What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (13 Viewers)

Well, I was the idiot on the end that bought a handful of shares.😆
Long term you should be fine. I’d love to have SE and I’ve watched it run up. It wouldn’t shock me to see a 10-15% drop at any point this summer. I’m looking to deploy some more cash. As long as CYDY and AMZN hold prop me up through a dip, I’m cool. Outside of a couple things, all my buys are long term so not planning to jump out and back in since I’ve seen way too many of my stocks pop 10%+ in a day so I don’t want to miss out due to bad timing. I’m not good enough to time things.

Adam Mancini

@AdamMancini4

Were back at that 3060 battleground in #ES_F and losing it now- this was tested 2x last week, recaptured Sunday, back-tested Monday night exactly on the China news and is key line in the sand. Bulls need to get back above this today otherwise next supports are the 200dma & 2970
Oof, this is getting ugly. Pushing through important levels. Forced selling as pensions rebalance coupled with worsening COVID headlines. Maybe I was a week early. Most seemed to dismiss pension fund rebalancings impact on the way up but maybe it has the same impact on the way down. 

Treasuries up a tad but seems like just selling across the board. Well stocks and commodities are going in the same direction at least. 

Just kicking myself for not buying TVIX on the dip to $125 yesterday, coulda ejected at today's close for 25%+ profit...bah.

Man, i never have the feel for these inverse funds.  I either hold tza too long or sell too soon (sold this morning).

Not for the faint of heart. 

Lol. Man the RHs are just morons. Hertz is up today on news that Carmax and Auto Nation May swoop in. Well if you actually read the article it says this:

Mazari said the most obvious way for auto dealers CarMax and AutoNation to "swoop in" would be to bid for 150,000 of Hertz's used cars, which are likely to be sold to pay off lenders

So basically, still going through bankruptcy but these guys may purchase their cars so they can settle with debtors. Still doesn’t help stockholders. SMH.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/hertzs-stock-soars-after-jefferies-says-carmax-autonation-may-swoop-in-2020-06-24?siteid=yhoof2&yptr=yahoo
Not to mention. Buying companies out of bankruptcy is pretty common because you can buy it without any liabilities. I.e. you pay $15bn for a company that has $18bn in debt, all but guaranteeing no cash for equity holders. I don't have sympathy for these folks though. I'm sure some are getting rich but most will be left bag holding. 

Anyone recommend selling off stocks holding up well like Intel to deploy the funds elsewhere?
 I'm not an aggressive investor--but I've owned Intel for a while and am in at a solidly low price--and I'm holding mine.  The longer covid is around--the more big tech dominates the workplace (in a WFH world)  and economy.  I personally wouldn't be in a hurry to get out of Intel. 

Boy I wish I would have trusted my gut and got out of BLMN yesterday at a minimal loss when it was at 11.10.  

Some sort of news we don't know about out there?   

HTZ up 60%.  Geeze.  So silly
I've said this a few times--maybe you've blocked/ignored me so you don't see my posts--but Bloomin brands is heavily exposed in states where the virus is exploding.  I even posted a map of it.  If you look at the number of locations they have in Florida for example--it's substantial.  

I've said this a few times--maybe you've blocked/ignored me so you don't see my posts--but Bloomin brands is heavily exposed in states where the virus is exploding.  I even posted a map of it.  If you look at the number of locations they have in Florida for example--it's substantial.  
Also for all the sports betting folks, if the PGA can't keep its players safe, how are the other leagues going to? The bubble system may work but that would mean you literally can't see anyone from the outside world. Just seems like it will just take one trainer or a hotel worker to get it and kaboom.

So here's a contrarian take: The Fed is Not Juicing the Stock Market

The main argument is that banks are hoarding cash and there is not actually an abundance of money sloshing around in the economy right now. The Fed's main role in this rally has been simply assuring people that they will do whatever it takes. 

I think there are some bank guys in here ( @Slapdash ?), curious to hear what your thoughts are.

Sold Blmn and MFA acquired earlier for a 2% and 5% gain.  Also picked up some more cydy at 4.95 to complete my daily buy.

Haha, is he saying anything good? May go to the selling puts on these suckers. Should have done that in the first place to free up capital. EURN Aug 10 puts trading ~$2. Make money if stock stays above $8. Will report early Aug but likely won't pay dividend yet so shouldn't see any leakage from that. Given what has happened, I may lighten up on the over-levered guys. No sense in paying similar prices for over-levered guys given uncertainty. 
It appears he has sacrificed himself to the capitulation gods. Amid hints of contango re-emerging.  :popcorn:

It appears he has sacrificed himself to the capitulation gods. Amid hints of contango re-emerging.  :popcorn:
Woof. That isn't a good look. Guess that is what happens when you're a software engineer turned tanker expert. He always did seem a little too emotional. I mean, how low can they go? Guess we'll find out. This should change capital allocation to more buybacks, debt paydown. I may have to check performance but if it's all relatively close, I'm definitely moving up in quality. DHT still seems attractive but know STNG has a decent amount of debt. 

The main argument is that banks are hoarding cash and there is not actually an abundance of money sloshing around in the economy right now. The Fed's main role in this rally has been simply assuring people that they will do whatever it takes. 

I think there are some bank guys in here ( @Slapdash ?), curious to hear what your thoughts are.
That whole piece is a tautology. When the Fed buys securities it literally creates that money as a bank reserve at the Fed. Fed policy is meant to work through price and expactation channels. So, to an extent the bold is their role and goal.

