What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (17 Viewers)

Eeesh. I just had a nice long look at every metal stock I follow and they all look like dog poo.GLD, SLV, CEF, EXK and SSRI

'BeTheMatch said:
Huh. DDD climbing over 4% today.
Siff has a pretty great track record. If he's wrong, he's wrong. I don't think so though, the guy is good. I'm just a sucker that likes to gamble some and try to play trends. Stacking most of my dough in IGR though. Need to look into DRIPping it but have been too busy. I'm still buying though so figure it isn't that big a deal because I plan on eventually completely cleaning the cash out of my account.
Eeesh. I just had a nice long look at every metal stock I follow and they all look like dog poo.GLD, SLV, CEF, EXK and SSRI
Silver has been getting crushed lately. I hope it goes down a little farther so I can buy some more of the hard stuff.

Been a while since I chimed in, but here is how I see things right now. (Please keep in mind I can be wrong. I've been wrong plenty of times. More than I'd like to remember.)It looks to me like something big is about to happen. I don't know if that is a nice move up or a big move down. But I feel like something is about to happen b/c the three major indices are not in line with each other. The way I see it:- DJIA is in a bull right now. 14,000 was tested repeatedly in Feb. Over it, under it, over it, under it, etc. Yet last Wed (Feb 20) it went to a new high for the month & year, before coming in. 3 days later on Mon (Feb 25) it broke to a newer high. Then yesterday even higher; and today slightly higher than that [14,104.99]. The last time the market was this high was Oct 15, 2007. So is that good or bad? I don't know. Maybe it means the market is going straight up since it is finally at this high a level again. Afterall, repeatedly making higher highs tends to be a good thing. Or maybe it means it will go down since the last time we were this high (Oct, '07) the market took a huge nose dive. But by most technical indicators, it appears the DJIA is bullish.- S&P appears confused to me. It also hit a new high for the month & year last Tues (19th) an Wed (20th) [same exact high both days]. But unlike the DJIA it did not break a new high a few days later or again after that. It still looks pretty bullish (heck it is over 1500). But the technicals on this are sending mixed messages. For instance, when I plug $spx into my charts - it appears just slightly bearish (only by very little). But when I plug spy into my charts - it appears just slightly bullish. They should be the same. The $spx IS the S&P 500. And the spy is an etf that is supposed to correspond directly to it. So it is rare that they aren't showing similar trends. The fact that they are not showing the exact same thing has me a little skeptical.- Nasdaq is what confuses this picture the most. It absolutely appears bearish. And yes, that's to both the $compq and the qqq. Just like the DJIA and S&P, it hit a new high for the month & year in the middle of last week as well (hit it on Tue, 19th; and extremely close to that again on Wed, 20th). However, this is not like the DJIA & the S&P where it has not been that high since Oct '07. Nope. This is the highest it has ever been. Not in the last 4 yrs, not in the last 6 yrs, but highest ever. (Okay well a lot of that is bc APPL was never this high in '07.) So new all-time highs would mean it is bullish, right? Nope. While the DJIA broke higher after middle of last week this past Mon; and then even higher yesterday - the Nasdaq has not been doing this. In fact, by many technicals (definitely not all), it appears to be ready to start a bear run.Again these are just my thoughts. And yes, my thoughts are all over the place here. But that's because as I see it, the DJIA is slightly bullish; the S&P is confused as to whether it wants to be a bull or a bear; and the Nasdaq is bearish.When the three major indices are conflicted, it makes me think something is about to happen. So be ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
'siffoin said:
'BeTheMatch said:
Each trend is unique. However a very common pattern at the beginning of a major trend is a reaction in the opposite direction of that new trend. If the trend turns bullish, then it is quite common for a reaction down...but the trading pattern you'll see is higher lows to higher highs. Just the opposite in a bear trend where you see lower lows to lower highs. Go back to pretty much any major trend on pretty much any stock or index and you can see this pattern play out. In bear markets it's part of the game...where the bigger players can pass along their shares to you...commonly referred to as the bag holder. If we look at the split adjusted price of DDD- It topped at $48. Dropped to $36. Ran up to $45.60. Dropped to $30. Ran up to $37(?). Do you see a pattern here- lower highs and lower lows? That's just the common pattern. The main thing is my stuff has flipped bearish. It's an ideal trend- meaning all of the indicators are setup in ideal locations for a major move. If the chart were inverted we'd want to be heavily long.As a trend trader/investor my job is to align myself and my positions to the trend. I'm not so worried about the day to day oscillation in price as I am being on the correct side of the trend.Now the great thing about the market is that different people have differing opinions. That's what makes it a market. It is possible I can be wrong. Sometimes a great poker hand can get beat. But the nature of the bearish technical alignment of DDD, and I feel pretty confident that it will suffer serious decline from here over the next days, weeks, months. How low? How long will the bear trend last? I don't know as each trend is unique and has it's own fingerprint. If DDD were a bearish poker hand...I'd say I'm holding a full house.
Are you short the stock?

'siffoin said:
'BeTheMatch said:
Each trend is unique. However a very common pattern at the beginning of a major trend is a reaction in the opposite direction of that new trend. If the trend turns bullish, then it is quite common for a reaction down...but the trading pattern you'll see is higher lows to higher highs. Just the opposite in a bear trend where you see lower lows to lower highs. Go back to pretty much any major trend on pretty much any stock or index and you can see this pattern play out. In bear markets it's part of the game...where the bigger players can pass along their shares to you...commonly referred to as the bag holder. If we look at the split adjusted price of DDD- It topped at $48. Dropped to $36. Ran up to $45.60. Dropped to $30. Ran up to $37(?). Do you see a pattern here- lower highs and lower lows? That's just the common pattern. The main thing is my stuff has flipped bearish. It's an ideal trend- meaning all of the indicators are setup in ideal locations for a major move. If the chart were inverted we'd want to be heavily long.As a trend trader/investor my job is to align myself and my positions to the trend. I'm not so worried about the day to day oscillation in price as I am being on the correct side of the trend.Now the great thing about the market is that different people have differing opinions. That's what makes it a market. It is possible I can be wrong. Sometimes a great poker hand can get beat. But the nature of the bearish technical alignment of DDD, and I feel pretty confident that it will suffer serious decline from here over the next days, weeks, months. How low? How long will the bear trend last? I don't know as each trend is unique and has it's own fingerprint. If DDD were a bearish poker hand...I'd say I'm holding a full house.
Are you short the stock?
My guess is no. However I put a short order in today on a whim but doubt it fills.

