What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (2 Viewers)

BassNBrew

Footballguy
2018 begins roughly on page 165.

2016 begins roughly on page 89.

2015 begins roughly on page 48.

2014 begins roughly on page 20.

Glad 2012 is behind us, on to 2013. Let me toss out some topics for discussion. 1. Rivera; Are you happy with the decision? - After being on the other side of the fence most of the year, I'm glad he's staying. Since we couldn't totally put a fork in him after the late season resurgence and any new hire would be 50/50 at best, might as well give him another year. I realize it's the what if game, but we didn't notch 7 wins and gifted away Atlanta, Chicago, and Seattle. The schedule this year was tough We're not as bad as we think we are. 2. Cam; Will he improve, regress, or stay the same? - I was also really down on Cam after the beginning of the season. Still kind of on the fence, but after seeing Luck, Wilson, and RG3 play this weekend, I'd still rather have Cam for the upside. For as much as he runs, he doesn't take punishment. Maybe has the strongest arm in the league? 3. 2013 Schdule; Tough, middling, or cake? - We draw the NFC West which isn't that bad and the AFC East which is easy outside of the Pats. NYG and Minny are the "wildcard" games. I think Minny regress and maybe we catch NYG at the right time. I lean towards cake here. 4. 2013 Draft; What do we need? - I say all offense outside of a safety and CB. At #1 if a stud is availabe we take WR/CB/S, otherwise grab o-line. 5. 2013 Free Agency; Who do we get? - Dwayne Bowe needs to come here. What am I thinking, this is the Panthers, we land the 5th string WR from SD. 6. Rushing Attack: Rank based on 2013 fantasy pts Cam, Tolbert, DWilly, and JStew (non-ppr). - I say Cam, Tolbert, JStew, DWilly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad 2012 is behind us, on to 2013.

Let me toss out some topics for discussion.

1. Rivera; Are you happy with the decision? - Indifferent. Halfway through the season I was hoping he was gone, but in the second half of the season he did have the team trending upward, and that is what Richardson asked of him, therefore, I understand why Richardson is giving him one more chance. I never thought the team was bad this year. I thought the staff was bad with it's ####ty play-calling. Once they changed their offensive philosphy the team started clicking, and started winning and closing out games.

2. Cam; Will he improve, regress, or stay the same? - I think he will improve unless the OC starts with the hokey play-calling again. He is young and continuously learning. I think some of the bashing he got this year was extreme. He overcame it though, and hopefully it helped him to grow in various ways.

3. 2013 Schedule; Tough, middling, or cake? - Too early to tell. The NFC West improved a lot this year. The 49ers and Seahawks are good. The Rams are young and improved. The Cardinals have a lot of good pieces, and they are just a QB and some OL'men away from being good. They'll have a new coach too. The AFC East is unpredictable. The Pats are good. The Dolphins are improved. The Jets have some good players, but seem to be a mess. I don't know what they will do in the offseason to regroup. The Bills should have been better than they were this year. Maybe their new coach will fix what isn't working, and they will take that step forward next season. I expect the Vikings and Giants games to be very competitive, and I also expect Atlanta and New Orleans to be good next year, and the Bucs might be. The Bucs are hard to figure out. As I said it's too early to tell the strength of our schedule, but I don't think it will be cake.

4. 2013 Draft; What do we need? - A good general manager.

5. 2013 Free Agency; Who do we get? - Someone good.

6. Rushing Attack: Rank based on 2013 fantasy pts Cam, Tolbert, DWilly, and JStew (non-ppr). - Is the Big Cat keeping DeAngelo?

Glad 2012 is behind us, on to 2013.Let me toss out some topics for discussion.1. Rivera; Are you happy with the decision? - After being on the other side of the fence most of the year, I'm glad he's staying. Since we couldn't totally put a fork in him after the late season resurgence and any new hire would be 50/50 at best, might as well give him another year. I realize it's the what if game, but we didn't notch 7 wins and gifted away Atlanta, Chicago, and Seattle. The schedule this year was tough We're not as bad as we think we are.2. Cam; Will he improve, regress, or stay the same? - I was also really down on Cam after the beginning of the season. Still kind of on the fence, but after seeing Luck, Wilson, and RG3 play this weekend, I'd still rather have Cam for the upside. For as much as he runs, he doesn't take punishment. Maybe has the strongest arm in the league?3. 2013 Schdule; Tough, middling, or cake? - We draw the NFC West which isn't that bad and the AFC East which is easy outside of the Pats. NYG and Minny are the "wildcard" games. I think Minny regress and maybe we catch NYG at the right time. I lean towards cake here.4. 2013 Draft; What do we need? - I say all offense outside of a safety and CB. At #1 if a stud is availabe we take WR/CB/S, otherwise grab o-line. 5. 2013 Free Agency; Who do we get? - Dwayne Bowe needs to come here. What am I thinking, this is the Panthers, we land the 5th string WR from SD.6. Rushing Attack: Rank based on 2013 fantasy pts Cam, Tolbert, DWilly, and JStew (non-ppr). - I say Cam, Tolbert, JStew, DWilly.
I'm not a big Rivera fan, but the team did improve considerably this year. They lost several 1 score games and gave away a few more right at the end. I do not agree with Parcells "you are what your record says you are", I think they were much better that the record indicates. I do think Rivera needs to make changes in the offensive staff. Cam is an incredible athlete, but he appears to have bad mechanics and to be poorly coached. The offensive play calling looks flat and unimaginative. Watching Washington run the read option, and then watch Carolina run it, and there is a big difference in the variety of plays from the same formations.I agree with you that I would rather have Cam than the others but, as stated, he is either poorly coached or just not listening. Draft wise they could still use a dominant Defensive tackle. Agree on the Safety and CB. Free agency? Would really like to see Bowe or Mike Wallace, but I think they are in salary cap hell and the new GM will be challenged to get them out of it and remain competitive.

