What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (2 Viewers)

Yeah that’s an awful loss. I’m still mostly on the fence re Rivera — I’ll be ok w him being fired or retained so long as Hurney is gone — but having the team play so flat against a terrible opponent is a bad look. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Ron Rivera, and have a lot of respect for him. I think he has been the best HC the Panthers have ever had. Having said that, I understand why he was fired, although I don't like that it was done before the season ended, but Riverboat Ron will land on his feet.  I hope the change will be good for both the Panthers and Ron.  Tepper probably already has people in mind that he is bringing in. 

Not surprising but I'd rather they waited til end of season.  Curious it is Farrell instead of Norv as interim.  

Sadness. I appreciate Rivera in the big picture. At least I will be able to read a forum without all the whining and ridiculousness. 

I wonder if this increases or decreases the chance of Cam returning. What do you guys think? I too like and respect Ron, especially his riverboat gambling tendencies, but I do think its probably best for the team. I'm a Redskins lifer but living in NC have supported the Panthers as my 1B favorite since day one. And sometimes a coaching change is exactly what is needed. Even my awful Redskins have been playing MUCH better since we got rid of that idiot Jay Gruden (now we just need to fire our GM) I hope the Panthers can get someone that will continue to utilize CMC, but also get the best out of Moore and Samuel. 

I would think so.  My guess is Tepper is cleaning house.
I just Googled Hurneys name as soon as I saw Rivera was gone. Some speculation right now he may be staying, but that’s unclear this early. Tepper announced they’ll hire an asst GM and VP of football operations. 

Edit to add: here’s the ESPN story speculating on Hurney. 

Never been a fan of firing a coach during the season unless they've lost the team, Ron hadn't. And I would point out the reason we dont have a veteran QB backup isn't Ron. With that said he took on responsibility for the defense made a change it's not clear we have the personnel to play and the D has looked lost quite a bit. 

Tepper made it clear Hurney is staying. There will be an assistant GM and a VP of football operations. Also Norv is special assistant HC while his son becomes OC calling it an audition. Fewell is of course HC and this is also being called an audition. Tepper did seem high on both.

We'll see.

Draft day strategy if Hurney stays: let him make the first round pick, then duct tape him to an office chair and roll him into a locked room without access to phones or computers. 

ffmail4me said:
I wonder if this increases or decreases the chance of Cam returning. What do you guys think? I too like and respect Ron, especially his riverboat gambling tendencies, but I do think its probably best for the team. I'm a Redskins lifer but living in NC have supported the Panthers as my 1B favorite since day one. And sometimes a coaching change is exactly what is needed. Even my awful Redskins have been playing MUCH better since we got rid of that idiot Jay Gruden (now we just need to fire our GM) I hope the Panthers can get someone that will continue to utilize CMC, but also get the best out of Moore and Samuel. 
Who cares?  Cam is done.  You have a cheaper qb option that is better than cam right now.  If they dont cut loose from cam and ride the young qb they are idiots

On a cbs pick 6 podcast they said a big reason that Tepper made this move now was to not go behind RR back and to give him a early chance to find another job and the big one is that the panthers can get a jump on the other teams in talking to college coaches Matt Rhule and Dabo swiney.    Not sure what to think of either.  The kid in me however would love to see Riley on the sidelines just to see what his offense looks like in the NFL

Who cares?  Cam is done.  You have a cheaper qb option that is better than cam right now.  If they dont cut loose from cam and ride the young qb they are idiots
If his foot is bad enough that the plan is to convert him into a pocket passer then I don’t see that as workable. Cam without his legs at $19 million next year feels to me like a costly way to get a 6-10 or 7-9 team that delays/works against a rebuild (in terms of cap space and draft position). 

The tricky thing is we don’t know much about his health and/or what the team might get in a trade. 

If his foot is bad enough that the plan is to convert him into a pocket passer then I don’t see that as workable. Cam without his legs at $19 million next year feels to me like a costly way to get a 6-10 or 7-9 team that delays/works against a rebuild (in terms of cap space and draft position). 

The tricky thing is we don’t know much about his health and/or what the team might get in a trade. 
Cam is having surgery so I would bet just about anything we pick a qb in the first this draft.  Whether we move up or not we shall see but with the surgery now we cannot rely on cam for next season.

Tepper said that he hopes Cam is healthy, but neither him or Cam know at this point. He also said Cam's 21.1 million dollar cap in 2020 isn't a detriment. He said they aren't weighted down by a 36 million dollar a year mistake right now. It sounds like Tepper is going to wait and see how Cam feels next year.

The kid in me however would love to see Riley on the sidelines just to see what his offense looks like in the NFL
Lincoln learned under Mike Leach. His first OC job was at ECU for fives year doing the Leach Air Raid under Ruffin McNeil. He was great, and then he got hired by Oklahoma, and has gotten even better. Kliff Kingsbury is also a Mike Leach disciple, so that type of offense is installed with the Cardinals this year.  Lincoln has his own style of the Air Raid though, and he has continued to perfect his version over the years.  I don't know how it would translate in the NFL.  Steve Spurrier's Fun N' Gun did not translate well in the NFL. You never really know how things will go until they are implemented, but Lincoln has a great offensive mind. 

Lincoln learned under Mike Leach. His first OC job was at ECU for fives year doing the Leach Air Raid under Ruffin McNeil. He was great, and then he got hired by Oklahoma, and has gotten even better. Kliff Kingsbury is also a Mike Leach disciple, so that type of offense is installed with the Cardinals this year.  Lincoln has his own style of the Air Raid though, and he has continued to perfect his version over the years.  I don't know how it would translate in the NFL.  Steve Spurrier's Fun N' Gun did not translate well in the NFL. You never really know how things will go until they are implemented, but Lincoln has a great offensive mind. 
I think Lincoln is smart enough to tweak or whatever his version to make it fit.  I would imagine its a cross between Baltimores and Arizona.  Somewhere in the middle and furthermore I would love to see Hurts running it

I think Lincoln is smart enough to tweak or whatever his version to make it fit.  I would imagine its a cross between Baltimores and Arizona.  Somewhere in the middle and furthermore I would love to see Hurts running it
I think Lincoln enjoys coaching college football, and he is good for the game.  He is building his own legacy there in Oklahoma, and I hope he stays with the Sooners.

I think Lincoln enjoys coaching college football, and he is good for the game.  He is building his own legacy there in Oklahoma, and I hope he stays with the Sooners.
I think he will move up eventually just a matter of the right situation.  A team without a qb a la Panthers just isnt it. 

Like I said earlier dealing with these kids has to be difficult 

On a cbs pick 6 podcast they said a big reason that Tepper made this move now was to not go behind RR back and to give him a early chance to find another job and the big one is that the panthers can get a jump on the other teams in talking to college coaches Matt Rhule and Dabo swiney.    Not sure what to think of either.  The kid in me however would love to see Riley on the sidelines just to see what his offense looks like in the NFL
I don't see any scenario where Dabo Swinney leaves Clemson for the NFL at this time.  I don't think his method of coaching will translate well into the NFL.  He's an exceptional motivator and people love to play for him, but he's not a great offensive or defensive mind.  He'd need a top notch OC and DC.  He's built something special at Clemson and I just don't see him leaving that.  As a Panther fan, as much as I love Dabo... I don't want him as our HC.  

I'd rather see Riley in Carolina before any other college coach.  And if Riley is hired, he'll need a good QB to develop with his style.  Would love to see him with Hurts.  Or 2021 with Lawrence would be better, though I am admittedly a homer.  

On a cbs pick 6 podcast they said a big reason that Tepper made this move now was to not go behind RR back and to give him a early chance to find another job and the big one is that the panthers can get a jump on the other teams in talking to college coaches Matt Rhule and Dabo swiney.   
Makes sense.  Ron is a class act all the way so I can see wanting to be upfront with him.

On a cbs pick 6 podcast they said a big reason that Tepper made this move now was to not go behind RR back and to give him a early chance to find another job and the big one is that the panthers can get a jump on the other teams in talking to college coaches Matt Rhule and Dabo swiney.   
Makes sense.  Ron is a class act all the way so I can see wanting to be upfront with him.

Not sure they're going to find a better coach than Ron but I hope they find a good one.  

Offensive minded:  Greg Roman?  McCarthy?

Defensive minded:  Robert Saleh?

Try to bring back Sean McDermott?

You know, Tepper is shrewd. He somehow gets integrity points for early canning Ron, at the same time gets killer PR with every potential hire out there.

Allen just can't keep hold of the ball.  Another ugly game. 

I wish Tepper could find us another John Lynch.  

So it is entirely possible the Panthers starting QB next year isn't on the roster right? Not sold on Allen AT ALL. Think Panthers will look at Bridgewater or another FA QB? 

So it is entirely possible the Panthers starting QB next year isn't on the roster right? Not sold on Allen AT ALL. Think Panthers will look at Bridgewater or another FA QB? 
100% chance they pick one in the first.   The question is how far will they move up?

I feel like they are in a "it's going to get worse before it gets better" situation.  This could get uglier.
Depends on the coach I guess but without a starter at QB then we are eyeballing a bad situation.  In a perfect world Cam comes back healthy and we can use our first on a stud LT but I dont think there is any chance we will know about him before the draft therefor they have to hedge their bets and try and draft a new qb. 

100% chance they pick one in the first.   The question is how far will they move up?
If so, then please please let that not be Herbert. I really don't like him as a prospect. His inaccuracy issues and streakiness don't bode well imo. He seems like one of those guys who NFL scouts and coaches will talk themselves into because of his top physical traits. If they can move up for Tua, that'd be great. I'm not sure what they would use to get there though. If Tua comes through the process with a decent bill of health I think his value will climb back up.

Not sure about Herbert.  He makes me nervous for basically the same reasons DAG mentioned above.  Tua makes me nervous too.  He wasn't the most mobile QB even before the hip injury.  He does throw a beautiful ball and is very accurate.  Just worried about his ability to scramble out of the pocket in the NFL.  I wouldn't trade up to get him.  If you're going to trade up go after Burrows.  But I'd still rather see Cam back next season and see where we are.  

If Cam doesn't return I'd like to see them go after someone like Bridgewater.  Eli Manning for one season?  

Not sure about Herbert.  He makes me nervous for basically the same reasons DAG mentioned above.  Tua makes me nervous too.  He wasn't the most mobile QB even before the hip injury.  He does throw a beautiful ball and is very accurate.  Just worried about his ability to scramble out of the pocket in the NFL.  I wouldn't trade up to get him.  If you're going to trade up go after Burrows.  But I'd still rather see Cam back next season and see where we are.  

If Cam doesn't return I'd like to see them go after someone like Bridgewater.  Eli Manning for one season?  
:X

You guys are forgetting about Grier and the guy who picked him is a "great evaluator of college talent".

I still don't see Cam not starting next year if healthy.  You have lamar jackson destroying the league and Cam is the closet thing to him in the NFL.

We've been trying to forget about Grier for most of the season.  Cam starting next year is my first choice too.  

We've been trying to forget about Grier for most of the season.  Cam starting next year is my first choice too.  
Well what we knew is Grier would need at least a season holding a clipboard. He has all the physical tools to be a starter in this league but he needed coaching and class room time. Don't think he won't be in the mix come next season.

Users who are viewing this thread