What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (1 Viewer)

I for one am against this corporate wellfare. Read yesterday that Charlotte is the 18th largest US city and 5th largest metro area. I jerry wants to give up that market then adois. We should not be paying for his stadium especially when he's reaping in huge profits and the value of the team keeps increasing. I for one will be boycotting any Charlotte bars/food.
I agree. This partcularly irks me because I spend a pretty large portion of my income on bars and food while not even liking the Panthers. At least it is a better use of 100mm than the ####### streetcar, but I'm sure Fox will find the money for that sitting in my pocket too. :thumbdown:
Its a 1% change dude.
I don't like any of my taxes going to corporate welfare, especially not when it is this explicit. Why don't you care about your taxes going up?
If its only 1% and guarantees that Panthers will be in Charlotte forever then I wouldnt care plus the renovations should be pretty sweet.

I for one am against this corporate wellfare. Read yesterday that Charlotte is the 18th largest US city and 5th largest metro area. I jerry wants to give up that market then adois. We should not be paying for his stadium especially when he's reaping in huge profits and the value of the team keeps increasing. I for one will be boycotting any Charlotte bars/food.
I agree. This partcularly irks me because I spend a pretty large portion of my income on bars and food while not even liking the Panthers. At least it is a better use of 100mm than the ####### streetcar, but I'm sure Fox will find the money for that sitting in my pocket too. :thumbdown:
Its a 1% change dude.
I don't like any of my taxes going to corporate welfare, especially not when it is this explicit. Why don't you care about your taxes going up?
If its only 1% and guarantees that Panthers will be in Charlotte forever then I wouldnt care plus the renovations should be pretty sweet.
Do you even live in Charlotte?I don't really see what needs to be renovated at BofA Stadium either, it is a pretty nice stadium that isn't very old. Worst thing about it are how steep of an angle the upper deck is at, but that isn't being changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'BassNBrew said:
Its a 1% change dude.
Do you even live in Charlotte?I don't really see what needs to be renovated at BofA Stadium either, it is a pretty nice stadium that isn't very old. Worst thing about it are how steep of an angle the upper deck is at, but that isn't being changed.
Have you been to any new or recently upgraded NFL stadiums recently? BOA is clearly behind the times in a number of areas. Some things as small as better food options, to things as large as stadium wide escalators and much needed jumbotron upgrade. Personally, in terms of tax increases, this is one of the least intrusive ones that I've seen. A 1% restaurant sales tax will be largely unnoticed by a vast majority of the people who go out.Are you really going to notice a 50 cent increase on a $50 dinner? Or a 7 cent increase on a $7 fast food pickup?Charlotte got a really good deal when the Panthers came to town, funded almost entirely through PSL's. Most areas don't have that luxury. If it was an overall sales tax increase, I could see the anger...but I just don't see it being that big of a deal since it's just a restaurant tax hike.

'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'BassNBrew said:
Its a 1% change dude.
Have you been to any new or recently upgraded NFL stadiums recently? BOA is clearly behind the times in a number of areas. Some things as small as better food options, to things as large as stadium wide escalators and much needed jumbotron upgrade. Personally, in terms of tax increases, this is one of the least intrusive ones that I've seen. A 1% restaurant sales tax will be largely unnoticed by a vast majority of the people who go out.Are you really going to notice a 50 cent increase on a $50 dinner? Or a 7 cent increase on a $7 fast food pickup?Charlotte got a really good deal when the Panthers came to town, funded almost entirely through PSL's. Most areas don't have that luxury. If it was an overall sales tax increase, I could see the anger...but I just don't see it being that big of a deal since it's just a restaurant tax hike.
Jerry sure needs the money more than the kids...http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/athletics/Athletic%20Participation%20Fee/Athletic%20Participation%20Fee_Fact%20Sheet_2012-13.pdf

'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'BassNBrew said:
Its a 1% change dude.
I think the only NFL stadiums I have been in are Bank of America, The Georgia Dome, and Fedex. I didn't really notice a big difference honestly. All are much nicer than any college football stadium I have been in. Does it cost money to have better food options? Wouldn't they just take the place of exisisting ones with higher prices? Are the Panthers somehow losing money on the 10 dollar boxes of Bojangel's chicken tenders?My alma matter just put in a large new jumbotron for just 6.5 million dollars, so are they spending the other 120 million on adding escalators? I don't see why I should pay more everytime I go out if this is all about people being too lazy to walk up the damn ramps. Certainly not when there are valuable things like infrastructure and education starved for funding since the City of Charlotte gives out money for every sports related boondoggle that comes along, as BnB has noted. It doesn't matter how noticable a tax is, just that it is there.Why shouldn't Jerry Richardson pay for the superfluous upgrades to the stadium he has made hundreds of millions using and continue to benefit from? Why should I subsidize his profits?