'siffoin said:
'BeTheMatch said:
Are you short the stock?
My guess is no. However I put a short order in today on a whim but doubt it fills.
Why wouldn't Siff be though if he believes it's going down a lot? If he has a "full house" i don't get not betting on it.

'siffoin said:
'BeTheMatch said:
Are you short the stock?
Why wouldn't Siff be though if he believes it's going down a lot? If he has a "full house" i don't get not betting on it.
Pretty rare for me to short stocks outright. I do use futs as shorts. Sometimes options. But an outright short? That's just not what I do. Especially when the PI is still bullish. Especially on a company I want to own. I want DDD in my fund; my wife's IRA; my kids trust. Make this clear...DDD is a company I will own in the future. Just not now because I think I can get it cheaper in the future. It's possible I could be wrong and will be forced to buy it at a higher price than it is right now, but I don't think that will happen. DDD is a "what I want to own" I'm just waiting for the technicals to tell me "when to own it". I'm not a bottom picker. I'm not a top seller. I'm a disciple of trend. I leave the market timing to others.It's a lot easier to make sound financial decisions when the positions you own start from a profit too. When they start from a loss...those decisions become emotional real quick. To avoid getting in an emotional position- I play the odds to the side of the trend.Again. I'm just one person with one view point. I will post a chart of DDD tomorrow on the blog to show the perspective I have. But someone with a differing viewpoint or time frame is free to take the opposite opinion from mine. I'd love to examine that chart.

'siffoin said:
'moderated said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'moderated said:
'siffoin said:
'BeTheMatch said:
Are you short the stock?
Pretty rare for me to short stocks outright. I do use futs as shorts. Sometimes options. But an outright short? That's just not what I do. Especially when the PI is still bullish. Especially on a company I want to own. I want DDD in my fund; my wife's IRA; my kids trust. Make this clear...DDD is a company I will own in the future. Just not now because I think I can get it cheaper in the future. It's possible I could be wrong and will be forced to buy it at a higher price than it is right now, but I don't think that will happen. DDD is a "what I want to own" I'm just waiting for the technicals to tell me "when to own it". I'm not a bottom picker. I'm not a top seller. I'm a disciple of trend. I leave the market timing to others.It's a lot easier to make sound financial decisions when the positions you own start from a profit too. When they start from a loss...those decisions become emotional real quick. To avoid getting in an emotional position- I play the odds to the side of the trend.Again. I'm just one person with one view point. I will post a chart of DDD tomorrow on the blog to show the perspective I have. But someone with a differing viewpoint or time frame is free to take the opposite opinion from mine. I'd love to examine that chart.
I understand your long term view is good on the company, but you seem to be very confident it's going a lot lower in the short term. "I feel pretty confident that it will suffer serious decline from here over the next days, weeks, months."I'm just not understanding why you wouldn't put money behind those thoughts if you're so confident in them. Seems you should at least be buying puts.

'siffoin said:
'moderated said:
'St. Louis Bob said:
'moderated said:
'siffoin said:
'BeTheMatch said:
Each trend is unique. However a very common pattern at the beginning of a major trend is a reaction in the opposite direction of that new trend. If the trend turns bullish, then it is quite common for a reaction down...but the trading pattern you'll see is higher lows to higher highs. Just the opposite in a bear trend where you see lower lows to lower highs. Go back to pretty much any major trend on pretty much any stock or index and you can see this pattern play out. In bear markets it's part of the game...where the bigger players can pass along their shares to you...commonly referred to as the bag holder. If we look at the split adjusted price of DDD- It topped at $48. Dropped to $36. Ran up to $45.60. Dropped to $30. Ran up to $37(?). Do you see a pattern here- lower highs and lower lows? That's just the common pattern. The main thing is my stuff has flipped bearish. It's an ideal trend- meaning all of the indicators are setup in ideal locations for a major move. If the chart were inverted we'd want to be heavily long.

As a trend trader/investor my job is to align myself and my positions to the trend. I'm not so worried about the day to day oscillation in price as I am being on the correct side of the trend.

Now the great thing about the market is that different people have differing opinions. That's what makes it a market. It is possible I can be wrong. Sometimes a great poker hand can get beat. But the nature of the bearish technical alignment of DDD, and I feel pretty confident that it will suffer serious decline from here over the next days, weeks, months. How low? How long will the bear trend last? I don't know as each trend is unique and has it's own fingerprint. If DDD were a bearish poker hand...I'd say I'm holding a full house.
Are you short the stock?
Pretty rare for me to short stocks outright. I do use futs as shorts. Sometimes options. But an outright short? That's just not what I do. Especially when the PI is still bullish. Especially on a company I want to own. I want DDD in my fund; my wife's IRA; my kids trust. Make this clear...DDD is a company I will own in the future. Just not now because I think I can get it cheaper in the future. It's possible I could be wrong and will be forced to buy it at a higher price than it is right now, but I don't think that will happen. DDD is a "what I want to own" I'm just waiting for the technicals to tell me "when to own it". I'm not a bottom picker. I'm not a top seller. I'm a disciple of trend. I leave the market timing to others.It's a lot easier to make sound financial decisions when the positions you own start from a profit too. When they start from a loss...those decisions become emotional real quick. To avoid getting in an emotional position- I play the odds to the side of the trend.

