What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (1 Viewer)

The Panthers needed another WR, and they wanted Funchess. I don't see any big deal in moving up to get the guy they wanted. I think there is a good chance Funchess wouldn't have made it to them late in the second.

The Panthers needed another WR, and they wanted Funchess. I don't see any big deal in moving up to get the guy they wanted. I think there is a good chance Funchess wouldn't have made it to them late in the second.
Some talk that Clev was taking him at 43

I think there may have been a little panic in the war room coming up to get Funchess. It's reported that the Rams had 5 other teams on the phone and a bidding war ensued. Not saying all those teams wanted Funchess, but there were many teams wanting that spot for one player or another. The Panthers probably got caught up in it just a little bit.
Some evidence does point to at least some of those teams wanting Funchess. The trade came right after DGB came off the board, suggesting Funchess was probably the last of that tier of WRs. Secondly, of those 6 teams (including Carolina) trying to trade up, none of them moved up after Carolina did and selected Funchess. Perhaps that's erroneous, but I swear I read that somewhere.

Now maybe that means the other teams weren't willing to trade down after Carolina... or maybe that means Carolina guy the guy the others wanted.

I like the idea of less defensive subbing, it is a good counter to the hurry up as well as a coverage upgrade in general. But I don't feel so great about Thompson's run defense. So how is that deal gonna work?

I complained, yes, about the third. I am frustrated at the lack of a successful strategy to acquire a LOT. Nothing against Funchess per se, but his hands... I wanted a guy who catches everything to counter the drops we already have rather than add to the total. I do have a lot of respect for Proehl though. maybe it will be good.

I will have to look for what Funchess said about his coaching in college.
On Thompson, Telvin Smith was drafted by the Jags last year as a S/LB tweener and was said to be way too small to last as a LB in the NFL. After Poz got hurt last year, Smith went nuts. When they finally unleashed him in late November, he posted 64 total tackles in the final six games of the season. Smith was a little faster with a 4.52 40 and had a 31.5" vertical and a 119" broad jump at 6'3" 218lbs (which he's still listed as on the Jags website). Thompson is thicker at only 6'0" 228lbs, ran a tenth slower at 4.64, but had similar jumps with a 33.5" vertical and a 117" broad. Smith was a force on that Jags defense... I think Thompson could be the same for us.

As to Funchess, I saw somewhere he had a drop rate of 8.8% compared with the college average of 8.3% for last season... that's not so bad. Permian, who some wanted, had a 14.3% drop rate.... I'll say it again, in Proehl I trust when it comes to WRs.

I think there may have been a little panic in the war room coming up to get Funchess. It's reported that the Rams had 5 other teams on the phone and a bidding war ensued. Not saying all those teams wanted Funchess, but there were many teams wanting that spot for one player or another. The Panthers probably got caught up in it just a little bit.
Some evidence does point to at least some of those teams wanting Funchess. The trade came right after DGB came off the board, suggesting Funchess was probably the last of that tier of WRs. Secondly, of those 6 teams (including Carolina) trying to trade up, none of them moved up after Carolina did and selected Funchess. Perhaps that's erroneous, but I swear I read that somewhere.

Now maybe that means the other teams weren't willing to trade down after Carolina... or maybe that means Carolina guy the guy the others wanted.
Yup....just trying to go back over the "why" it took so much to move up. I have no problem trading up for him personally, but not knowing of the bidding war, it seemed like a good bit to give up. Now? Not so much...makes sense.

I understand the number of guys who were said to be qualified fwiw. I know, for another year, we weren't in great shape to get one. I got frustrated with the reality playing out.

But also, what I am getting out of this is that Gettleman is sold on Oher just like he was sold on Chandler/Bell last year. I do have small hope that he is possibly the blind squirrel finding a nut this time, I think it's a little better bet, but if he is wrong it will suck. And Gettleman's (admittedly short) track record on judging OL talent isn't confidence inspiring.

