What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (14 Viewers)

WYNN is down today. You still like that trade? Even MGM has Asian exposure. Need to look at valuation but pretty sure PENN is getting close to being as 'valuable' as WYNN. Seeing as how well the US is handling this, Japan is sending fans to baseball games whereas we won't have a season, it may make sense to buy some international gaming exposure. 
I do like Wynn still for the long term but I still think they have many brutal quarters ahead of them. I was originally looking to roll my PENN/MGM put profits into Wynn shares (ha!) but was hoping to buy in the 60's. My theory was correct on MGM and PENN but I held to long since my exit point was 10-12 for MGM and 22-25 for PENN. Didn't quite get there before the run lol. 

WYNN is down today. You still like that trade? Even MGM has Asian exposure. Need to look at valuation but pretty sure PENN is getting close to being as 'valuable' as WYNN. Seeing as how well the US is handling this, Japan is sending fans to baseball games whereas we won't have a season, it may make sense to buy some international gaming exposure. 
Also PENN is $6.5B and Wynn is $8B. Lol WTF. 

So XOM ex dividend date is august 12th.  Do they usually announce this date beforehand?

Also, last dividend question.  To receive that dividend do you need to be holding prior to that date or can you buy on that date?  What if you own it but then sell on that date.

TIA

Sold a FSLY put for two weeks out with strike of $80 and netted a $510 premium. Calling Bossman: nice ROI (about 6%) for a stock I wouldn't mind owning and with short window of time. Exactly what I look for when selling puts. 

So XOM ex dividend date is august 12th.  Do they usually announce this date beforehand?

Also, last dividend question.  To receive that dividend do you need to be holding prior to that date or can you buy on that date?  What if you own it but then sell on that date.

TIA
Every company always announces ex dividend date beforehand. All of them 100% of the time and it’s easy to find.

Buy day before ex date to get dividend, sell day after ex-date to keep dividend.

Sold 2/3 of my QQQ/SPY
Added Some GSG. 

Approx 20% of my main/trading RolleverIRA is a fade (SQQQ/SPXS), Crypto (GBTC/ETHE), Metals/Commodities (GOLD/GLDM/GSG)

@cosjobs Thoughts? I know this plays into your style. 

Every company always announces ex dividend date beforehand. All of them 100% of the time and it’s easy to find.

Buy day before ex date to get dividend, sell day after ex-date to keep dividend.
I believe you can sell the day of ex-date and keep the dividend.

I also believe that, on average, the stock price drops an amount commensurate with the payout of the dividend so that it is usually a near-zero transaction when all is said and done.
I waited for OKE to be in my profit price range after the Ex-date, and then I sold.  It only took a couple of days.  I like the stock, but I wanted to do something else with that money.

All told, for a two week stock hold, I will end up with about 5% gain.

This was trading at $4.18 when  I bought. They reported yesterday and were definitely impacted by COVID and the stock basically went sideways. I read the transcript of the conference call, though, and they announced two new major customers (not by name), including one they describe as a major logistics company and a large chain of specialty stores. I felt the whole thing was bullish and bought more after hours. 

Up 11.70% today on heavier than normal volume. I'm gonna hang on to this and add occasionally for the long term, seems like a very prudent management team.
OESX up around 3%, basically only thing working for me today except for NET and that looks like it wants to go red. 

NET is up around 5%-6%, basically the only one out of FSLY, DDOG, FTNT, AYX, etc. that reported earnings, beat numbers, and isn’t getting taken to the woodshed, though it didn’t have the same kind of run. Call was very bullish, doing a lot of hiring.
Yeah, I should have gotten into this instead of FSLY at $90. Oof. I can't imagine FSLY tanking much more, unless it's with the overall market.

Unloaded my TZA for losses of 16.68% and 26.91%. Donked off 2/3 of my trading profits for the year. Still have a lot to learn, but profiting on six of my first ten trades isn't terrible.

I'll be over here in the corner, wasted and mumbling to myself.

In RFLMAO at $0.55 and just set a stop-loss order to sell at $0.65, what, ten minutes later.  I'll take a quick $200 any day and everyday. 
What's this?  "Rolling on the floor, laughing my ### off" is something I could have been investing in?  Whoever goes public with poop and fart jokes I'm going all in on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Where you all buying or thinking about buying more rlftf? I was thinking .50 if it gets there. 
I had that order in yesterday.  I didn't think it would get there today, but it did come within a nickel of it.

Today I bought more at .62.  Was thinking to unload at .78, but missed the opportunity.  If it follows the afternoon trend of moving up, then I might still have my chance today.

Not buying more.  (today)

What's this?  "Rolling on the floor, laughing my ### off" is something I could have been investing in?  Whoever goes public with poop and fart jokes I'm going all in on!
All in the poop!

Bought some more SE and LRNZ with the "correction"

Want to add to my okta position at some point.  Earnings 27th.  With all this wfh I'd imagine like all other tech they will do great.  They have a great product with their single sign on, and I'd imagine many companies are implementing it.  I would have at least 7-8 different passwords at my employer if they didn't use it.

Getting hammered today. I only own Apple, amazon, and FSLY in my individual account. Not a good day. 
I think at this point most of us are pretty heavy in tech and tech is getting slaughtered today.

AAPL, FSLY, SE are three of my biggest holdings so I'm right there with you.

I'm all the way back down to my cost basis on FSLY.  Didn't think I was going to have to worry about going red on that stock for a long time.

Thinking of scooping some TDOC here, but I'm scared this is the start of a rotation out of tech.  CV19 case numbers have been going down.

Want to add to my okta position at some point.  Earnings 27th.  With all this wfh I'd imagine like all other tech they will do great.  They have a great product with their single sign on, and I'd imagine many companies are implementing it.  I would have at least 7-8 different passwords at my employer if they didn't use it.
Doing great on earnings has not necessarily translated to positive moves in stock price lately.

Getting hammered today. I only own Apple, amazon, and FSLY in my individual account. Not a good day. 
I own FSLY, AMZN, DDOG and AYX. I’m getting creamed but it’s all relative. Still way up on all. Only AYX is where I’m up less than 100%.

It happens. This happened in early July too and they had blown up at the end of July.

Crazy that stocks with terrible quarters are doing way better, but nothing moves slowly these days. If they get battered then you get a little bit better discount from what they will be 5 years from now.

Don’t worry if you like the companies. High flyers tend to have lots of 10-20% drops on the way up. The dangerous part is jumping out and missing a pop. FSLY and TWLO went up 40% in one day after Q1 earnings reports. You step out of a stock on the way down you could potentially miss a huge day.

Doing great on earnings has not necessarily translated to positive moves in stock price lately.
Agreed. Good earnings just last week was a 10-15% gain. I bought NVCR, INSP and KNSL before earnings. All of them popped 10-20%. One week later and their same reports would likely not be the same pop.

I mentioned this earlier today, but ROKU has solid Q1 and Q2 earnings. Both times the stock went down because they were cautious about the future and tried not to be too optimistic. In May, after earnings it went from $137 down to $110. It went to almost $170, dropped about 10% since earnings on Wednesday.

You sometimes have to ignore the earnings noise. The terrible reaction after the Q1 beat due to the caution about future ad spend got flushed during the run from $110 to $170. This too shall pass. 😉 

Users who are viewing this thread