I don't see why I should pay more everytime I go out if this is all about people being too lazy to walk up the damn ramps. Certainly not when there are valuable things like infrastructure and education starved for funding since the City of Charlotte gives out money for every sports related boondoggle that comes along, as BnB has noted.
Dang :goodposting: 1% of the hotel tax for NASCAR HOF1% sales tax for a choo-choo trainSerious question...why doesn't Jerry just write the check? He'll be getting the add'l revenues.

I don't see the big deal either.

'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'BassNBrew said:
Its a 1% change dude.
Jerry sure needs the money more than the kids...http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartments/athletics/Athletic%20Participation%20Fee/Athletic%20Participation%20Fee_Fact%20Sheet_2012-13.pdf
Funds allocations aren't that simple. Just because one thing got funds doesn't mean that it would affect anything else. Most likely, if this tax wasn't put into place, there wouldn't have been a tax at all...and nothing would have benefited.Not to mention, a 1% tax increase is a small price to pay for the added revenue that the stadium brings to the Charlotte area.

'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'BassNBrew said:
Its a 1% change dude.
I think the only NFL stadiums I have been in are Bank of America, The Georgia Dome, and Fedex. I didn't really notice a big difference honestly. All are much nicer than any college football stadium I have been in. Does it cost money to have better food options? Wouldn't they just take the place of exisisting ones with higher prices? Are the Panthers somehow losing money on the 10 dollar boxes of Bojangel's chicken tenders?My alma matter just put in a large new jumbotron for just 6.5 million dollars, so are they spending the other 120 million on adding escalators? I don't see why I should pay more everytime I go out if this is all about people being too lazy to walk up the damn ramps. Certainly not when there are valuable things like infrastructure and education starved for funding since the City of Charlotte gives out money for every sports related boondoggle that comes along, as BnB has noted. It doesn't matter how noticable a tax is, just that it is there.Why shouldn't Jerry Richardson pay for the superfluous upgrades to the stadium he has made hundreds of millions using and continue to benefit from? Why should I subsidize his profits?
The Georgia Dome is in a similar situation as BOA, probably worse. It's outdated and needs upgrades. I haven't been to JFK, so I can't speak to that one directly. When you don't have tradition (Lambeau, for instance), you have to compete by keeping up. Making upgrades after 20 years is reasonable. You're right, the team is making money off of Bojangles, etc. but with better options (that would need different equipment, etc.), more people would purchase food. Personally, I've been to the stadium probably 100 times, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten food there. I'm sure I'm not alone. I was just naming a couple of things off the top of my head that could be upgraded. I'm sure there are a number of other things that the money will be used for.You make a good point about there being other things that the money can go to, but as I stated before, I doubt the money would exist if it wasn't being put to this use. The simple fact is that without upgrades, the team has a much higher probability of leaving the city. If they leave the city, the revenue loss to the downtown area, including restaurants, would be quite large. Sure, it's a possibility they could hang around without the upgrades...but the city probably didn't want to risk that. Especially now that there is news that Richardson has a two year plan in place to sell the team after he passes (which is, let's be honest, probably not that far away).I don't like additional taxes anymore than anyone else, but this is one of the more reasonable ones I've seen recently. It affects an area where people are likely to pay the tax without even noticing it exists.

To move on to another subject, it's sounding like Toub isn't likely to come in as the Special Teams coach (rumors are that he's heading to Kansas City). Bobby April has interviewed however, and is a fine second option. If we can get either of these guys, the impact on special teams should be great.At offensive coordinator, Hue Jackson is still my favorite current option, but it's looking like Ken Whisenhunt may be in play since it's looking unlikely that he'll get a head coaching job. Either guy would be a great addition, bringing head coaching experience with them, which is desperately needed. Shurmur also has head coaching experience, but I'm really hoping we don't go in that direction. Hopefully Shula is just going to get a cursory look, and isn't a serious contender. While he may be a good coordinator if given the chance, I think we need previous head coaching experience on the roster.