My point on the trade/giving up the 3rd is, we were willing to move up significantly to get another WR. The difference in moving up from 25 to say, 19 or 20, is roughly equivalent to going from 57 to 41 according to the value charts I have seen. I don't know that they tried to move for OT but have not heard any talk that they considered it. I would like for them to have at least made the attempt, show me it is important to them. More important than throwing projects and retreads at the problem. I can accept it not working out, if I know they are trying. What I saw, was them trying harder for a WR than for a LOT.

Funchess may turn out to be great, Shaq may be as well. I guess it boils down to I would rather have a great OL than two great WRs or three great LBs, even though really I would like all three.
They feel they got enough in Oher and Martin. Both of whom are upgeades over Bell.

If you didn't like what they had to give up to move up in the second it seems unlikely you'd be happy with what it took to move up in the first. Keep in mind we would have had to get ahead of NO to pick the last left tackle. What do you think the number 15 pick would have cost?
Why the 15th pick? The could have traded up to the 23rd to make sure they got ahead of AZ, who had been having OL troubles for years and Gordon/Gurley were gone.

I like the idea of less defensive subbing, it is a good counter to the hurry up as well as a coverage upgrade in general. But I don't feel so great about Thompson's run defense. So how is that deal gonna work?

I complained, yes, about the third. I am frustrated at the lack of a successful strategy to acquire a LOT. Nothing against Funchess per se, but his hands... I wanted a guy who catches everything to counter the drops we already have rather than add to the total. I do have a lot of respect for Proehl though. maybe it will be good.

I will have to look for what Funchess said about his coaching in college.
On Thompson, Telvin Smith was drafted by the Jags last year as a S/LB tweener and was said to be way too small to last as a LB in the NFL. After Poz got hurt last year, Smith went nuts. When they finally unleashed him in late November, he posted 64 total tackles in the final six games of the season. Smith was a little faster with a 4.52 40 and had a 31.5" vertical and a 119" broad jump at 6'3" 218lbs (which he's still listed as on the Jags website). Thompson is thicker at only 6'0" 228lbs, ran a tenth slower at 4.64, but had similar jumps with a 33.5" vertical and a 117" broad. Smith was a force on that Jags defense... I think Thompson could be the same for us.

As to Funchess, I saw somewhere he had a drop rate of 8.8% compared with the college average of 8.3% for last season... that's not so bad. Permian, who some wanted, had a 14.3% drop rate.... I'll say it again, in Proehl I trust when it comes to WRs.
Telvin Smith was a 5th round pick. Definitely easier to take that risk with a 5th rounder. I hope all the picks work out, but man you are really optimistic. Is your name Dave?

After Benjamin, I'm definitely willing to take the Panthers WR opinions as gold, so I'm good with Funchess and the trade up. We didn't need all of our picks, so get the guys we wanted. I just worry about seemingly ignoring the Tackle spot (I trust NCC when he says Williams has bad feet) again and knowing how badly it hurt us last year.

NCCommish said:
stratocatter said:
I understand the number of guys who were said to be qualified fwiw. I know, for another year, we weren't in great shape to get one. I got frustrated with the reality playing out.

But also, what I am getting out of this is that Gettleman is sold on Oher just like he was sold on Chandler/Bell last year. I do have small hope that he is possibly the blind squirrel finding a nut this time, I think it's a little better bet, but if he is wrong it will suck. And Gettleman's (admittedly short) track record on judging OL talent isn't confidence inspiring.

My point on the trade/giving up the 3rd is, we were willing to move up significantly to get another WR. The difference in moving up from 25 to say, 19 or 20, is roughly equivalent to going from 57 to 41 according to the value charts I have seen. I don't know that they tried to move for OT but have not heard any talk that they considered it. I would like for them to have at least made the attempt, show me it is important to them. More important than throwing projects and retreads at the problem. I can accept it not working out, if I know they are trying. What I saw, was them trying harder for a WR than for a LOT.

