What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (15 Viewers)

Is anyone selling their shares of Tesla?  Or considering shorting? 

Up more than 30% in 6 days, for a company valued over $200B, the highest valued as auto company in the world now.  They might turn a profit this month. 

I don't want to sell out entirely, but this is looking way overpriced. 

It might join the S&P 500 soon, so that can be major.

Who was it here that said TTD wasn't a good pick because streaming revenue and ad sales would be terrible this year?  May have even bought some puts in anticipation of a big drop.

$459 pre-market this morning after a steady climb in price since the end of March.  I sold my 50 shares at 225 in April.   :doh:

Who was it here that said TTD wasn't a good pick because streaming revenue and ad sales would be terrible this year?  May have even bought some puts in anticipation of a big drop.

$459 pre-market this morning after a steady climb in price since the end of March.  I sold my 50 shares at 225 in April.   :doh:
No idea, I wasn't even following this thread then, but thanks for the reminder that we need to do our own research and investing.

Dr. Been Interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiyjIIpkIJw&feature=youtu.be

NP did good. Highlights

Applied to NASDAQ to uplist. Application under review. Expect to hear back in @ two weeks.

Not sure if FDA will approve for Covid if phase 2 results are good. Whether a phase three will be required depends if FDA views Leronlimab as meeting an "unmet medical need"

CYDY has been working to get a trial started in UK but have run into more govt delay on their part than expected but believes they are close to coming to an agreement

Have made rapid headway in Mexico. Whatever Mexico has asked for CYDY has given them quickly.

When asked why remdisivir has had so much support compared to leronlimab. NP mentioned that when doctors started asking to use leronlimab for emergency use, the NIH didn't undertstand as no one had asked to use the drug before in this way. So basically starting from scratch.

When asked about price point NP said at first it would be lower or perhaps match remdisivir. When asked about availability to poorer countries. NP mentioned billionaires willing to fund at a lower price point once approval occurs. Dr Been said that he could assist NP make connections with the govts of other countries that would reduce CYDY's effort needed to get trials/approval in those countries. CYDY would have an in rather than starting from scratch again.

NP said that there is no conspiracy from BP to keep CYDY down.

He again said the FDA has been cooperative and has assisted when it can to make things easier.

Again said there is a good chance CYDY will be a triple digit stock.

Expects trial results for covid by end of July can not commit to a date yet except by the end of July. Said that every hospital involved in the study has to review and sign off on the data first.

Said he believes that once results are known as positive that he expects govt funding support without the need to dilute.

When asked about Dr. Patterson and article- NP said that several of the doctors involved in the study would be writing papers. Didn't discuss the BIG article that was supposed to published by Dr. Patterson (Got the impression perhaps that there is something going behind the scenes) NP mention Dr. Patterson working for Incell and not CYDY.

There have been talks with Big Pharma about coming together with CYDY but they have signed a non-disclosure agreement

Also Dr. Been said after his own research he endorsed leronlimab as a promising drug.

Probably a few things I missed. But thought that there was good information here. 

This interview was one of his best.  Covered a lot of areas surrounding the company and this drug.  Will say again that he seems passionate about the company and presents himself as genuine, imo.

Up-listing questions were interesting.  NASDAQ application is in and awaiting word.  Already has price that qualifies for NASDAQ. Has potential to raise money to go to NAZ right now.  Cytodyn believes the potential for the stock could be triple digit, not double digit.  His opinion.  He said Mike Mulholland (not sure who that is) has something "up his sleeve" that could provide a shortcut to up-listing. If accepted (by NAZ I suppose) then they would not have to raise money (less dilution) before up-listing.  Perhaps something about covid related circumstances to get approval.  That would be nice. 

My one mistake was sort of listening to him. I’ve still got over 100 shares so plenty of skin in the game but it was my biggest holding so I’d been thinking of trimming. I did reinvest some of that in other things but should have just ridden it out.

I sold at $234 and it was the Jefferson guy. I’d assume he hasn’t been in here because he was really negative and probably missed the entire run up. I’m still well over 90% invested so not the end of the world but still my worst call this year.

No idea, I wasn't even following this thread then, but thanks for the reminder that we need to do our own research and investing.
I had bought it mid last year somewhere around 170 after doing some reading and seeing its potential.  I didn't sell because of posts here but like other stonks it plummeted in March and again in April.  I wanted to free some cash to buy other beaten down tickers so I set it to sell on one of the small surges it had in April.  Used the funds to buy other stuff, so not hugely disappointed but, wow, TTD is killing it this summer.  

I had bought it mid last year somewhere around 170 after doing some reading and seeing its potential.  I didn't sell because of posts here but like other stonks it plummeted in March and again in April.  I wanted to free some cash to buy other beaten down tickers so I set it to sell on one of the small surges it had in April.  Used the funds to buy other stuff, so not hugely disappointed but, wow, TTD is killing it this summer.  
I honestly didn't even know what TTD is, but streaming and cloud services seem to be doing extremely well this year.

My one mistake was sort of listening to him. I’ve still got over 100 shares so plenty of skin in the game but it was my biggest holding so I’d been thinking of trimming. I did reinvest some of that in other things but should have just ridden it out.

I sold at $234 and it was the Jefferson guy. I’d assume he hasn’t been in here because he was really negative and probably missed the entire run up. I’m still well over 90% invested so not the end of the world but still my worst call this year.
I was able to use decent funds from that sell to buy lots of other stuff.  Wish I had bought some back at 160, though.  Oh well.  Still a good year so far.  

Holding DFS for sure. 
Same here.  Love that one and DFS was one that I was turned on to from suggestions here.  Trying to increase my position in DFS.  

Many suggestions pan out well, some others do not.  Even with suggestions, I run through my own valuation methods.  Things like BLMN I just followed the crowd for quick trades and glad I did.  Same with CYDY.  Hard to evaluate a company that has no revenue on the product.  Speculation all the way.  But I believe the science and no matter what happens, I'm grateful to Chet for bringing it to our attention.

I was able to use decent funds from that sell to buy lots of other stuff.  Wish I had bought some back at 160, though.  Oh well.  Still a good year so far.  
A good year? It’s been ridiculous. My worst account return is 45% YTD and that was my largest account in cash to start the year with around 35-40% cash. My other two are 57% and 65% up YTD. That’s amazing with the market being about even.

A good year? It’s been ridiculous. My worst account return is 45% YTD and that was my largest account in cash to start the year with around 35-40% cash. My other two are 57% and 65% up YTD. That’s amazing with the market being about even.
Yeah it's been better than good.  Didn't want to jinx things.  My trading account is up 46% ytd.  Never could have imagined that, especially with the market's big dips and recoveries this spring... amidst all the uncertainty.  

I sold some of those puts too.  Whoever it was had what appeared to be a convincing argument.  

Impressive. 

I'm still down from Feb. it seems this year has been a convincing argument against indexing.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could have shorted. 
True. You don’t hear much from some folks, makes you think they were. That said, I’m pretty skittish, would love to lock in gains and potentially buy lower but how do you really time that? I do plan to sell some Amazon that’s gotten to long term capital gains tax status for upcoming expenses, i.e. college. Glad I kept it non-cash until I needed it, worked out great.

Impressive. 

I'm still down from Feb. it seems this year has been a convincing argument against indexing.
Motley Fool, Amazon (they are big fans, but I bought before them) and CYDY. Not going to happen every year but I do think that active accounts with good guidance can beat the indexes.

Motley Fool, Amazon (they are big fans, but I bought before them) and CYDY. Not going to happen every year but I do think that active accounts with good guidance can beat the indexes.
I'm very much on the fence here, long term. Obviously some accounts will beat indexes over time, but not most (according to the bulk of the people I've listened to anyway).

I'm quite happy to have my Roth IRA invested in individual companies, but the bulk of our investments are indexes.

Bought some weekly puts on MGM. Didn't get the top but fading that move. Also shorted some more THC. Stocks fading their moves but leaving some ammo to short any bounce on a WH announcement. 

I'm very much on the fence here, long term. Obviously some accounts will beat indexes over time, but not most (according to the bulk of the people I've listened to anyway).

I'm quite happy to have my Roth IRA invested in individual companies, but the bulk of our investments are indexes.
It easy to see why the bulk don’t do better. Just look at the RH stuff. The companies that are hot investments aren’t good long term plays. I think people get caught up in value of beaten down companies and well they are usually beaten down for a reason. We’ll see how it continues. Love this thread.

Same here.  Largest retirement accounts are in indexes.  My trading account is an IRA I converted from an old 401k I had with an old company (10 yrs ago).  Had all but forgotten about it.  Now an IRA that I solely manage.  11 holdings, all companies.  Traded mostly options last year but when the market tanked in March, it gave me an opportunity to put the money into companies that were overvalued (imo) in 2019.  The account is up considerably since March and I've only done 2 option trades.  

Same here.  Largest retirement accounts are in indexes.  My trading account is an IRA I converted from an old 401k I had with an old company (10 yrs ago).  Had all but forgotten about it.  Now an IRA that I solely manage.  11 holdings, all companies.  Traded mostly options last year but when the market tanked in March, it gave me an opportunity to put the money into companies that were overvalued (imo) in 2019.  The account is up considerably since March and I've only done 2 option trades.  
Ditto. Most in indexes. The CYDY train got me to trade within my Roth IRA for the first time ever. Didn't even know about the ins and outs of Roth IRA trading until this thread.

Nice open for our upstart this morning.  
Yep. That’s done wonders for my returns this year. @-OZ- That’s why you can’t look at this year’s gains and assume you’ll always beat indexes. Not going to be huge gainers you luck into every year but ride them while you can.

I feel like there are a few caveats. For one, us retail folks can buy small and micro cap stocks that won't move the needle for Buffett. That was the key to his early success. Him and Munger have pretty much said retail investors should just find under-indexed or non-indexed stocks and outperform that way. The other thing, retail investors tend to overreact. I'm underperforming because I've moved money in and out of the market at inopportune times. But it's apples to oranges to compare it index returns because I wouldn't have been all-in index stocks anyways. 

ETA: Oh and fees for active management will kill ya. But if you are doing it yourself, those fees obviously don't matter. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. That’s done wonders for my returns this year. @-OZ- That’s why you can’t look at this year’s gains and assume you’ll always beat indexes. Not going to be huge gainers you luck into every year but ride them while you can.
Agreed. 

I do like the fool's mantra of letting winners ride. At the same point, rebalancing seems to have merit.

This would be so much easier if we could predict the future. ;)

I feel like there are a few caveats. For one, us retail folks can buy small and micro cap stocks that won't move the needle for Buffett. That was the key to his early success. Him and Munger have pretty much said retail investors should just find under-indexed or non-indexed stocks and outperform that way. The other thing, retail investors tend to overreact. I'm underperforming because I've moved money in and out of the market at inopportune times. But it's apples to oranges to compare it index returns because I wouldn't have been all-in index stocks anyways. 
Everything I've ever heard from Buffet is to just put your money into SPY, never seen him recommend buying small and micro cap stocks. That would d surprise me since they're by far the riskiest and most volatile. 

Still think this market is insane, but i bought a decent chunk back in a couple weeks ago.   Still took a huge bath on my moves....   whatever

Everything I've ever heard from Buffet is to just put your money into SPY, never seen him recommend buying small and micro cap stocks. That would d surprise me since they're by far the riskiest and most volatile. 
That's what he's advised his wife and kids to do. 

My opinion is that is much more true in steady, rising markets, like the last decade or so through February. In turbulent markets, I believe an active investment in stocks will work better. 
I'd argue (and data supports) that it's even tougher during volatile markets. Being on the sideline when the market jumps quickly in a short period will cost you. Also, most people are good at the buying at a discount part but are terrible at deciding when to sell. 

I think everyone should be careful to recognize that this has NOT been a normal market lately. Tread carefully if you think you're suddenly smarter than people that do this for a living and STILL can't beat index funds over the long run. That bet that Buffet made covered one of the largest drops and subsequent run ups in history, yet the index fund still crushed hedge fund managers. 

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/investing/stocks/tempted-to-sell-missing-just-a-handful-of-the-best-stock-market-days-can-tank-your-returns/

I'd argue (and data supports) that it's even tougher during volatile markets. Being on the sideline when the market jumps quickly in a short period will cost you. Also, most people are good at the buying at a discount part but are terrible at deciding when to sell. 

I think everyone should be careful to recognize that this has NOT been a normal market lately. Tread carefully if you think you're suddenly smarter than people that do this for a living and STILL can't beat index funds over the long run. That bet that Buffet made covered one of the largest drops and subsequent run ups in history, yet the index fund still crushed hedge fund managers. 

https://www.thesimpledollar.com/investing/stocks/tempted-to-sell-missing-just-a-handful-of-the-best-stock-market-days-can-tank-your-returns/
Who said anything about being on the sideline? That's the mistake whether you are in indexes or individual stocks. 

Who said anything about being on the sideline? That's the mistake whether you are in indexes or individual stocks. 
When you time the market you are going to be on the sideline at some point. You have to sell in order to buy back and then time both exit and entry points successfully. 

AMZN 3000 here we come :drive:

Remember how long it took for a company to get to $1 trillion market cap?  MSFT and AMZN at at or above $1.5 trillion already :loco:

Well don't you think it's a bit ironic that one of the largest active managers recommends that? He says for the average investor to do that. You know, like the few folks who come in here looking for a hot tip? Or my doctor buddy who couldn't understand why a company would willingly go into debt? Buffett understands the influence he has and doesn't go around telling folks to buy the hot stock and lose their biscuit. I'll try to pull the quotes. I know Munger at least said it and I sort of assume they think alike. 

Users who are viewing this thread