Most important topic of discussion I forgot...

7. Read Option; Yeah or Nay? - Looks like Wash and Sea are running a similiar version of our offense. Didn't see that much change in the play calling over the last half of the year. At mid-season everyone hated the read-option, seems like this isn't an issue when it works. Chud said he didn't make any major changes, the offense just progressed.

Most important topic of discussion I forgot...7. Read Option; Yeah or Nay? - Looks like Wash and Sea are running a similiar version of our offense. Didn't see that much change in the play calling over the last half of the year. At mid-season everyone hated the read-option, seems like this isn't an issue when it works. Chud said he didn't make any major changes, the offense just progressed.
Washington and Seattle use their running backs a lot. The first half of the season we hardly used ours. Big difference.

1. Rivera; Are you happy with the decision? - No, I am angry and annoyed by it. It isn't that I think he's a bad guy, but he is lacking some of the basic skills to be an NFL head coach. His time management skills are terrible and have cost the Panthers games, and his record in 7 point or less games is 2-12. You don't deserve to keep your job when you perform like that. Two seasons in a row, the team has improved over the last month of the season. This season, the problems with the offense were clear to everyone watching the game, from fans to the media, and it took them almost 2/3 of the season before they figured out that it wasn't working.2. Cam; Will he improve, regress, or stay the same? - I think Cam is already playing at a very high level, so I"m not sure that I see him improving much when it comes to stats. I do think that he will continue to develop on the mental side, as he's shown some improvement in leadership and maturity (some...) over the past few months. I HOPE that continues.3. 2013 Schdule; Tough, middling, or cake? - It is what it is. The NFL changes so much every year, it's best to just take the schedule as it comes.4. 2013 Draft; What do we need? - WR, CB, S, DT, O-Line (Guard and Tackle). I'd like to see some changes to the philosophy this season by actually attacking some positions of need in the draft for a change. I am all for getting the best player available, but there has to be a middle ground that allows us to actually clean up some holdes. 5. 2013 Free Agency; Who do we get? - This is a wild card because the new GM will likely have some new ideas. My gut says that we see the same old same old (since I think Beane gets the job), with us hiring a bunch of people we've never heard of.6. Rushing Attack: Rank based on 2013 fantasy pts - Cam, Stewart, Tolbert, Rookie/New GuyAdditional thoughts...- I really hope that we don't lose Chris Gamble in the offseason, but I think that it's likely he's gone. I think he's one of the most underrated corners in the NFL, and while the team performed well without him at the end of the season, I think we'll be in a big hole to start next year if Captain Munnerlyn is our top CB. If Gamble does leave, this will need to be the #1 target in the offseason, either through a top draft pick or a free agent signing.- There will be a lot of good names available at WR, and I'd love to see one of them come to Carolina. Percy Harvin would by my top choice (assuming he'll actually be available for trade), followed by Dwayne Bowe, and then Mike Wallace. I don't expect any of them to end up in Carolina though.- Since Rivera stayed, Chud needs to go. His offensive gameplan for the season was terrible and it took way too long for him to make changes. He followed a similar pattern in Cleveland, where he came up with some unique gameplans in his first year as OC and turned the offense around, then in the second year he got cocky and became too "cute" for his own good. On top of that, Rivera desperately needs an OC (or DC, but I'm happy with Mcdermott's improvement) that has some previous head coaching experience. Even though Norv Turner is a bit of a buffoon as a HC, he is a fantastic OC, and would be a clear and perfect fit. If Chud does stay (which I expect he will, unfortunately), I think that someone with previous HC experience should be hired on in a consultant or as a position/assistant coach role. - The GM search continues this week, and I'll be the first to admit that I don't know enough about any of these guys to make an educated comment on who would be the best for the job. I just hope that the person who gets the job is tough enough to fight Jerry Richardson a little bit. If the new GM is a pushover with Jerry, I don't expect anything to change with the team in the near future. Which brings me to my next point...- The team has to have some "bite" to it. Jerry Richardson has essentially turned the stadium into a county fair atmosphere with the "family friendly" aspect turning it into a boring and terrible place to watch a game. I'd much rather watch the game at home with my rowdy and excited friends than go to the stadium and sit in front of people who get mad at me for standing up to cheer on the team. On top of that, we now have two coaches that show no emotion on the sidelines, and I think that's a Jerry thing. SOmething tells me that he has a talk with coaches and tells them that they have to maintain a calm demeanor at all times...which is another thing that sanitizes the whole situation. John Fox is much more animated and fired up with the Broncos, and it happened as soon as he was out of Carolina. Basically, Richardson has an attitude of a guy who is his age...and he needs to understand that the old ways don't work quite as well anymore. Hopefully a new GM can get that into his head.

