What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (4 Viewers)

If this team wants to show progress, it needs to beat Dallas and NYG in that list of yours BnB. I really wish the Seattle game was NOT the week after the bye. It's a tough game to begin with and knowing how this team's performed right after a bye in the past does not give me a ton of hope.

Charlotte sports radio today basically said Car has 2 must draft guys if they fall to them. In this order; Gurley and Collins. Unfortunately that Collins isn't the Collins most here seem to want. They were talking about Landon, not La'el.

Basically the sentiment was that Gurley is an elite talent, top 10, who can't be passed up if he falls. Hard to argue that. Landon is simply the far and away beat S in the class, likely top 15 talent.

I suppose I'd take Gurley over any OL in this class, though that's kind of hard to accept with the glaring need. Landon Collins on the other hand? Give me at least 4 of these OL guys instead.
Think the Landon Collins ranking came from draft geeks during the year, and NFL teams have a much different view of a guy with serious coverage questions.
I don't see serious coverage concerns. I think there is growing negativity because of his build and frame. I've heard people say he's too think and might eventually have to bump down to LB.Some more thoughts from the past few weeks. A lot of people like Strong as a great fit if Car goes WR in round 1. I like it too. Also, it seems Car is expected to take a RB early, like round 1-4. Maybe the craziest talk is that a lot of speculation has brewed about Gregory potentially falling to Car at 25. I can't see that happening and he's not a great fit. He is too talented to not take there, though.
The next Brian Urlacher? Not a need with Luke, but damn that would be a scary LB Corps.

So Hardy gets 10 games. I think he will not serve that. AP was found guilty in and his lawyers kicked the NFLs butt in court. Either way he'll still be available to play in the Thanksgiving game.

So Hardy gets 10 games. I think he will not serve that. AP was found guilty in and his lawyers kicked the NFLs butt in court. Either way he'll still be available to play in the Thanksgiving game.
after sitting 20+ games. Doubt he will be effective.

Its a damn travesty how Hardy has been treated through all of this. Yes I know he still got paid but this case should be an example of how the NFL should not handle things. A total clustereff.

Now officially glad they cut ties with this loon. Pretty disappointed how he's handled himself through all this with the tweeting etc. There's a difference between innocent and not guilty. He'd be hard pressed to convince me he's innocent.

So moving on. I'm convinced the Panthers have no intention of drafting a tackle in the first round. Maybe if Andrus falls to us but he is the last guy in that round that could come in and start at LT. I think they plan to roll with Oher and try to develop a later round prospect for down the road.

So moving on. I'm convinced the Panthers have no intention of drafting a tackle in the first round. Maybe if Andrus falls to us but he is the last guy in that round that could come in and start at LT. I think they plan to roll with Oher and try to develop a later round prospect for down the road.
I wouldn't be surprised at any pick at this point. I think they will take the best player available. I find myself being ok with just about any pick. The only picks that would be leaving me in a WTF state would be a QB, TE or kicker of some sort.. I'm even ok with them taking a "project" tackle if they choose. Give him a year to learn and be good to go the following year.

I wouldn't be surprised at any pick at this point. I think they will take the best player available. I find myself being ok with just about any pick. The only picks that would be leaving me in a WTF state would be a QB, TE or kicker of some sort.. I'm even ok with them taking a "project" tackle if they choose. Give him a year to learn and be good to go the following year.
I think I agree with this, no reaches just the guy they think is the best player (best fit if more than one BPA).

ETA: That said, it would be great if the BPA also happens to match a big hole like WR, OL or DB.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me a first round pick needs to be a day one player. That's why I say if you are going to pick a guy who is a project then get him later.

To me a first round pick needs to be a day one player. That's why I say if you are going to pick a guy who is a project then get him later.
Very true. Outside of the OL collapse last year and the injuries that really hurt in that 6 game losing streak, we are what 20-6-1/1-2 in playoffs with several close losses to teams like Seattle where one DWill fumble and one 90 yard INT for TD play changes the game. If we can pull a solid 1st and 2nd round pick, I think we could be really good and I wouldn't think another NFC South team could touch us. Just keep getting to the playoffs and you never know.

I get that. I haven't followed many drafts as closely as I have the last few going back to the last couple years of Hurney. I can't remember a time where we haven't had HUGE holes to fill. Our largest hole is obvious, but it's smaller compared to previous years (if that makes sense) and I don't know how many drafts exist where can't miss day one OL fall to the 20s of the first round. That's why I'd be ok with them taking a guy and letting him learn for a year. I personally don't really consider that a project (I think more along the lines of 2-3 years worth of learning/teaching when I think project).

The Commish said:
NCCommish said:
The Commish said:
I get that. I haven't followed many drafts as closely as I have the last few going back to the last couple years of Hurney. I can't remember a time where we haven't had HUGE holes to fill. Our largest hole is obvious, but it's smaller compared to previous years (if that makes sense) and I don't know how many drafts exist where can't miss day one OL fall to the 20s of the first round. That's why I'd be ok with them taking a guy and letting him learn for a year. I personally don't really consider that a project (I think more along the lines of 2-3 years worth of learning/teaching when I think project).
Problem is almost every tackle in the draft is a right tackle at the NFL level and getting them ready to move will take a couple of years.

The Commish said:
NCCommish said:
The Commish said:
Problem is almost every tackle in the draft is a right tackle at the NFL level and getting them ready to move will take a couple of years.
Don't disagree....stepping back and looking at this thing as if there were no absolute needs, I'm liking this kid out of FSU that can play all over the o-line.

The Commish said:
NCCommish said:
The Commish said:
Yeah, that's the catch 22. If these guys were true LT prospects Car wouldn't have a chance at them, they'd be top 20 picks. Still, I think there add some quality players in the group worth rolling the dice on.

The Commish said:
NCCommish said:
The Commish said:
Yeah, that's the catch 22. If these guys were true LT prospects Car wouldn't have a chance at them, they'd be top 20 picks. Still, I think there add some quality players in the group worth rolling the dice on.
Been looking at some later round guys that have the physicality but are raw. I would rather get a project later. I think there will be a day one starter available for us at either safety,corner or wr.

Sorry for the ramblings but it's slow day at work and I have nothing else to do. Hadn't considered the possibility of trading back to early in the second round. If we are to believe there are only 20-22 "first round talents" in this draft, it seems like picking someone at 25 is a reach to some extent. What about trading back to the 5-6 spot of round two??

Sorry for the ramblings but it's slow day at work and I have nothing else to do. Hadn't considered the possibility of trading back to early in the second round. If we are to believe there are only 20-22 "first round talents" in this draft, it seems like picking someone at 25 is a reach to some extent. What about trading back to the 5-6 spot of round two??
Ramblings are better than no posts so ramble on.

I don't think DG will trade that pick. I think there is going to be first round talent where we pick. Collins should be there, Hurley may be there, a couple of different receivers may be there. I just don't think a day one LT will be there.

Not a coincidence that Hardy's 1st game will be against Carolina
I don't think for one second the NFL thinks that 10 game is going to happen. AP was convicted and beat the suspension. I expect it will be seriously reduced if not tossed completely.

To be honest I am rooting for Dorial Green Beckham to be there and us to pick him. Imagine him, Kelvin and an allegedly improved Hill as your top 3. What a matchup nightmare.

Clemmings is someone who has been mocked to us by a lot of people. Turns out he has a stress fracture in his foot. Apparently its actually an old injury that never bothered him. But stress fractures are always worrisome especially in big guys.

Clemmings is someone who has been mocked to us by a lot of people. Turns out he has a stress fracture in his foot. Apparently its actually an old injury that never bothered him. But stress fractures are always worrisome especially in big guys.
Maybe he drops to round 2.

I don't think DG will trade that pick. I think there is going to be first round talent where we pick. Collins should be there, Hurley may be there, a couple of different receivers may be there. I just don't think a day one LT will be there.
Agreed. I think 25 isn't a bad spot at all. I don't think I have seen a mock where it seemed like had no good options. Throw in the usual reaches and surprises and I think we will have a few options.

The Commish said:
NCCommish said:
The Commish said:
Maybe, but based on your other post, I doubt the guys going later are any better prospects at LT. As jurb said, the guys with 1st round talent that people project as anchor LTs are drafted much earlier, so all the OT prospects at 25 have question marks, doesn't mean that they are RTs just that they aren't top 10 picks. That said, it seems like there are some guys I have seen as potential LTs, just not top 10 guys.

Agreed. I think 25 isn't a bad spot at all. I don't think I have seen a mock where it seemed like had no good options. Throw in the usual reaches and surprises and I think we will have a few options.
Almost certainly 1 of the "22" first rounders will slip to 25.

Ramblings are better than no posts so ramble on.I don't think DG will trade that pick. I think there is going to be first round talent where we pick. Collins should be there, Hurley may be there, a couple of different receivers may be there. I just don't think a day one LT will be there.
Almost certainly 1 of the "22" first rounders will slip to 25.
I really don't even agree with the 22 number.

So Hardy got called a woman beater during workouts with his new team. An altercation ensued and the two had to be separated. Not an auspicious start in Dallas.

To be honest I am rooting for Dorial Green Beckham to be there and us to pick him. Imagine him, Kelvin and an allegedly improved Hill as your top 3. What a matchup nightmare.
Is the from a team source or "NFL insiders"? I've been picking him up in the late rounds of the FBG survivor leagues? After being all over Kelvin last winter the NFL analysts may just being following my moves.

Is the from a team source or "NFL insiders"? I've been picking him up in the late rounds of the FBG survivor leagues? After being all over Kelvin last winter the NFL analysts may just being following my moves.
Straight from the HC. Rivera has been quoted talking up Hill several times. Seems to really like what he is seeing fwiw.

Panthers officially exercise 5th year option with Luke. 11 million or so next year if they don't get a deal done first.

Straight from the HC. Rivera has been quoted talking up Hill several times. Seems to really like what he is seeing fwiw.
He also named Armanti Edwards the star of training camp way back when. I think in regards to this its all coach talk. Hill couldnt catch at Gtech, couldnt catch at the Jets so I doubt he miraculously is going to learn how over a year. What I bet is happening is that like in the combine and pro days, Hill is a freak and does all the right things, however when its game time he goes back to the same old same old.

He also named Armanti Edwards the star of training camp way back when. I think in regards to this its all coach talk. Hill couldnt catch at Gtech, couldnt catch at the Jets so I doubt he miraculously is going to learn how over a year. What I bet is happening is that like in the combine and pro days, Hill is a freak and does all the right things, however when its game time he goes back to the same old same old.
Actually Hill was pretty decent in college. He seemed.to regress after going pro. Seems he didn't think he was well coached there.

I have a lot of faith in Proehl, as in I trust his judgement. If he is high on Hill, I am taking it to the bank. I googled and found this radio interview quote:

“he did nothing but work his tail off….I can’t wait to get my hands on him this spring and in the offseason so as to showcase what he can do. This will be a big spring for him.”

from http://www.carolinacatchronicles.com/newsfeed/2015/4/16/ricky-proehl-high-on-stephen-hill

Taken from a radio interview found here: http://wfnz.com/audio-on-demand/page/2/

I think Hill will get a legit opportunity to compete for the #2 spot.

I have a lot of faith in Proehl, as in I trust his judgement. If he is high on Hill, I am taking it to the bank. I googled and found this radio interview quote:

he did nothing but work his tail off.I cant wait to get my hands on him this spring and in the offseason so as to showcase what he can do. This will be a big spring for him.

from http://www.carolinacatchronicles.com/newsfeed/2015/4/16/ricky-proehl-high-on-stephen-hill

Taken from a radio interview found here: http://wfnz.com/audio-on-demand/page/2/

I think Hill will get a legit opportunity to compete for the #2 spot.
I think they really want him to be that guy. And with his numbers if he can break those bad habits we would really have something. If Ricky is in then I'm now officially excited about Hill.

If you did not listen to the interview, Proehl also talked like they were looking to add to the room in the draft too.
It will be interesting to see how the draft shakes out. I think the Panthers did a nice job in the draft last year. There was one or two misses in the later rounds, but for the most part they did well.

If Gurley falls in the first, will they grab him? Jstew, Fozzy and Todman are all that is back there?
I will be very surprised if Gurley drops to us. If he does they will have to seriously consider him. It would be a nice fit as we could ease him behind Stew this season.

If you did not listen to the interview, Proehl also talked like they were looking to add to the room in the draft too.
It will be interesting to see how the draft shakes out. I think the Panthers did a nice job in the draft last year. There was one or two misses in the later rounds, but for the most part they did well.
If there is the expected run on D players in the first round we may get lucky.

That and OTs/WRs. I agree with your post above that Gurley is likely not going to be around and likely Gordon as well. I know it is en vogue to say that RBs are a dime a dozen and very low valued, but I still think when the top guys are more in the LT2/ADP/Emmitt/Barry/Payton mold than Bishop Sankey, they will go early.

IMHO, there are too many teams with RB needs (huge or just big improvements) after pick 7 and before pick 25 to think that Gurley will be there. Atlanta, NYG, St. Louis, Minny (depending on ADP), Cleveland x2, San Diego, Detroit (?) and Arizona.

