What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (20 Viewers)

Not yet. I do wonder what’s going on with FLGT though, up almost 20% today on no news. Great earnings a week or two ago but it ran up already. Not complaining just wondering.
Thanks for the heads up. Just sold off 50% so it Should run again now. Bought that batch on Friday so it was a nice game over the weekend

So what happens when college football is cancelled/postponed this week?  These “reopening plays” take a hit, or is that just to logical for this market?
college football is a relatively small portion of the overall handle...NFL would be a killer on the other hand...it is the handle for most books.

SFBayDuck said:
Took a position in DPHC (SPAC merging with Lordstown Motors) at $12.13.  Friend of mine who is an evangelist/blogger in the electric vehicle industry was talking about Lordstown Motors the other day, and said of the three taking the SPAC route (Nikkola and Fisker being the others) Lordstown seems the most solid with an actual factory and truck under development.

Already dipped a toe in NKLA last week, looking to build out a few positions in EVs, renewable energy, solar, etc.  
Nice run for NKLA, up 20% today and 30% since I bought it on the dip after earnings.  Wish I had done more than "dipped a toe". 

They announced an order for 2,500 electric garbage trucks today, glad to see the mob is thinking about the health of the planet. 

Hope everyone is enjoying my boring PPL utility. What this shows....is buying stocks is as much about what you pay for it as well as what you are buying. 

I love Disney.....would never pay these prices for it right now. Nope. Knowing what the fundamentals look like right now and looking forward thru year end. It is simply over priced. Like way over priced for my taste. I can wait when it goes on sale. And make no mistake....it will go on sale again.

Valuations are everything to me when I look at stocks. I am a traditional bottom up stock picker. I rarely look at charts, trends. I am all about fundamentals, dividends and value. 

Yeah....not sexy....not like some of the whiz kid technical traders of today.....but we get her done. The old fashioned way. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope everyone is enjoying my boring PPL utility. What this shows....is buying stocks is as much at what you pay for it. 

Valuations are everything to me when I look at stocks. I am a traditional bottom up stock picker. I rarely look at charts, trends. I am all about fundamentals, dividends and value. 

Yeah....not sexy....not like some of the whiz kid technical traders of today.....but we get her done. The old fashioned way. 
So what’s next?

Hope everyone is enjoying my boring PPL utility. What this shows....is buying stocks is as much about what you pay for it as well as what you are buying. 

I love Disney.....would never pay these prices for it right now. Nope. Knowing what the fundamentals look like right now and looking forward thru year end. It is simply over priced. Like way over priced for my taste. I can wait when it goes on sale. And make no mistake....it will go on sale again.

I was hoping to get one more tranche at a low price, but it looks like I hit my exposure thanks to this thing growing in value...

I am all about fundamentals, dividends and value. 
So I am a total noob at this. Are there some key metrics that you look at when determining what you want to get into? I honestly have no idea what to look for when I'm researching this stuff. 

I never had anyone to teach me this stuff, and what I've learned has been from this thread in the last couple of months. I've always been a "put the money in a fund recommended by the 401k company" and left it alone.

But I need to be better on top of these as I move toward my 60's. (I'm 50 now).

Teach me Todem-Wan Kenobi. Show me The Force. 

Absolutely. Wish I would have made it 12% of my portfolio instead of 1.2%

Alteryx (AYX) is down 40%, including almost 10% today.   In April I bought it at 117 and was kicking myself for selling at 131 as I watched it climb to 177 -- anyone have any insight on why it continues to be hammered?   Does it become a buy at this level?  I did not anything in their results announcement worthy of a 40% drop.

Alteryx (AYX) is down 40%, including almost 10% today.   In April I bought it at 117 and was kicking myself for selling at 131 as I watched it climb to 177 -- anyone have any insight on why it continues to be hammered?   Does it become a buy at this level?  I did not anything in their results announcement worthy of a 40% drop.
They announced at the wrong time. My cost is around $100. It probably wasn’t worth the peak $185 this year but definitely think it’s oversold now. I’m just holding on for a few years. The drop was sudden and more than I thought but at this point I’m not selling. I made the mistake of selling off some of my TWLO and TTD too early, don’t want to do that again.

That said, I’m not a real active trader. I feel like a dinosaur wanting to hold on for a while because it’s a RH world right now.

I got a pretty good sized chunk of this in the 24's, average cost when I sold and re-bought has averaged down now into the 23's.  Wish I had more but that's always a good thing.  Appreciate the heads up on this one.  The current plan is just to let it pay me that huge yield indefinitely.

They announced at the wrong time. My cost is around $100. It probably wasn’t worth the peak $185 this year but definitely think it’s oversold now. I’m just holding on for a few years. The drop was sudden and more than I thought but at this point I’m not selling. I made the mistake of selling off some of my TWLO and TTD too early, don’t want to do that again.

That said, I’m not a real active trader. I feel like a dinosaur wanting to hold on for a while because it’s a RH world right now.
The latest quarter's performance - and most jarring of all, its outlook and commentary for the coming quarters - puts Alteryx solidly in the penalty box. This is a company that was once posting accelerating revenues despite an already-blistering growth pace - but now, the coronavirus has caused IT departments to reshuffle priorities to support remote work, while ambitious (and expensive) infrastructure products like Alteryx are put on pause. Management's outlook for the rest of the year is bleak, and sounds off a very cautious tone relative to many other software companies who have reported that revenue growth and billings growth had begun to normalize by the end of June.

Most frightening of all is that Alteryx's guidance for the third quarter calls just just 7-11% y/y growth - a stark fall from grace for a company that was as recently as last year growing north of 70% y/y:

Oh, I’m not saying that AYX isn’t getting hit by companies not spending money. They are. They aren’t a ZM where CV has helped them but they are down from 185 to 109 on 7-11% revenue growth (which wasn’t unknown, they beat this quarter with 17%). That said PENN hit an ATH in the morning with a 90% revenue drop and RCL is down from it’s high not much more than AYX (135 to 60) with a revenue drop of 93%.

AYX had been one of my worst performers all year until the run up, but the timing of the shift away from tech really hurt them. You can point to the numbers but their growth in very difficult times is way better than some of the stocks doing well lately and their growth will come back strong when things are back to normal. They are a solid long term hold IMHO.

Oh, I’m not saying that AYX isn’t getting hit by companies not spending money. They are. They aren’t a ZM where CV has helped them but they are down from 185 to 109 on 7-11% revenue growth (which wasn’t unknown, they beat this quarter with 17%). That said PENN hit an ATH in the morning with a 90% revenue drop and RCL is down from it’s high not much more than AYX (135 to 60) with a revenue drop of 93%.

AYX had been one of my worst performers all year until the run up, but the timing of the shift away from tech really hurt them. You can point to the numbers but their growth in very difficult times is way better than some of the stocks doing well lately and their growth will come back strong when things are back to normal. They are a solid long term hold IMHO.
Not that they are the end all, but Seeking Alpha is saying don't buy on the dip.  Would you recommend stepping in here for a share or two as a starter position or are those funds better off earmarked for Amazon?

I should follow you on this, but I'm a little too stubborn.
I just need to simplify all of this.  I've spent way too much time over the past 3 months looking at accounts and tickers.  After this transaction, I'm down to 4 funds in my IRAs and 401k.   I'll continue my Ford move that I have researched for the past couple months, but that should be over by October at the latest.  Then it is just the 2 shares of Disney for my  son. 

Trying to optimize these transactions is causing me too much anxiety.  I have my AA, and I'll only look when it is time to rebalance.

Sold off 25% of my MFA for a 35% gain.  Been sitting on that for almost two months.  