Glad 2012 is behind us, on to 2013.Let me toss out some topics for discussion.1. Rivera; Are you happy with the decision? - After being on the other side of the fence most of the year, I'm glad he's staying. Since we couldn't totally put a fork in him after the late season resurgence and any new hire would be 50/50 at best, might as well give him another year. I realize it's the what if game, but we didn't notch 7 wins and gifted away Atlanta, Chicago, and Seattle. The schedule this year was tough We're not as bad as we think we are.2. Cam; Will he improve, regress, or stay the same? - I was also really down on Cam after the beginning of the season. Still kind of on the fence, but after seeing Luck, Wilson, and RG3 play this weekend, I'd still rather have Cam for the upside. For as much as he runs, he doesn't take punishment. Maybe has the strongest arm in the league?3. 2013 Schdule; Tough, middling, or cake? - We draw the NFC West which isn't that bad and the AFC East which is easy outside of the Pats. NYG and Minny are the "wildcard" games. I think Minny regress and maybe we catch NYG at the right time. I lean towards cake here.4. 2013 Draft; What do we need? - I say all offense outside of a safety and CB. At #1 if a stud is availabe we take WR/CB/S, otherwise grab o-line. 5. 2013 Free Agency; Who do we get? - Dwayne Bowe needs to come here. What am I thinking, this is the Panthers, we land the 5th string WR from SD.6. Rushing Attack: Rank based on 2013 fantasy pts Cam, Tolbert, DWilly, and JStew (non-ppr). - I say Cam, Tolbert, JStew, DWilly.
1. I am happy, its a dangerous trend to fire coaches every other year. That said its playoffs or else for him2. Cam will improve. Once they backed off the spread read option and put him in the pocket he had his best success. They must continue that with a little read mixed in3. Scheduling who knows, this is the nfl you have to win games no matter who it is, we lost to KC after all.4. Team needs would be something like this, oline (preferably a lights out LT and move Gross back to RT), WR (this is a huge need position) Corner and safety. It think they will also address the Dline at some point but the biggest need is oline5. If they could get Bowe or Wallace then thats a huge win but I doubt it happens6. The Panthers must retool their offense to make the rb game more vital, they have to stop relying on Cam to lead them in rushing

John Fox is much more animated and fired up with the Broncos, and it happened as soon as he was out of Carolina.
John Fox got worked up a lot of times on the sidelines when he was with the Panthers.
Not at the same level, and he rarely got into the players ears. He would just look mad and chew his gum.
That's because he was actually having to try and make decisions. Now he's basically irrelevant and needs to get animated to make his presence known.

One thing not yet directly address is the utter salary cap hell Hurney left this team with. 2013 commitments of $136MM with a projected cap of $120-ish MM.Gamble can save the team $7.9MM himself by being cut, and considering how well the defense played late in the season without him, I can't see them keeping him - potential for re-structuring I suppose.DW saves a chunk himself, but he's more beneficial if he's designated as a June 1 cut, thereby allowing them to stretch his outstanding proration over 2 seasons instead of 1. I'd suspect he's gone as well.Past that, I'd expect we see Gross and Beason approached about some sort of restructuring to lower their cap hits, and possibly CJ and Khalil approached as well.I wouldn't expect any splashes in FA - we'll be lucky to sign our rookie class without a major cap overhaul...

John Fox is much more animated and fired up with the Broncos, and it happened as soon as he was out of Carolina.
John Fox got worked up a lot of times on the sidelines when he was with the Panthers.
Not at the same level, and he rarely got into the players ears. He would just look mad and chew his gum.
That's because he was actually having to try and make decisions. Now he's basically irrelevant and needs to get animated to make his presence known.
He was that way last season too. I just think that Richardson gets into the ears of his coaches and players, and forces them to be more even keel.Remember when Ken Lucas used to be the voice of the team, calling them out when they didn't perform? One meeting with Richardson and it was over. Chris Harris was the same way. I expect him to have a conference with Greg Hardy soon as well. Basically, anyone that shows any kind of emotion or has any edge to them will have to meet with Richardson and be forced to tone it down.My guess is that coaches are given similar speeches.I could be wrong, but this has always been my impression.On another note, Joe Person just tweeted this...
#Panthers RB coach John Settle has been fired
More changes on Ron Rivera's staff likely. But I've been told both coordinators - - Rob Chudzinski and Sean McDermott - - are safe
Not thrilled to hear that Chud is keeping his job after the horrendous offensive gameplan he created, and stuck with, for 3/4 of the season. I'll just have to hope that he learned something as the season progressed, and will continue with the improved playcalling of the end of the season.As for Settle, I don't claim to know enough about what goes into being a position coach, but at least some changes are being made. Hopefully with good reason, rather than simply finding a scapegoat.

