdog, outmanned and outmatched.

Then start with A Random Walk Down Wall Street, The Intelligent Investor and Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits to establish a classical foundation.
Re the underlined.....

One of the great edicts of investing is that you should invest in what you know. Now I'm not saying Eminance's theories of investing are worth following or even reading, but if you see a retail outlet that's always packed, well, just saying it's probably worth a peek into. When I drive down the road I see boarded up k-marts and sears and saw huge declines from the 70's and 80's when I was growing up in those stores. I see Walmarts and Targets are almost always busy. Just saying.

as far as books go, a lot to be determined by your level of knowledge of finance, as well as what interests you. You very well may fall asleep while reading The Intelligent Investor. A Random Walk down Wall Street may be a more interesting read. Who knows. What I will tell you is that there is no book out there (at least that I am aware of at present) that will give you all the best answers to what to invest in, when, what exactly to look for in a stock, etc....

These books (some written over 50 years ago) contain anecdotes and ideas that still ring true today though.

If you're looking to invest, you should probably put the bulk of your money in an index or mutual fund and do some due diligence about what sectors you want to be in, and compare costs on each. If you are looking for individual stocks however, you may be better served reading more current publications.....or looking at what stores you pass by every day seem to be doing well. ;)

Oops!

NDLS - 19.99 -5.22(20.71%)
What's the story here? Stock market goes up greatly in the last year and this stock drops ~50% with it still dropping. Any clues, indications? Curious. I've only eaten at the place once. It was alright.
I think it's because teenagers cook the pasta. Some people seem to think that's a good thing though, low overhead and all.

Oops!

What's the story here? Stock market goes up greatly in the last year and this stock drops ~50% with it still dropping. Any clues, indications? Curious. I've only eaten at the place once. It was alright.
I think it's because teenagers cook the pasta. Some people seem to think that's a good thing though, low overhead and all.
Oh, its one of those, "it was high, now its low, therefore its a buy because it might go higher" kind of stocks. I get it.

Oops!

Oh, its one of those, "it was high, now its low, therefore its a buy because it might go higher" kind of stocks. I get it.
link

Oops!

link
We need an update on His stock picks and where we would be if we had invested into his fund.

WWE = $13.87... WINNER!!!!!

From online gaming, invisibility and uranium, I take you fellas to the world of ######l suppositories, courtesy of another Canadian small fry called BioSyent. It's one I own personally and it's a large holding of our funds. Terrific management with a high caliber CEO who makes himself accessible to us - something we look for in management as we tend to specialize in smaller companies that have room for growth. Currently not covered on the street and very under the radar, this is a company with a history of under promising and over delivering. Obviously, the stock has had a great run in the last year so if you are buying now you're buying at the top. Might be one to put on your watch list and add on dips.
Still laughing at the language filter here. What are we, 7? Come on....

Anyhow, this thinly traded Canadian pusher of VULVA (can we say vulva here?) suppositories and FeraMax (treats iron deficiency) is going to announce Q2 earnings next week, most likely on Thursday. Now, I don't know much about anything in life, but I know to trust my boss when I see him excited upon hanging up the phone with a CEO, which is what he was after talking to the CEO of Biosyent. His words: "This guy cannot WAIT to release his numbers".

Volume is miniscule, float is tiny, CEO is the largest shareholder. Guy loves to under promise and over deliver. I have a hunch that he is going to blow away the expectations. I've added a little bit personally and it continues to be a decent sized name in our portfolios.

As always, buyer beware, remember my lengthy list of stupidity here and do your own homework.
that's a pretty good one year run. These kind of stocks are off limits for me (healthcare, not Canadian).

Anybody done any technical analysis on COST? Approaching their all time high and I don't expect a pull back. I think they might actually pop a bit when they test it. I also like their 1 yr outlook. Lots of expansion coming.

Also, on SWFT, although the current price looks promising, I'm now thinking that I'd probably hold off until after Q3 and buy after earnings for the Q4 rocket ship.

On a roll. Bought a chunk of CBI today. Over the last couple months its has seen a big price drop due largely to some bad press which has been debunked (from what I've seen).

Most importantly Buffett, who has carried a position, dramatically increased it in Q2 at about the same price level I bought at today. I admit it, I'm a follower.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread