What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (4 Viewers)

omally said:
BassNBrew said:
Trade up and get one of these guys who drop

DGB

Strong

Fisher

Clemmings

Gregory

Collins

Sit tight for Devin Smith

Really want to get Cam another weapon or protection.
I don't think they need to trade up to get Cam another weapon or protection.
Can we hire this guy as our GM.

Only gave up a 6th to move up.
That's not bad. They could possibly grab another WR later like Hardy or McBride.
My bad. 3rd round included. What an abortion.
He was projected to go in the early 2nd. I guess the Panthers really wanted him, and didn't feel he would be there for them to pick late in the 2nd.
I wonder what's wrong with Strong. Faster, better catcher, and 6'2"???

So the plan is for Funchess to put on more weight and play tackle, right?

Right?!?!
I recall last year a bunch of people carrying on about how Benjamin would be a bust, and he wasn't. To move up in the draft to get Funchess, I assume they feel he will be a good fit with Cam, and they were right last year about Benjamin. They also have Ginn, Cotchery, and the alleged new improved Hill (and Olsen). Forgot Philly Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:

Right?!?!
I recall last year a bunch of people carrying on about how Benjamin would be a bust, and he wasn't. To move up in the draft to get Funchess, I assume they feel he will be a good fit with Cam, and they were right last year about Benjamin. They also have Ginn, Cotchery, and the alleged new improved Hill (and Olsen).
Good point. That said, don't you think the drop from DGB to Funchess is enormous?

Only gave up a 6th to move up.
That's not bad. They could possibly grab another WR later like Hardy or McBride.
My bad. 3rd round included. What an abortion.
He was projected to go in the early 2nd. I guess the Panthers really wanted him, and didn't feel he would be there for them to pick late in the 2nd.
I wonder what's wrong with Strong. Faster, better catcher, and 6'2"???
I heard he has cooties.

Right?!?!
I recall last year a bunch of people carrying on about how Benjamin would be a bust, and he wasn't. To move up in the draft to get Funchess, I assume they feel he will be a good fit with Cam, and they were right last year about Benjamin. They also have Ginn, Cotchery, and the alleged new improved Hill (and Olsen).
Good point. That said, don't you think the drop from DGB to Funchess is enormous?
Maybe, but I didn't think they would consider DGB cause of character issues.

The Panthers have a desperate need for offensive linemen.

They just traded their 3rd round pick to draft a WR that couldn't outrun most of the posters here.

Not too many decent o-linemen available in round 4.

Horrible pick, and way worse, horrible decision to give up their 3rd round pick.

Right?!?!
Maybe, but I didn't think they would consider DGB cause of character issues.
We need to get over that and focus on a title.

They just traded their 3rd round pick to draft a WR that couldn't outrun most of the posters here.

Horrible pick, and way worse, horrible decision to give up their 3rd round pick.
The offense needs two things: speed and better blocking. Did they seriously just burn a 3rd to get someone who delivers neither of those things?

The offense needs two things: speed and better blocking. Did they seriously just burn a 3rd to get someone who delivers neither of those things?
Yes we did.

Hopefully he's the second coming of Gronk.

You either pick a need or the BPA....how do you trade up for someone who isn't close to either?
WR was a need. He was thought to be a first rounder last year until he hurt his leg and toe. Gettleman and Rivera like him.

Dave Gettleman, who spent nearly 25 years as a scout before becoming the Panthers’ general manager, said Funchess is fast enough. Funchess ran a 4.47 at Michigan’s pro day this spring after the combine.

“He plays fast. He’s a smooth, fluid big man,” Gettleman said. “We really like that about him.”

A night after Gettleman said he didn’t expect to trade up during the first three rounds, the Panthers gave St. Louis their 57th (second round), 89th (third) and 201st (sixth) picks to move up for Funchess.

Gettleman said the Panthers counted six teams ahead of them at 57 that had a need for a wide receiver.

Funchess caught 62 passes for 733 yards and four touchdowns last season as a junior at Michigan. The Panthers will have a big group of receivers, with Funchess joining last year’s first-round pick, Kelvin Benjamin, who is 6-5 and 240 pounds.

Gettleman noted that with the next pick after the Panthers took Funchess, the division rival Atlanta Falcons drafted Jalen Collins, the LSU cornerback who is 6-1 and 203 pounds.

“He’s a matchup issue,” Gettleman said.

Like everyone else, Panthers coach Ron Rivera heard the concerns about Funchess’ speed. Then Rivera turned on the tape and saw Funchess making tough catches over the middle, as well as beating defensive backs deep.

“You see a couple things that tell you this kid is a little bit different. He makes catches in traffic. He presents a big target in traffic and takes a lot of big shots, similar to what Kelvin does,” Rivera said. “And then you watch him go vertical, which was surprising. I was like, ‘Wait a minute, I thought people talked about he was not a vertical threat.’ He was a vertical threat.”

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article20057205.html#storylink=cpy

You either pick a need or the BPA....how do you trade up for someone who isn't close to either?
They needed a WR. Obviously they liked him enough to move up in the draft to get him.
I admire your faith simey, but tackle is a much greater need.

Now, they can't get one in round 3, either.
They added Oher and Martin, and they have a pick in the 4th, 3 picks in the 5th, and 1 in the 7th...I think... to add someone else to the OL. They could all end up to be the worst picks ever, but for now, I'll consider them good ones.

For comparison, a 3rd... we got Charles Johnson with a 3rd. We got Olsen for a 3rd. We got a current starting G with a 3rd. I think Travelle was a 3rd. There are more. This was a 3rd, a 2nd, and a 6th.