One thing not yet directly address is the utter salary cap hell Hurney left this team with. 2013 commitments of $136MM with a projected cap of $120-ish MM.Gamble can save the team $7.9MM himself by being cut, and considering how well the defense played late in the season without him, I can't see them keeping him - potential for re-structuring I suppose.DW saves a chunk himself, but he's more beneficial if he's designated as a June 1 cut, thereby allowing them to stretch his outstanding proration over 2 seasons instead of 1. I'd suspect he's gone as well.Past that, I'd expect we see Gross and Beason approached about some sort of restructuring to lower their cap hits, and possibly CJ and Khalil approached as well.I wouldn't expect any splashes in FA - we'll be lucky to sign our rookie class without a major cap overhaul...
I know that the smart money is probably with letting Gamble go, but I hope there is a way to keep him. I think that he's one of the best players we have, and one of the most underrated CB's in the NFL. It is true that the secondary played well when he was out, but he's been a shutdown corner the past few years...and having that on your team is a huge asset.Deangelo looked great at the end of the year, but I think the time has come to let him walk. His contract situation is just too crazy to validate keeping him around...and I don't believe there is an easy way to restructure.

On another note, Joe Person just tweeted this...

More changes on Ron Rivera's staff likely. But I've been told both coordinators - - Rob Chudzinski and Sean McDermott - - are safe
Not thrilled to hear that Chud is keeping his job after the horrendous offensive gameplan he created, and stuck with, for 3/4 of the season. I'll just have to hope that he learned something as the season progressed, and will continue with the improved playcalling of the end of the season.As for Settle, I don't claim to know enough about what goes into being a position coach, but at least some changes are being made. Hopefully with good reason, rather than simply finding a scapegoat.
Jim Skipper, former RBs coach under Fox, who was beloved by Stew and DW, was recently let go by the Titans, which makes me wonder if Carolina will try to bring him back.

I know that the smart money is probably with letting Gamble go, but I hope there is a way to keep him. I think that he's one of the best players we have, and one of the most underrated CB's in the NFL. It is true that the secondary played well when he was out, but he's been a shutdown corner the past few years...and having that on your team is a huge asset.
I 100% agree, I just don't know how it's feasible. The thought of Josh Norman and Josh Harris as the starting QBs is pretty frightening, expecially since I'm not much of a fan of either one of the safety spots on this team.The D-line better be dominant like on the 2006 squad with Jenkins, Peppers, and Rucker. That line masked a starting CB duo of Terry Cousins and Reggie Howard. CJ and Kracken need a Jenkins-like DT to crush the pocket, allowing that secondary to look significantly better than it likely will be. Sheldon Richardson anyone?

On another note, Joe Person just tweeted this...

Jim Skipper, former RBs coach under Fox, who was beloved by Stew and DW, was recently let go by the Titans, which makes me wonder if Carolina will try to bring him back.
I've always heard that Skipper was a fantastic coach, so I think that would definitely be interesting.

Glad 2012 is behind us, on to 2013.

Let me toss out some topics for discussion.

1. Rivera; Are you happy with the decision? Not thrilled with it, but I wasn't fully on board when Rivera was hired in the first place. That being said, I think there's something to say for continuity in the NFL, and decisions to move on to the next guy aren't always the right decisions. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I saw on Twitter the other day that Walsh, Belicheck, and other elite coaches had rough starts to their tenures with the teams they eventually built into dynasties, including sub-par records in close games. I'm willing to give RR another chance, but he's got to rein in Chud like they evidently did down the stretch. No more mad scientist play-calling.

2. Cam; Will he improve, regress, or stay the same? I think improvement can be expected. Third year in the league generally leads to a leap for most players, and Cam's entering his third year in the same system after learning 4 systems in 4 years (UF, Blinn JuCo, Auburn, CAR). Continuity benefits him, though I wouldn't be shocked to see a new QBs coach brought in. Still think improvement can be expected, though I'd certainly like to see him play well when the games actually matter, not after the season is already lost.

3. 2013 Schdule; Tough, middling, or cake? Too tough to tell - NFL shifts way too much every season. How many projected Minnesota to make the playoffs after picking third in the draft? Or the Colts to make such a turnaround?

4. 2013 Draft; What do we need? I echo the General Manager comments from earlier, but they need to absolutely NAIL this draft, as given the current cap hell they're in, FA is likely not going to be a viable alternative.

