What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (18 Viewers)

Was it the same ship? Thought it was a different one but yeah, $40k/d is still great. I just saw the registration. No idea what that could be for. I'd want them to be buying shares back at this price, not issuing more. 
You are correct - different ship. I am not sure either - some on Twitter speculated it was just maintaining authorization to sell. Apparently BW Group owns a bunch. 

My bad I thought it said location. I just fixed it.

Anyway.....Yeah....things are getting stupid down here. Palm Beach County is a shining example of what not to do. They thumbed their nose at following social distancing and wearing masks in public. 

It is insane. 

Other stocks to buy today....PFE. Keeps getting cheaper. 
I think EXC was on your master list, and it's gotten beaten down this week.  You still like it?

$GYPR?  No.  I don't see that as eminent.  I think overall the market is risky.  However it takes many months for a long term trend to flip.  Maybe $285ish on the $SPY has some significance.  Though I don't think we go there straight away.  If and I mean IF the market were to turn bearish on the LT trend - the way I'm reading the chart is that it is going to be ugly and ugly for a long time.  That's a best guess and my read would change with how and when that trend were to flip.  The price movement on monthly bars for 2020 is unprecedented and to me that's not a good thing - in fact it's down right scary.

$BA - I have $0  at play regarding $BA.  I'm rules based (fundamentals tell me what to buy and technicals/trend tell me when to buy it)...so I'm not going to be buying shares into a company in a LT bearish trend.  $BA achieved it's lofty share price in 2019 not because of a successful business model but rather by financial engineering.  It's just not the kind of company I want to be invested in out of a universe of other companies that comprises of much better opportunities from my perspective.

Todem has served you guys quite well.  I'd just listen to him honestly.  

So what brokerages are popular here? I have no skin in the game here and won't for a while as the wife and I used our chunk of savings to get into our house. So far my experience is with work retirement accounts and making the best of those choices. In the future I am looking to take a small percentage of our funds and put them towards a taxable account and wonder what people like to use for flexibility, control, and ease of use. My style is usually buy and hold long term. TIA and all hail chet.

How are you all feeling about holding over the weekend here?

I can't help but think that this upwards trend in cases continues and Monday opens red from fear of either extending current shutdowns or closing up again.

Started a position in Albertsons Companies Inc (ACI).  New IPO today.  Cramer recommended buying under $25, currently at 15.60 range.  More of a retail trader reaction quick play as I know nothing about the company.

I can't help but think that this upwards trend in cases continues and Monday opens red from fear of either extending current shutdowns or closing up again.
Long term--I'm bullish.  I've said it before a few times--short to medium term--I'm fairly bearish.   Our Covid numbers are basically back to where we were at the onset.  Four + months in--and we went from flattening the curve to spiking it to arguably worse than its original onset.  Huge spikes in cases and hospitalizations in some of our largest and most economically substantial states.   Let's not forget that the only reason our market is where it is now is because of massive artificial injections of capital and stimulus from the fed.   I don't see today's drop as fear entering the market--it's reality entering it.   Our country was so focused on bridging the covid problem in regards to the stock markets/economy that it neglected the prevention of the actual disease.   At some point--that reality is going to come back and effect the markets--and that's what is happening.  No other first world country has handled covid as bad as we have. With that said--I have far more confidence in our companies, our private sector--than I do our government and this is why I am a long term bull.  I don't think our government will lead us out of this health crisis--I think our companies, our doctors, our nurses, and our scientists will.   

SHLL up 42% today.
Do you know what company they are wanting to take public?  This was in my search cookies but don't remember looking at it.

Never mind, got it.

Hyliion will be merging with Tortoise Acquisition Corp. (NYSE:SHLL) and the newly combined company will remain on the New York Stock Exchange under the new ticker symbol ("HYLN").

Pro forma implied market capitalization of the combined company over $1.5 billion.

Transaction includes an upsized $325 million fully committed PIPE.

Proceeds will be used to fully fund the commercialization and mass production of the company's electrified powertrain solutions.

The compatibility of Hyliion's products with conventional vehicle architectures and chassis accelerates near term adoption of electrification solutions in the commercial vehicle market.

Founder and CEO Thomas Healy will be joined by Tortoise Acquisition Corp.'s Vince Cubbage and Stephen Pang in a newly formed board of directors.

Hyliion Inc., a leader in electrified powertrain solutions for Class 8 commercial vehicles, announced today it intends to merge with Tortoise Acquisition Corp. (NYSE:SHLL), a publicly traded special purpose acquisition company with a strategic focus on the energy sector and decarbonizing commercial transportation in North America. Upon the closing of the transaction, the combined entity will be named Hyliion Holdings Corp. and remain on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) under the new ticker symbol "HYLN."

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't disagree but I think everyone is feeling that way. Hence why stocks are selling off today. So if things don't get as bad as people think, you could just as easily get a rally on Monday. 

We're getting a second chance to play the market as it approaches some of the lows seen in the first drop in March. I just don't know how recoverable our situation is compared to two months ago, and I'm less certain we will see a multi-trillion dollar plan again.

Bank stocks taking a pounding. So tempting. 

Broader point, we have royally effed this up.
Didn't guru Mayo tell us yesterday to buy bank stocks?

