BassNBrew

****The 2016 Carolina Panthers Thread****

5,740 posts in this topic

Plus, someone made a good point in a tweet to Darin Gantt that went like this..."Cam Newton learned three new systems in three straight years. National championship, national championship, Rookie of the year. Continuity is overrated."

I don't think that is a good point.
Why not? It proves that Cam Newton has handled changing systems with success in the past. This entire signing is based on the "continuity" aspect that Shula brings, which in my opinion is complete and utter bull####. As I mentioned above, Hue Jackson has actually run the Coryell system that Chudzinski ran. Shula however, has never run that system. The only continuity that Shula brings is the fact that he was already on the team and the players know who he is. In terms of the system itself, Jackson has more experience running it. I have no idea why people seem to think that Shula will just stick with the same offensive gameplan we currently run, when he has no background running it.I'd love for Shula to come in and keep the offense going at the same level they were at the end of this past season, but I am not expecting it. I think Jackson would have had a much better chance of sustaining the late season progress. If they bring back Jim Skipper, it would go a long way...at least for the running backs.The one thing that I will give Shula is the fact that he is comfortable with Cam, and I'll hope that, regardless of the system he employs, he'll be able to use that to his advantage to build the best possible system around him. Edited by solorca

Missed this earlier, but Jim Skipper was hired back as the RB coach (according to tweets from Stewart and Deangelo).First positive thing I've heard today. THIS was a great hire.

Edited by solorca

With the Shula hire, is it safe to officially assume the GM here in Carolina is simply a puppet to Richardson, that the Herney firing was a mere distraction and that things aren't really going to change much going forward? Or should I wait until after the draft? I really liked the Gettleman hire IF he was going to be allowed to do his job, but I'm hard pressed to believe Gettleman thinks Shula is the best option available for OC.I'm quickly becoming disenfranchised with this organization. I love the team, but it's getting harder and harder to support them because of the management.

With the Shula hire, is it safe to officially assume the GM here in Carolina is simply a puppet to Richardson, that the Herney firing was a mere distraction and that things aren't really going to change much going forward? Or should I wait until after the draft? I really liked the Gettleman hire IF he was going to be allowed to do his job, but I'm hard pressed to believe Gettleman thinks Shula is the best option available for OC.I'm quickly becoming disenfranchised with this organization. I love the team, but it's getting harder and harder to support them because of the management.

I would think that Gettleman would want his own coach and that coach would want his own OC. Gettleman doesn't want to hire his own OC only to either have to fire him next year or limit his coaching options by telling the candidates next year they are stuck with the OC. This selection makes it extremely easier to completely clean house next year if necessary.Furthermore, if I'm a big name candidate I don't take this job without a huge salary and several guaranteed years. It would be stupid for the organization to invest that amount of money in someoen they will more likely than not fire next year.Unfortunately you'll just have to be patient for a year and hope for the best in the meantime.

I would think that Gettleman would want his own coach and that coach would want his own OC. Gettleman doesn't want to hire his own OC only to either have to fire him next year or limit his coaching options by telling the candidates next year they are stuck with the OC. This selection makes it extremely easier to completely clean house next year if necessary.Furthermore, if I'm a big name candidate I don't take this job without a huge salary and several guaranteed years. It would be stupid for the organization to invest that amount of money in someoen they will more likely than not fire next year.Unfortunately you'll just have to be patient for a year and hope for the best in the meantime.
I hadn't thought about it this way. I guess that makes sense...assuming that this IS Rivera's last year. I just don't know what to think of this staff and ownership and I am downright fearful of Shula given his history. It certainly doesn't point to optimism.

