BassNBrew

****The 2017 Carolina Panthers Thread**** - mmmm, Mahi-mahi

6,367 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Jayrok said:

McDermott interviewed Ken Dorsey for OC in Buffalo.  Part of me says that would be good news, but it would leave us two offensive coaches short.  Cam really regressed this year.  Not sure all of that is Dorsey's fault, but Cam's issues with mechanics lingered the whole season.  Could be a fresh start for Cam to have a new coach in his ear.  

Jerricho Cotchery still lives in Charlotte.  Could he be a guy that could replace Proehl as WR coach?

Cam needs a better QB coach. Maybe not all on Dorsey, but Cam certainly didn't improve on 2015 or even come close to staying the same. That was a really big step back after a big step forward last year.

11 hours ago, stbugs said:

Cam needs a better QB coach. Maybe not all on Dorsey, but Cam certainly didn't improve on 2015 or even come close to staying the same. That was a really big step back after a big step forward last year.

Looking back I don't believe Cam ever truly recovered from.the beating he took in the SB. And when he continued to get beat up from game one on he had happy feet. He wasn't secure in the pocket. I'm not sure coaching can fix that. Not getting beaten up every week can fix that. But Cam does need serious offseason work with a coach, he has to fix his mechanics. Now.

I think Cam's mechanics ship has sailed long ago and it doesn't matter who is coaching him. He has had years to TCB in that department and has not. I am skeptical of his prospects with a new system as well. I feel like Shula is doing what he has to do not necessarily what he may want to do. I wish I could be more optimistic. 

Been quiet for awhile here.  You've seen mock drafts with many different guys picked at #8.  Have you changed your mind in the last month or so on who you'd like to see the cats draft at #8?

I've found myself changing up some what.  I do not want to draft Cam Robinson at #8.  I'm okay with Fournette (I still like Cook better, but think we could drop down some spots to draft him), Barnett, Thomas, not sure about Taco yet... one of the top CB or S.  Other than that I'd like to trade down.

Whoever they get at #8, I want someone who has immediate impact either at DE, CB, S, or RB.  I hope they sign an OT or two in FA.  Then draft Bolles if he's there at #40.  There are a lot of OT in FA.

Assuming Whitworth stays in Cincy, I'd like to see them work out Matt Kalil, Kelvin Beachum, and Ryan Clady (who were both just rumored to be FA soon).  Get a veteran left tackle and draft another OT in the second or third round.  Hopefully they sign 2 or 3 tackles before camp.  

Either way, I want a play maker at #8 whether RB or defense edge or backfield.  Fill OT needs in FA.  

Yeah some interesting vets coming on the market at tackle I'd like to take a look at.

Bradberry was PFFs top rated rookie corner last season. 

1 hour ago, NCCommish said:

Yeah some interesting vets coming on the market at tackle I'd like to take a look at.

There are a bunch now. None of them are without warts, but the OT class (especially for LTs) in this draft is ugly and DG has already been on record saying it isn't pretty. Having more potential options in FA isn't bad. Whitworth (pricey but best, shouldn't be long contract), Reilly (expensive/longer contract), Okung (is he any good anymore), Clady (hurt all the time), Albert (32, so not too old and did start last year) and Beachum (struggled last year coming off ACL, but highly rated in 2014/2015 and only 27).

Honestly, if Beachum checks out medically now, he'd be the best choice as he's been a solid LT. Reiff was a LT, then a RT. I don't think he's ever been as highly rated at LT as Beachum (he's older than Beachum), plus I think Reiff could be more expensive. Reiff doesn't have any of the age/injury concerns as everyone else.

I think my preference would be:

1. Beachum - If he checks out he could be a long term answer at LT since he's only 27 (will be 28 before season).

2. Whitworth - He is the best of the older, short term answers.

3. Albert - I think he's the next best of the older, short term answers. He hasn't been really healthy the last few years, tends to miss 1-4 games every year and 7 in 2013.

4. Forgot Reiff - I think if we like him, he could also be a longer term answer, but he's older than Beachum and ranking wise not as good a LT. He's certainly not as good as the top 3 LTs, although Whitworth and Albert could drop at some point due to age.

5. The rest. Let's be honest, Clady has played in only 27 games in the last 4 years and he's going to be 31 when the season starts. Okung was dumped by Seattle because he was bad.

Edited by stbugs

23 hours ago, Jayrok said:

Been quiet for awhile here.  You've seen mock drafts with many different guys picked at #8.  Have you changed your mind in the last month or so on who you'd like to see the cats draft at #8?

I've found myself changing up some what.  I do not want to draft Cam Robinson at #8.  I'm okay with Fournette (I still like Cook better, but think we could drop down some spots to draft him), Barnett, Thomas, not sure about Taco yet... one of the top CB or S.  Other than that I'd like to trade down.

Whoever they get at #8, I want someone who has immediate impact either at DE, CB, S, or RB.  I hope they sign an OT or two in FA.  Then draft Bolles if he's there at #40.  There are a lot of OT in FA.