Funds allocations aren't that simple. Just because one thing got funds doesn't mean that it would affect anything else. Most likely, if this tax wasn't put into place, there wouldn't have been a tax at all...and nothing would have benefited.Not to mention, a 1% tax increase is a small price to pay for the added revenue that the stadium brings to the Charlotte area.
If the team is bringing all this money to the city, then allocate those taxes collected already to pay for this.

The simple fact is that without upgrades, the team has a much higher probability of leaving the city. If they leave the city, the revenue loss to the downtown area, including restaurants, would be quite large. Sure, it's a possibility they could hang around without the upgrades...but the city probably didn't want to risk that. Especially now that there is news that Richardson has a two year plan in place to sell the team after he passes (which is, let's be honest, probably not that far away).I don't like additional taxes anymore than anyone else, but this is one of the more reasonable ones I've seen recently. It affects an area where people are likely to pay the tax without even noticing it exists.
The NFL won't leave this market. Just read yesterday Charlotte is the 18th largest city and has the 5th largest metro area. Enough is enough. The city keeps falling for these boondoggles and increasing taxes to pay for them while cutting out high schools sports and education funds.

The simple fact is that without upgrades, the team has a much higher probability of leaving the city. If they leave the city, the revenue loss to the downtown area, including restaurants, would be quite large. Sure, it's a possibility they could hang around without the upgrades...but the city probably didn't want to risk that. Especially now that there is news that Richardson has a two year plan in place to sell the team after he passes (which is, let's be honest, probably not that far away).I don't like additional taxes anymore than anyone else, but this is one of the more reasonable ones I've seen recently. It affects an area where people are likely to pay the tax without even noticing it exists.
The NFL won't leave this market. Just read yesterday Charlotte is the 18th largest city and has the 5th largest metro area. Enough is enough. The city keeps falling for these boondoggles and increasing taxes to pay for them while cutting out high schools sports and education funds.
If we've learned anything with the lottery debacle, funds that are allocated to go to schools are being filtered to other areas. Again, you can oppose the tax if you want, but the fact that they got the money has no bearing on high school sports and education funds.

If we've learned anything with the lottery debacle, funds that are allocated to go to schools are being filtered to other areas. Again, you can oppose the tax if you want, but the fact that they got the money has no bearing on high school sports and education funds.
I'm shocked that the city isn't going to ask the new governor and former mayor for the state to kick in a portion of these monies.

Its one percent dude. Settle down

To move on to another subject, it's sounding like Toub isn't likely to come in as the Special Teams coach (rumors are that he's heading to Kansas City). Bobby April has interviewed however, and is a fine second option. If we can get either of these guys, the impact on special teams should be great.At offensive coordinator, Hue Jackson is still my favorite current option, but it's looking like Ken Whisenhunt may be in play since it's looking unlikely that he'll get a head coaching job. Either guy would be a great addition, bringing head coaching experience with them, which is desperately needed. Shurmur also has head coaching experience, but I'm really hoping we don't go in that direction. Hopefully Shula is just going to get a cursory look, and isn't a serious contender. While he may be a good coordinator if given the chance, I think we need previous head coaching experience on the roster.
Yeah, Toub signed with KC. April would be a nice hire. I too favor Hue Jackson thus far in the search for an OC.

Whisenhunt didn't go to Denver, so you have to think that the Panthers may bring him in for an interview.As of now, Joe Person is reporting that we've only interviewed Hue Jackson and Pat Shurmur, along with Shula. Then again, it's Person, so it's completely possible there was an interview or two that he knows nothing about.

'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
'Slapdash said:
'pantherclub said:
Its a 1% change dude.
The Georgia Dome is in a similar situation as BOA, probably worse. It's outdated and needs upgrades. I haven't been to JFK, so I can't speak to that one directly. When you don't have tradition (Lambeau, for instance), you have to compete by keeping up. Making upgrades after 20 years is reasonable. You're right, the team is making money off of Bojangles, etc. but with better options (that would need different equipment, etc.), more people would purchase food. Personally, I've been to the stadium probably 100 times, and I can count on one hand the number of times I've eaten food there. I'm sure I'm not alone. I was just naming a couple of things off the top of my head that could be upgraded. I'm sure there are a number of other things that the money will be used for.You make a good point about there being other things that the money can go to, but as I stated before, I doubt the money would exist if it wasn't being put to this use. The simple fact is that without upgrades, the team has a much higher probability of leaving the city. If they leave the city, the revenue loss to the downtown area, including restaurants, would be quite large. Sure, it's a possibility they could hang around without the upgrades...but the city probably didn't want to risk that. Especially now that there is news that Richardson has a two year plan in place to sell the team after he passes (which is, let's be honest, probably not that far away).I don't like additional taxes anymore than anyone else, but this is one of the more reasonable ones I've seen recently. It affects an area where people are likely to pay the tax without even noticing it exists.
Fair enough, I won't dwell on this any longer. I only go to Panthers games when a team I like is in town or tickets are really cheap. Better food and quality beers would make it a lot more enjoyable. You're right that the city has gotten off pretty well with regards to money towards the Panthers, particularly compared to other cities. It is just irksome that they have doled out so much money for sports and entertainment in the past decade, despite how nice it is.

Whisenhunt didn't go to Denver, so you have to think that the Panthers may bring him in for an interview.As of now, Joe Person is reporting that we've only interviewed Hue Jackson and Pat Shurmur, along with Shula. Then again, it's Person, so it's completely possible there was an interview or two that he knows nothing about.
And with only the Cardinals job still open, that leaves Whizz looking for a gig. I'd have to imagine Carolina makes that phone call, considering JR's affinity for all things Steelers. My personal preference, at this point, would be:1) Hue Jackson2) Whisenhunt3) Shurmer4) ShulaI think there's a gap between 2 and 3, and a significant gap between 3 and 4.Hue Jackson is the best fit, IMO, but Whisenhunt would also be an excellent hire, considering his last OC post was with a similarly built team in Pittsburgh. Either would be great fits, and would help the team. I'd be more concerned about Shurmer's WCO background, but at the end of the day he seems like an OC that takes advantage of the talent on his team. Biggest change would be in the learning curve of the verbiage differences between the Coryell and West Coast systems.

Yep - hadn't seen that when I posted. So this makes Hue Jackson the glaring winner among the three for me.Get it done, Gettleman.

Hue Jackson just seems like such an obvious choice, I have to think there is something else they are considering. When you compare Jackson with Shurmur (from a west coast offense scheme) and Shula (with a terrible history as OC), it just seems like a simple choice.

Shula promoted to OCRodgers promoted to ST CoordinatorI am heartbroken with both of these decisions. Instead of hiring a desperately needed OC with some head coaching experience, they promoted a guy who was horrendous during his last stint as OC, over a decade ago. Instead of hiring a special teams coach like Bobby April, who has proven his abilities, we promote a guy who was part of our terrible special teams staff.I guess the advantage is that we'll get a fresh staff next year when Ron Rivera is fired.

anthers Offense - TM - PanthersPanthers promoted QBs coach Mike Shula to offensive coordinator.
He certainly doesn't seem like an attractive pick, but he will add continuity for Cam and the offense. He didn't have success as an OC over a decade ago, but I would think he has gained more experience and new knowledge over the years, and he knows and understands Cam's strengths and weaknesses very well. He could turn out to be a good choice, and if not he probably didn't cost an arm and a leg in his promotion. Jim Skipper is interviewing for his old job back, and I hope he gets it.

Shula promoted to OCRodgers promoted to ST CoordinatorI am heartbroken with both of these decisions. Instead of hiring a desperately needed OC with some head coaching experience, they promoted a guy who was horrendous during his last stint as OC, over a decade ago. Instead of hiring a special teams coach like Bobby April, who has proven his abilities, we promote a guy who was part of our terrible special teams staff.I guess the advantage is that we'll get a fresh staff next year when Ron Rivera is fired.
I suspect their were not too many candidates interested in this potential trainwreck unless they were getting a huge contract.