Could see this break out a couple ways, and not having the third rounder in a deep draft is going to hurt, as one of the primary needs (DT, CB, S, O-Line) will not be addressed until the 4th or 5th round, barring trade-backs. OT would be an excellent pick, though I'm not sure one falls to 14 that makes the pick worthwhile. I personally believe the DT position dries up much faster, and an elite, pocket-crushing DT is the best use of the first rounder, followed by the best secondary prospect available (either CB or S) in the 2nd. I say this because the O-line will improve simply by returning a healthy Khalil, and with a QB as mobile as Cam, it can mask some sub-par play on the line. However, if the elite DTs go early, and the elite OT is there, take him.

I believe they need to land multiple starters on D out of this draft, especially given the likely cap casualties. A starting CB or S, plus a DT would be a great way to start the first 2 rounds.

5. 2013 Free Agency; Who do we get? No one with any name value - not with the cap situation as it currently stands. Besides, it's not been the Panthers MO to make splashes in FA.

6. Rushing Attack: Rank based on 2013 fantasy pts Cam, Tolbert, DWilly, and JStew (non-ppr). I don't think DW is back, personally. And I think the workload given to DW down the stretch will make JStew a star (Lord help me, I still believe). If we're just pointing to rushing fantasy points, I'll say JStew, Cam, Tolbert, Tauren Poole. If you're saying total points, Cam, JStew, Tolbert, Tauren Poole.

I think Beason, Gamble and Dwill have certainly seen their last days as a panther. Wouldnt surprise me if they tried to restructure Gross and maybe steve smith.

Remember when Ken Lucas used to be the voice of the team, calling them out when they didn't perform? One meeting with Richardson and it was over. Chris Harris was the same way. I expect him to have a conference with Greg Hardy soon as well. Basically, anyone that shows any kind of emotion or has any edge to them will have to meet with Richardson and be forced to tone it down.
I remember when Jake Delhomme was the voice of the team, and he showed his emotions all the time. They didn't call him the rajun cajun for being mellow. Jake was very animated...especially with the refs. Steve Smith is another player who has always been very spirited, and he still talks smack, calls people out, and is in opposing players grills every chance he gets. I don't think Richardson has a problem with the coaches or team players showing some fire.

Chud is interviewing for the Cleveland HC job. Come on Cleveland!!
I prefer he stays...keeps things simplier for Newton.
Maybe. If he doesn't become obsessed with over complicated things like he did last offseason. Keeping things simple for Newton (and the offense as a whole) as the exact opposite of what he did going into his second year with the team. I hope he has learned a lesson, but he made the exact same mistake his second year in Cleveland. This is the first time he's been given a third year as OC though, so my hope is that he has learned enough in years 1 and 2 to maintain the improvement that was shown over the last month of the season. If he does that, I'll be thrilled to have him back. In fairness, the main reason I'd like Chud to get the job is on the hope that we'd bring in norv Turner as oc/assistant coach. Rivera needs someone with head coaching experience on the staff, and Turner is a fantastic oc.

Gettleman hired as GM. I'm a little shocked, as I expected beane to get the job. I'll admit that I was hoping for Ross so it would add some youth, but I like the Gettleman hire. It's someone coming in fresh from a team that has won three titles in his tenure. Hopefully Richardson will let him have some control to get this organization on track. Also, in hoping he knows how to handle the payroll a little better than Hurney.

Gettleman hired as GM. I'm a little shocked, as I expected beane to get the job.

I'll admit that I was hoping for Ross so it would add some youth, but I like the Gettleman hire. It's someone coming in fresh from a team that has won three titles in his tenure.

Hopefully Richardson will let him have some control to get this organization on track. Also, in hoping he knows how to handle the payroll a little better than Hurney.
The Hurney prodigy? Come on man

Gettleman hired as GM. I'm a little shocked, as I expected beane to get the job.

I'll admit that I was hoping for Ross so it would add some youth, but I like the Gettleman hire. It's someone coming in fresh from a team that has won three titles in his tenure.

Hopefully Richardson will let him have some control to get this organization on track. Also, in hoping he knows how to handle the payroll a little better than Hurney.
The Hurney prodigy? Come on man
Just had a gut feeling Richardson would want to keep the status quo. I'm glad it went the other way.

I'm surprised Carolina fans want to cut Deangelo go and go with Stewart, and not the opposite. Seems to me Deangelo has proven a lot more, and has never been given a chance to be a star, other than the single year he was a star. What a FA acquisition he could become.

I'm surprised Carolina fans want to cut Deangelo go and go with Stewart, and not the opposite. Seems to me Deangelo has proven a lot more, and has never been given a chance to be a star, other than the single year he was a star. What a FA acquisition he could become.
I'm not sure that it's about what Carolina fans WANT, it's just what has to happen. Stewart just signed a big contract, which would cause a huge cap hit. DeAngelo can be cut with very little of a hit. If we kept DeAngelo, he would cost us top 10 rb money. Basically, DeAngelo can't be kept for a reasonable amount, and Stewart can't be cut. I like both guys and would love to see us keep DeAngelo, but it's just not financially feasible.