It will be a fun night, :banned: to someone slipping like Star. Remember before the draft where people put him as the potential #1 (like Williams this year) before his physical?

That and OTs/WRs. I agree with your post above that Gurley is likely not going to be around and likely Gordon as well. I know it is en vogue to say that RBs are a dime a dozen and very low valued, but I still think when the top guys are more in the LT2/ADP/Emmitt/Barry/Payton mold than Bishop Sankey, they will go early.IMHO, there are too many teams with RB needs (huge or just big improvements) after pick 7 and before pick 25 to think that Gurley will be there. Atlanta, NYG, St. Louis, Minny (depending on ADP), Cleveland x2, San Diego, Detroit (?) and Arizona.

It will be a fun night, :banned: to someone slipping like Star. Remember before the draft where people put him as the potential #1 (like Williams this year) before his physical?
Yeah if he somehow falls to Arizona I don't see how they pick someone else. Same with Gordon. I think in the second round we'll have a shot at someone good.

So big day is tomorrow. My big prediction is barring one of the top guys falling, most likely Peet, there will not be a tackle taken in the first by the Panthers. I think they feel like Oher can handle it. I think Gentleman made that fairly clear in his presser.

So big day is tomorrow. My big prediction is barring one of the top guys falling, most likely Peet, there will not be a tackle taken in the first by the Panthers. I think they feel like Oher can handle it. I think Gentleman made that fairly clear in his presser.
As clear as HE can be anyway ;)

I tend to agree. I'm now thinking it is going to be the best defensive player available or a WR.

I tend to agree. I'm now thinking it is going to be the best defensive player available or a WR.
He said their are only 5 tackles in this draft. I think he has a late sleeper in mind.

BassNBrew said:
The Commish said:
NCCommish said:

He said their are only 5 tackles in this draft. I think he has a late sleeper in mind.
That's one take from the quotes:

TACKLE TALK: Gettleman said there are ''four to five'' players in the draft who can develop into quality left tackles in the NFL, although he wouldn't mention any by name.

''Is there a long-term guy at the left tackle spot who could be available for us at 25? Yes,'' Gettleman said.
I thought the opposite, that out of the top ranked OL, he felt only 5 were possible tackles and in some mocks there are 5 gone before our pick. Outside of Scherff, the others I have seen all over the place in the 1st round. Heck the latest mock I see on ESPN has Flowers going #9 and Collins going #29, which is pretty much opposite most every mock I have seen where Collins seemed to be the #2 OL behind Scherff on average and Flowers was usually late first. I think if one of the 4 or 5 is available at 25 that he wouldn't hesitate, unless someone special dropped and one of the 4 or 5 could be available in the 2nd.

Anyway, pretty excited to see where we go.

BassNBrew said:
The Commish said:
NCCommish said:

TACKLE TALK: Gettleman said there are ''four to five'' players in the draft who can develop into quality left tackles in the NFL, although he wouldn't mention any by name.

''Is there a long-term guy at the left tackle spot who could be available for us at 25? Yes,'' Gettleman said.
I thought the opposite, that out of the top ranked OL, he felt only 5 were possible tackles and in some mocks there are 5 gone before our pick. Outside of Scherff, the others I have seen all over the place in the 1st round. Heck the latest mock I see on ESPN has Flowers going #9 and Collins going #29, which is pretty much opposite most every mock I have seen where Collins seemed to be the #2 OL behind Scherff on average and Flowers was usually late first. I think if one of the 4 or 5 is available at 25 that he wouldn't hesitate, unless someone special dropped and one of the 4 or 5 could be available in the 2nd.

Hurney's show mock draft had us taking Perriman.

BassNBrew said:
The Commish said:
NCCommish said:

Hurney's show mock draft had us taking Perriman.
I saw another one with Devin Smith for us. I am not so sure I like either of those guys in the 1st. Perriman wasn't even sniffing the 1st round until his 40 time and Smith has questions about running more than go route. I like them both, but it seems like one of the burners/deep threats will be there in the 2nd (Dorsett as well). I'd rather have another player in the 1st and maybe Smith in the 2nd. I think he would likely be the one lasting till then.

Those WR options seem a bit "reachy" if you will for my tastes. I'm not really a big fan of Smith either. I don't think he's going to be wide open in the NFL like he was in college and I don't know if he's strong enough to compete for those balls on each down.

Users who are viewing this thread