I think the guy runs a lot better than he did at the combine, but the drops are worrisome.

For comparison, a 3rd... we got Charles Johnson with a 3rd. We got Olsen for a 3rd. We got a current starting G with a 3rd. I think Travelle was a 3rd. There are more. This was a 3rd, a 2nd, and a 6th.

I think the guy runs a lot better than he did at the combine, but the drops are worrisome.
He ran a better time after the combine. I agree the drops are worrisome, but it is something he can work on. Benjamin needs to work on that too. Everyone has room for improvement, and it will be interesting to see how Cam's mechanics are this coming season since he is supposed to get help with that this offseason.

They needed a WR. Obviously they liked him enough to move up in the draft to get him.
Agree they could use a WR, particularly a speedy one. Funchess seems like more of a TE though.
He ran a 4.47 40 at his pro day. He is a wideout. I am OK with the pick and think if Hill has really started to put it together this group could be a real matchup problem. We got something for your 6'3" safety. And as far as tackles go anyone left is a project. This kid plays day one and has an impact.

Could have had Strong and Clemmings. I'd trade Funchess straight up for those two.
I like Strong but he is more of a possession guy and needs a lot of work especially on his routes. He needs someone who can throw him open and let's be honest Cam isn't that guy at least yet. Not sold on Clemmings, plenty of project guys left to pick.

Trading up for players that you could have gotten later is what got Marty Hurney fired.
How do you know they could have gotten Funchess later? He was predicted to go in the second.
You're right, I don't know.

I do know that they need a mother loving tackle though, and they lost their 3rd round pick to pick a friggin' WR in the second round.

When are the open tryouts for starting offensive line spots gonna start?

spider321 said:
omally said:
spider321 said:
Trading up for players that you could have gotten later is what got Marty Hurney fired.
How do you know they could have gotten Funchess later? He was predicted to go in the second.
You're right, I don't know.

I do know that they need a mother loving tackle though, and they lost their 3rd round pick to pick a friggin' WR in the second round.

When are the open tryouts for starting offensive line spots gonna start?
I doubt any tackle they could have gotten in the 2 or 3rd round would have helped this season anyway. I love the Funchess pick as it now makes our offense tougher to play against especially if the run game comes together. A lot of one on one match ups with our big wr's. Funchess helps us this year a la kb last season. Again, no tackle that I see would have made any significant contribution this season outside of building depth. If and that's a big if, oher plays at least average then this team is going to be really good for a long time. DG is building a solid foundation for long term success. However if oher plays like bell then cam may be dead by seasons end.

I hope we use our bevy of 5th level round picks to grab Clemmings. It would just be nice to get an OT with potential to groom. We need depth and he had a first round grade all over the place. Heck I wouldn't even mind taking a shot at Collins at this point. Maybe you can get him to sign. I know rookie contracts, but they redo contracts all the time. If he pans out and is completely clear, you do an extension, etc.

ETA: I know we can't trade 2 of the 5ths, but use our 4th and 5th and move up.

Slapdash said:
simey said:
Slapdash said:
Agree they could use a WR, particularly a speedy one. Funchess seems like more of a TE though.
Ginn will play a role, hill could too. And I still expect philly brown to step it up into a good speed receiver - not a #1 or 2 but the deep threat.

I hope we use our bevy of 5th level round picks to grab Clemmings. It would just be nice to get an OT with potential to groom. We need depth and he had a first round grade all over the place. Heck I wouldn't even mind taking a shot at Collins at this point. Maybe you can get him to sign. I know rookie contracts, but they redo contracts all the time. If he pans out and is completely clear, you do an extension, etc.

Problem is the Collins thing is too Carruth. While I'd love to see them grab him I just don't think they want anywhere near this controversy and its hard to blame them really. At this point I'd feel real good about a Clemminga pick.

They listened.

Williams is a good pick, almost certainly a RT but one who can start soon.

Well there's our OT. Gave up three more pics to get him.

OVERVIEW

First-team All-Big 12 in 2014, starting every game at right tackle. Started 12 games at right tackle and one at left tackle in 2013 en route to being selected second-team All-Big 12. Was Honorable Mention All-Big 12 as a sophomore in 2012, but missed final three games with MCL sprain in right knee. Was a four-star recruit by Scout and Rivals and graded out at 93 percent, with 38 pancakes and no sacks allowed.

PRO DAY RESULTS
Three-cone drill: 8.18 seconds

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS Physical at the point of attack. Comes off snap with bad intentions and rolls hips under him to drive defender off the ball. Tough guy who leads by example on the field. Works to the whistle and enjoys the one-on-one run-game scraps. Competes as a pass blocker. Sees and reacts well to twists. Has power in his hands. Buries defenders on down blocks. Outstanding football character and overall work ethic.

WEAKNESSES Below-average athleticism. Won't be much of a factor in getting back-side cut-off blocks against quick linebackers. Gets weight forward and will lose balance. Marginal lateral movement. Plodder. Shuffles and gallops to wide pass sets. Struggled against Baylor and rung up for three holding calls. Unable to smoothly change directions and redirect. Body control needs improvement.

DRAFT PROJECTION Round 5

BOTTOM LINE

Williams is a competitive player with all the football character you want and NFL power to match. When he gets defenders lined up in his sweet spot, he can drive them out of the play. Winning with guile and toughness over skill, Williams' lack of functional athleticism is a concern and might be a catalyst for a move inside to guard.

We traded up for a projected guard? 3 picks? Did we really need a guard and I missed it? Quite the head scratcher at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread