Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dentist

Left Side of Road Driving Simulator?

28 posts in this topic

anyone know of a left side of road or British driving simulator?

I'm headed to a British island and would like to rent a car but have never driven on that side of the road and it looks a little intimidating... i figure a few digital reps wouldn't hurt

driving really isn't a huge deal. turning into the proper lane every time will be.

then again, it's an island. you should be fine.

Not that big of a deal. You just have to think a little more in the beginning but you get used to it pretty quickly.

It's not as hard as you think, unless you have to use a stick (not uncommon with rentals over there - check to be sure. The problem is when there's no one on the road and one's attention lapses. One can quickly find themselves back at their default position just in time for a British motorist to be heading str8 into you.

Just buy an small american flag with a suction cup and attach it to your roof. Keep the hazards on until you get the hang of it. The locals will understand.

Just buy an small american flag with a suction cup and attach it to your roof. Keep the hazards on until you get the hang of it. The locals will understand.

And routinely yell, "If not for us you'd be speaking German now!"

It's not a big deal but a good trick to prepare your mind is to start looking right instead of left first when you come to an intersection driving or even just crossing a street when walking.

Maybe your mailman could give you some tips.

Get some balls and just do it.

well, i'm going to, but logging in an hour on Grand Theft Auto the Euro Edition would've been fun if it existed

sounds like a way to get robbed though as well

anyone know of a left side of road or British driving simulator?I'm headed to a British island and would like to rent a car but have never driven on that side of the road and it looks a little intimidating... i figure a few digital reps wouldn't hurt

Which island? I lived on an island that drove on the left hand side for 3 months. It's super easy.

It's not as hard as you think, unless you have to use a stick (not uncommon with rentals over there - check to be sure. The problem is when there's no one on the road and one's attention lapses. One can quickly find themselves back at their default position just in time for a British motorist to be heading str8 into you.

great question - i'm definitely renting from an agency with automatic transmission.I love rocking manual... but not when i'm adding some "opposite driving" in addition to that.I am used to driving on the right side of the vehicle because i'm a boat owner

anyone know of a left side of road or British driving simulator?I'm headed to a British island and would like to rent a car but have never driven on that side of the road and it looks a little intimidating... i figure a few digital reps wouldn't hurt

Which island? I lived on an island that drove on the left hand side for 3 months. It's super easy.
Barbados

great question - i'm definitely renting from an agency with automatic transmission.I love rocking manual... but not when i'm adding some "opposite driving" in addition to that.I am used to driving on the right side of the vehicle because i'm a boat owner
Specify an auto when you book the car. I do this routinely when I visit the UK. It will cost a little more but it will save messing around with a stick and clutch. Much more important are the local traffic laws. For instance, turning against a red light isn't allowed anywhere I've ever been except here.

Barbados
Cool. Never been there. I go to Cayman quite often. I think it might be quite a bit smaller than Barbados.

Manual is a piece of cake. My biggest problem was turning on the wipers every time I wanted to signal. If the pedals were reversed I would have been ####ed.

Bin there, dun that.

Here is the mantra:

Drive left, look right. Keep repeating that as you drive, until you get the hang of it. Do not inch out of driveways or intersections until you have looked right.

driving really isn't a huge deal. turning into the proper lane every time will be.then again, it's an island. you should be fine.

this is exactly right.especially if you rent an automatic, all you need to pay attentiion to is right turns our like our left and vice versa...really easy if youre not paying attention to do a right turn into oncoming traffic.i actually learned to drive (stick no less) on the left side of the road. but that was in thailand so me driving down the wrong side of the road was pretty much par for the course with all drivers there.honestly, just stay really focused.

Oh stop it.

well, i'm going to, but logging in an hour on Grand Theft Auto the Euro Edition would've been fun if it existed
Sleeping Dogs. Not England, but in terms of driving, Hong Kong should suffice.

:goodposting: Caribbean island will be cake. Just keep telling yourself at every turn/intersection to look right and stay left.And don't drink and think this will work out well. :bag:

Barbados
Oh... I take it back. You're ####ed.

I did pretty well with the driving.

It was very challenging mentally for the first twenty minutes, not necessarily following the rules, but keeping the car in the lane without doing a curb check because it felt weird.

wouldn't want to do this in a very populated area, but it was a cool drive.

Oh.. and barbados has a ton of "roundabouts" and those blow

Why would it be difficult to stay in your lane?

Why would it be difficult to stay in your lane?

i had trouble at the very first part of the drive with the feel relative to where i was in the lane since i was driving from the right seat.i curb checked us twice.