What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (26 Viewers)

So Marketwatch is writing articles about what one random guy from r/wallstreetbets is doing? 
Was thinking the same thing, lol.

The sad part is that that’s today’s market. It does make me a bit more scared. Like LAZR above, these stocks are moving not of fundamentals or real news just YOLO and FOMO.

Motley Fool has been fantastic for me, but it is absolutely a long term buy and hold solution. I’ve traded a bunch of things based on discussions in here but outside of CYDY (mainly because it went up so much), none of that has been a big part of my overall portfolio. In fact, I wish I listened to them more when they recommended stuff like FVRR and LVGO back in the 20s and SE in the 30s. No idea if they will continue their torrid returns of the past couple years (wish I started in 2018 instead of 2019 and jumped all in), but if you want more of a set it and forget it portfolio they are great. I know people get annoyed by their ads but I loved their portfolios which aren’t the stocks mentioned in the ads. I bought their Next Gen Supercycle 5G back in June and I’m up probably 40% on a nice chunk I wanted to invest. I’ve ignored a lot of things they’ve sent me mainly because you kind of need a good chunk of new cash to invest and make the fees worth They do have cheaper Stock Advisor and Rule Breakers, which are often things they’ve given me in the targeted ones. They also do blast off portfolios at the start of each year and they’ve been pretty solid. I don’t know exactly what I’ve spent with them, not a small amount, but the ROIs are ridiculous. The 5G one was $1400 and I liked it because it was almost all new stocks and stuff that would benefit like SQ at $82 (SMH, I dove more into the pure 5G plays). I’ve made more than 30x that fee so it was well worth it since I had cash and wanted to diversify.

I am kind of looking for a new one as my cash position is pretty high.
I did just add Rule Breakers. I have liked MF so far as they have a lot of info on the companies they cover. Outside of the picks themselves, the podcasts are pretty good too and those are free. Like you say, the only downside has been counting the profits you could have made if you took their advice sooner or invested more in them.

SMH. Damn. Never know when the rocket ship will start its descent.
They held back an OEM announcement until after the merger. Have to believe this is buying on that rumor. I've heard everyone from Nio to Toyota. If someone like Toyota, this could have legs after the announcement. Having OEM production contracts from Volvo, Daimler and Toyota would be a huge start for them

@BassNBrew and anyone else that’s interested there’s a new Motley Fool service (money.fool.com) that has a presentation tomorrow for a new service on Fintech’s like SQ (bought some at $150, should have bought earlier) and STNE (a Buffet stock I bought back in August, nice 50% pop so far). I’ve got a nice stockpile of cash I wouldn’t mind deploying so I can spend less time looking at every SPAC in the world. If anyone is interested I’d be up for splitting the cost. I’d be happy to make the purchase if people want to Venmo me. I usually get discounts since I’ve purchased a lot. Even 4 people would make it likely $3-500 a piece.

They held back an OEM announcement until after the merger. Have to believe this is buying on that rumor. I've heard everyone from Nio to Toyota. If someone like Toyota, this could have legs after the announcement. Having OEM production contracts from Volvo, Daimler and Toyota would be a huge start for them
Interesting. They definitely need more deals. If my numbers are correct, their market cap is now over $14B. That’s a lot IMHO for an automotive supplier. Quick back of the napkin math for a future (car sales aren’t large % changes YoY) P/S of say 3 when sales are more mature means 5 million sensor packs a year at $1000. One would think that price will halve with bigger deals and manufacturing improvements so maybe 5-10 millions sensor packs a year to get to $5B a year sales. Maybe the P/S is bigger but again as they get the penetration their sales is more based on car sales increases in general. US car sales are about 17 million a year so they’d have to grab a good chunk of that (how much will be self driving?) and get into international.

I’d be a bit worried about the cap figure now, especially considering Tesla doesn’t like the tech and there are likely to be competing products that are more camera based. Their laser based is more for the highway type driving (cruise control type) and logistics/long haul types not for reading signs, lines and traffic lights.

I’m happy with the gain, wish I waited a day but still well more than doubled. I wouldn’t buy it now. It’s no SNOW but the price is already got the rosy outlook built in.

