What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chip Kelly (1 Viewer)

MAC_32

Footballguy
@RapSheet: BREAKING: Chip Kelly is close to a deal to become the #Browns coach, according to a source informed of his situation.

:football: :popcorn: :excited: :thumbup: :banned: :pickle:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this sets the Browns back most of a decade as they overhaul the roster to fit his offense and then have to overhaul it again to fit an NFL offense after he's fired.

I think this sets the Browns back most of a decade as they overhaul the roster to fit his offense and then have to overhaul it again to fit an NFL offense after he's fired.
I'll be back to eat my crow if wrong and I hope you are too. I think you couldn't be more incorrect. What he does so well is he takes his system and adapts it to his players to get the most out of them. He has the pieces in place with Richardson, Gordon, and a strong offensive line. Even more importantly he has everything he needs on defense. Get the other pieces he needs on offense and this offense takes off. Pair Geno or Tahj with a change of pace RB (Denard, Dri Archer, maybe Barner or Ellington) and we can compete for the playoffs this year.

:lmao:The Browns currently don't have a franchise QB. Weeden was a brutal 1st round pick last year. He's not going to cut it. Worst case would have been the franchise and old staff threw him out there another couple years. He's a backup QB at best. And that's how he should have been drafted to begin with.They've already have a solid O-line + Richardson + Gordon + improved defense. What exactly is their to overhaul?? They need a franchise QB regardless....

Not a good place for that offense if true.
1,000% disagree
Really?? You think that the Oregon offense would work well on a cold windy day in Cleveland in January?
Not only that but that offense worked because he had a clear speed/talent advantage. He won't have that same advantage in the NFL. I think he is Steve Spurrier 2.0. Many of you may not be old enough to remember that disaster.

I'll be back to eat my crow if wrong and I hope you are too. I think you couldn't be more incorrect. What he does so well is he takes his system and adapts it to his players to get the most out of them. He has the pieces in place with Richardson, Gordon, and a strong offensive line. Even more importantly he has everything he needs on defense. Get the other pieces he needs on offense and this offense takes off. Pair Geno or Tahj with a change of pace RB (Denard, Dri Archer, maybe Barner or Ellington) and we can compete for the playoffs this year.
I don't really care about crow eating and I do hope he proves me wrong. Right now I'm not feeling at all good about this though.I certainly don't agree that he has everything he needs on defense. We just watched Kirk Cousins destroy that defense and Manning didn't even break a sweat while he was shredding it. They need at minimum a linebacker, a corner, a free safety and a top-notch pass rusher. Hopefully Kelly hires a quality NFL staff. If he brings in a bunch of guys from Oregon, I'm going to become even more depressed about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
1,000% disagree
Really?? You think that the Oregon offense would work well on a cold windy day in Cleveland in January?
Not only that but that offense worked because he had a clear speed/talent advantage. He won't have that same advantage in the NFL. I think he is Steve Spurrier 2.0. Many of you may not be old enough to remember that disaster.
If he had a clear speed/talent advantage, I would think that more of his former players would be going higher in the NFL draft.

I don't really care about crow eating and I do hope he proves me wrong. Right now I'm not feeling at all good about this though.I certainly don't agree that he has everything he needs on defense. We just watched Kirk Cousins destroy that defense and Manning didn't even break a sweat while he was shredding it. They need at minimum a linebacker, a corner, a free safety and a top-notch pass rusher. Hopefully Kelly hires a quality NFL staff. If he brings in a bunch of guys from Oregon, I'm going to become even more depressed about this.
I think those 6 quarters against Washington and Denver were more about the team giving up than talent disparity. Not a good excuse, but a plausible one. The offense blew the Washington game, then everyone knew firings were coming, and the whole team came out flat in Denver.The one area I didn't mention on offense is we may need to look elsewhere for guards. I think Greco moves well enough for a Chip system, but Lauvao and Pinkston don't. Ryan Miller might though.

Even Chip Kelly knows it probably won't work. He's just looking to get paid. He figures lose badly for two years in Cleveland, get canned, sit and home and collect bank like everyone else who coaches there. That's why he won't bother to interview anywhere else.

Vick = Coach Killer, when will people accept that?
Most won't because it's not true. He's had two seasons in his entire career he posted a losing record as a starter. One was this year and on a team that quit. His career winning percentage as a starter is 56% which equates to about a 9 win season. Not great but not exactly coach killing kind of poor either.

Most won't because it's not true. He's had two seasons in his entire career he posted a losing record as a starter. One was this year and on a team that quit. His career winning percentage as a starter is 56% which equates to about a 9 win season. Not great but not exactly coach killing kind of poor either.
Now factor in 100 million dollars for those 9 wins and you see his point...

The only guy who started on this team last year I see who can't fit this offense is Weeden and he was far from a lock to QB this team next year no matter who the HC was, so I don't get the overhual part here.

Eagles won't be paying him anything close to $100million and please explain to me what one team signing him for has any bearing on his ability to play QB for his next team?

Solid hire for the Browns.

The Browns have been terrible at drafting and Kelly is an excellent evaluator of college talent. You think he would have traded up to take TR or drafted a 29 year old QB with questionable skills in the 1st round? Uh, no. It is very likely under a Kelly regime, RG3 would have been a Brown. Imagine RG3 running a Kelly offense. Now that would be fun to watch.

Solid hire for the Browns.The Browns have been terrible at drafting and Kelly is an excellent evaluator of college talent. You think he would have traded up to take TR or drafted a 29 year old QB with questionable skills in the 1st round? Uh, no. It is very likely under a Kelly regime, RG3 would have been a Brown. Imagine RG3 running a Kelly offense. Now that would be fun to watch.
Are you implying that TRich wasnt worth where he was drafted???? Who would be there RB right now without him? turd hardesty??????

Even Chip Kelly knows it probably won't work. He's just looking to get paid. He figures lose badly for two years in Cleveland, get canned, sit and home and collect bank like everyone else who coaches there. That's why he won't bother to interview anywhere else.
wait what?

Eagles won't be paying him anything close to $100million and please explain to me what one team signing him for has any bearing on his ability to play QB for his next team?
We still talking about coach killing?2 coaches gave him 100+ million dollar deals for what you said equated to 9 wins. THAT is why he's a coach killer.

I pretty sure that the guy will not try to run the pure version of his oregon offense. guessing he may try some uptempo stuff with some no huddle, but much (not all) of the sideways passing game and long sweeps/reverses will go in the garbage next to his playcard posters.

trent richardson fans have got to be optimistic. i dont think i saw him in space a single time all yr.

The Browns have been terrible at drafting and Kelly is an excellent evaluator of college talent. You think he would have traded up to take TR or drafted a 29 year old QB with questionable skills in the 1st round? Uh, no. It is very likely under a Kelly regime, RG3 would have been a Brown. Imagine RG3 running a Kelly offense. Now that would be fun to watch.
Are you implying that TRich wasnt worth where he was drafted???? Who would be there RB right now without him? turd hardesty??????
He wasn't.

He wasn't.
Yeah, he played with broken ribs all year in an offense not designed for him to be successful.Blast off coming in about 9 months...

Solid hire for the Browns.The Browns have been terrible at drafting and Kelly is an excellent evaluator of college talent. You think he would have traded up to take TR or drafted a 29 year old QB with questionable skills in the 1st round? Uh, no. It is very likely under a Kelly regime, RG3 would have been a Brown. Imagine RG3 running a Kelly offense. Now that would be fun to watch.
Trading up to draft TR instead of RG3 is/was a huge mistake and it is rumored to be a main reason the GM got canned. No RB in the modern NFL is worth that. Give me RG3 and late round RB all day.

He wasn't.
elaborate please......

Trading up to draft TR instead of RG3 is/was a huge mistake and it is rumored to be a main reason the GM got canned. No RB in the modern NFL is worth that. Give me RG3 and late round RB all day.
How were they supposed to get RG3 if he went 2 overall?

Didn't Colt McCoy run a somewhat similar offense at Texas?
Yes, I think he will be back. As the bridge starter or competing for backup? Not sure, but I think he'll be back. Gut says we pick up Geno or Tahj then have Josh Johnson and Thad battle for #3 QB behind Colt, Colt starts if the rookies aren't ready.

I'm not sure what you're talking about. They tried to trade up for RG3, making a substantial offer, but the Rams took the Redskins deal.

We had the ammo to trade, Holmgren and Heckert went chicken #### when they saw the price. Ultimately, that decision cost them their jobs.

Because the Browns had a ton more ammunition than the Skins. RG3 was theirs if they wanted him-

We had the ammo to trade, Holmgren and Heckert went chicken #### when they saw the price. Ultimately, that decision cost them their jobs.
Only team willing to pay that CRAZY price was the Skins...... I think the browns would be worse off with RG3 and nothing else.

He wasn't.
elaborate please......
3rd overall pick, traded up for him, he averaged 3.6ypc. Maybe he will turn out great, but thus far you can not say he was worth being drafted where he was considering what was given up, where he was drafted, and his performance. Im sure people will make a million excuses for him because I know he is popular but the bottom line is the bottom line. If he is the next ADP then he will be worth it but unless he begins turning out 1,500 yard seasons it was a waste. You can get good RBs late.

1,000% disagree
Why wouldn't a run-heavy offense work well on a cold windy day in any city at any time of the year? Won't the wind slow down the defense (depending on the direction they are running) just as much as the offense?
Rumors of field turf being added have been going around for a while too, with Chip in tow this is now a near certainty.

Users who are viewing this thread