What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (3 Viewers)

I for one am against this corporate wellfare. Read yesterday that Charlotte is the 18th largest US city and 5th largest metro area. I jerry wants to give up that market then adois. We should not be paying for his stadium especially when he's reaping in huge profits and the value of the team keeps increasing. I for one will be boycotting any Charlotte bars/food.
I agree. This partcularly irks me because I spend a pretty large portion of my income on bars and food while not even liking the Panthers.At least it is a better use of 100mm than the ####### streetcar, but I'm sure Fox will find the money for that sitting in my pocket too. :thumbdown:
Its a 1% change dude.
I don't like any of my taxes going to corporate welfare, especially not when it is this explicit. Why don't you care about your taxes going up?
If its only 1% and guarantees that Panthers will be in Charlotte forever then I wouldnt care plus the renovations should be pretty sweet.
Do you even live in Charlotte?I don't really see what needs to be renovated at BofA Stadium either, it is a pretty nice stadium that isn't very old. Worst thing about it are how steep of an angle the upper deck is at, but that isn't being changed.
Have you been to any new or recently upgraded NFL stadiums recently? BOA is clearly behind the times in a number of areas. Some things as small as better food options, to things as large as stadium wide escalators and much needed jumbotron upgrade.Personally, in terms of tax increases, this is one of the least intrusive ones that I've seen. A 1% restaurant sales tax will be largely unnoticed by a vast majority of the people who go out.Are you really going to notice a 50 cent increase on a $50 dinner? Or a 7 cent increase on a $7 fast food pickup?Charlotte got a really good deal when the Panthers came to town, funded almost entirely through PSL's. Most areas don't have that luxury. If it was an overall sales tax increase, I could see the anger...but I just don't see it being that big of a deal since it's just a restaurant tax hike.
The term "much needed jumbotron upgrade" puts this whole issue into context.

I could care less about an additional tax on restaurants to support a sports team if it brings more money to the city, but a newer jumbortron is not a "need".

Hoping we have a chance to get the WR Allen or maybe CB/S Amerson.

Still lots of talent on the board and I would imagine the run on QB's is about to start pushing even more talent into the 3rd round

Well....at least they didn't take a LB or RB....this is progress :thumbup:
I'm happy with the Star pick. Hopefully it works out, and the Panthers will now improve a lot against the run.
If Star is who we think he is the Panthers probably have the best front 7 in the NFC South and one of the best in the NFL. I Kind of hope we can follow up with Larry Warford. Be a plug in starter at RG that we desperately need. Still need a tackle but I would go Warford if available.

Oh and while I am late to the stadium discussion we should have never given them a dime. In fact Richardson pissed me off with his whole" I just paid off debt why should I incur more?". Because you own it and you already get enough tax breaks jerk. What about the guy who buys a factory and then pays it down should he get tax money so he doesn't have to incur any more debt when he wants to upgrade? I am totally against giving a billion dollar business in a multi-billion dollar industry any welfare when we can't keep teachers in the classroom for lack of money.

Oh and while I am late to the stadium discussion we should have never given them a dime. In fact Richardson pissed me off with his whole" I just paid off debt why should I incur more?". Because you own it and you already get enough tax breaks jerk. What about the guy who buys a factory and then pays it down should he get tax money so he doesn't have to incur any more debt when he wants to upgrade? I am totally against giving a billion dollar business in a multi-billion dollar industry any welfare when we can't keep teachers in the classroom for lack of money.
I'm already going out of my way to take my business to Iredell County whenever possible.

I'm happy with the Star pick. Hopefully it works out, and the Panthers will now improve a lot against the run.
If Star is who we think he is the Panthers probably have the best front 7 in the NFC South and one of the best in the NFL.
I think it's a really good pick. The Panthers achilles heel on D has been stopping the run, and Star should help a lot in that area. The cats defensive front is looking good.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Star is who we think he is the Panthers probably have the best front 7 in the NFC South and one of the best in the NFL. I Kind of hope we can follow up with Larry Warford. Be a plug in starter at RG that we desperately need. Still need a tackle but I would go Warford if available.
I find this pick interesting. Last nite someone was talking about how it would free up Luke to make tackles and Hardee/CJ to make get more sacks. I thought that was already happening. I'm kind of blah on the pick. I'm just not seeing stopping the run as a priortiy, especially when facing Ryan/Brees a 1/4 of the season. I recall reading that DTs are one of the highest bust postions in the first round. There really aren't a ton of household name difference makers at this postion in the league.