Gettleman hired as GM. I'm a little shocked, as I expected beane to get the job. I'll admit that I was hoping for Ross so it would add some youth, but I like the Gettleman hire. It's someone coming in fresh from a team that has won three titles in his tenure. Hopefully Richardson will let him have some control to get this organization on track. Also, in hoping he knows how to handle the payroll a little better than Hurney.
It really was a no brainer if Ross wasn't the guy. I'm just happy that Jerry was able to make the right decision. Now, they just need Hurney to be picked up by some other team so we can off load some of our salary cap problems on him. I think that's the only way they are able to cut the dead weight and only Hurney would be dumb enough to take some of these contracts on. I'm ok with Rivera staying on another year, but what the hell is up with firing the LBs coach?? Really? That's the one shining spot on this team.Thanks BnB for pointing me to the new thread :thumbup: I don't get over here that much.

'BigJim® said:
I would love it if they can work out the numbers for him to stay. I just don't know if it is possible. We will see what happens this offseason.I like the Gettleman hire.

'BigJim® said:
I would love it if they can work out the numbers for him to stay. I just don't know if it is possible. We will see what happens this offseason.I like the Gettleman hire.
DeAngelo said he wouldn't have signed if he knew we were going to run this type of offense. I hope he gets to go somewhere and be the lead dog for a year. He had HOF talent.

'BigJim® said:
I dont think there is any way possible outside of a huge salary negotiation that Dwill stays. It is foolish to pay 2 running backs that type of money. More Hurney nuttiness. Hurney should have traded him this year when they had the chance.

Well, that's one way to get a new OC. Chud is going to Cleveland as the head coach. I hope it works out for the guy, but personally, I'm glad to get another OC in here...preferably one with head coaching experience.My fingers are crossed for Norv Turner, but I think there is a good chance that Shula is promoted from his current qb coaching role.Edit: Hearing rumors that Chud plans on bringing Norv in as part of his staff in Cleveland. If that's true, he is learning from riveras mistake by bringing in someone with HC experience.

Well, that's one way to get a new OC. Chud is going to Cleveland as the head coach. I hope it works out for the guy, but personally, I'm glad to get another OC in here...preferably one with head coaching experience.My fingers are crossed for Norv Turner, but I think there is a good chance that Shula is promoted from his current qb coaching role.Edit: Hearing rumors that Chud plans on bringing Norv in as part of his staff in Cleveland. If that's true, he is learning from riveras mistake by bringing in someone with HC experience.
:lmao: Gettleman is so hosed. Now he's got to hire an OC Rivera likes and his potential 2014 HC likes.

Why wouldn't Gettleman make a play for Norv Turner as new OC? I wouldn't want him as a HC, but he would make some team a fine OC.

1. I'm undecided about Rivera staying. I hope the team rallies around him and doesn't start off 1-6 again. They have shown that they can compete with anyone. It was clear that no one wanted to play the Panthers the last month of the season. 2. I think Cam will stay solid. Just hope he stays healthy. I am curious how the offense will change with a new OC coming in, though.3. I'd say the schedule is middle of the road with the AFC East. NFC west is a tough stretch. 4. I agree with your thoughts on the draft. I wish we could find a lock down CB who could eliminate the need to double the other team's top WR. Other needs are WR and maybe DL/OL.5. It would be great to land Dwayne Bowe. I'd rather have a big physical WR than someone like Wallace. I doubt they sign anyone like that, though.6. I like the rushing attack we had this year. I hope they keep them all.

:lmao: Gettleman is so hosed. Now he's got to hire an OC Rivera likes and his potential 2014 HC likes.
I know it won't happen, but unless Turner (similar system) comes in, or shula us promoted, I think Rivera should be fired as a result of this news. If the offensive system will be changing anyway, why not go ahead and start fresh? With so many open positions to fill, it would be the smart move, especially since Rivera is likely gone after the season anyway, if things aren't turned around.

I know it won't happen, but unless Turner (similar system) comes in, or shula us promoted, I think Rivera should be fired as a result of this news. If the offensive system will be changing anyway, why not go ahead and start fresh? With so many open positions to fill, it would be the smart move, especially since Rivera is likely gone after the season anyway, if things aren't turned around.
Many may not like Jerry Richardson, but I believe he's mostly a man of his word.

'BassNBrew said:
'solorca said:
'BassNBrew said:
'solorca said:
Many may not like Jerry Richardson, but I believe he's mostly a man of his word.
I agree with you. I can't imagine him actually making the move, but I think that for the good of the team's future, it would probably be the better move. My opinion could completely change if an experienced OC with some head coaching experience is hired though. Turner, Whisenhunt, Gailey, and even Mularky would all be decent choices (Mularky would be my last option). On another subject, it looks like Taub didn't get the head coaching job in Chicago. If we can find a way to swing him as special teams coach, it could be a HUGE addition to the coaching staff. I know that he's already interviewed and I have to assume that the job is his if he wants it...but I know he has some HC interviews and other options. I think that he may end up in an assistant coach role if we bring him in.