I suspect their were not too many candidates interested in this potential trainwreck unless they were getting a huge contract.
It doesn't matter, there were good candidates that interviewed and I'm positive would have taken the job if it was offered. Jackson was a great option for the team, and even if they didn't like them, there is no shortage of up and coming positional coaches that would jump at the chance to be an OC for a team with Cam Newton and Steve Smith, among others. Even if it's only for a year, the opportunity is there to prove their worth.
anthers Offense - TM - PanthersPanthers promoted QBs coach Mike Shula to offensive coordinator.
He certainly doesn't seem like an attractive pick, but he will add continuity for Cam and the offense. He didn't have success as an OC over a decade ago, but I would think he has gained more experience and new knowledge over the years, and he knows and understands Cam's strengths and weaknesses very well. He could turn out to be a good choice, and if not he probably didn't cost an arm and a leg in his promotion. Jim Skipper is interviewing for his old job back, and I hope he gets it.
I don't buy all of the "continuity" talk. SHula has never run the Coryell offense that Chudzinski employed, and while he does have familiarity with the system that was run last year, there really wasn't even any continuity over the 16 games last season. The offense was changed dramatically over the last month and a half of the year, after Chud and Rivera finally got their heads out of their asses.Hue Jackson offered just as much continuity because he runs the Coryell offensive style and would be able to be come in and continue with the direction the offense was heading. Plus, someone made a good point in a tweet to Darin Gantt that went like this..."Cam Newton learned three new systems in three straight years. National championship, national championship, Rookie of the year. Continuity is overrated."As for the Special Teams position, continuity is a moot point. There is so much turnover in that area because of the players that make up the squad (bottom of the roster, rookies, etc.) that a new coordinator could easily come in and change things without much issue.Make no mistake about it...this move was about Ron Rivera protecting himself. Hue Jackson has had the "interim coach" title before, and bringing in someone with experience as a head coach makes it that much easier for a GM/owner to pull the plug in-season when the opportunity arises. If Ron Rivera sincerely was trying to make just the best moves to improve the team, Shula and Rodgers wouldn't have gotten the promotions. This is all about self preservation under a guise of "continuity".I would say that a year from now we'll have a new coach and maybe we can finally have some hope for the organization, but frankly, unless Gettleman stands up to Jerry Richardson and demands some major changes, we'll just see more of the same with some new faces.There is a chance that Shula will surprise me, but I have yet to hear anyone who has been a fan of a team he's coached (college and NFL) that has positive things to say about him. His track record is horrendous. Rodgers did help the special teams improve when he took over midseason, but I just don't see how you pass up a guy like Bobby April, who is one of the best in the NFL.

'simey said:
'jonboltz said:
I agree

'BassNBrew said:
'solorca said:
I think the Panthers have more potential to be good than a trainwreck. They got their #### together in the second half of the season, and were a team others didn't want to play. If they carry that over this coming season, they could be very good.

'solorca said:
Plus, someone made a good point in a tweet to Darin Gantt that went like this..."Cam Newton learned three new systems in three straight years. National championship, national championship, Rookie of the year. Continuity is overrated."
I don't think that is a good point.In regard to your posting on ST, I too would have liked to have seen Bobby April hired as ST coach.

'solorca said:
Plus, someone made a good point in a tweet to Darin Gantt that went like this..."Cam Newton learned three new systems in three straight years. National championship, national championship, Rookie of the year. Continuity is overrated."
I don't think that is a good point.
Why not? It proves that Cam Newton has handled changing systems with success in the past. This entire signing is based on the "continuity" aspect that Shula brings, which in my opinion is complete and utter bull####. As I mentioned above, Hue Jackson has actually run the Coryell system that Chudzinski ran. Shula however, has never run that system. The only continuity that Shula brings is the fact that he was already on the team and the players know who he is. In terms of the system itself, Jackson has more experience running it. I have no idea why people seem to think that Shula will just stick with the same offensive gameplan we currently run, when he has no background running it.I'd love for Shula to come in and keep the offense going at the same level they were at the end of this past season, but I am not expecting it. I think Jackson would have had a much better chance of sustaining the late season progress. If they bring back Jim Skipper, it would go a long way...at least for the running backs.The one thing that I will give Shula is the fact that he is comfortable with Cam, and I'll hope that, regardless of the system he employs, he'll be able to use that to his advantage to build the best possible system around him.

Missed this earlier, but Jim Skipper was hired back as the RB coach (according to tweets from Stewart and Deangelo).First positive thing I've heard today. THIS was a great hire.

With the Shula hire, is it safe to officially assume the GM here in Carolina is simply a puppet to Richardson, that the Herney firing was a mere distraction and that things aren't really going to change much going forward? Or should I wait until after the draft? I really liked the Gettleman hire IF he was going to be allowed to do his job, but I'm hard pressed to believe Gettleman thinks Shula is the best option available for OC.I'm quickly becoming disenfranchised with this organization. I love the team, but it's getting harder and harder to support them because of the management.