All that said, there wasn't anyone I really liked in that position in the draft. Wish we had traded with the Vikings for more picks.

I find this pick interesting. Last nite someone was talking about how it would free up Luke to make tackles and Hardee/CJ to make get more sacks. I thought that was already happening. I'm kind of blah on the pick. I'm just not seeing stopping the run as a priortiy, especially when facing Ryan/Brees a 1/4 of the season. I recall reading that DTs are one of the highest bust postions in the first round. There really aren't a ton of household name difference makers at this postion in the league.

All that said, there wasn't anyone I really liked in that position in the draft. Wish we had traded with the Vikings for more picks.
Well Star should be more than a run stopper. He should get pressure up the middle and he should demand double teams. He is going to give centers and guards fits hopefully. This should mean our LB's spend less time shedding and more time tackling. It should also mean the ends, especially Hardy, see far fewer double teams making them more effective.The only other guy I would have taken here was Trufant. We had to get an impact starter and I think they were the last two sure things left.

I'm already going out of my way to take my business to Iredell County whenever possible.
To me this is as bad as the uptown basketball stadium deal.

Stadium was worse. At least this time they didn't directly piss on us after we said no.

Meanwhile we sit in gridlock every day on the north side while Iredell County continues to open new exits, lay pavement, and drive the value of ugly land adjacent to 77. Really wish exit 23 to 30 cound sucede from this county and leave the rest of you with your scoreboards, cable box, choo choos, and other toys to play with.

Well Star should be more than a run stopper. He should get pressure up the middle and he should demand double teams. He is going to give centers and guards fits hopefully. This should mean our LB's spend less time shedding and more time tackling. It should also mean the ends, especially Hardy, see far fewer double teams making them more effective.The only other guy I would have taken here was Trufant. We had to get an impact starter and I think they were the last two sure things left.
:goodposting:

Stadium was worse. At least this time they didn't directly piss on us after we said no.

Meanwhile we sit in gridlock every day on the north side while Iredell County continues to open new exits, lay pavement, and drive the value of ugly land adjacent to 77. Really wish exit 23 to 30 cound sucede from this county and leave the rest of you with your scoreboards, cable box, choo choos, and other toys to play with.
Now you know that isn't just the county laying asphalt that's a state thing and Mecklenburg has always gotten the short end of that stick. I support the trains. I think the development along the South Blvd corridor speaks for itself. I am not a supporter of the trolley though. In fact if they wanted to throw money JR well it's the first thing I agree with our new governor on, use the trolley money. As for the cable box and scoreboards I am with you on that.

I didn't see the pick as a "stopping the run" kind of pick...I think in the bigger picture it's much more of a "collapse the pocket so the QBs can't step up pick.

Now...they need to follow up with either a CB or Safety IMO.

I didn't see the pick as a "stopping the run" kind of pick...I think in the bigger picture it's much more of a "collapse the pocket so the QBs can't step up pick.

Now...they need to follow up with either a CB or Safety IMO.
Yeah this is what Gettleman said. Keep QBs from stepping up and force them to the outside where hopefully one of our ends is waiting for them.

I LOVE the Star pick. He was my favorite player in the draft, and I honestly thought there was no chance we would get him. Even though a lot of people thought Floyd was the better pick, I think Star made a lot more sense than Floyd. Star struggles a bit on his pass rush, but we have been pretty good with getting pressure off of the ends, and Dwan is pretty solid as well. Star helps a ton in the run game.Our secondary is weak, but the front 7 should mask that pretty well. I am loving the look of our defense now.

In the interest of full disclosure, I have watched exactly ZERO seconds on this kid. There were rumblings that he took plays off and wasn't on all the time. Perhaps I'm gun shy given the last guy they had with this label, but is it close to the same situation as with Peppers??

In the interest of full disclosure, I have watched exactly ZERO seconds on this kid. There were rumblings that he took plays off and wasn't on all the time. Perhaps I'm gun shy given the last guy they had with this label, but is it close to the same situation as with Peppers??
Peppers took entire seasons off.

I have just seen the highlights of this kid like you but everyone seems to think he is a slam dunk and would have gone higher if not for his heart issue.

Heres to hoping the Panthers can move up into the 3rd and pick up a lineman or safety.

3 rounds in and 2 DTs. Cornerback/ Safety anyone? I know a strong D-line can hide some deficiencies in the defensive backfield but I gotta think CB/S. As The Commish mentioned earlier I thought that would come in round 2. I also have to assume they couldn't find a partner to trade down with to get back into the third round.

Has anyone actually seen both Hurney and Gettleman together at the same time?
Seriously, this is becoming a carbon copy of a Hurney draft. Suspect we'll get a back TE, an inferior corner, and WR that will have a 5-10 career NFL snaps from here on out. It was nice knowing you Rivera, your new boss isn't doing you any favors.

Has anyone actually seen both Hurney and Gettleman together at the same time?
Seriously, this is becoming a carbon copy of a Hurney draft. Suspect we'll get a back TE, an inferior corner, and WR that will have a 5-10 career NFL snaps from here on out. It was nice knowing you Rivera, your new boss isn't doing you any favors.
I don't agree at all. 3 picks, 3 big bodies at need positions. Next year will be the year they go CB fairly early IMO.

Barner LOL...I'm sure Rivera is thrilled with a 5th RB behind Stewart, DWill, Tolbert, and Poole. After signing Ginn along with having Adams, I'm not sure if he will be returning kicks. Maybe a slot WR???

Did anyone in charge watch the game last year? Captain Munnerlyn and Haruki Nakamura will be on the field for us very frequently.

The tide had shifted to DWill being back this year. Does anyone expect him to be cut now? Does the LB pick give you concerns about Beason and might he be cut?

Barner LOL...I'm sure Rivera is thrilled with a 5th RB behind Stewart, DWill, Tolbert, and Poole. After signing Ginn along with having Adams, I'm not sure if he will be returning kicks. Maybe a slot WR???

Did anyone in charge watch the game last year? Captain Munnerlyn and Haruki Nakamura will be on the field for us very frequently.

The tide had shifted to DWill being back this year. Does anyone expect him to be cut now? Does the LB pick give you concerns about Beason and might he be cut?
I think Beason stays. I think DW is a June 1st cut. Nakamura should not be starting. My guess is that it's Mitchell.

I'm ok with the DT picks. Our run defense was pretty poor last year. My hope is that we force teams into more 3rd and long by stopping the run. Mayock had good things to say about the G pick. I think the LB is depth and special teams and the RB is most likely to become a Sproles type scat-back player. This draft wasn't going to make us a playoff team. Way too many holes for that. My 2nd guess is that we pick up a G or T in free agency or after some of the cuts happen. Next year, I'd think we'd go WR/CB, maybe TE fairly early. I would have loved to trade down in the first as well, but I don't think a lot of teams were getting good value for the drop. Might as well take the BPA and I think Star was that in a position of need.

Undrafted FAs Carolina Panthers

Players:

Colby Cameron, QB, Louisiana Tech

Taylor Cook, TE, Rice

Trey Diller, WR, Sam Houston State

Wes Horton, DE, Southern Cal

Bryan Jean-Pierre, DL, William & Mary

Damario Jeffery, LB, South Carolina

Pete Kontodiakos, P, Colorado State

Robert Lester, S, Alabama

Morgan Lineberry, K, Abilene Christian

Tori Mobley, G, Jacksonville State

Tyler Morgan, LS, Georgia Tech

Jesse Peterson, OT, Wheaton

Craig Roh, DE, Michigan

Melvin White, CB, Louisiana Lafayette

Lester wasn't drafted?
No, and I was pretty happy to see him on that list. Wonder what turned everyone away?

Nevermind ETA:

Roll Bama Roll filed the following report on Lester's postseason performance immediately after the combine.

Unfortunately for his cohort in the defensive backfield, Robert Lester's Combine performance only cast an even more critical light on his potential as an NFL safety.

While Lester was a stalwart on a Bama defense that won three championships during his career, he has struggled to make an impression on pro scouts at both the Senior Bowl and at the Combine. His results have not been poor, but neither have they distinguished him from his fellow safety prospects.

Lester has to be considered a mid-round prospect at best. He doesn't translate into being anything more than a decent backup strong safety in the NFL. He struggles in coverage and cannot be asked to defend NFL-caliber receivers or tight ends down the field.

His performances at the combine and Senior Bowl pretty much verified what most of us thought heading into the draft process.

Wow thats crazy, seems like all the dude did was produce on the field. Granted it was on Alabamas defense but the guy seemed to make big plays in most of the games I saw. Pleasant surprise to see him picked up at a position of need.

I hope he proves the scouts wrong. He certainly has the size for strong safety. Maybe he will not be featured in the defense but he will definitely be put to use.