Assuming Whitworth stays in Cincy, I'd like to see them work out Matt Kalil, Kelvin Beachum, and Ryan Clady (who were both just rumored to be FA soon).  Get a veteran left tackle and draft another OT in the second or third round.  Hopefully they sign 2 or 3 tackles before camp.  

Either way, I want a play maker at #8 whether RB or defense edge or backfield.  Fill OT needs in FA.  

Harbaugh got his hands on Taco and all of a sudden sky was the limit.  Kid loves the game of football and doesn't quit.  His progression proves he can be taught and is willing to be taught.  I'm not sure he's value at #8, but I'd be happy watching him on this team.

45 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Harbaugh got his hands on Taco and all of a sudden sky was the limit.  Kid loves the game of football and doesn't quit.  His progression proves he can be taught and is willing to be taught.  I'm not sure he's value at #8, but I'd be happy watching him on this team.

I trust their judgment, I just haven't seen much of Taco to form an opinion.  I just feel like #8 is a little too high to take someone other than a player who the staff feels is close to a sure thing.  

2 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

49 minutes ago, The Commish said:

I trust their judgment, I just haven't seen much of Taco to form an opinion.  I just feel like #8 is a little too high to take someone other than a player who the staff feels is close to a sure thing.  

I think he's going to be a solid contributor for some time, but he won't be immediate impact IMO.  I sorta expect immediate impact from #8 pick.

There was an article that talked about how Rivera approached the draft when they got Luke at #9.  They wanted him all along but didn't want their interest in him to be on the radar.  So Rivera gathered info on Luke (regarding character, off field stuff) in a round about way.  

"We didn't go out to see Luke because we didn't want that on the radar," Rivera said. "He's one of those guys. I was fortunate, as far as Luke was concerned, one of my teammates that played on the '85 Bears, Jim Morrissey, was my travel roommate for nine seasons. His son was Luke's travel roommate. So we're getting ready for the draft and I get this call from Jim and he says, 'Hey Ron, you gotta check this guy out -- he's Michael's roommate.' I knew who he was. So I said, 'Tell me about him.' So he starts describing this guy, who he is. I ask, 'Can I talk to Michael?' He gives me his son's number; I call his son. Then I talk to Jim's wife, Amy, and they told me this story, when their daughter went to go visit their son, they said, 'Make sure you introduce her to Luke.' When I heard that, I was like, OK, this kid has gotta be a good kid."

Any interest in Victor Cruz?  

DE Mario Williams?  Didn't he play at NC State?  

2 hours ago, Jayrok said:

Honestly, not really. I think the LTs on the market are the most interesting to me. Why waste money on Mario who hasn't been playing well the past two years in a deep DE draft? I even think there are a lot of slot type WRs that I'd look good. Unless they are bargain basement prices, I'd rather put FA money into one solid guy.

43 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Honestly, not really. I think the LTs on the market are the most interesting to me. Why waste money on Mario who hasn't been playing well the past two years in a deep DE draft? I even think there are a lot of slot type WRs that I'd look good. Unless they are bargain basement prices, I'd rather put FA money into one solid guy.

I'd rather put FA money into a couple of OTs.  I was just curious if anyone found Williams' release interesting enough for the Panthers to look into.  

3 hours ago, Jayrok said:

I'd rather put FA money into a couple of OTs.  I was just curious if anyone found Williams' release interesting enough for the Panthers to look into.  

If he were dirt cheap maybe

On 2/17/2017 at 10:53 AM, Jayrok said:

Cruz visited over the weekend

17 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Cruz visited over the weekend

meh on cruz

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, pantherclub said:

meh on cruz

Yeah doesn't excite me at all. If we want a receiver there are some very interesting draft prospects.

1 person likes this

No shock but it's slightly sad to see Tolbert get released.   

58 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

Yeah seemed like a great guy. Seems like strictly a money thing. If he wants to stay and is willing to take a pay cut I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Although the Bills are allegedly interested.

Signed Mario Addison. 22 million, 3 years. Sure hope he has a bunch more sacks in him.

Signed Mario Addison. 22 million, 3 years. Sure hope he has a bunch more sacks in him.

I think he's going to be the starter now. Lots comments during the season from Ron and DG that he's a more complete player than they thought. 22 sacks in 3 years with 1 start ain't bad at all. I think he'll get more snaps and has a good shot to be a double digit sack guy.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

I think he's going to be the starter now. Lots comments during the season from Ron and DG that he's a more complete player than they thought. 22 sacks in 3 years with 1 start ain't bad at all. I think he'll get more snaps and has a good shot to be a double digit sack guy.

I guess I'd like to see a little more every down before I get behind the complete tag. Especially when it comes to run stops. Plus being 30 is a bit worrisome. Although the fact that his snaps have been limited probably work in his favor on that front.

On 2/21/2017 at 5:20 PM, NCCommish said:
On 2/21/2017 at 4:18 PM, FUBAR said:

Yeah seemed like a great guy. Seems like strictly a money thing. If he wants to stay and is willing to take a pay cut I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen. Although the Bills are allegedly interested.

Right.  Just not worth that money and I think that backfield sorely needs some young/speedy talent.

Wes Horton signed a 2 year deal. Haven't seen specifics on money yet.

14 hours ago, NCCommish said:

I guess I'd like to see a little more every down before I get behind the complete tag. Especially when it comes to run stops. Plus being 30 is a bit worrisome. Although the fact that his snaps have been limited probably work in his favor on that front.

Just look at his snap counts last year. He was in the 30% range until after the bye when he got up to the 50s/60s. Only two games after the bye below that, the one in which he got hurt (38%) and then the first game back after missing two games (49%). His STs snaps went from the 15-25% to  0/1% at the end of the year.

ETA: Yes, I am trying to infer that he was one of the reasons that the D turned things around after the bye. Not the only thing, but a big part.

Also, he isn't 30. He turns 30 right after Labor Day, which I think is week 1. He'll be 30 in season, but he's still got 6+ months before he hits 30. The contract is basically a 2 year deal, 3 if he's playing like he did the last 3 years, especially 2016 when he turned into an every down DE, he's well worth the money. He has as many sacks in the last 3 years as JPP has in the last 4 years at half the price and JPP is only a little more than 1 year younger. JPP turns 29 around week 16/17 this year.

Edited by stbugs

Wes Horton signed a 2 year deal. Haven't seen specifics on money yet.

He signed for the vet min last year, likely the same with very little guaranteed, if at all. He's the 3rd DE right now behind Addison and Ealy and depending on who else is signed/drafted he may or may not make the final 53.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

He signed for the vet min last year, likely the same with very little guaranteed, if at all. He's the 3rd DE right now behind Addison and Ealy and depending on who else is signed/drafted he may or may not make the final 53.

Actually I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the final cut. He was also part of the late season resurgence and he added a couple sacks to his rep as a run stopper.

So the tag was applied to Short. No surprise there. 13 million or so unless they work out a long term deal. I doubt you'll see Gettleman take this one back.

46 minutes ago, NCCommish said:

So the tag was applied to Short. No surprise there. 13 million or so unless they work out a long term deal. I doubt you'll see Gettleman take this one back.

Definitely not. 2017 is an odd year, expecting another good season with a push for the SB. I think 2016 left a real bitter taste in the entire team's mouth, so I am hoping they decide to be better. I'm just looking forward to the draft. If we pull a pro-bowl type player at 8 and a good starter at 40, that could really turn this team around. Throw in some FA moves to solidify the left tackle spot and maybe SS and we should be in real good shape.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Definitely not. 2017 is an odd year, expecting another good season with a push for the SB. I think 2016 left a real bitter taste in the entire team's mouth, so I am hoping they decide to be better. I'm just looking forward to the draft. If we pull a pro-bowl type player at 8 and a good starter at 40, that could really turn this team around. Throw in some FA moves to solidify the left tackle spot and maybe SS and we should be in real good shape.

Well Short will wait to sign since they didn't use the exclusive tag. Let's him play the market a little. Of course there are those two first round picks as compensation.

5 minutes ago, NCCommish said:

Well Short will wait to sign since they didn't use the exclusive tag. Let's him play the market a little. Of course there are those two first round picks as compensation.

I love Short, but someone wants to give us 2 firsts, I am all over that.

11 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I love Short, but someone wants to give us 2 firsts, I am all over that.

Yeah that would relieve the sting a bit.

Edited by NCCommish

So Ashlon on the market. Not particularly interested personally.

In recent news Cotch is back. As assistant wide receivers coach. That seems like it could be a good hire.

Matt Kalil's hip is 100% reportedly. Been working out with his bro in California as they both recover from surgeries. Panthers said to be interested. My guess is not at 11 million a season though so he may have to take a pay cut to be here. And the free agent tackle class is pretty deep hopefully further deflating price a bit for a tackle coming off hip surgery.

That's a heck of a show Obi Melfaw, screw it Obi works, is putting on today. He's huge, he's fast and he's athletic. Certainly piques my interest.

Rumors say Short is going to sign his tender in the next couple of days.

Resigned Colin Jones to a 2 year 2.4 million contract. Mostly due to his St work.

Resigned Bersin mostly due to those compromising pictures he has of someone.

Put a second round tender on Norwell mostly becausr he's a very good young guard.

Philly was "allowed" to test the market.

Fozzy got a two year contract. 2.5 million. These are all pretty small contracts so far.

Johnson got a two year extension?  Not exactly sure what's going :oldunsure: 

47 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Johnson got a two year extension?  Not exactly sure what's going :oldunsure: 

I think this is a depth signing. I am betting it was a pretty cheap deal and I would be shocked if someone, really more than one, wasn't brought in to compete for snaps,