Started a position in Albertsons Companies Inc (ACI).  New IPO today.  Cramer recommended buying under $25, currently at 15.60 range.  More of a retail trader reaction quick play as I know nothing about the company.
I mean it looks like it priced below it's expected range of $18-$20 and is already trading below its IPO price of $16. That is never a good sign for an IPO. It's also owned by PE. So it's not really a growth IPO, it's a mature business with PE just trying to get out of their investment and looking to get out with super markets attractive due to COVID. Cerberus has been in there since 2006 and been trying to IPO it for a while. It's over-levered and PE isn't known to leave money on the table even for an IPO. At $15.60, it may not be terrible. I wouldn't rely too much on Cramer but you won't get a traditional IPO pop especially with how it's reacted now. View it as a long-term investment. May be a cheaper way to play super markets than TGT or WMT but obviously a little riskier. 

I don't disagree but I think everyone is feeling that way. Hence why stocks are selling off today. So if things don't get as bad as people think, you could just as easily get a rally on Monday. 
I can only speak from california where I am--but generally speaking--the weekend numbers that get reported where I live are basically almost always inaccurate and under reported. Some of the labs/testing centers are not open on the weekends--and the number of the staffers that handle the reporting for hospitals tend to be limited on the weekends.  Many times out here in California--the weekend numbers will look optimistic but they will then correct them a few days later--which complicates things. It makes things look brighter on Mondays--but many times by Wednesday or Thursday things will look dire again as they add the accurate weekend numbers into the totals and adjust them.   This might not be the case everywhere--so people from areas outside of Southern Cali might to chime in on if this is happening where they are.   If there is a rally on Monday because of what appears to be decent weekend numbers--that could very well be fool's gold if this same reporting dynamic is prevalent around the country. 

Long term--I'm bullish.  I've said it before a few times--short to medium term--I'm fairly bearish.   Our Covid numbers are basically back to where we were at the onset.  Four + months in--and we went from flattening the curve to spiking it to arguably worse than its original onset.  Huge spikes in cases and hospitalizations in some of our largest and most economically substantial states.   Let's not forget that the only reason our market is where it is now is because of massive artificial injections of capital and stimulus from the fed.   I don't see today's drop as fear entering the market--it's reality entering it.   Our country was so focused on bridging the covid problem in regards to the stock markets/economy that it neglected the prevention of the actual disease.   At some point--that reality is going to come back and effect the markets--and that's what is happening.  No other first world country has handled covid as bad as we have. With that said--I have far more confidence in our companies, our private sector--than I do our government and this is why I am a long term bull.  I don't think our government will lead us out of this health crisis--I think our companies, our doctors, our nurses, and our scientists will.   
As Azar said today, "There are no certainties in science."

Lol. YES I MADE A $200 mistake, How about five more mentions before it expires today.

Jeebus,

Or bring up my DIS and DKNG puts at 20x the investment
Sorry. Wasn’t trying to needle you. I was asking to see if you still felt negative on it or if you felt like it won’t drop now. I wanted to get your actual bearish opinion. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry. Wasn’t trying to needle you. I was asking to see if you still felt negative on it or if you felt like it won’t drop now. I wanted to get your actual bearish opinion. 
Sorry for over-reacting. No, I am in no way bearish on FSLY anymore. It was a contrarian longshot stab. Glad it was a small wager.

Some profit taking on a Friday afternoon after a massive run-up this week with a binary event forthcoming is no surprise to me. I'll be happy if it stays green.
Yep

Can't really blame people for taking gains on a OTC stock which doubled in the past week (not to mention the previous gains). 

I'll be honest, if I had a significant amount, I'd probably have sold at 7. I definitely get why others won't. 

I mean it looks like it priced below it's expected range of $18-$20 and is already trading below its IPO price of $16. That is never a good sign for an IPO. It's also owned by PE. So it's not really a growth IPO, it's a mature business with PE just trying to get out of their investment and looking to get out with super markets attractive due to COVID. Cerberus has been in there since 2006 and been trying to IPO it for a while. It's over-levered and PE isn't known to leave money on the table even for an IPO. At $15.60, it may not be terrible. I wouldn't rely too much on Cramer but you won't get a traditional IPO pop especially with how it's reacted now. View it as a long-term investment. May be a cheaper way to play super markets than TGT or WMT but obviously a little riskier. 
I hear you man.  My bet (and I do mean to gamble) is on the retail investors, RH crowd, Cramer followers.  Not expecting to stay in this long.  Sort of a roll-the-dice and see if it picks up steam over the weekend and gets a little bump next week.  Their CEO is about to talk on Bloomberg.   

Sorry for over-reacting. No, I am in no way bearish on FSLY anymore. It was a contrarian longshot stab. Glad it was a small wager.
No worries. I’ve loved the stock, definitely done me right, but there’s always more opinions. I remember when I first looked at it the float was said to be small so it jerked around a lot. Was wondering if you felt too much of it was driven by that or squeezing that it could drop a lot fast. It seems to be holding up well.

Yep

Can't really blame people for taking gains on a OTC stock which doubled in the past week (not to mention the previous gains). 

I'll be honest, if I had a significant amount, I'd probably have sold at 7. I definitely get why others won't. 
If it goes below six, I'll buy more

No worries. I’ve loved the stock, definitely done me right, but there’s always more opinions. I remember when I first looked at it the float was said to be small so it jerked around a lot. Was wondering if you felt too much of it was driven by that or squeezing that it could drop a lot fast. It seems to be holding up well.
No, it was more that I anticipated a correction and it was in the net I cast of stocks with large recent run-up I thought were over-valued. 

I sold about ⅓ @ $9.75, just to buy some DFS and SBIO. 
I almost pulled the trigger north of 10 yesterday.  I don't like the pattern recently of down on up days and down on down days.  The downward action yesterday during the market rally led me to think another time may be better.  Of course, I'm usually wrong and it'll be 13 by the end of next week.

Users who are viewing this thread