Pantherz said:
pantherclub said:
Lester wasn't drafted?
No, and I was pretty happy to see him on that list. Wonder what turned everyone away?

Nevermind ETA:

Roll Bama Roll filed the following report on Lester's postseason performance immediately after the combine.

>

Unfortunately for his cohort in the defensive backfield, Robert Lester's Combine performance only cast an even more critical light on his potential as an NFL safety.

While Lester was a stalwart on a Bama defense that won three championships during his career, he has struggled to make an impression on pro scouts at both the Senior Bowl and at the Combine. His results have not been poor, but neither have they distinguished him from his fellow safety prospects.

Lester has to be considered a mid-round prospect at best. He doesn't translate into being anything more than a decent backup strong safety in the NFL. He struggles in coverage and cannot be asked to defend NFL-caliber receivers or tight ends down the field.

His performances at the combine and Senior Bowl pretty much verified what most of us thought heading into the draft process.
That should be good enough to compete for a starting position in our secondary.

I see BnB is all doom and gloom. But this was a pretty good draft. We have so many corners and safeties coming to camp now it's ridiculous. Once we missed out on the top 2 why bother. The only reason to draft a wideout was if he was going to replace Smith. Those guys are in next years draft. In fact all the skill positions are going to be far deeper next year.

I like the double down on the line. Star makes a suspect line better immediately. And KK will get this year to get some more experience and coaching while still making an impact. Throw in Dwan and you have a nice 3 tackle rotation that doesn't give the O-line much of a break. Our front 7 is probably the best in the NFC South and could be one of the best in the league after they get some snaps. Oh and on these guys taking plays off. They were both on the field for over 90% of their teams defensive snaps. Probably 80+ a game. You take 80 snaps and see if your effort looks the same throughout.They won't get anywhere near that in the pros. Probably more like 30 or so game most of the time.

If the guard pans out that's a huge improvement to the O-line. You can't coach size or athleticism and he has both.

Someone ooh-oohed a linebacker pick. Well we needed one. And we got a guy that can play all 3 positions plus make a contribution to special teams.

And Barner is uber-fast. Sub 4.4 forty. He will push Ginn for returns. And I believe Ginn is a one year guy. Might be nice to have someone cheap on the payroll that can bring it in the return game next year. No one else on the team has shown consistent game changing ability back there. He was also featured in the offense he comes from. Shown he can carry the ball. He did have some fumble issues early on but only had one last year.

We weren't going to plug every hole with 5 picks. But all in all I like the way it went. I give it a B+ for now. If the OG makes the starting line up and shows he has it I'd give it an A. And really just what they did to upgrade the defense probably deserves an A but as a fan I get to be picky.

I see BnB is all doom and gloom. But this was a pretty good draft. We have so many corners and safeties coming to camp now it's ridiculous. Once we missed out on the top 2 why bother. The only reason to draft a wideout was if he was going to replace Smith. Those guys are in next years draft. In fact all the skill positions are going to be far deeper next year.

I like the double down on the line. Star makes a suspect line better immediately. And KK will get this year to get some more experience and coaching while still making an impact. Throw in Dwan and you have a nice 3 tackle rotation that doesn't give the O-line much of a break. Our front 7 is probably the best in the NFC South and could be one of the best in the league after they get some snaps. Oh and on these guys taking plays off. They were both on the field for over 90% of their teams defensive snaps. Probably 80+ a game. You take 80 snaps and see if your effort looks the same throughout.They won't get anywhere near that in the pros. Probably more like 30 or so game most of the time.

If the guard pans out that's a huge improvement to the O-line. You can't coach size or athleticism and he has both.

Someone ooh-oohed a linebacker pick. Well we needed one. And we got a guy that can play all 3 positions plus make a contribution to special teams.

And Barner is uber-fast. Sub 4.4 forty. He will push Ginn for returns. And I believe Ginn is a one year guy. Might be nice to have someone cheap on the payroll that can bring it in the return game next year. No one else on the team has shown consistent game changing ability back there. He was also featured in the offense he comes from. Shown he can carry the ball. He did have some fumble issues early on but only had one last year.

We weren't going to plug every hole with 5 picks. But all in all I like the way it went. I give it a B+ for now. If the OG makes the starting line up and shows he has it I'd give it an A. And really just what they did to upgrade the defense probably deserves an A but as a fan I get to be picky.
BnB is full of doom and gloom after every draft. I like your summary NCC, and agree on all points.