Funchess may turn out to be great, Shaq may be as well. I guess it boils down to I would rather have a great OL than two great WRs or three great LBs, even though really I would like all three.
They feel they got enough in Oher and Martin. Both of whom are upgeades over Bell.

If you didn't like what they had to give up to move up in the second it seems unlikely you'd be happy with what it took to move up in the first. Keep in mind we would have had to get ahead of NO to pick the last left tackle. What do you think the number 15 pick would have cost?
I never said anything about 15, never would have considered that. It would have cost far more than what we surrendered. I did say, 19, could have, theoretically, been had for what we gave up for Funchess. 20 for sure, in draft chart value world. Bengals took Ogbuehi at 21, so there were two guys we could have targeted. I like Ogbuehi myself, with Oher in the fold we were in good position to be patient too. I know i takes a partner and is easier said than done, I just wish I could feel like they were willing to go for that position to the extent they went for WR. It's an important position.

Funchess, I bet he turns out good. I have had a funny feeling he could be better than Benjamin even, when it's over with.

NCCommish said:
stratocatter said:

They feel they got enough in Oher and Martin. Both of whom are upgeades over Bell.If you didn't like what they had to give up to move up in the second it seems unlikely you'd be happy with what it took to move up in the first. Keep in mind we would have had to get ahead of NO to pick the last left tackle. What do you think the number 15 pick would have cost?
I never said anything about 15, never would have considered that. It would have cost far more than what we surrendered. I did say, 19, could have, theoretically, been had for what we gave up for Funchess. 20 for sure, in draft chart value world. Bengals took Ogbuehi at 21, so there were two guys we could have targeted. I like Ogbuehi myself, with Oher in the fold we were in good position to be patient too. I know i takes a partner and is easier said than done, I just wish I could feel like they were willing to go for that position to the extent they went for WR. It's an important position.Funchess, I bet he turns out good. I have had a funny feeling he could be better than Benjamin even, when it's over with.
Reason I choose 15 is because Peet was the last left tackle on the board, best feet of all of them as well. Everyone else is more likely an RT or G.I think Funchess is a little faster than Benjamin. Everyone talks about drops but guys with higher percentages were drafted earlier and praised highly. He was a touch worse than average and he was injured with a crap passing game. I love this as a second rounder and just hope Hill is what they claim this season. That would be an awesome top 3.

Last edited by a moderator:
There really weren't a lot of good LT prospects for sure. I heard Gil Brandt say Peat, largely considered to be the best prospect, got beat plenty last year and that he was still developing both physically and in play.

I don't think there was a magic bullet option at LT this year. Any guy that was taken would likely have endured growing pains. Debatable whether a rook would outperform Martin or Oher. Maybe so. But in general, its probably better that we didn't force a square peg into a round whole.

What we can hope for is we got two starters for the nucleus of the team.

I was a little miffed at the 1st round pick but that's because I didn't know much about the guy. But then, I'm not making six or seven figures for evaluating football players. I had seen pre draft what an athlete the guy was but I bet Getts and Rivera have a plan for how they'll use him.

And in the second, obviously, WR is a need because we have nothing to build around besides Benjamin. (Ideally you want Philly as a role player.)

I really like Getts as a GM so far. He seems to know well how this works. When he came in, this team was a mess and in bad cap shape. I think we're seeing a little more of the light at the end of the tunnel.

I still don't think Cam is an elite QB so I think it will take an elite D to help him if we are to have title hopes.

Another thing I heard was the Panthers saw 6 teams in front of them in Round 2 with WR needs so they targeted Funchess, a guy who fell in their estimation/evaluation.

Another thing I heard was the Panthers saw 6 teams in front of them in Round 2 with WR needs so they targeted Funchess, a guy who fell in their estimation/evaluation.
Yeah Gettleman went through the process in his presser. He said his NFL scouts told him there were 6 teams ahead of them who had needs at WR and they felt Funchess was a first rounder soo they made the move.

Yeah Gettleman went through the process in his presser. He said his NFL scouts told him there were 6 teams ahead of them who had needs at WR and they felt Funchess was a first rounder soo they made the move.
That and rumors were cleveland was taking Funchess at 43

I think one big misconception about the NFL is everyone is too honest. Agents/media folks like Schefter are in cahoots with teams and will exchange favors to help eachother. This is one reason why you see UDFAs signed basically before the draft even ends, teams and agents are trading favors during the draft. If there were 6 teams attempting to move into that spot the Panthers likely had very good information on where Funchess was going.

First-round pick Shaq Thompson tweaked his hamstring midway through the second session of minicamp and sat out the final hour of practice, which was mostly a scrimmage. Second-round pick Devin Funchess left the practice field on a cart minutes before the final horn with cramps in his left calf.

›‹
Thompson, a linebacker who will miss organized team activities in June as he continues schooling at the University of Washington, slipped on the turf and tweaked his hamstring.

“That was the biggest thing was he was losing quality reps,” Rivera said after the second session. “So yeah I am concerned about that.”
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article20546436.html#storylink=cpy
Well our second rounder isn't off to a good start. Tweaked his hammy and the will be in school until training camp. Our third rounder doesn't like the heat in May.

First-round pick Shaq Thompson tweaked his hamstring midway through the second session of minicamp and sat out the final hour of practice, which was mostly a scrimmage. Second-round pick Devin Funchess left the practice field on a cart minutes before the final horn with cramps in his left calf.

›‹
Thompson, a linebacker who will miss organized team activities in June as he continues schooling at the University of Washington, slipped on the turf and tweaked his hamstring.

“That was the biggest thing was he was losing quality reps,” Rivera said after the second session. “So yeah I am concerned about that.”
Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article20546436.html#storylink=cpy
Well our second rounder isn't off to a good start. Tweaked his hammy and the will be in school until training camp. Our third rounder doesn't like the heat in May.
I admit I did kindof shake my head after reading that this morning. You can go from growing up in heat to cold and get used to it but growing up in cold and moving to the heavy southern heat takes a while to adjust to. I think he will be fine though. He probably hasnt worked out hard in a while.

I wouldn't call cramps an injury. More part of learning to deal with the conditions. He was interviewed and said as much. And I'll take a tweaked hammy over a blown ACL on my first round pick.

Kind of early in the process to be this negative.

NCCommish said:
I wouldn't call cramps an injury. More part of learning to deal with the conditions. He was interviewed and said as much. And I'll take a tweaked hammy over a blown ACL on my first round pick.

It's kind of fun getting the natives restless this early. :ph34r:

NCCommish said:

It's kind of fun getting the natives restless this early. :ph34r:
I've been restless since last off season.

I like that DG showed some aggressiveness and went after "his" guys. Do I think it was an awesome draft....no. Am I happy with it....yes. From everything I read they stayed true to their board and that is exactly what I want. They have a process, trust it, and stick to it - that is large improvement from past regimes.

Can I get a local take on a few issues regarding the CAR running game for 2015?

- I have seen it suggested, "Stewart will start, but be limited to 15 touches per game." Is this accurate? I ask because his last for games he had 15, 26, 23, and 20 touches so I'm not sure if this is a change in policy?

- In the depth charts I have seen both Whittaker and Todman called the backup, while the other one will likely battle with Artis-Payne as the third string RB. Aren't these two just JAG-type runners? Is it considered a certainty that Artis-Payne couldn't be the #2 RB, or better yet if they above quote was true be part of a full fledged RBBC in CAR? With the Stewart injury history I just think Artis-Payne is being overlooked as a great deep sleeper.

I realize it's pretty early to get a clear picture but I was just curious what the locals thought on this situation.

- I have seen it suggested, "Stewart will start, but be limited to 15 touches per game." Is this accurate? I ask because his last for games he had 15, 26, 23, and 20 touches so I'm not sure if this is a change in policy?