Take TRCH for example. Huge day 37%. But it’s a 50 cent stock. If you can buy 6k worth and sell it for 60 cents that’s a decent gain
How did you even know about it until it popped? Finding these types of things before they pop is hard. Penny stocks also go out of business fast. There’s been a lot of pump and dumps this year.

That said, small cap stocks based on market cap do tend to have higher returns historically but again small cap <> penny stock.

Good luck, but chasing big pops is like finding a needle in a haystack. That’s why a bunch of us liked those SPACs. If they never find a merger you get back almost you entire investment depending on how close to the starting price you bought in and then it becomes an IPO basically when the merger is announced. It’s gotten a bit crazy in some, definitely are going to be losers long term but it’s a less risky way to play smaller companies and get good pops.

Good luck, but I’d work on building up a nice portfolio first and then allocate a gambling amount if you want to take fliers. Fliers as a full investment strategy is likely not going to end well. Last not is do not look at the price of a stock to determine anything. Two stocks mentioned in this thread a ton, CYDY and HGEN. CYDY is a $2 stock and HGEN is almost $10. CYDY has a much bigger market cap meaning that company is worth more. Price is meaningless, just a factor of how many shares the company has. Typically low low prices will be smaller companies but once you get above $10 a share, the price is an indicator of nothing.

@BassNBrew and anyone else that’s interested there’s a new Motley Fool service (money.fool.com) that has a presentation tomorrow for a new service on Fintech’s like SQ (bought some at $150, should have bought earlier) and STNE (a Buffet stock I bought back in August, nice 50% pop so far). I’ve got a nice stockpile of cash I wouldn’t mind deploying so I can spend less time looking at every SPAC in the world. If anyone is interested I’d be up for splitting the cost. I’d be happy to make the purchase if people want to Venmo me. I usually get discounts since I’ve purchased a lot. Even 4 people would make it likely $3-500 a piece.
Another downside is that they spam you with these advertisements for more expensive services all the damn time. All the time.

That said, they're interesting ads and I'm selling my rental soon so I may be in on this :oldunsure:  

How did you even know about it until it popped? Finding these types of things before they pop is hard. Penny stocks also go out of business fast. There’s been a lot of pump and dumps this year.

That said, small cap stocks based on market cap do tend to have higher returns historically but again small cap <> penny stock.

Good luck, but chasing big pops is like finding a needle in a haystack. That’s why a bunch of us liked those SPACs. If they never find a merger you get back almost you entire investment depending on how close to the starting price you bought in and then it becomes an IPO basically when the merger is announced. It’s gotten a bit crazy in some, definitely are going to be losers long term but it’s a less risky way to play smaller companies and get good pops.

Good luck, but I’d work on building up a nice portfolio first and then allocate a gambling amount if you want to take fliers. Fliers as a full investment strategy is likely not going to end well. Last not is do not look at the price of a stock to determine anything. Two stocks mentioned in this thread a ton, CYDY and HGEN. CYDY is a $2 stock and HGEN is almost $10. CYDY has a much bigger market cap meaning that company is worth more. Price is meaningless, just a factor of how many shares the company has. Typically low low prices will be smaller companies but once you get above $10 a share, the price is an indicator of nothing.
I ran a sink or swim algo last week and been watching since

thanks for the info !

Last edited by a moderator:
Another downside is that they spam you with these advertisements for more expensive services all the damn time. All the time.

That said, they're interesting ads and I'm selling my rental soon so I may be in on this :oldunsure:  
Yep, I don’t mind the spam. Even if I just watch for 1-3 picks, I like getting their general thoughts on a sector. If I’m not interested I just ignore it. My biggest thing is getting more “good” recs. I mean honestly in here we should be pretty impressed by the returns from the recs in here, but I like their picks because you feel like they’ve done the proper vetting and are looking 5 years down the road not just what’s hot this week.

Let me know if you are interested. I’ll watch the demo but I wouldn’t mind splitting the costs if people are interested.

I'm not getting in yet, mostly due to no cash.  But Keep an eye on

NASDAQ: LESL

There is a chlorine shortage and The prices have gone up and I don't think they will come down.

They went public this year and the stock has been down.  I'm undecided 

925 locations

$20.15 as of 12/07/20

trouble began early Thursday at a BioLab plant that manufacturers chlorine for swimming pools

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate-environment/2020/08/27/hurricane-laura-fire-biolab/

Started a position in CGRO warratns symbol CGROW a they are taking Israel based Innoviz public.  Innoviz is a LIDAR sector company.
Nikola introduced me to SPACS but only issue have to keep money locked up for a good period of time to really reap the benefits.

I hold warrants of East Stone Acquistion Corp symbol ESSCW at .29 cents

I also hold shares and warrants of Apex Technology Acquisiton Corp taking AvePoint public symbols are APXT/APXTW (14.40/share price and 3.54 warrant price are my cost basis)

Hold warrants in AMCI Acquisition Corporation taking Advent Technologies public symbol AMCIW hold warrants at 1.07

I am also looking at Interprivate Acquisition (IPV) to take another Lidar company public called Adeva

I am also looking at VGAC VG Acquistion Corp headed by Richard Branson

Watching Bridgetown Holdings symbol BTWN which is Peter Thiel's latest SPAC

Started a position in CGRO warratns symbol CGROW a they are taking Israel based Innoviz public.  Innoviz is a LIDAR sector company.
Nikola introduced me to SPACS but only issue have to keep money locked up for a good period of time to really reap the benefits.

I also hold shares and warrants of Apex Technology Acquisiton Corp taking AvePoint public symbols are APXT/APXTW (14.40/share price and 3.54 warrant price are my cost basis)

Hold warrants in AMCI Acquisition Corporation taking Advent Technologies public symbol AMCIW hold warrants at 1.07

I am also looking at Interprivate Acquisition (IPV) to take another Lidar company public called Adeva

:thumbup:

Down 55% today.  I wonder when is a good time to catch the knife

Flipped some cydy for a $5.25 gain.  5 minutes closer to retirement :lol:  I don’t know why I get such a rush trading this dog. Every time I buy I immediately have buyers remorse and can’t wait to dump it. 

It was a spactacular  day across the board for most spacs 
I think IPOB was due to them saying that it will transition to a new symbol on 12/21. This market isn’t quite rational and right now symbol changes mean pops so that’s pretty much the reason.

Down 55% today.  I wonder when is a good time to catch the knife
I don’t think it was really down. It’s a 1 day chart. Maybe the last trade for an old company that used to have that symbol. The BTWNU shares went up today.

Kind of funny with my back of the napkin reasoning why LAZR is overvalued and then two posts right above mentioning two more SPACs bringing LIDAR companies public. There’s also another one that popped earlier this year and is now popping again, VLDR, that was an SPAC. The EV/smart car space is jam packed with LIDAR companies that are probably worth about 40% of GM now and those are only the 4 I know about.

Kind of funny with my back of the napkin reasoning why LAZR is overvalued and then two posts right above mentioning two more SPACs bringing LIDAR companies public. There’s also another one that popped earlier this year and is now popping again, VLDR, that was an SPAC. The EV/smart car space is jam packed with LIDAR companies that are probably worth about 40% of GM now and those are only the 4 I know about.
Isnt mobile eye supposed to be "the one"?

https://newsroom.intel.com/press-kits/autonomous-driving-intel/#gs.mxpfv7

My buddy is building his own analysis tool to monitor Reddit trading forms. He's taking into considering the timing and velocity of "up votes" and comparing that against the reputation of the poster. He just told me about it on Friday, so I'm curious to see how his test plays out.

I have a weird system of finding winners and suprisingly works pretty good not great but good.  I also have to use willpower which means no trading between 9:30 and 10:30 because it is alot of momentum trading.  I look at Yahoo's trending tickets at 10:30 and see what is on there list with abnormally high volume compared to the Average volume number.  Then I comprise a list of 5 stocks and evaluate and make a purchase at 11AM and then I hope it pans out.  It is all speculation. 

Is the best bet just buying day one or is there any other realistic way to get in at IPO pricing?
If you plan on being it in the long run, I'm going to dollar cost average buy a little once a day for the first week and then a little more each week for the first 2-3 months.  

Users who are viewing this thread