I don't wade into the pool very often. Is this SOP for our good buddy BnB?? ;)

I was really excited about the first pick...after reading a bit got excited about the second pick. Gettleman is making it clear what his philosophy is. I'm not overly concerned that we didn't get "name" guys as long as they fit his vision. I'm concerned that the OG pick was a bit of a reach, but again...if he best fits the system I don't really care if there were guys ranked above him. I'd be lying if a little part of me didn't go down the "here we go again" path with the last picks. However, after a closer look, I think he was after guys for the future, but in the meantime can help out on special teams.

I don't wade into the pool very often. Is this SOP for our good buddy BnB?? ;)

I was really excited about the first pick...after reading a bit got excited about the second pick. Gettleman is making it clear what his philosophy is. I'm not overly concerned that we didn't get "name" guys as long as they fit his vision. I'm concerned that the OG pick was a bit of a reach, but again...if he best fits the system I don't really care if there were guys ranked above him. I'd be lying if a little part of me didn't go down the "here we go again" path with the last picks. However, after a closer look, I think he was after guys for the future, but in the meantime can help out on special teams.
BnB can be a bit gloomy but we love him anyway. Obviously we won't know how good this is for 3 years or so but I think I see a plan. And really I never felt that way with the former regime. Of course we hear a lot of that pinned on JR. Allegedly he was the reason we were on the hook to Delhomme for 12 mil for example. Hopefully he is letting the new guys do it their way and not going all Jerry Jones on us again.

Panthers official UDFA signings so far:

The Carolina Panthers announced Tuesday morning that they have agreed to terms with 13 undrafted rookies.

The list is headed by Louisiana Tech quarterback Colby Cameron, who might have a chance to compete with Jimmy Clausen for the No. 3 spot.

The rest of the list includes Rice tight end Taylor Cook, Sam Houston State receiver Trey Diller, Southern California defensive end Wes Horton, South Carolina linebacker Damario Jeffrey, East Carolina guard Robert Jones, Alabama defensive back Robert Lester, Abiline Christian kicker Morgan Lineberry, Jacksonville State guard Tori Mobley, Michigan defensive end Craig Roh, Oklaohma defensive tackle Casey Walker, Louisiana Lafayette defensive back Melvin White and Penn State fullback Mike Zordich.
Per ESPN

Watched Roh's entire career...he's a bit undersized, but his motor just doesn't stop. He needs to bulk up a little bit.

Watched Roh's entire career...he's a bit undersized, but his motor just doesn't stop. He needs to bulk up a little bit.
Yeah his main positives seem to be a constantly running motor and his position versatility, it seems Michigan had him do everything.

I still cannot believe Lester didnt get drafted. nice pickup for the Panthers
Lester's coverage skills are suspect. He plays stiff and some times gets lost in the coverage. He may actually be a better prospect for linebacker than safety with his hitting ability, his willingness to tackle runners and his ability to blitz. Since he was generally considered a mid-round pick this was definitely s good value grab.

The tide had shifted to DWill being back this year. Does anyone expect him to be cut now?
Maybe not this year but I don't see how he is on the roster next season.
Yeah IIRC next year we would actually get some cap relief cutting him if it goes that way. I'll be interested to see what we do with Stewart. IMO RB's have become pretty much interchangeable. Unless you get an AP you should just draft them, hold on to them through their first contract and then get new ones.

>I still cannot believe Lester didnt get drafted. nice pickup for the Panthers
Lester's coverage skills are suspect. He plays stiff and some times gets lost in the coverage. He may actually be a better prospect for linebacker than safety with his hitting ability, his willingness to tackle runners and his ability to blitz. Since he was generally considered a mid-round pick this was definitely s good value grab.
Yeah I am not sure about his cover skills but the dude seemed to make big plays at times and never shied away from laying the wood and stopping the run. I think there is a place for that in certain defensive schemes. They certainly cannot build the defense around him but they sure can do stuff to use his assets.

Yeah his main positives seem to be a constantly running motor and his position versatility, it seems Michigan had him do everything.
There were times...mid game....where they'd go from a 4-3 to a 3-4 because of his ability to play either way. It's sad half his career was wasted under RR.