'Jayrok said:
Why wouldn't Gettleman make a play for Norv Turner as new OC? I wouldn't want him as a HC, but he would make some team a fine OC.
Well...there are rumblings that Turner said he'd go with Chud to Cleveland should he be hired and that's why Cleveland offered him over the others. Not sure how true that is though.

I think we will try to interview Norv, but all signs seem to point toward him going to Cleveland. On the OC front, it looks like we've got an interview scheduled with Hue Jackson. It's not a sexy pick, but he has head coaching experience, and has a lot of coaching experience in general. I wouldn't hate it if he was signed.

I think we will try to interview Norv, but all signs seem to point toward him going to Cleveland. On the OC front, it looks like we've got an interview scheduled with Hue Jackson. It's not a sexy pick, but he has head coaching experience, and has a lot of coaching experience in general. I wouldn't hate it if he was signed.
At this stage in teh game Hue Jackson would be a home run. I would love to lock him up.

Looks like Shurmur is coming in as well. Jackson and Shurmur probably aren't my top choices, but they both are quality guys with head coaching experience. I like the direction of this search.. And I think Rivera realizes he needs that experience on the staff.I'd prefer Jackson over Shurmur by a great deal, if they end up being the top choices. I'm guessing there will be a number of other options interviewed, along with Shula (who I assume will be in the running).

Hue Jackson would be an absolute home run. Power running scheme with a vertical offense. In his last stop as a true OC in Oakland, he had a top 10 offense in yardage, and I think was 6th overall in scoring -- with Jason Campbell as his QB (and some Gradkowski mixed in). The Coryell principles Cam has learned from Chud would be integrated. Makes perfect sense - and the offense would likely explode. Get it done Gettleman.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Hue Jackson coming in. I'd still prefer Norv Turner, but he's second in my book right now of the available options.

Jonathan Stewart just had arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle per a tweet from Schefter. Glad to see him taking care of that...Still think he has an unfair rep for injuries. Prior to this year, what was the number of actual games missed? Four? I think that's close. Poor luck this year with severe sprains to both ankles. I'd still buy if I didn't already own him everywhere. Especially if Hue Jackson becomes the new OC. I'd say there's a 65% chance Stew is the guy next year with DW gone, especially considering DW's contract and Carolina's cap nightmare.

