Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flying Spaghetti Monster

The hardest levels in video game history

Twisted Metal 2 New York rooftops. I played that for weeks and would get down to the last enemy only to drive off the edge to my death. I broke a controller in rage.

Who did you play with? If it was anybody with alot of speed it usually ended badly.

I never beat Zelda. I was really young, and this was before you could look stuff up on the net. I just couldn't figure it out. I downloaded it a few years ago with the intention to finally beat it but got bored after about five minutes. Amazing how far we progressed.

Beat it a couple times. Not that hard just takes time.Agree Rygar was impossible

Some good ones mentioned, especially Ninja Gaiden and Ghosts & Goblins (NES)or Super Ghosts & Goblins (SNES)

Surprised I haven't seen BATTLETOADS on here.

Silver Surfer on the (NES)(this game is absolutely terrible btw)

Zombies ate my Neighbors (SNES)

Chakan (Genesis)

Both Batman NES games were tough

Metalstorm (NES) on Professional

Vectorman (Genesis) on any of the higher difficulties

Driver (PS1), the final level, game goes from being eh to hard to WTF on the final level.

Also a bunch of incredibly tough indie games released over the past few years.

I Wanna Be The Guy & I Wanna Be The Guy: Gaiden, both games are based entirely around trial & error and classic platformer bull####.

VVVVVV

N+

FTL (Faster Than Light)

Plenty of SHMUPS that are v. hard like anything made by CAVE, Ikaruga, Touhou games, etc. More mainstream ones that are a bit easier, but still tough for the vast majority would be R-Type and Gradius 3.

Level? How about Boss. While many MMOs have some claims...

World of Warcrafts C'Thun was nicknamed "The Guild Breaker".

As player guilds literally fell apart under the strain of trying to kill him.

Thought to be named after Cthulu. And until Blizzard nerfed him 4 months after he was introduced, he was undefeated worldwide.

And at that time, in what is called the original "Vanilla" WoW era in Jan 2006, there were about 6 million players/active individual subscriptions.

:lmao:

Thought to be named after Cthulu. And until Blizzard nerfed him 4 months after he was introduced, he was undefeated worldwide.

And at that time, in what is called the original "Vanilla" WoW era in Jan 2006, there were about 6 million players/active individual subscriptions.

A handful of MMO bosses are weird, either by terrible design or unforeseen challenges.

Along similar lines, Absolute Virtue in Final Fantasy XI was unbeaten via legitimate means for nearly 3 years. There were a few wins via glitch exploits, but the only ones not involving glitches didn't come until after Square-Enix finally caved on modifying the boss significantly. One of the producers even came out and even said it was to be taken as an 18-hour boss encounter.

Later they had another one called Pandemonium Warden which presented it's own ridiculous challenge. In the sense that the first guild to legitimately beat Absolute Virtue spent 18+ hours fighting Pandemonium Warden before having to quit because members were getting physically ill.

Some good ones mentioned, especially Ninja Gaiden and Ghosts & Goblins (NES)or Super Ghosts & Goblins (SNES)Surprised I haven't seen BATTLETOADS on here.Silver Surfer on the (NES)(this game is absolutely terrible btw)Zombies ate my Neighbors (SNES)Chakan (Genesis)Both Batman NES games were toughMetalstorm (NES) on ProfessionalVectorman (Genesis) on any of the higher difficultiesDriver (PS1), the final level, game goes from being eh to hard to WTF on the final level.Also a bunch of incredibly tough indie games released over the past few years.I Wanna Be The Guy & I Wanna Be The Guy: Gaiden, both games are based entirely around trial & error and classic platformer bull####.VVVVVVN+FTL (Faster Than Light)Plenty of SHMUPS that are v. hard like anything made by CAVE, Ikaruga, Touhou games, etc. More mainstream ones that are a bit easier, but still tough for the vast majority would be R-Type and Gradius 3.

About a dozen mentioned Battletoads.And I forgot about Driver. Never beat that final mission. It was cheap as hell the way one little nick slows you down and then everyone comes out of no where to ram you WHILE you have the President in your Car! It was just pure BS.

I had a game called Xexyz for NES. It was fun until you reached the level 9 boss, which was some sort of flying Godzilla-like creature with machine guns coming out of every orifice. When I tried to fight him, the screen filled up with fire almost instantly and I'd be dead within a matter of seconds.