With the Shula hire, is it safe to officially assume the GM here in Carolina is simply a puppet to Richardson, that the Herney firing was a mere distraction and that things aren't really going to change much going forward? Or should I wait until after the draft? I really liked the Gettleman hire IF he was going to be allowed to do his job, but I'm hard pressed to believe Gettleman thinks Shula is the best option available for OC.I'm quickly becoming disenfranchised with this organization. I love the team, but it's getting harder and harder to support them because of the management.
I would think that Gettleman would want his own coach and that coach would want his own OC. Gettleman doesn't want to hire his own OC only to either have to fire him next year or limit his coaching options by telling the candidates next year they are stuck with the OC. This selection makes it extremely easier to completely clean house next year if necessary.Furthermore, if I'm a big name candidate I don't take this job without a huge salary and several guaranteed years. It would be stupid for the organization to invest that amount of money in someoen they will more likely than not fire next year.Unfortunately you'll just have to be patient for a year and hope for the best in the meantime.

I would think that Gettleman would want his own coach and that coach would want his own OC. Gettleman doesn't want to hire his own OC only to either have to fire him next year or limit his coaching options by telling the candidates next year they are stuck with the OC. This selection makes it extremely easier to completely clean house next year if necessary.Furthermore, if I'm a big name candidate I don't take this job without a huge salary and several guaranteed years. It would be stupid for the organization to invest that amount of money in someoen they will more likely than not fire next year.Unfortunately you'll just have to be patient for a year and hope for the best in the meantime.
I hadn't thought about it this way. I guess that makes sense...assuming that this IS Rivera's last year. I just don't know what to think of this staff and ownership and I am downright fearful of Shula given his history. It certainly doesn't point to optimism.

I agree with the sentiments of Gettleman essentially giving Rivera the rope to hang himself with the OC hire. If Rivera was more concerned with self preservation than hiring the best man for the job, then shame on him. That should be evident over time, and if Shula is truly out of his element, it'll cost Rivera his job as no one else on the staff could replace Shula as play caller in-season.I personally think that Gettleman didn't want to force his guy into this situation. While I believe Hue Jackson would have been the best hire, I think the final decision came down to Rivera. Gettleman likely sees this as a multi-year fix, which is frustrating as fans of the team, but I'm fine with it if it actually gets the roster back on-track. I don't believe the hype that the team is a coach away or a player or two away from greatness... there are simply too many holes and too much salary cap hell to overcome in a single offseason.I have a feeling Gettleman fixes the cap this offseason, regardless of what it does to the roster, and drafts the BPA for the future, regardless of current team needs. I'd watch for an Eric Fisher first round pick (if he doesn't continue to explode his draft stock into the top 10) as the team sets plans in place for life after Gross -- and the OT position is very thin in this draft. I'd expect a big focus on the lines with potentially a S or WR thrown in late, but I don't personally expect that splash this year. If the team can rebuild the lines and reset the cap situation this offseason, they position themselves to make a big move for Sammy Watkins or Marquis Lee next offseason - two guys that are much better prospects than this current group.If the roster reshaping results in another poor season, Gettleman has Rivera in place to take the fall. Then he can rebuild the coaching staff as he sees fit. Personally, I'm hoping this is the route things go as I was never a huge fan of RR in the first place, and didn't like the hire. If I look in my non-existent crystal ball for the future, I see Mike Zimmer, Panthers HC 2014. Zimmer's only knock has been that he's very matter-of-fact, tells-it-like-it-is in interviews, which doesn't go over well with everyone. But from what (admittedly little) we've seen from Gettleman, I'd guess that approach would mesh very well with his personality, and Zimmer is one helluva coach.Just my :2cents:

Jim Skipper, former RBs coach under Fox, who was beloved by Stew and DW, was recently let go by the Titans, which makes me wonder if Carolina will try to bring him back.
Glad to see they got Skip back... the RBs loved him, and still do. Hopefully Skipper helps revive the run game, and Shula doesn't get too cute. The offense could be pretty stout if they draft an OT and an OG in the early rounds, lean on the running game, and utilize play-action for downfield strikes to Smiff, LaFell, and Olsen.From what I've read, the knock on Shula last time was that he was too conservative in Tampa during his OC tenure. I hope he doesn't overcorrect to being too risky. Conservative will work well with the personnel here, especially if they managed to land Fischer at OT in the first, and a strong OG in the 2nd. A line left-right of Fischer, Silatolu, Khalil, 2nd Round OG, Gross would be pretty nasty with the RBs and Cam leading the offense.Yes the defense would need some help as well, but that o-line would be set for years, with only Gross needing replacement in the near-term.

I agree with the sentiments of Gettleman essentially giving Rivera the rope to hang himself with the OC hire. If Rivera was more concerned with self preservation than hiring the best man for the job, then shame on him. That should be evident over time, and if Shula is truly out of his element, it'll cost Rivera his job as no one else on the staff could replace Shula as play caller in-season.I personally think that Gettleman didn't want to force his guy into this situation. While I believe Hue Jackson would have been the best hire, I think the final decision came down to Rivera. Gettleman likely sees this as a multi-year fix, which is frustrating as fans of the team, but I'm fine with it if it actually gets the roster back on-track. I don't believe the hype that the team is a coach away or a player or two away from greatness... there are simply too many holes and too much salary cap hell to overcome in a single offseason.I have a feeling Gettleman fixes the cap this offseason, regardless of what it does to the roster, and drafts the BPA for the future, regardless of current team needs. I'd watch for an Eric Fisher first round pick (if he doesn't continue to explode his draft stock into the top 10) as the team sets plans in place for life after Gross -- and the OT position is very thin in this draft. I'd expect a big focus on the lines with potentially a S or WR thrown in late, but I don't personally expect that splash this year. If the team can rebuild the lines and reset the cap situation this offseason, they position themselves to make a big move for Sammy Watkins or Marquis Lee next offseason - two guys that are much better prospects than this current group.If the roster reshaping results in another poor season, Gettleman has Rivera in place to take the fall. Then he can rebuild the coaching staff as he sees fit. Personally, I'm hoping this is the route things go as I was never a huge fan of RR in the first place, and didn't like the hire. If I look in my non-existent crystal ball for the future, I see Mike Zimmer, Panthers HC 2014. Zimmer's only knock has been that he's very matter-of-fact, tells-it-like-it-is in interviews, which doesn't go over well with everyone. But from what (admittedly little) we've seen from Gettleman, I'd guess that approach would mesh very well with his personality, and Zimmer is one helluva coach.Just my :2cents:
I hope you guys are right. I can't get the idea out of my mind that Richardson is behind keeping Rivera around and he's behind promoting Shula. I guess next year we'll find out. If they have another season like the last two, I'd expect them both to be gone if Gettleman is truly calling the shots.

Its one percent dude. Settle down
The interesting thing is that the 1% is really double of what's needed to pay the loan off over 20 years, so what is the other .5% going towards? If I can find the article again, I'll link to it, but basically, the article said that the interest on the loan over 20 years would be roughly $8m for the $120 or $125M loan, can't remember exactly. The 1% tax increase was expected to bring in approximately $16M a year, so feasibly, the loan would could be paid off over 9 years instead of 20. These are rough numbers going off of what I can remember from the article, but it does bring up the interesting point of what does the city council have in mind for the extra revenue. The author thought that maybe it would be to have more hotels added downtown in an effort to bring the Superbowl to Charlotte (apparently there isn't enough hotel/motel rooms by NFL standards to have it here).

With the Shula hire, is it safe to officially assume the GM here in Carolina is simply a puppet to Richardson, that the Herney firing was a mere distraction and that things aren't really going to change much going forward? Or should I wait until after the draft? I really liked the Gettleman hire IF he was going to be allowed to do his job, but I'm hard pressed to believe Gettleman thinks Shula is the best option available for OC.

I'm quickly becoming disenfranchised with this organization. I love the team, but it's getting harder and harder to support them because of the management.
Another example of my issues with the organization's ownership. Dope

With the Shula hire, is it safe to officially assume the GM here in Carolina is simply a puppet to Richardson, that the Herney firing was a mere distraction and that things aren't really going to change much going forward? Or should I wait until after the draft? I really liked the Gettleman hire IF he was going to be allowed to do his job, but I'm hard pressed to believe Gettleman thinks Shula is the best option available for OC.

I'm quickly becoming disenfranchised with this organization. I love the team, but it's getting harder and harder to support them because of the management.
Did you think he was losing money?What exactly is your issue with that?

I have a problem with Richardson and his lying. That should be clear.

I must have missed the lying part.

'pantherclub said:
'The Commish said:

I must have missed the lying part.
It happens when you don't read the information posted...no worries.

Users who are viewing this thread