Again. I'm just one person with one view point. I will post a chart of DDD tomorrow on the blog to show the perspective I have. But someone with a differing viewpoint or time frame is free to take the opposite opinion from mine. I'd love to examine that chart.
You have something that indicates DDD is still bullish?

SSYS reports earning 3/3 and I'm considering shorting DDD. If their earnings are great, DDD should go down. If they miss, I think DDD goes down the way SSYS did when DDD missed.

Awesome farewell note from the Groupon CEO:‎"After four and a half intense and wonderful years as CEO of Groupon, I've decided that I'd like to spend more time with my family. Just kidding - I was fired today. If you're wondering why... you haven't been paying attention."

Awesome farewell note from the Groupon CEO:‎"After four and a half intense and wonderful years as CEO of Groupon, I've decided that I'd like to spend more time with my family. Just kidding - I was fired today. If you're wondering why... you haven't been paying attention."
:lmao: :lmao:

As a startup guy, I feel bad for him. He made a lot of the people that fired him a lot of money by lying about their numbers and orchestrating early cash outs.

As a startup guy, I feel bad for him. He made a lot of the people that fired him a lot of money by lying about their numbers and orchestrating early cash outs.
the guy is young and rich and probably got a sweet severance package.i doubt he has to work another day in his life.why would you feel sorry for someone like that?I'm envious.

the guy is young and rich and probably got a sweet severance package.i doubt he has to work another day in his life.why would you feel sorry for someone like that?I'm envious.
this
Yep...building a glorified coupon site, getting it valued at a ridiculous valuation and going public near the height of the craze is pretty awesome ....the only thing I'd feel bad about is not taking the $6bn GOOG buyout offer and calling it a day.

Awesome farewell note from the Groupon CEO:‎

"After four and a half intense and wonderful years as CEO of Groupon, I've decided that I'd like to spend more time with my family. Just kidding - I was fired today. If you're wondering why... you haven't been paying attention."
This is freaking awesome!
Before we started our business, I was fired. Worked for a company that was just bought for a second time. They were a terrible company in that they had bad business practices. Oh somebody didn't use a credit for 30 days? Just delete it. #### that, people hire me to make sure #### like that DOESN'T happen.I still can't believe I was so naive. To be fair, the people targeted I've known since I was a kid. By a kid I mean 3. We were openly recruiting the other sales people about coming to work for us and somebody squealed. Still don't know who it is and until now, haven't even thought about it since. Anyhow, the President and human resources guy call me into the conference room. My Dad had hired the HR guy and the President got the job because my Dad retired a year earlier. He was part of an acquisition several years earlier, he's lucky he had a job. Slaker but very charming. You know the type. I figured they wanted some advice on how to handle something, this was somewhat common. Then the President says "we heard you are starting a business and don't feel comfortable with you working here any more." I was ####### FLOORED. I'm extremely competitive, if you haven't notice, and had twice the sales and margin of the #2 sales person. I thought I would at least be able to hang on for a couple more weeks and resign. They messed up big time, firing me was the biggest favor they could do. I shook their hands and smiled, said thank you, and exited the conference room. This company has about 220 people working there at the time and I knew them all. I've worked beside them whether it was in the warehouse (for a long freaking hot time) or any given department. The women were crying, the men had their faces on the floor. I had/have all of their loyalty, and they took care of me. Made sure I didn't get ####ed out of commissions etc. I took 99% of my clients with me, my other partners did the same. We have had some great years and some alright years. Lots of extreme stress owning your own place but lots of freedom. I'll take the freedom all day. For the last 22 years I've never had to be anywhere at any time to start or stop work. That's invaluable there. The company that bought us ended up going bankrupt.

It will be 12 years for us this July, thing look a little rocky up ahead but I'll keep working hard and figure something out. *sigh* I always do. Frankly, as I posted in the GMTAN, I'm feeling tired lately. Playing at the top of your game, (I know many of yours are better) really can wear on you. Not that I'm always on top of my game but most of the time I am. Pretty much my whole life I've had to try really hard to be slightly above average.

I'm rambling.... :banned:

Awesome farewell note from the Groupon CEO:‎

"After four and a half intense and wonderful years as CEO of Groupon, I've decided that I'd like to spend more time with my family. Just kidding - I was fired today. If you're wondering why... you haven't been paying attention."
This is freaking awesome!
Before we started our business, I was fired. Worked for a company that was just bought for a second time. They were a terrible company in that they had bad business practices. Oh somebody didn't use a credit for 30 days? Just delete it. #### that, people hire me to make sure #### like that DOESN'T happen.I still can't believe I was so naive. To be fair, the people targeted I've known since I was a kid. By a kid I mean 3. We were openly recruiting the other sales people about coming to work for us and somebody squealed. Still don't know who it is and until now, haven't even thought about it since. Anyhow, the President and human resources guy call me into the conference room. My Dad had hired the HR guy and the President got the job because my Dad retired a year earlier. He was part of an acquisition several years earlier, he's lucky he had a job. Slaker but very charming. You know the type. I figured they wanted some advice on how to handle something, this was somewhat common. Then the President says "we heard you are starting a business and don't feel comfortable with you working here any more." I was ####### FLOORED. I'm extremely competitive, if you haven't notice, and had twice the sales and margin of the #2 sales person. I thought I would at least be able to hang on for a couple more weeks and resign. They messed up big time, firing me was the biggest favor they could do. I shook their hands and smiled, said thank you, and exited the conference room. This company has about 220 people working there at the time and I knew them all. I've worked beside them whether it was in the warehouse (for a long freaking hot time) or any given department. The women were crying, the men had their faces on the floor. I had/have all of their loyalty, and they took care of me. Made sure I didn't get ####ed out of commissions etc. I took 99% of my clients with me, my other partners did the same. We have had some great years and some alright years. Lots of extreme stress owning your own place but lots of freedom. I'll take the freedom all day. For the last 22 years I've never had to be anywhere at any time to start or stop work. That's invaluable there. The company that bought us ended up going bankrupt.