Recently watch the King of Kong and they discussed how difficult that game is. Fascinating and pathetic show. I think the protagonist and the antagonist were the only two with female companions.

CoD 4 - "Mile High Club" on Veteran

Dear god yes. I'm with everyone on the old school games but this one for next gen is friggin impossible.
I did it btw. :cool:

Twisted Metal 2 New York rooftops. I played that for weeks and would get down to the last enemy only to drive off the edge to my death. I broke a controller in rage.

Who did you play with? If it was anybody with alot of speed it usually ended badly.
Spectre. It was one of the fastest, but I drove it more for the lock on missiles that could shoot through walls.

Very glad that I was not the only one to think of the last level on Killzone 2.

I struggled through that game on Hard difficulty but never even got close to Radec at the end.

Probably not on the same difficultly level as some of these, but I always had problems with Rush'n Attack. Ninja Gaiden was evil, so was TMNT and Kid Icarus (although I loved all of those games). I never beat any of those.

On the flip side, I never found Mike Tyson's punchout particularly hard as a kid, or Megaman 2. Rygar was another favorite that was hard but beatable, although like a previous poster said leveling up your weapon was a must. I never beat Hydlide, but I remember liking it a lot.

Ahh, memories. Now I need to resist the urge to download an emulator.

I somehow recall Grand Prix on Atari 2600 being a real tough mother to qualify for something.

Dear god yes. I'm with everyone on the old school games but this one for next gen is friggin impossible.
This is the only achievement that I am actually proud of.

Wow - this is a great thread. A few things on what I have read above.

I disagree about Mega Man 2. Mega Man 3 was the really hard one in my book. Mega Man 1 was hard as well but it's more like it had some really hard bosses. The "Yellow Devil" boss was the hardest in the whole series and one of the toughest in video game history. i must have played that level 200 times as a kid.

Rygar was tough but beatable. It took me a long time to beat though. It was one of those games you played on a rainy day.

Tyson was tough, but not impossible. I had a tougher time with Super Macho Man for some reason.

I have heard many say Bionic Commando... I can't get with that. I could beat that game easily.

Kid Icarus is the one franchise I think Nintendo is making a mistake by leaving it behind. If they dusted it off and put together a zelda wii like game it would be very popular (I know they did a hand held reboot). The original was hard but you if knew the secrets to the treasure rooms and racked up enough points to get the long bow and crystal shield you were gold. Plus who wouldn't like to fight an eggplant wizard.

I agree about ninja gaiden being difficult. But I think like Mega man the hardest part was not falling down holes. It was beatable but like Rygar it took a good chunk of time.

Mother Brain in Metroid was impossible until you figured out you needed to bounce off her and not stand on the platform. For my money Metriod was the best game of the NES era.

All of this being said the two toughest games was ghosts and goblins and bayou billy. I never came close to beating either one.

The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask without the guide book to know where to be at what time was impossible.

I spent darn near an entire semester my Freshman year beating the first Tomb Raider. Did the whole thing without any aids/books/input from an outside source except my roommates trying to help me figure out where to go/what to do.

The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask without the guide book to know where to be at what time was impossible.

It would next to impossible to get the captains mask to finish off the mask list, but you could still beat the game. I give them 5 stars for originality for MM, but in the end it didn't hold a candle to OOT.

The Earthworm Jim series was tough.

I thought it was very simple, I loved EWJim. Only game I've never finished was Metroid Prime on GCube :lol:

I thought it was very simple, I loved EWJim. Only game I've never finished was Metroid Prime on GCube :lol:
I basically bought game cube for Metriod Prime, but I discovered NHL Hits in the process. One of the most fun video games to play with freinds of all time. Right up there with NHL 94 and Tecmo Bowl IMHO.

For my money Metroid was the best game of the NES era.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Nothing even came close IMO. Part platform game, part FPS, part Zelda-like explorer, part puzzler.And add me to the list of people who broke their TMNT cartridge by throwing it against the wall after getting killed for the 2,000th straight time. AFAICR it's the only NES game I owned but never managed to beat (and that includes Ninja Gaiden).

Super Gouls and Ghosts is incredibly frustrating even on an emulator with the save state feature. Last summer I was determined to beat it. And just when I thought I killed the final boss, the damn girl tells me I have to play through again and win with a friggin bracelet. :wall:

I did finally beat it though.

