What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (19 Viewers)

Don't think I'm buying anything until post-election. Might sell a bunch of non-core stuff. There's .1%  chance Trump concedes if he loses, and the market's not going to like that.
Haven’t dipped my toe in yet. The earnings so far have been solid but clearly the market ran up so they aren’t being met with pops. That said some of my interests aren’t the giants so a really good earnings could miss a big pop. I think I’ll just add a little depending on TWLO and others tonight and tomorrow.

It's interesting to see, "Market sells off amid Covid concerns" headlines alongside selloffs in companies trying to treat Covid.
Not surprising to me. If you add up all the billions in market cap of all of the companies including vaccines and realize that many of them will be almost worthless in a year, there’s room to drop. Some will make it but when you get something like BVXV fail their trial and realize there’s nothing else in their pipeline, they could implode.

Side note, look at DSS today. Up 60% with a $32M market cap. Look at the description of their company:

Document Security Systems, Inc. (“DSS” or the “Company”) (NYSE American: DSS), a multinational company operating businesses focusing on brand protection technology, blockchain security, direct marketing, healthcare, real estate, and securitized digital assets, today announced its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2020.

That’s a lot of buzzwords for a $32M company. Their PR is a lalapalooza of stuff including two different subsidiaries working in COVID. 5 different subsidiaries mentioned. Somehow earned more this quarter than their revenue. Their chairman sold shares through a subsidiary above market. The raised $10M in an offering in July when that was about 1/3 of entire market cap. 50% dilution, not bad at all. I’m just glad these guys are protecting our blockchain security while protecting us from COVID at the same time. Lord only knows how juiced those books are.

Not surprising to me. If you add up all the billions in market cap of all of the companies including vaccines and realize that many of them will be almost worthless in a year, there’s room to drop. Some will make it but when you get something like BVXV fail their trial and realize there’s nothing else in their pipeline, they could implode.

Side note, look at DSS today. Up 60% with a $32M market cap. Look at the description of their company:

Document Security Systems, Inc. (“DSS” or the “Company”) (NYSE American: DSS), a multinational company operating businesses focusing on brand protection technology, blockchain security, direct marketing, healthcare, real estate, and securitized digital assets, today announced its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2020.

That’s a lot of buzzwords for a $32M company. Their PR is a lalapalooza of stuff including two different subsidiaries working in COVID. 5 different subsidiaries mentioned. Somehow earned more this quarter than their revenue. Their chairman sold shares through a subsidiary above market. The raised $10M in an offering in July when that was about 1/3 of entire market cap. 50% dilution, not bad at all. I’m just glad these guys are protecting our blockchain security while protecting us from COVID at the same time. Lord only knows how juiced those books are.
Hey, blockchain security might cure COVID!

Bought a few things before the bell. Not full shares so more down turns keep DCAing. Still plenty of cash left and plenty of things to potentially sell.

Well, as I was thinking, should continue to be some more deals. TWLO met earnings (loss of $.04, which is almost meaningless), but beat revenue estimates by over 10% ($448M, estimate of $407) and the stock is down AHs.

Market does not care about beats. DXCM down 7% because their chief commercial officer (who cares?) is retiring and then beat revenue by $26M ($500M compared to $474 estimates). That was their pre-announcement as the full earnings call is tomorrow. I think it was more of a send off to a guy who’d been there for many years.

I mean having decent growth estimates and beating those by 6-10% is usually a good thing. Definitely tells you what the market sentiment is.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the tower companies in general. Have a bunch of AMT. Any new wireless technology allows them to charge more or retrofit better/more expensive equipment on the towers. It also makes wireless reach more and more parts of the world, which leads to more customers for the networks and more revenue for the tower companies. 

I could get out of UVXY with a small profit, but I didn't get into UVXY for a small profit.

(This will probably go on my headstone)

I’d say XLNX but with the news of the AMD buy official this morning that ship has sailed. In here we discussed IPHI and VIAV. I also mentioned XLNX before when the rumor of the AMD buy came out.

@Bob Sacamano You were the big AMD fan in here and TDOC as well, right? I’ll own plenty of both soon and never bought a share. 
As I recall, he was a fan of TDOC and DOCU. He never owned AMD, but he watchlisted them for a bit. 

So here's a question for you seasoned stock fellers:

Supposed you buy an OTC stock for pennies, and let's say you buy 100,000 shares of it.  By some miracle the stock hits $11 a share after 3 months or so. So at that moment, on paper you have $1,100,000.

Do you hold on for a year, gambling on that it stays there to lessen your capital gains, or do you sell it and pay the short term tax? 

For the record, I am NOT in this position, but just curious on the off chance this would ever happen. I would sell at $11, by the way. 

I think.

edit to add: this stock is an a brokerage account

Last edited by a moderator:

Supposed you buy an OTC stock for pennies, and let's say you buy 100,000 shares of it.  By some miracle the stock hits $11 a share after 3 months or so. So at that moment, on paper you have $1,100,000.

Do you hold on for a year, gambling on that it stays there to lessen your capital gains, or do you sell it and pay the short term tax? 

For the record, I am NOT in this position, but just curious on the off chance this would ever happen. I would sell at $11, by the way. 

I think.

Sell.  Paying short term capital gains tax is cheap compared to the losses from the stock plummeting.

I think.

I sell and celebrate while writing the IRS a check.  

I think.

Sell, no question.

I think.

I sell it faster than you can say shovel.

How does that work? Why would they make that call?
I don't understand it.  I have a limited margin account.  There's more cash in it than the amount of the margin call.  My main problem is that anytime I buy something new Fidelity defaults to a margin purchase (versus a cash purchase if I'm adding shares) and I often forget to change it.  I have no idea what my limited margin amount is.  All I know is that it's allowed to to day trade more often with fewer warnings.  I guess I could call them to find out if I want to sit on hold for 30 minutes.

I'm aggressively adding CVS today.  This has Target of 3 months ago written all over it IMO.  Worse case I collect a 3.4% dividend.

Selling my Singapore airlines for an 8% gain.  Been sitting on that for 3 months.  

Anyone else's RIDE breakdown?
Damn. That and NWBO are just depressing. Should have bailed on both with 20-25% gains.

I’d say for the most part that unless you get in really early, most of the risky recommendations (not AMZN or real companies with real revenue) aren’t money makers. Don’t cry for me, I’m still way up on all those risky plays/IPO fun because the winners like CYDY, LSF and others more than make up for the others.

I’m so far from a short trader so I don’t have that bail with a smaller profit mentality but I need to build that while still maintaining the long looks.

For short trades, so you guys put in sell limit orders as soon as you buy? Maybe I should do that for these stocks I don’t have true conviction on yet. I’ll ride them just for fun to see where they go.

I think.

Sell immediately

Sell immediately
And really, that was my other point in the CYDY about lessons. Making anything above 6-8x on an OTC stock is amazing. The probability that it will go to 2000-3000x if you hold long term is very, very small. So if you had CYDY at say $.60 a share, you should have sold above $6 a share, IMHO. 

Users who are viewing this thread