Today feels different.  Florida releasing record covid numbers, California and Los Angeles releasing record covid numbers (and keep in mind the amount of testing in Los Angeles has not been increasing in recent weeks), Texas not looking good, Arizona blowing up.   The government just pulled funding from Federal covid testing--7 of the 13 federal sites are in Texas (they claim they will divert the funds to local testing--but I don't think people are really buying that--including Ted Cruz).  It looks like our administration is trying to do what it can to sweep covid under the rug and the markets are seeing through it.  Vegas with a big covid spike.  With that said--I'm having a hard time figuring out if today is a product of bad headlines, profit taking or a realization that our economic reality is going to be challenging for a while as long as this virus is around.   I think it's most likely a combination of all three of these things--which worries me as I don't think these three dynamics are going to disappear anytime really soon.  

Today feels different.  Florida releasing record covid numbers, California and Los Angeles releasing record covid numbers (and keep in mind the amount of testing in Los Angeles has not been increasing in recent weeks), Texas not looking good, Arizona blowing up.   The government just pulled funding from Federal covid testing--7 of the 13 federal sites are in Texas (they claim they will divert the funds to local testing--but I don't think people are really buying that--including Ted Cruz).  It looks like our administration is trying to do what it can to sweep covid under the rug and the markets are seeing through it.  Vegas with a big covid spike.  With that said--I'm having a hard time figuring out if today is a product of bad headlines, profit taking or a realization that our economic reality is going to be challenging for a while as long as this virus is around.   I think it's most likely a combination of all three of these things--which worries me as I don't think these three dynamics are going to disappear anytime really soon.  
I think market rebound was on belief of v-shape recovery and worst of Covid behind us.  Numbers on Covid look like a V but in the wrong way as we have not flattened the curve.  I think good chance later this week we hit an all-time high for single day new covid cases.

Does that mean we get the 8 trillion back?

Well @Todem nailed it on Disney.  Looking forward to buying in the 90s again shortly.  I hope most of you took his advice and exited.
I have this in my kid's accounts.  If it does dip I'll buy more.  Right now they're about even, so in a good spot with previous purchases.  In 10 years this one is going to be a big winner.

I have this in my kid's accounts.  If it does dip I'll buy more.  Right now they're about even, so in a good spot with previous purchases.  In 10 years this one is going to be a big winner.
Entering 15-20% lower will make a big winner and HUGE winner.  Maybe the difference between Bama and Clemson.

Entering 15-20% lower will make a big winner and HUGE winner.  Maybe the difference between Bama and Clemson.
I'll add, for sure.  I'm not going to sell the bits that they've got, though.  This market is bouncing around like a superball.

Oh, and to put in terms this thread can understand - Bama = CCL, Clemson = CYDY.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called my FA today with instruction to buy.  I'm humble bragging here but this is what he said to me:

Bob, you are my only client that has been consistently taking a some off the table. Now you're the only one telling me to buy.

Then he started telling me a lot of thing about a lot of other clients letting off steam.

:bowtie:

We all might die though so WTF. :shrug:
Up over 20% YTD, combined, in all portfolios.   Sold a lot today so that I only have roughly 55% in stocks.

@chet  Thanks again for the CYDY, tip.  Wish you would have told me to put every last penny I had in it though. ;)

GL all

fantasycurse42 said:
CYDY all I have left in the green. Company stock hammered, portfolio hammered, and the yellow rock is falling... Prob going to avoid looking at anything else for the rest of the day. 
Definitely getting hammered

Would not have guess Kroger would be my 2nd best holding today

I mean this probably ins't the place for it. Didn't we used to have a Fed topic? I remember being educated by Slapdash and folks on the theory of the Fed there. But it is never that simple. It's actually amazing how interconnected the whole system is. I don't think it's as easy as the market is up $3T since the Fed injected $3T or that bank reserves are up $3T so it's all there. I'm convinced only a few hundred people in the world understand how it all works and I'm not one of them. 

But how much of the deposits are from borrowers who borrowed hundreds of billions but have no use for the cash yet? Also have deposits from folks who are getting paid or stimulus but have no where to spend it. Those deposits aren't sticky so would make sense for banks not to lend them. Because we're taking lending out of the bank system doesn't mean it isn't happening and that is pushing money out of those markets and into other markets. 

Feel great down .61% with 3 stocks green. CYDY kicking ### and a lot of stuff barely down. Going to be interesting to see if it’s a dip or blip. 

I mean this probably ins't the place for it. Didn't we used to have a Fed topic? I remember being educated by Slapdash and folks on the theory of the Fed there. But it is never that simple. It's actually amazing how interconnected the whole system is. I don't think it's as easy as the market is up $3T since the Fed injected $3T or that bank reserves are up $3T so it's all there. I'm convinced only a few hundred people in the world understand how it all works and I'm not one of them. 

But how much of the deposits are from borrowers who borrowed hundreds of billions but have no use for the cash yet? Also have deposits from folks who are getting paid or stimulus but have no where to spend it. Those deposits aren't sticky so would make sense for banks not to lend them. Because we're taking lending out of the bank system doesn't mean it isn't happening and that is pushing money out of those markets and into other markets. 
This classic from S&P is something I share all the time. It simply lays out the accounting identities in the modern banking system.

Boom or bust with this one:  CYDY.  Biotech drug maker awaiting FDA approval for new HIV drug among other things.  Here's an article from Seeking Alpha that came out last month.

FYI:  Stocks that trade @ ~$0.34 are more likely to go to $0 than $1.  I think this will be an exception.
First reference.  Brings a tear to my eye.

$CYDY

#notselling

So, historically dominant vs a few good years.
Nope.  Sand went to Clemson, lives in Arkansas.  It was a joke about his kids having to go to Bama rather than Clemson (cheaper tuition) because he bought into Disney to high.  I'm trying to prevent him from having to live with that.

Users who are viewing this thread