Not that they are the end all, but Seeking Alpha is saying don't buy on the dip.  Would you recommend stepping in here for a share or two as a starter position or are those funds better off earmarked for Amazon?
I’m just hanging on to what I have. I’d feel safer in Amazon but I think AYX has higher upside. The reason they dropped revenue growth is CV related. They are more of an enterprise software than a pure cloud play so they don’t benefit as much from companies going WFH and quite honestly hunkering down. You could probably wait a bit and catch them on the way back up. It’s a <1% position for me. FLGT is about 1.5% and AMZN dwarfs both of them by a lot.

Also, with some of these high growth stocks you have to figure that if companies are holding off, there’s could be a great quarter when that pent up demand happens. TWLO comes to mind, had a couple decent growth quarters but not great and then it’s Q1 was great and it was up 40% in one day. You have to be careful because I’ve had a lot of 15-40% up days this year. You miss that one day and you can miss the bulk of returns that year.

They have some kind of exposure to PG&E, right?  I didn't dream that? 'Cause I have in the back of my mind, "This is all well and good until PG&E torches another town."

Man, I can't complain but it feels really weird to finally today be at an all time high for both overall net worth and investments. Like a house of cards, ready to collapse. 

I don't give in to fear often but this just feels like playing with 🔥

Man, I can't complain but it feels really weird to finally today be at an all time high for both overall net worth and investments. Like a house of cards, ready to collapse. 

I’m a bit off the highs of last week. It definitely felt way too good but outside of AYX (only 17% growth) and some of the SPACs/biotechs without real reports yet, everything has been still growing very well which in this environment feels safer. I don’t care about rotation. I’d feel way less safe with a stock running up and it’s revenue is down 93% and there’s still legitimate bankruptcy concerns. My largest holding is still AMZN so feel good about that.

Yup...I hit that today by the narrowest of margins.  The previous high was whatever date CYDY closed up the most.  

Up 53% YTD.  My prior 5 years in set in and forget mutual funds and don't market time mode was 49%.  

I’m a bit off the highs of last week. It definitely felt way too good but outside of AYX (only 17% growth) and some of the SPACs/biotechs without real reports yet, everything has been still growing very well which in this environment feels safer. I don’t care about rotation. I’d feel way less safe with a stock running up and it’s revenue is down 93% and there’s still legitimate bankruptcy concerns. My largest holding is still AMZN so feel good about that.
I wasn't feeling good about Amazon growth wise a month ago, but now I do.  I may work towards a 20-25% weighting.  We are just about back to pre-earnings levels.

Yup...I hit that today by the narrowest of margins.  The previous high was whatever date CYDY closed up the most.  

Up 53% YTD.  My prior 5 years in set in and forget mutual funds and don't market time mode was 49%.  
Think I am at 65%. Amz, cydy and had a big hit on Tesla back in February. Wild year. 

I wasn't feeling good about Amazon growth wise a month ago, but now I do.  I may work towards a 20-25% weighting.  We are just about back to pre-earnings levels.
You weren’t? Q1, they grew 20-25%. I think they did it again this quarter. That’s with AWS slowing a bit. IT spending is down a bit even for the high growth companies. It just means that as shocking as it sounds there could be pent up demand for some of these companies that are still growing well.

Nice, man!  I know I'm at all time highs but hard to measure exactly since a lot of my net worth is tied into land.  Low assessed value, cheap on property taxes, but can be subdivided and is buildable.  Can't complain on investments either.  Huge jump from CYDY alone, and many good tips here.  Biggest thing for me this year was making sure the Roths get maxed, upping the TSP and getting thrifty with living so I could pump more into my cash/other IRA accounts each month.  I'm not a rich guy.  Been living comfortable, but I really kicked it up a gear in "paying myself".  

You weren’t? Q1, they grew 20-25%. I think they did it again this quarter. That’s with AWS slowing a bit. IT spending is down a bit even for the high growth companies. It just means that as shocking as it sounds there could be pent up demand for some of these companies that are still growing well.
I wasn't expecting $10.30 a share beating the $1.46 consensus.  Sales were up, but only 15% over Q1 and about the same as Q4.  They finally have demonstrate they have built a cash machine.  Should only get better as sales volume grows.  I thought the stock price was reflecting something in the $3-$5 eps.