I basically bought game cube for Metriod Prime, but I discovered NHL Hits in the process. One of the most fun video games to play with freinds of all time. Right up there with NHL 94 and Tecmo Bowl IMHO.
Tecmo and NHL, agreed. Great drinking games in college. That and Street Fighter.@Jayrod--I could never beat Tombraider until I met my wife. She used to tell me where to go. I couldn't see #### with those old pixelated graphics, but she knew.I feel so much better seeing that I was not the only one who had problems with Metroid. Hated that final boss.

My son and I area very close to throwing the Wii remotes through the wall because of Epic Mickey 2.

:unsure:

What gave you guys so much trouble in TMNT? I was far from a 'serious' gamer, but I never had any trouble with that game. Just had to keep Donatello alive. ;)

Now Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania and Double Dragon? Ugh! Someday I'll beat the original Castlevania. :(

Super Gouls and Ghosts is incredibly frustrating even on an emulator with the save state feature. Last summer I was determined to beat it. And just when I thought I killed the final boss, the damn girl tells me I have to play through again and win with a friggin bracelet. :wall:

I did finally beat it though.

I spent weeks playing that to finally kill the final boss and exactly as you said the Girl tells you to play through again with the bracelet. I shut it off and never played it again. I was so pissed.

Just read this page for the first time. :lmao:

Good stuff. :thumbup::lmao:

It is true though. I haven't heard a case that said G&G isn't the hardest NES game.

http://nintendo8.com/all/

A must bookmark.....

Running though this list, I had forgotten about Golgo 13. that was a tough game to beat and I remember doing it once.

Good stuff. :thumbup::lmao:

It is true though. I haven't heard a case that said G&G isn't the hardest NES game.

Yea, but I have beat the game before, I can't say the same for Bayou Billy or Battletoads. I'm not sure anybody can beat those games w/o cheats.

This is the only achievement that I am actually proud of.
Same here.

For my money Metroid was the best game of the NES era.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Nothing even came close IMO. Part platform game, part FPS, part Zelda-like explorer, part puzzler.
My favorite NES game by a wide margin.

Super Gouls and Ghosts is incredibly frustrating even on an emulator with the save state feature. Last summer I was determined to beat it. And just when I thought I killed the final boss, the damn girl tells me I have to play through again and win with a friggin bracelet. :wall:I did finally beat it though.

I give you props. I beat the Genesis version a bunch of times and loved it. I remember at the time, I was so happy to be playing (Super) G&G on the SNES because IMO, the graphics/color palette was far better for the SNES. Pretty sure we just rented this but it was just gruelingly hard. Like hard for the same of being hard.

Fester's Quest for NES was super hard. Unplayable.

I beat this without even trying as a kid.

I never spent more than 15 minutes trying to play Metroid. Something about it just turned me off right away. Ironically, I loved Kid Icarus and put a ton of time into beating that. Loved the last level.

I never spent more than 15 minutes trying to play Metroid. Something about it just turned me off right away. Ironically, I loved Kid Icarus and put a ton of time into beating that. Loved the last level.

I always tie those two game together for some reason. Love both. I just beat Kid Icarus again on my little girl's 3DS.

Favorite NES game ever was Zelda 2: A Link To the Past

It was difficult but not impossible. The problem is, the game was really long and no matter what, once I started trying to beat the final few castles, something would happen with the game data and I'd lose all of my data.

I tried it again recently with an emulator and the same #### happened

A handful of MMO bosses are weird, either by terrible design or unforeseen challenges.

Along similar lines, Absolute Virtue in Final Fantasy XI was unbeaten via legitimate means for nearly 3 years. There were a few wins via glitch exploits, but the only ones not involving glitches didn't come until after Square-Enix finally caved on modifying the boss significantly. One of the producers even came out and even said it was to be taken as an 18-hour boss encounter.

Later they had another one called Pandemonium Warden which presented it's own ridiculous challenge. In the sense that the first guild to legitimately beat Absolute Virtue spent 18+ hours fighting Pandemonium Warden before having to quit because members were getting physically ill.

What gamer worth his salt can't play for 18 straight? N00bs.

In the final world on SMB3, there's a maze castle with a ton of doors. I always used a cloud to skip over that one because I couldn't solve it.

I think I spend too much time here because "Super Mario Brothers" was not the first thing I thought of when I saw "SMB" :ph34r:

I tried. I tried for about 3 straight hours. Closest I got was to right outside the cockpit before I missed a shot with like 2 or 3 seconds left. All over from there. Never went back.