I agree with the sentiments of Gettleman essentially giving Rivera the rope to hang himself with the OC hire. If Rivera was more concerned with self preservation than hiring the best man for the job, then shame on him. That should be evident over time, and if Shula is truly out of his element, it'll cost Rivera his job as no one else on the staff could replace Shula as play caller in-season.I personally think that Gettleman didn't want to force his guy into this situation. While I believe Hue Jackson would have been the best hire, I think the final decision came down to Rivera. Gettleman likely sees this as a multi-year fix, which is frustrating as fans of the team, but I'm fine with it if it actually gets the roster back on-track. I don't believe the hype that the team is a coach away or a player or two away from greatness... there are simply too many holes and too much salary cap hell to overcome in a single offseason.I have a feeling Gettleman fixes the cap this offseason, regardless of what it does to the roster, and drafts the BPA for the future, regardless of current team needs. I'd watch for an Eric Fisher first round pick (if he doesn't continue to explode his draft stock into the top 10) as the team sets plans in place for life after Gross -- and the OT position is very thin in this draft. I'd expect a big focus on the lines with potentially a S or WR thrown in late, but I don't personally expect that splash this year. If the team can rebuild the lines and reset the cap situation this offseason, they position themselves to make a big move for Sammy Watkins or Marquis Lee next offseason - two guys that are much better prospects than this current group.If the roster reshaping results in another poor season, Gettleman has Rivera in place to take the fall. Then he can rebuild the coaching staff as he sees fit. Personally, I'm hoping this is the route things go as I was never a huge fan of RR in the first place, and didn't like the hire. If I look in my non-existent crystal ball for the future, I see Mike Zimmer, Panthers HC 2014. Zimmer's only knock has been that he's very matter-of-fact, tells-it-like-it-is in interviews, which doesn't go over well with everyone. But from what (admittedly little) we've seen from Gettleman, I'd guess that approach would mesh very well with his personality, and Zimmer is one helluva coach.Just my :2cents:

Jim Skipper, former RBs coach under Fox, who was beloved by Stew and DW, was recently let go by the Titans, which makes me wonder if Carolina will try to bring him back.

Glad to see they got Skip back... the RBs loved him, and still do. Hopefully Skipper helps revive the run game, and Shula doesn't get too cute. The offense could be pretty stout if they draft an OT and an OG in the early rounds, lean on the running game, and utilize play-action for downfield strikes to Smiff, LaFell, and Olsen.From what I've read, the knock on Shula last time was that he was too conservative in Tampa during his OC tenure. I hope he doesn't overcorrect to being too risky. Conservative will work well with the personnel here, especially if they managed to land Fischer at OT in the first, and a strong OG in the 2nd. A line left-right of Fischer, Silatolu, Khalil, 2nd Round OG, Gross would be pretty nasty with the RBs and Cam leading the offense.Yes the defense would need some help as well, but that o-line would be set for years, with only Gross needing replacement in the near-term.

I agree with the sentiments of Gettleman essentially giving Rivera the rope to hang himself with the OC hire. If Rivera was more concerned with self preservation than hiring the best man for the job, then shame on him. That should be evident over time, and if Shula is truly out of his element, it'll cost Rivera his job as no one else on the staff could replace Shula as play caller in-season.I personally think that Gettleman didn't want to force his guy into this situation. While I believe Hue Jackson would have been the best hire, I think the final decision came down to Rivera. Gettleman likely sees this as a multi-year fix, which is frustrating as fans of the team, but I'm fine with it if it actually gets the roster back on-track. I don't believe the hype that the team is a coach away or a player or two away from greatness... there are simply too many holes and too much salary cap hell to overcome in a single offseason.I have a feeling Gettleman fixes the cap this offseason, regardless of what it does to the roster, and drafts the BPA for the future, regardless of current team needs. I'd watch for an Eric Fisher first round pick (if he doesn't continue to explode his draft stock into the top 10) as the team sets plans in place for life after Gross -- and the OT position is very thin in this draft. I'd expect a big focus on the lines with potentially a S or WR thrown in late, but I don't personally expect that splash this year. If the team can rebuild the lines and reset the cap situation this offseason, they position themselves to make a big move for Sammy Watkins or Marquis Lee next offseason - two guys that are much better prospects than this current group.If the roster reshaping results in another poor season, Gettleman has Rivera in place to take the fall. Then he can rebuild the coaching staff as he sees fit. Personally, I'm hoping this is the route things go as I was never a huge fan of RR in the first place, and didn't like the hire. If I look in my non-existent crystal ball for the future, I see Mike Zimmer, Panthers HC 2014. Zimmer's only knock has been that he's very matter-of-fact, tells-it-like-it-is in interviews, which doesn't go over well with everyone. But from what (admittedly little) we've seen from Gettleman, I'd guess that approach would mesh very well with his personality, and Zimmer is one helluva coach.Just my :2cents:

I hope you guys are right. I can't get the idea out of my mind that Richardson is behind keeping Rivera around and he's behind promoting Shula. I guess next year we'll find out. If they have another season like the last two, I'd expect them both to be gone if Gettleman is truly calling the shots.

The simple fact is that without upgrades, the team has a much higher probability of leaving the city. If they leave the city, the revenue loss to the downtown area, including restaurants, would be quite large. Sure, it's a possibility they could hang around without the upgrades...but the city probably didn't want to risk that. Especially now that there is news that Richardson has a two year plan in place to sell the team after he passes (which is, let's be honest, probably not that far away).I don't like additional taxes anymore than anyone else, but this is one of the more reasonable ones I've seen recently. It affects an area where people are likely to pay the tax without even noticing it exists.

The NFL won't leave this market. Just read yesterday Charlotte is the 18th largest city and has the 5th largest metro area. Enough is enough. The city keeps falling for these boondoggles and increasing taxes to pay for them while cutting out high schools sports and education funds.
Its one percent dude. Settle down
The interesting thing is that the 1% is really double of what's needed to pay the loan off over 20 years, so what is the other .5% going towards? If I can find the article again, I'll link to it, but basically, the article said that the interest on the loan over 20 years would be roughly $8m for the $120 or $125M loan, can't remember exactly. The 1% tax increase was expected to bring in approximately $16M a year, so feasibly, the loan would could be paid off over 9 years instead of 20. These are rough numbers going off of what I can remember from the article, but it does bring up the interesting point of what does the city council have in mind for the extra revenue. The author thought that maybe it would be to have more hotels added downtown in an effort to bring the Superbowl to Charlotte (apparently there isn't enough hotel/motel rooms by NFL standards to have it here).

With the Shula hire, is it safe to officially assume the GM here in Carolina is simply a puppet to Richardson, that the Herney firing was a mere distraction and that things aren't really going to change much going forward? Or should I wait until after the draft? I really liked the Gettleman hire IF he was going to be allowed to do his job, but I'm hard pressed to believe Gettleman thinks Shula is the best option available for OC.

I'm quickly becoming disenfranchised with this organization. I love the team, but it's getting harder and harder to support them because of the management.

Another example of my issues with the organization's ownership. Dope

With the Shula hire, is it safe to officially assume the GM here in Carolina is simply a puppet to Richardson, that the Herney firing was a mere distraction and that things aren't really going to change much going forward? Or should I wait until after the draft? I really liked the Gettleman hire IF he was going to be allowed to do his job, but I'm hard pressed to believe Gettleman thinks Shula is the best option available for OC.

I'm quickly becoming disenfranchised with this organization. I love the team, but it's getting harder and harder to support them because of the management.

Did you think he was losing money?

What exactly is your issue with that?

Not impressed with that article.

"Newton took a lot of big hits" - Anyone else remember seeing these big hits?

LaFel a proper compliment for Smith - Lafel doesn't start for half the teams in the league.

We need a RB - :lmao:

LB - PFW please pass me some of what you're smoking.

I have a problem with Richardson and his lying. That should be clear. Edited by The Commish

I have a problem with Richardson and his lying. That should be clear.
I must have missed the lying part.

I have a problem with Richardson and his lying. That should be clear.
I must have missed the lying part.
It happens when you don't read the information posted...no worries.

Domenik Hixon, Panthers reportedly strike contract

I for one am against this corporate wellfare. Read yesterday that Charlotte is the 18th largest US city and 5th largest metro area. I jerry wants to give up that market then adois. We should not be paying for his stadium especially when he's reaping in huge profits and the value of the team keeps increasing. I for one will be boycotting any Charlotte bars/food.