I see BnB is all doom and gloom. But this was a pretty good draft. We have so many corners and safeties coming to camp now it's ridiculous. Once we missed out on the top 2 why bother. The only reason to draft a wideout was if he was going to replace Smith. Those guys are in next years draft. In fact all the skill positions are going to be far deeper next year. I like the double down on the line. Star makes a suspect line better immediately. And KK will get this year to get some more experience and coaching while still making an impact. Throw in Dwan and you have a nice 3 tackle rotation that doesn't give the O-line much of a break. Our front 7 is probably the best in the NFC South and could be one of the best in the league after they get some snaps. Oh and on these guys taking plays off. They were both on the field for over 90% of their teams defensive snaps. Probably 80+ a game. You take 80 snaps and see if your effort looks the same throughout.They won't get anywhere near that in the pros. Probably more like 30 or so game most of the time. If the guard pans out that's a huge improvement to the O-line. You can't coach size or athleticism and he has both. Someone ooh-oohed a linebacker pick. Well we needed one. And we got a guy that can play all 3 positions plus make a contribution to special teams. And Barner is uber-fast. Sub 4.4 forty. He will push Ginn for returns. And I believe Ginn is a one year guy. Might be nice to have someone cheap on the payroll that can bring it in the return game next year. No one else on the team has shown consistent game changing ability back there. He was also featured in the offense he comes from. Shown he can carry the ball. He did have some fumble issues early on but only had one last year. We weren't going to plug every hole with 5 picks. But all in all I like the way it went. I give it a B+ for now. If the OG makes the starting line up and shows he has it I'd give it an A. And really just what they did to upgrade the defense probably deserves an A but as a fan I get to be picky.
BnB is full of doom and gloom after every draft. I like your summary NCC, and agree on all points.
BnB has been right more often than not on these things.Honestly this draft looks very similar to a Hurney draft. How many teams go small school guards in back to back drafts. How many times did Hurney draft a return guy?I hope Gettleman is a better talent evaluator in the later rounds than Hurney. Hurney did nail most of his first round picks aside from Otah (which was one of my favorite picks at the time :bag: ).

Jimmy Clausen, Everette Brown, Armanti Edwards, Dwayne Jarrett, Keary Colbert and Eric Shelton all say hello

Yeah he nailed the first round I will give him that but holy mother of God did he make a mockery out of rounds 2 and 3

I see BnB is all doom and gloom. But this was a pretty good draft. We have so many corners and safeties coming to camp now it's ridiculous. Once we missed out on the top 2 why bother. The only reason to draft a wideout was if he was going to replace Smith. Those guys are in next years draft. In fact all the skill positions are going to be far deeper next year. I like the double down on the line. Star makes a suspect line better immediately. And KK will get this year to get some more experience and coaching while still making an impact. Throw in Dwan and you have a nice 3 tackle rotation that doesn't give the O-line much of a break. Our front 7 is probably the best in the NFC South and could be one of the best in the league after they get some snaps. Oh and on these guys taking plays off. They were both on the field for over 90% of their teams defensive snaps. Probably 80+ a game. You take 80 snaps and see if your effort looks the same throughout.They won't get anywhere near that in the pros. Probably more like 30 or so game most of the time. If the guard pans out that's a huge improvement to the O-line. You can't coach size or athleticism and he has both. Someone ooh-oohed a linebacker pick. Well we needed one. And we got a guy that can play all 3 positions plus make a contribution to special teams. And Barner is uber-fast. Sub 4.4 forty. He will push Ginn for returns. And I believe Ginn is a one year guy. Might be nice to have someone cheap on the payroll that can bring it in the return game next year. No one else on the team has shown consistent game changing ability back there. He was also featured in the offense he comes from. Shown he can carry the ball. He did have some fumble issues early on but only had one last year. We weren't going to plug every hole with 5 picks. But all in all I like the way it went. I give it a B+ for now. If the OG makes the starting line up and shows he has it I'd give it an A. And really just what they did to upgrade the defense probably deserves an A but as a fan I get to be picky.
BnB has been right more often than not on these things.Honestly this draft looks very similar to a Hurney draft. How many teams go small school guards in back to back drafts. How many times did Hurney draft a return guy?I hope Gettleman is a better talent evaluator in the later rounds than Hurney. Hurney did nail most of his first round picks aside from Otah (which was one of my favorite picks at the time :bag: ).
There's more to it than this IMO. For example, I'd have had no problem with the Edwards pick had it been in the 6th or 7th round. That's why I don't have a real problem with the Barner pick. Where the two seem to be completely different is the "best on the board" vs "best player at position of need" philosophies. Granted, it's only one draft....we'll see what happens once he's fixed the mess and has a full arsenal of funds and picks at his disposal. So far, he's already shown more restraint than Hurney ever did.

Users who are viewing this thread