It will be 12 years for us this July, thing look a little rocky up ahead but I'll keep working hard and figure something out. *sigh* I always do. Frankly, as I posted in the GMTAN, I'm feeling tired lately. Playing at the top of your game, (I know many of yours are better) really can wear on you. Not that I'm always on top of my game but most of the time I am. Pretty much my whole life I've had to try really hard to be slightly above average.

I'm rambling.... :banned:
Always been a big fan, GL :thumbup:

Always been a big fan, GL :thumbup:
Thanks my brother. :thumbup:ETAI ended up getting a month off of work between then and starting the new company. That was, and still is, the longest I've had off since I was 11. I was working two weeks after breaking my neck and the first week was vacation. My Dad was pretty tough on working for what you want and I appreciate it. My boys are getting the warm up now, they will understand what suck jobs are.

Will some of you guys that do this for more than a hobby critique this fund: wavix.....buddy of mine just started this with partners last years...he has made me a consistent 12-15% return over the last 10 years trading a model he developed. However, this fund has a completely different holding strategy so not sure it works for my risk profile. His philosophy is for this endeavor is that everyone needs access to these markets. Will hang upand listen.

Been a while since I chimed in, but here is how I see things right now. (Please keep in mind I can be wrong. I've been wrong plenty of times. More than I'd like to remember.)It looks to me like something big is about to happen. I don't know if that is a nice move up or a big move down. But I feel like something is about to happen b/c the three major indices are not in line with each other. The way I see it:- DJIA is in a bull right now. 14,000 was tested repeatedly in Feb. Over it, under it, over it, under it, etc. Yet last Wed (Feb 20) it went to a new high for the month & year, before coming in. 3 days later on Mon (Feb 25) it broke to a newer high. Then yesterday even higher; and today slightly higher than that [14,104.99]. The last time the market was this high was Oct 15, 2007. So is that good or bad? I don't know. Maybe it means the market is going straight up since it is finally at this high a level again. Afterall, repeatedly making higher highs tends to be a good thing. Or maybe it means it will go down since the last time we were this high (Oct, '07) the market took a huge nose dive. But by most technical indicators, it appears the DJIA is bullish.- S&P appears confused to me. It also hit a new high for the month & year last Tues (19th) an Wed (20th) [same exact high both days]. But unlike the DJIA it did not break a new high a few days later or again after that. It still looks pretty bullish (heck it is over 1500). But the technicals on this are sending mixed messages. For instance, when I plug $spx into my charts - it appears just slightly bearish (only by very little). But when I plug spy into my charts - it appears just slightly bullish. They should be the same. The $spx IS the S&P 500. And the spy is an etf that is supposed to correspond directly to it. So it is rare that they aren't showing similar trends. The fact that they are not showing the exact same thing has me a little skeptical.- Nasdaq is what confuses this picture the most. It absolutely appears bearish. And yes, that's to both the $compq and the qqq. Just like the DJIA and S&P, it hit a new high for the month & year in the middle of last week as well (hit it on Tue, 19th; and extremely close to that again on Wed, 20th). However, this is not like the DJIA & the S&P where it has not been that high since Oct '07. Nope. This is the highest it has ever been. Not in the last 4 yrs, not in the last 6 yrs, but highest ever. (Okay well a lot of that is bc APPL was never this high in '07.) So new all-time highs would mean it is bullish, right? Nope. While the DJIA broke higher after middle of last week this past Mon; and then even higher yesterday - the Nasdaq has not been doing this. In fact, by many technicals (definitely not all), it appears to be ready to start a bear run.Again these are just my thoughts. And yes, my thoughts are all over the place here. But that's because as I see it, the DJIA is slightly bullish; the S&P is confused as to whether it wants to be a bull or a bear; and the Nasdaq is bearish.When the three major indices are conflicted, it makes me think something is about to happen. So be ready.
Update (not that anyone responded or seemed to care):I still see things as explained above. In my "system" - wherein a positive # represents long/bullish and a negative # represents short/bearish - I still see the major indices as showing totally different scenarios.DJIA +8S&P +1 (This is as mixed as you get. It's positive, but barely.)Nasdaq -7

Update (not that anyone responded or seemed to care):I still see things as explained above. In my "system" - wherein a positive # represents long/bullish and a negative # represents short/bearish - I still see the major indices as showing totally different scenarios.DJIA +8S&P +1 (This is as mixed as you get. It's positive, but barely.)Nasdaq -7
Not sure I understand completely what you are saying. Maybe Bullish. Maybe Bearish?orWile E. Coyote has run over the cliff, but his feet are still churning?

I still see things as explained above. In my "system" - wherein a positive # represents long/bullish and a negative # represents short/bearish - I still see the major indices as showing totally different scenarios.DJIA +8S&P +1 (This is as mixed as you get. It's positive, but barely.)Nasdaq -7
Could the prominence of AAPL in the Naz contribute the lag? Close to a 52 wk. low, if not there.(closed around 430)

Not sure I understand completely what you are saying. Maybe Bullish. Maybe Bearish?orWile E. Coyote has run over the cliff, but his feet are still churning?
Just saying that I think the markets are confused - if that makes sense. On the one hand there are reasons to believe we are going up (ie, DJIA chart is very bullish, hitting/nearing all time highs, etc). On the other hand, there are reasons to believe we could see a big run down very soon (ie, Nasdaq chart looks bearish).Yes (to the next poster), AAPL is a significant component of the Nasdaq. And yes, AAPL has been coming in a lot. So yes, that affects the Nasdaq. But that in and of itself is curious. The best stock - the bull of all bulls over the last 4 years - is coming in. 4 years ago - literally March '09 - you could have bought AAPL for under $100. It went on a ridiculous run after that hitting over 700. That was only 6 months ago. And it is in almost 40% since then?!So yes, I hear the other poster asking about AAPL. And I know that is a big part of the Nasdaq. But if the DJIA & the S&P500 are hitting/nearing/breaking all time highs, why is the mother load of all stocks (AAPL) in over 38% from its high? (Just thinking out loud.)Anyway, to bring this full circle, answer these Qs for me (very curiously what you have to say about it):Do you not agree? Does the DJIA not appear bullish right now, while the Nasdaq appears bearish?Better yet, if I owned the DIAs, would you suggest: add, sell, or hold?Ditto that on the SPYs, would you suggest add/buy, sell/short, or hold?Same set of Qs on the QQQs, would you suggest buying (if I did not have already), adding (if I already had), holding steady, selling, shorting?Curious. Later bud.