I agree. This partcularly irks me because I spend a pretty large portion of my income on bars and food while not even liking the Panthers.At least it is a better use of 100mm than the ####### streetcar, but I'm sure Fox will find the money for that sitting in my pocket too. :thumbdown:
Its a 1% change dude.
I don't like any of my taxes going to corporate welfare, especially not when it is this explicit. Why don't you care about your taxes going up?
If its only 1% and guarantees that Panthers will be in Charlotte forever then I wouldnt care plus the renovations should be pretty sweet.
Do you even live in Charlotte?I don't really see what needs to be renovated at BofA Stadium either, it is a pretty nice stadium that isn't very old. Worst thing about it are how steep of an angle the upper deck is at, but that isn't being changed.
Have you been to any new or recently upgraded NFL stadiums recently? BOA is clearly behind the times in a number of areas. Some things as small as better food options, to things as large as stadium wide escalators and much needed jumbotron upgrade.Personally, in terms of tax increases, this is one of the least intrusive ones that I've seen. A 1% restaurant sales tax will be largely unnoticed by a vast majority of the people who go out.Are you really going to notice a 50 cent increase on a $50 dinner? Or a 7 cent increase on a $7 fast food pickup?Charlotte got a really good deal when the Panthers came to town, funded almost entirely through PSL's. Most areas don't have that luxury. If it was an overall sales tax increase, I could see the anger...but I just don't see it being that big of a deal since it's just a restaurant tax hike.

The term "much needed jumbotron upgrade" puts this whole issue into context.

I could care less about an additional tax on restaurants to support a sports team if it brings more money to the city, but a newer jumbortron is not a "need".

Well....at least they didn't take a LB or RB....this is progress :thumbup:

And it appears that Herny landed on his feet nicely. I wasn't aware Dallas hired him as GM :lol:

Hoping we have a chance to get the WR Allen or maybe CB/S Amerson.

Still lots of talent on the board and I would imagine the run on QB's is about to start pushing even more talent into the 3rd round

I'm happy with the Star pick. Hopefully it works out, and the Panthers will now improve a lot against the run.

I'm happy with the Star pick. Hopefully it works out, and the Panthers will now improve a lot against the run.

If Star is who we think he is the Panthers probably have the best front 7 in the NFC South and one of the best in the NFL. I Kind of hope we can follow up with Larry Warford. Be a plug in starter at RG that we desperately need. Still need a tackle but I would go Warford if available.

Oh and while I am late to the stadium discussion we should have never given them a dime. In fact Richardson pissed me off with his whole" I just paid off debt why should I incur more?". Because you own it and you already get enough tax breaks jerk. What about the guy who buys a factory and then pays it down should he get tax money so he doesn't have to incur any more debt when he wants to upgrade? I am totally against giving a billion dollar business in a multi-billion dollar industry any welfare when we can't keep teachers in the classroom for lack of money.

Oh and while I am late to the stadium discussion we should have never given them a dime. In fact Richardson pissed me off with his whole" I just paid off debt why should I incur more?". Because you own it and you already get enough tax breaks jerk. What about the guy who buys a factory and then pays it down should he get tax money so he doesn't have to incur any more debt when he wants to upgrade? I am totally against giving a billion dollar business in a multi-billion dollar industry any welfare when we can't keep teachers in the classroom for lack of money.

I'm already going out of my way to take my business to Iredell County whenever possible.

If Star is who we think he is the Panthers probably have the best front 7 in the NFC South and one of the best in the NFL.

I think it's a really good pick. The Panthers achilles heel on D has been stopping the run, and Star should help a lot in that area. The cats defensive front is looking good.

Edited by meanjoegreen

If Star is who we think he is the Panthers probably have the best front 7 in the NFC South and one of the best in the NFL. I Kind of hope we can follow up with Larry Warford. Be a plug in starter at RG that we desperately need. Still need a tackle but I would go Warford if available.