By Steve Harrisonsharrison@charlotteobserver.comPosted: Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013 The Charlotte City Council has given an early endorsement to the Carolina Panthers’ request for $125 million in public money for stadium renovations, voting 7-2 to gauge the support of the N.C. General Assembly.Under the city’s plan, discussed Monday night, a 1 percent tax on prepared food and beverages would be increased to 2 percent. That money would help pay for renovations for Bank of America Stadium, the team’s home since 1996.Voting to advance the proposal – which still needs approval from the legislature and Republican Gov. Pat McCrory – were Democrats John Autry, LaWana Mayfield, James Mitchell, David Howard, Beth Pickering, Claire Fallon and Republican Andy Dulin.Republican Warren Cooksey and Democrat Michael Barnes voted no. Democrat Patsy Kinsey had left the meeting, and Mayor Pro Tem Patrick Cannon, a Democrat, abstained from the nonbinding vote due to a possible conflict. Mayor Anthony Foxx, a Democrat, didn’t vote. He has indicated in the past that he supports helping the team.The vote was an indication to the legislature that the city supports the proposal, though some council members said they are still negotiating with the Panthers. A number of council members said they believe that McCrory and legislative leaders also support the plan.If the General Assembly approves the tax increase, possibly next month, the City Council would then take a vote in open session to enact it.The total cost of the stadium renovations is reportedly more than $200 million. Panthers owner Jerry Richardson is also expected to ask the state for money, according to people who attended the meeting.Some council members are concerned about the team’s long-term future in Charlotte. Richardson, 76, has said he won’t move the team. But it’s unclear what his succession plan is, and some fear the team could be sold and moved, possibly to Los Angeles, which doesn’t have an NFL team. Richardson had a heart transplant in 2009.Two council members said the city is negotiating with the Panthers for some level of assurance the team would remain in Charlotte as a condition for the $125 million.Monday’s meeting was attended by Richardson and team President Danny Morrison. Both made a presentation to council members, and then left the closed session meeting before the vote. The team didn’t talk to the media Monday night. During a news conference Tuesday to introduce the team’s new general manager, Dave Gettleman, the team said it wouldn’t answer any questions about the stadium renovations. The team referred all questions to the city of Charlotte.The city’s decision to discuss the Panthers request in closed session was different from how it handled a request last year from the Charlotte Knights baseball team for money to build an uptown baseball stadium.When the Knights asked for city help, the issue was discussed in public meetings.Some council members said Tuesday they didn’t know why the Knights stadium deliberations were held in public, while the Panthers were allowed to meet with council members in private.“I don’t have an answer for that,” said Cooksey. He added that he would not discuss what was said in a closed session meeting.Pickering said the Panthers are “important” to Charlotte and a public debate over the plan could have led to “misimpressions.”She said the Knights’ desire for an uptown stadium had been discussed for years before council members considered giving the team money.Higher food and bar taxesCouncil members had previously believed that the city would increase Mecklenburg County’s hotel/motel occupancy tax to pay for stadium renovations. But city staff told council members Monday that the hotel/motel tax is high enough already.The total Mecklenburg tax on hotel and motel rooms is 15.25 percent. The tax was raised by two percentage points last decade to pay for the $200 million NASCAR Hall of Fame.Staff members instead turned to a countywide 1 percent tax on prepared food and beverages that was enacted more than 20 years ago to pay for the Charlotte Convention Center. That tax generates about $24 million a year.An increase in that tax may only be for the city of Charlotte – not the entire county. If limited to the city of Charlotte, that increase would reportedly generate about $18 million or $19 million a year.If the tax is approved, the overall sales tax for restaurant and bar purchases inside the city would increase to 9.25 percent. For a city resident who spends $50 a week on prepared food and beverages, the tax increase would cost about 50 cents a week, or $26 a year.The N.C. Restaurant and Lodging Association has said in the past that restaurants shouldn’t be singled out for special taxes. The current president, Lynn Minges, couldn’t be reached for comment Tuesday.Chris Walker, a spokesperson for McCrory, said the governor has no comment on the issue and hasn’t been approached about it.Jordan Shaw, a spokesperson for House Speaker Thom Tillis, a Republican from Cornelius, couldn’t be reached for comment.The possible tax increase comes as Foxx and the City Council are trying to pass a multi-year capital program, which could cost between $500 million and $900 million. Any capital plan would require a property tax increase.Laying the groundworkThere have been indications for months that the City Council was open to helping the city’s NFL team.In October, several council members toured MetLife Stadium, a new $1.6 billion facility in New Jersey used by the New York Giants and New York Jets. The stadium is one of the league’s most modern and luxurious, and public officials and business leaders were impressed by the stadium’s exclusive suites and club areas. The trip was part of the Charlotte Chamber’s inter-city visit. Richardson flew to New York to speak with council members and others on the tour. A day after the stadium tour, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell told the Charlotte delegation that the city could one day host a Super Bowl, so long as Bank of America Stadium is renovated and the city adds hotel rooms uptown.The team has given only a few details of what a renovation could entail. The team told the Observer last fall that Richardson wants to add escalators to make it easier for fans to reach the upper bowl. In addition, the team wants to improve its video boards.During Monday’s meeting, the team reportedly told council members it would also improve suites.When Richardson built Bank of America Stadium in the mid 1990s, the public contributed $60 million toward infrastructure. But the team – along with people who bought Personal Seat Licenses and luxury suites – paid for the stadium’s construction. The stadium cost about $187 million.The team has often struggled on the field. But the value of the franchise has grown, according to an estimate by Forbes magazine, which has said the team is worth $1.05 billion. The fee paid to the NFL for getting the franchise was $140 million.A decade after the stadium opened, the Charlotte Bobcats basketball team got a much more generous deal from the public. The city of Charlotte paid the entire cost of the Bobcats’ home Time Warner Cable Arena uptown – $265 million. Other NFL teams have received significant public support.In Minnesota, taxpayers are paying for half of the cost of a planned $975 million stadium for the Vikings. In Indianapolis, the public paid for almost all of the new $720 million stadium for the NFL’s Colts, which opened in 2008.The owner of the Miami Dolphins, Stephen Ross, said Monday he wants to spend $400 million upgrading his team’s stadium. He asked for $200 million in public funds.MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, was paid for primarily by the Giants and the Jets.Raising the food and beverage tax inside the city of Charlotte could generate more money annually than would be needed for a debt payment on $125 million. It’s possible the extra money could be used for other projects, such as a renovation of Bojangles’ Coliseum.

I for one am against this corporate wellfare. Read yesterday that Charlotte is the 18th largest US city and 5th largest metro area. I jerry wants to give up that market then adois. We should not be paying for his stadium especially when he's reaping in huge profits and the value of the team keeps increasing. I for one will be boycotting any Charlotte bars/food.

I for one am against this corporate wellfare. Read yesterday that Charlotte is the 18th largest US city and 5th largest metro area. I jerry wants to give up that market then adois. We should not be paying for his stadium especially when he's reaping in huge profits and the value of the team keeps increasing. I for one will be boycotting any Charlotte bars/food.
I agree. This partcularly irks me because I spend a pretty large portion of my income on bars and food while not even liking the Panthers. At least it is a better use of 100mm than the ####### streetcar, but I'm sure Fox will find the money for that sitting in my pocket too. :thumbdown:

I agree. This partcularly irks me because I spend a pretty large portion of my income on bars and food while not even liking the Panthers. At least it is a better use of 100mm than the ####### streetcar, but I'm sure Fox will find the money for that sitting in my pocket too. :thumbdown:
Its a 1% change dude.

Its a 1% change dude.
I don't like any of my taxes going to corporate welfare, especially not when it is this explicit. Why don't you care about your taxes going up?

Users who are viewing this thread