SSYS reports earning 3/3 and I'm considering shorting DDD. If their earnings are great, DDD should go down. If they miss, I think DDD goes down the way SSYS did when DDD missed.
Earnings call is starting in a few minutes. Looks like a good report.http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/8/136008.html

Earnings call is starting in a few minutes. Looks like a good report.http://biz.yahoo.com/cc/8/136008.html
Tech analysis on SSYS is more bearish than DDD. Below $68, and it is un-good. And these are companies I want to own...meaning I have nothing to gain by having a present negative opinion.

Tech analysis on SSYS is more bearish than DDD. Below $68, and it is un-good. And these are companies I want to own...meaning I have nothing to gain by having a present negative opinion.
I think you do a good job of being objective regardless of intentions/holdings. :)My sense from the call is that analysts will be conservative until they have a better sense of how the combined company and how to model it.

I think you do a good job of being objective regardless of intentions/holdings. :)My sense from the call is that analysts will be conservative until they have a better sense of how the combined company and how to model it.
I'm good at trend identification. Not tops/bottoms. But on bear trends I have a decent record of identifying "ideal" turning points (ie potential bottoms). Here's my take fwiw:Biggest concern is SSYS is much weaker than the overall market, whose momentum is waning by the day. Weak stocks when the market is bullish get hit harder when the market turns bearish. I always want to own the strongest stocks in a bull market--and run away from stocks who turn bearish when the overall market is bullish. Assuming the market continues its bull run an ideal bottom for SSYS would be in the mid-$40's. $45ish. Why there? It represents the .618 Fibonacci retracement level off the Bull run from Oct 2011-Jan 2013. Amazingly...it also represents the gap point from 4/16/2012. It really doesn't get any better than this for identifying a major bottom target in a bear trend.If the market were to turn bearish for a prolonged period - ie more than a few weeks. Don't be surprised to see SSYS trade somewhere in the $20s- a result of panic selling over a number of weeks a there is no real support after the $45 level is breached.Trends do fail. Where would I consider my opinion wrong? At this time- somewhere N. of $75...closer to $80. In addition, from here it would take a number of weeks for the ToG to turn positive- confirming that new trend. Meaning it is possible for SSYS to trade up towards $75+, but whipsaw back down right after that high and resume the bear trend. I need to ToG to confirm to initiate a bull trend signal...and that will take days and days. Best case would be for SSYS to base here...making ever so slightly higher lows and higher highs over the next few weeks allowing the ToG and all other indicators to resolve. Just my point of view but I think the odds of that happening are less than 25% (but it does and can happen).My focus is always on buying early in a bull trend and closing early in the bear trend (in the case of SSYS current bear trend that would have been around the $85 level).LT- I think SSYS will be higher than it is right here. ST odds favor you experiencing some pain...potentially significant pain. Hopefully you can stick to your plan- which obviously would be different from mine- and that's perfectly fine too. Good luck.Chart

LT- I think SSYS will be higher than it is right here. ST odds favor you experiencing some pain...potentially significant pain. Hopefully you can stick to your plan- which obviously would be different from mine- and that's perfectly fine too. Good luck.
I agree and I sold. I have not done well with the bubbly or fad stocks (Nanotech, rare earths, etc,) and I need to remember that and stick closer to my value bent and comfort zone. I did add on Thursday in anticipation of earnings, so while I took a loss, that helped considerably. I imagine the morning spike was short covering, but if it continues up, I am okay with it. The fact that it retreated so far from high already did influence my decision to sell in addition to what I heard on the call. But I may look at it again when it is more of a value. I really believe the business has a solid future. SSYS has a video on their site about a little girl with a birth defect who has "magic arms". When she needs more parts her mom calls the doctor and they make them on the SSYS printer. Some cool stuff.ETA- Thx for chart!

I havent posted in quite a while. Havent had a strong feeling about a stock in a long time.For those of you who know Im in the insurance industry and all-in in MIG.Very good value.
Did you dump GNW?
I'd love to get a Siff chart on this one. Technically GNW looks like a good chart.
There you go.GNW Chart
Thanks alot for this.
Ok this will be my last post for a while. GNW right at this very second is trading at $8.99. THIS would be the ideal place and moment to sell it- off the trend from December when it was at $5.80ish. Don't think there is much more upside, and risk is high for significant downside from here. Good luck and good job of those who traded it from that bottom.

Been a while since I chimed in, but here is how I see things right now. (Please keep in mind I can be wrong. I've been wrong plenty of times. More than I'd like to remember.)

It looks to me like something big is about to happen. I don't know if that is a nice move up or a big move down. But I feel like something is about to happen b/c the three major indices are not in line with each other. The way I see it:

- DJIA is in a bull right now. 14,000 was tested repeatedly in Feb. Over it, under it, over it, under it, etc. Yet last Wed (Feb 20) it went to a new high for the month & year, before coming in. 3 days later on Mon (Feb 25) it broke to a newer high. Then yesterday even higher; and today slightly higher than that [14,104.99]. The last time the market was this high was Oct 15, 2007. So is that good or bad? I don't know. Maybe it means the market is going straight up since it is finally at this high a level again. Afterall, repeatedly making higher highs tends to be a good thing. Or maybe it means it will go down since the last time we were this high (Oct, '07) the market took a huge nose dive. But by most technical indicators, it appears the DJIA is bullish.

- S&P appears confused to me. It also hit a new high for the month & year last Tues (19th) an Wed (20th) [same exact high both days]. But unlike the DJIA it did not break a new high a few days later or again after that. It still looks pretty bullish (heck it is over 1500). But the technicals on this are sending mixed messages. For instance, when I plug $spx into my charts - it appears just slightly bearish (only by very little). But when I plug spy into my charts - it appears just slightly bullish. They should be the same. The $spx IS the S&P 500. And the spy is an etf that is supposed to correspond directly to it. So it is rare that they aren't showing similar trends. The fact that they are not showing the exact same thing has me a little skeptical.

- Nasdaq is what confuses this picture the most. It absolutely appears bearish. And yes, that's to both the $compq and the qqq. Just like the DJIA and S&P, it hit a new high for the month & year in the middle of last week as well (hit it on Tue, 19th; and extremely close to that again on Wed, 20th). However, this is not like the DJIA & the S&P where it has not been that high since Oct '07. Nope. This is the highest it has ever been. Not in the last 4 yrs, not in the last 6 yrs, but highest ever. (Okay well a lot of that is bc APPL was never this high in '07.) So new all-time highs would mean it is bullish, right? Nope. While the DJIA broke higher after middle of last week this past Mon; and then even higher yesterday - the Nasdaq has not been doing this. In fact, by many technicals (definitely not all), it appears to be ready to start a bear run.

Again these are just my thoughts. And yes, my thoughts are all over the place here. But that's because as I see it, the DJIA is slightly bullish; the S&P is confused as to whether it wants to be a bull or a bear; and the Nasdaq is bearish.

When the three major indices are conflicted, it makes me think something is about to happen. So be ready.
huh? I remember a time not to long ago when the Nasdaq was almost 2,000 points higher.

Been a while since I chimed in, but here is how I see things right now. (Please keep in mind I can be wrong. I've been wrong plenty of times. More than I'd like to remember.)

It looks to me like something big is about to happen. I don't know if that is a nice move up or a big move down. But I feel like something is about to happen b/c the three major indices are not in line with each other. The way I see it:

- DJIA is in a bull right now. 14,000 was tested repeatedly in Feb. Over it, under it, over it, under it, etc. Yet last Wed (Feb 20) it went to a new high for the month & year, before coming in. 3 days later on Mon (Feb 25) it broke to a newer high. Then yesterday even higher; and today slightly higher than that [14,104.99]. The last time the market was this high was Oct 15, 2007. So is that good or bad? I don't know. Maybe it means the market is going straight up since it is finally at this high a level again. Afterall, repeatedly making higher highs tends to be a good thing. Or maybe it means it will go down since the last time we were this high (Oct, '07) the market took a huge nose dive. But by most technical indicators, it appears the DJIA is bullish.

- S&P appears confused to me. It also hit a new high for the month & year last Tues (19th) an Wed (20th) [same exact high both days]. But unlike the DJIA it did not break a new high a few days later or again after that. It still looks pretty bullish (heck it is over 1500). But the technicals on this are sending mixed messages. For instance, when I plug $spx into my charts - it appears just slightly bearish (only by very little). But when I plug spy into my charts - it appears just slightly bullish. They should be the same. The $spx IS the S&P 500. And the spy is an etf that is supposed to correspond directly to it. So it is rare that they aren't showing similar trends. The fact that they are not showing the exact same thing has me a little skeptical.

- Nasdaq is what confuses this picture the most. It absolutely appears bearish. And yes, that's to both the $compq and the qqq. Just like the DJIA and S&P, it hit a new high for the month & year in the middle of last week as well (hit it on Tue, 19th; and extremely close to that again on Wed, 20th). However, this is not like the DJIA & the S&P where it has not been that high since Oct '07. Nope. This is the highest it has ever been. Not in the last 4 yrs, not in the last 6 yrs, but highest ever. (Okay well a lot of that is bc APPL was never this high in '07.) So new all-time highs would mean it is bullish, right? Nope. While the DJIA broke higher after middle of last week this past Mon; and then even higher yesterday - the Nasdaq has not been doing this. In fact, by many technicals (definitely not all), it appears to be ready to start a bear run.

Again these are just my thoughts. And yes, my thoughts are all over the place here. But that's because as I see it, the DJIA is slightly bullish; the S&P is confused as to whether it wants to be a bull or a bear; and the Nasdaq is bearish.

When the three major indices are conflicted, it makes me think something is about to happen. So be ready.
huh? I remember a time not to long ago when the Nasdaq was almost 2,000 points higher.
Yes, at the turn of the century. It was actually much higher then. I meant since the whole peak of late 2007 and recession/crash of 2008 (into the early part of 09). At the time of the market peak in Oct 07, Nasdaq was not running the same as the DJIA or the S&P. It was high, but not all time highs like those two.So yes, it was higher - but you'd have to go back to over a decade ago (prior to the "lost decade") - back when dotcoms/techs were killing it. The Nasdaq (at the time of the posts above from last week) was at all time highs since that bubble burst. (I guess all I meant to say (and worded it very poorly) was that it was already higher than the 2007 peak, unlike it's bro & sis, the DJIA & S&P500.)

Since these posts from last week, the DJIA is still very bullish. The S&P which was slightly bullish is now clearly bullish. And I have since covered my Nasdaq shorts. Meaning I still hold my DIA long; entered into some SPY long; exited my QQQ short. In retrospect, I should not have just exited it and parked on the sidelines for that one. I should have exited the shorts and immediately gone long it right then and there.

Anyway, I will go back to hibernation as this thread isn't really getting the love, responses, etc that I had hoped it was finally starting to get again.

I think a few of you guys read my blog. An updated post on where we are in this current market trend.

http://steelhedge.com/2013/01/26/january-25-2013-sector-trends-and-charts/
How do you subscribe?
:goodposting:
Found it
Siff,

I subscribed to your site, but I haven't gotten any email updates. Are there emails when there is a new blog post, or just when there is a major tend flip?

I meant since the whole peak of late 2007 and recession/crash of 2008 (into the early part of 09).
However, this is not like the DJIA & the S&P where it has not been that high since Oct '07. Nope. This is the highest it has ever been. Not in the last 4 yrs, not in the last 6 yrs, but highest ever.
lol
It was a mistake - poor wording as I already explained. Thanks though for adding insight.Btw, I've already more than proven some things in these stock threads. Feel free to check back on my live (real-time) plays on EXK last summer. I was constantly buying and selling and reporting it here as it happened. But 99% of the posts in these threads has lacked any real substance. Or when you ask a guy why he feels the way he does about something, sometimes he goes missing if he is wrong.So yeah, I went into detail and explained myself. And in doing so, appear to have contradicted myself. I wasn't running private investment fund back in 2000 (during height of dotcoms, techs, etc - ie, the high of the Nasdaq). And many people in the industry feel like much of the time since the turn of the century was the "lost decade". So no, it was not the highest it has ever been. Obviously. You can find that out on any chart or googling it in a second. I meant: highest in the last decade+ (meaning for over a decade now). But no, not ever.Thanks for pointing out what was already pointed out. Very helpful.

I think a few of you guys read my blog. An updated post on where we are in this current market trend.

How do you subscribe?
Found it
Siff,

I subscribed to your site, but I haven't gotten any email updates. Are there emails when there is a new blog post, or just when there is a major tend flip?
I haven't wanted to send email updates out unless there was a major turn in the market. A "rare" email, I hope will carry more significance. Now I do send out an notification on Twitter when I'm about to make a post on the blog. But I post other stuff in between too. It's at the times of a PI flip when I believe a trend investor needs to do work. The rest of the time you just let the trend work in your favor. Because of that I've gone to updating the blog 2x a month. The first and third Friday...or thereabouts.

The latest post can be found here:

Steelhedge Blog

Now I know we're at all time highs, and the PI is bullish. From the front page here it's all giggles, smirks, I told ya sos and such. What has me a bit on edge is that for all the bullishness the PI is dropping. Take today...the PI should have gone up by at least .04 pts...a large and positive move correlated to the large and positive move in the markets. But that's not what the PI did....the PI dropped today and has everyday since 2/19/13 (a few days it was flat, but get the jist here). So my interest is perked. It's important to remember that the market is bullish...and I expect it will stay that way until it finally isn't. At the same time I'm not convinced they will ring a bell to let you know THE top is in either. So while Maria Bartiromo's panties are soaked, and Cramers booyaing like he's just swallowed a months worth of viagra...I'm (how can I put this), cautiously, pessimistically, BULLISH.

The #1 thing focus of investing for your future is: Preserve your wealth.

Then grow it.

Better to take your profits too early than too late. Take appropriate risk, take the risk at appropriate times, and protect your gains.

When CNBC had a special on last night celebrating the market highs (which i've never seen before... normally all news networks love to tout doom and gloom... bad news sells)

My immediate alarm in my mind was:

This will push the market up another few %, but then i could see some of the big money taking a profit.

I'm highly considering taking about 10-20% off in the next 2 weeks of my 401K money that's in the S&P 500, Russell 2000, and s&p midcap 400 index funds.

Be fearful when others are greedy, be greedy when others are fearful.

I've seen too many positive market reports lately... I feel like it's time to be prudent.

I took 15% off when the dow hit 13K, obviously that wasn't the right move, but I've had a pretty damn good run...

Please berate or comment on this as you see fit

I meant since the whole peak of late 2007 and recession/crash of 2008 (into the early part of 09).
However, this is not like the DJIA & the S&P where it has not been that high since Oct '07. Nope. This is the highest it has ever been. Not in the last 4 yrs, not in the last 6 yrs, but highest ever.
lol
It was a mistake - poor wording as I already explained. Thanks though for adding insight.Btw, I've already more than proven some things in these stock threads. Feel free to check back on my live (real-time) plays on EXK last summer. I was constantly buying and selling and reporting it here as it happened. But 99% of the posts in these threads has lacked any real substance. Or when you ask a guy why he feels the way he does about something, sometimes he goes missing if he is wrong.

So yeah, I went into detail and explained myself. And in doing so, appear to have contradicted myself. I wasn't running private investment fund back in 2000 (during height of dotcoms, techs, etc - ie, the high of the Nasdaq). And many people in the industry feel like much of the time since the turn of the century was the "lost decade". So no, it was not the highest it has ever been. Obviously. You can find that out on any chart or googling it in a second. I meant: highest in the last decade+ (meaning for over a decade now). But no, not ever.

Thanks for pointing out what was already pointed out. Very helpful.
Oh don't get all butthurt. It was funny. But come on with the "worded poorly" nonsense. Do you think people are stupid? You literally went out of your way to emphasize that you did NOT mean just the highest in the past few years. You beat that point into the ground - that you definitely were not talking about just the past 5-6 years, you were talking about ALL TIME. And now you're saying you really meant the exact opposite of that, and you just worded it poorly? :rolleyes:

You ####ed up, laugh it off, don't act like it didn't happen and don't act like your track record in stock threads or your history of running investment funds changes is relevant.

lol
It was a mistake - poor wording as I already explained. Thanks though for adding insight.Btw, I've already more than proven some things in these stock threads. Feel free to check back on my live (real-time) plays on EXK last summer. I was constantly buying and selling and reporting it here as it happened. But 99% of the posts in these threads has lacked any real substance. Or when you ask a guy why he feels the way he does about something, sometimes he goes missing if he is wrong.

So yeah, I went into detail and explained myself. And in doing so, appear to have contradicted myself. I wasn't running private investment fund back in 2000 (during height of dotcoms, techs, etc - ie, the high of the Nasdaq). And many people in the industry feel like much of the time since the turn of the century was the "lost decade". So no, it was not the highest it has ever been. Obviously. You can find that out on any chart or googling it in a second. I meant: highest in the last decade+ (meaning for over a decade now). But no, not ever.

Thanks for pointing out what was already pointed out. Very helpful.
Oh don't get all butthurt. It was funny. But come on with the "worded poorly" nonsense. Do you think people are stupid? You literally went out of your way to emphasize that you did NOT mean just the highest in the past few years. You beat that point into the ground - that you definitely were not talking about just the past 5-6 years, you were talking about ALL TIME. And now you're saying you really meant the exact opposite of that, and you just worded it poorly? :rolleyes:

You ####ed up, laugh it off, don't act like it didn't happen and don't act like your track record in stock threads or your history of running investment funds changes is relevant.
My point was simply: It was not at all time highs at the end of 2007 like the DJIA and the S&P500. It was not on that same exact path. It was already much higher than that, whereas DJIA & S&P500 were not already much higher - rather they were finally approaching those old #s.But thanks for not only pointing it out after someone already did, but on top of that - coming back to it yet again.

Feel free to keep going with it. That's what people love in a stock thread.

(And ironically, I am beginning to think people really do love petty arguments. Think about it. I wrote a few in-depth paragraphs on my views of the overall market. I explained the DJIA was clearly bullish; the S&P was feeling bullish; but meanwhile the technicals were not saying the same about the Nasdaq (at least not at the time of my point - things have changed since). Yet how many responses did that get? How much feedback or back and forth on that subject was generated? Minimal.)

You're up now...

When CNBC had a special on last night celebrating the market highs (which i've never seen before... normally all news networks love to tout doom and gloom... bad news sells)My immediate alarm in my mind was:This will push the market up another few %, but then i could see some of the big money taking a profit.I'm highly considering taking about 10-20% off in the next 2 weeks of my 401K money that's in the S&P 500, Russell 2000, and s&p midcap 400 index funds.Be fearful when others are greedy, be greedy when others are fearful.I've seen too many positive market reports lately... I feel like it's time to be prudent.I took 15% off when the dow hit 13K, obviously that wasn't the right move, but I've had a pretty damn good run...Please berate or comment on this as you see fit
I'm not a day trader by any means, very conservative in fact and only holding a few non-mutual fund/ETF holdings. But, I agree with Dentist, and feel something is amiss. I feel big/institutional money is going to take profits at some point here, the upward curve will break, and individuals may/may not follow the suit and take profits returning the market back down to "more normal" levels. Question is when, anyone that can predict that, :sharkmove:

(And ironically, I am beginning to think people really do love petty arguments. Think about it. I wrote a few in-depth paragraphs on my views of the overall market. I explained the DJIA was clearly bullish; the S&P was feeling bullish; but meanwhile the technicals were not saying the same about the Nasdaq (at least not at the time of my point - things have changed since). Yet how many responses did that get? How much feedback or back and forth on that subject was generated? Minimal.)
Of course people all love petty arguments. That's why this thread deteriorates quickly and becomes useless.Few and far between are the posters like SLB and Mystery Achiever (two of my personal favorites)...oh and Sand who used to more actively participate, just off the top of my head, posters who throw down trades, or questions about trades or companies that they are thinking of investing in or may be a good buy.Instead you get a lot of noise and non-sense and arguments. My personal favorites are the posters (and you know who they are, so no need for me to call them out) that are like "oh, I'm all in cash right now as this market is going to dive" or cheering for the market to go down so they can come in and deem themselves as geniuses for only having 10% invested right now, with the rest of their money on the sidelines. Really? All of your intuition is telling you that the market is overprices and the best you can do is get 0.1% return while you wait for that one day or week or month where you can come pipe in and tell everyone how brilliant you are because you sold out months ago? If you are so confident the market is overpriced or that it is going to break, there are devices out there that allow you to trade as such. But you'd rather just make that rare post about how all of your money is not vested. Brilliant. I'll wait for your newsletter to come out for the next bear market.For me, I'll just sit out of this thread, except for the occasional rant here and there. Or if someone whom I like seems like they have a genuine question that I may be of assistance on, I may offer what I can. But yeah, this thread thrives more on :pokey: then anything else.

How do you subscribe?
Found it
Siff,

I haven't wanted to send email updates out unless there was a major turn in the market. A "rare" email, I hope will carry more significance. Now I do send out an notification on Twitter when I'm about to make a post on the blog. But I post other stuff in between too. It's at the times of a PI flip when I believe a trend investor needs to do work. The rest of the time you just let the trend work in your favor. Because of that I've gone to updating the blog 2x a month. The first and third Friday...or thereabouts.

The latest post can be found here:

Steelhedge Blog

Now I know we're at all time highs, and the PI is bullish. From the front page here it's all giggles, smirks, I told ya sos and such. What has me a bit on edge is that for all the bullishness the PI is dropping. Take today...the PI should have gone up by at least .04 pts...a large and positive move correlated to the large and positive move in the markets. But that's not what the PI did....the PI dropped today and has everyday since 2/19/13 (a few days it was flat, but get the jist here). So my interest is perked. It's important to remember that the market is bullish...and I expect it will stay that way until it finally isn't. At the same time I'm not convinced they will ring a bell to let you know THE top is in either. So while Maria Bartiromo's panties are soaked, and Cramers booyaing like he's just swallowed a months worth of viagra...I'm (how can I put this), cautiously, pessimistically, BULLISH.

The #1 thing focus of investing for your future is: Preserve your wealth.

Then grow it.

Better to take your profits too early than too late. Take appropriate risk, take the risk at appropriate times, and protect your gains.
I always appreciate your insight but wanted to point out the format on your site displays horribly for me. Very difficult to read the type on my work computer. I am pretty bullish too right now from a long term perspective. That said, hard to think we won't see a correction at some point with Europe and Congress trying there best to hold this market back. Still would like to see the 10 year yield rising.

Users who are viewing this thread