I find this pick interesting. Last nite someone was talking about how it would free up Luke to make tackles and Hardee/CJ to make get more sacks. I thought that was already happening. I'm kind of blah on the pick. I'm just not seeing stopping the run as a priortiy, especially when facing Ryan/Brees a 1/4 of the season. I recall reading that DTs are one of the highest bust postions in the first round. There really aren't a ton of household name difference makers at this postion in the league.

All that said, there wasn't anyone I really liked in that position in the draft. Wish we had traded with the Vikings for more picks.

I find this pick interesting. Last nite someone was talking about how it would free up Luke to make tackles and Hardee/CJ to make get more sacks. I thought that was already happening. I'm kind of blah on the pick. I'm just not seeing stopping the run as a priortiy, especially when facing Ryan/Brees a 1/4 of the season. I recall reading that DTs are one of the highest bust postions in the first round. There really aren't a ton of household name difference makers at this postion in the league.

All that said, there wasn't anyone I really liked in that position in the draft. Wish we had traded with the Vikings for more picks.

Well Star should be more than a run stopper. He should get pressure up the middle and he should demand double teams. He is going to give centers and guards fits hopefully. This should mean our LB's spend less time shedding and more time tackling. It should also mean the ends, especially Hardy, see far fewer double teams making them more effective.The only other guy I would have taken here was Trufant. We had to get an impact starter and I think they were the last two sure things left.

I'm already going out of my way to take my business to Iredell County whenever possible.

To me this is as bad as the uptown basketball stadium deal.

Stadium was worse. At least this time they didn't directly piss on us after we said no.

Meanwhile we sit in gridlock every day on the north side while Iredell County continues to open new exits, lay pavement, and drive the value of ugly land adjacent to 77. Really wish exit 23 to 30 cound sucede from this county and leave the rest of you with your scoreboards, cable box, choo choos, and other toys to play with.

Well Star should be more than a run stopper. He should get pressure up the middle and he should demand double teams. He is going to give centers and guards fits hopefully. This should mean our LB's spend less time shedding and more time tackling. It should also mean the ends, especially Hardy, see far fewer double teams making them more effective.The only other guy I would have taken here was Trufant. We had to get an impact starter and I think they were the last two sure things left.

:goodposting:

Stadium was worse. At least this time they didn't directly piss on us after we said no.

Meanwhile we sit in gridlock every day on the north side while Iredell County continues to open new exits, lay pavement, and drive the value of ugly land adjacent to 77. Really wish exit 23 to 30 cound sucede from this county and leave the rest of you with your scoreboards, cable box, choo choos, and other toys to play with.

Now you know that isn't just the county laying asphalt that's a state thing and Mecklenburg has always gotten the short end of that stick. I support the trains. I think the development along the South Blvd corridor speaks for itself. I am not a supporter of the trolley though. In fact if they wanted to throw money JR well it's the first thing I agree with our new governor on, use the trolley money. As for the cable box and scoreboards I am with you on that.

I didn't see the pick as a "stopping the run" kind of pick...I think in the bigger picture it's much more of a "collapse the pocket so the QBs can't step up pick.

Now...they need to follow up with either a CB or Safety IMO.

I didn't see the pick as a "stopping the run" kind of pick...I think in the bigger picture it's much more of a "collapse the pocket so the QBs can't step up pick.

Now...they need to follow up with either a CB or Safety IMO.

Yeah this is what Gettleman said. Keep QBs from stepping up and force them to the outside where hopefully one of our ends is waiting for them.

I LOVE the Star pick. He was my favorite player in the draft, and I honestly thought there was no chance we would get him. Even though a lot of people thought Floyd was the better pick, I think Star made a lot more sense than Floyd. Star struggles a bit on his pass rush, but we have been pretty good with getting pressure off of the ends, and Dwan is pretty solid as well. Star helps a ton in the run game.Our secondary is weak, but the front 7 should mask that pretty well. I am loving the look of our defense now.

Edited by solorca

In the interest of full disclosure, I have watched exactly ZERO seconds on this kid. There were rumblings that he took plays off and wasn't on all the time. Perhaps I'm gun shy given the last guy they had with this label, but is it close to the same situation as with Peppers??