Think I am at 65%. Amz, cydy and had a big hit on Tesla back in February. Wild year. 
I’m a little over 60% even with the haircuts I’ve taken the past week. I think I was at almost 70% and that’s for the bulk of my entire portfolio, not just a side account.

I’m starting to think that even though it’s gone well I’ve got a wee bit too much risk, not sure. Might need to trim down and add some other stocks. Still have a good chunk of cash and need to roll over an old 401k to fund some more buys. Goal wise, retirement would be fantastic if I could double my portfolio in 10 years. That’s a 7% return without taking into account 401k contributions from my wife and I that right now are maxed out. That’ll be gravy.

I wasn't expecting $10.30 a share beating the $1.46 consensus.  Sales were up, but only 15% over Q1 and about the same as Q4.  They finally have demonstrate they have built a cash machine.  Should only get better as sales volume grows.  I thought the stock price was reflecting something in the $3-$5 eps.
15% over Q1 is huge when Q1 was huge. Also, don’t forget that Q4 is always the biggest quarter for Amazon, so having a normally slow quarter like Q2 be the same as the holiday quarter means it was a huge quarter.

They’ve always been a cash machine. That’s why the P/E ratio is almost a bad indicator. They made $10 per share even though they still were investing heavily in shipping improvements and CV prep.

I know I’m a fan but when people in here mentioned P/E, I knew they didn’t realize how many billions they are still investing for future growth. This quarter was so good that they basically made way more than they could invest.

I’m a little over 60% even with the haircuts I’ve taken the past week. I think I was at almost 70% and that’s for the bulk of my entire portfolio, not just a side account.

I’m starting to think that even though it’s gone well I’ve got a wee bit too much risk, not sure. Might need to trim down and add some other stocks. Still have a good chunk of cash and need to roll over an old 401k to fund some more buys. Goal wise, retirement would be fantastic if I could double my portfolio in 10 years. That’s a 7% return without taking into account 401k contributions from my wife and I that right now are maxed out. That’ll be gravy.
Based on this, you may not need to trim down.

The only reason I would trim down would be to add some cash.  There's not much left out the at a discount that isn't at risk of going belly up.

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/?symbol=CAH&qsearchterm=cah&tab=financials

Could someone please look at the financials of Cardinal health and let me know what's going on.  I don't understand how they show positive earnings per share and then the PE is negative.  I also don't understand all the negative numbers on the net income line.

Analysts love this stock.  Dividend is 3.7%.  
Only thing I know about Cardinal Health is that they were a big time vendor for the VA when I worked for them.  Ridiculous number of purchase orders and that was for just one hospital.   

Well ####, you all are rocking it and here I am happy to be up a measly 20% these last 90 days. Barely up on the year. :kicksrock:

Fidelity shows negative EPS

Earnings Per Share

All numbers in US Dollars (excluding shares)

2020 (06/30/20)

Earnings per Share – Basic Including Extraordinary Items (12.61)

Earnings per Share from Operations – Diluted 3.79

August 6, 2020

Cardinal Health (NYSE: CAH) today reported fourth quarter fiscal year 2020... GAAP operating earnings were $270 million and non-GAAP operating earnings were $442 in the quarter GAAP diluted earnings per share (EPS) were $2.23, which included a pre-tax gain of $579 million related to the divestiture of a minority equity interest. Fourth quarter non-GAAP diluted EPS were $1.04.

Fiscal 2020 GAAP operating loss of $4.1 billion includes a $5.6 billion accrual in the first quarter related to opioid litigation. Non-GAAP operating earnings were $2.4 billion for the year. GAAP diluted loss per share for fiscal year 2020 was $12.61, while non-GAAP diluted EPS were $5.45.

Users who are viewing this thread