- In the depth charts I have seen both Whittaker and Todman called the backup, while the other one will likely battle with Artis-Payne as the third string RB. Aren't these two just JAG-type runners? Is it considered a certainty that Artis-Payne couldn't be the #2 RB, or better yet if they above quote was true be part of a full fledged RBBC in CAR? With the Stewart injury history I just think Artis-Payne is being overlooked as a great deep sleeper.

I realize it's pretty early to get a clear picture but I was just curious what the locals thought on this situation.
I think Todman will probably be more of a special teams player. My guess is Stewart's touches will be dictated by how the game is going. Cam will take some carries, and Tolbert usually gets a couple. Rivera said he is excited to see Artis-Payne on the field spelling Stewart this year, so my guess is they are banking on him to win the backup job if not by the beginning of the season it will be later on. He will be competing with Fozzy. Don't be surprised if Stewart gets hurt to see Artis-Payne get the bulk of the carries if he is catching on, and doing well with blocking.

I think Todman will probably be more of a special teams player. My guess is Stewart's touches will be dictated by how the game is going. Cam will take some carries, and Tolbert usually gets a couple. Rivera said he is excited to see Artis-Payne on the field spelling Stewart this year, so my guess is they are banking on him to win the backup job if not by the beginning of the season it will be later on. He will be competing with Fozzy. Don't be surprised if Stewart gets hurt to see Artis-Payne get the bulk of the carries if he is catching on, and doing well with blocking.
Actually we have a guy on the team that set a single season record at Iowa and then set an NAIA record. Lots more competition than what is listed here.

And yes Stewart will get limited touches. 15 sounds about right.

Just for conversations sake some stats:

Josh Norman 2014 - 48 Tackles, 11 Passes Defended, 2 Int, 1 FF

Byron Maxwell 2014 - 39 Tackles, 12 Passes Defended, 2 int, 1 FF

Maxwell played one less game than Norman(13 to Norman's 14) but was the starter in two more than Norman(12 to Norman's !0) so snaps are probably slightly in Maxwell's favor or even.

Maxwell played one less game than Norman(13 to Norman's 14) but was the starter in two more than Norman(12 to Norman's !0) so snaps are probably slightly in Maxwell's favor or even.
632 for Norman, 700 for Maxwell on defense.

148 for Norman, 50 for Maxwell on special teams.

780 total snaps for Norman, 750 total snaps for Maxwell.

632 for Norman, 700 for Maxwell on defense.148 for Norman, 50 for Maxwell on special teams.

780 total snaps for Norman, 750 total snaps for Maxwell.
Yeah I forgot about ST snaps. I was really just thinking about defensive snaps. Thanks for the numbers.

What are you trying to compare? How much we'll have to pay Norman or how much of a bargain/overpaid they are?

What are you trying to compare? How much we'll have to pay Norman or how much of a bargain/overpaid they are?
Well I was mainly comparing the highly touted free agent to someone on our team that all the experts seem to diss on a regular basis.

Well I was mainly comparing the highly touted free agent to someone on our team that all the experts seem to diss on a regular basis.
Umm, isn't that a good thing, i.e. we can keep him cheaper since he is an UFA in 2016?

Umm, isn't that a good thing, i.e. we can keep him cheaper since he is an UFA in 2016?
I am guessing if he puts up those numbers again, and hopefully better numbers, he won't be cheap.

The vibe I got from those in the know on Funchess after the rookie camp was that he was nothing special. A chasm of difference between him and Benjamin.

Anyone hear any word about the guy we drafted in the first? Sorry I forgot his his name already

The vibe I got from those in the know on Funchess after the rookie camp was that he was nothing special. A chasm of difference between him and Benjamin.

Anyone hear any word about the guy we drafted in the first? Sorry I forgot his his name already
Yeah not sure who you heard from but he made some really nice catches and showed he could play all 3 positions. As for Shaq he looked good and was where he was supposed to be on plays. But its rookie camp its pretty meaningless.

Was reading some stuff on Big Play Bene. His stats were really good last year. Statistically he was our best DB. QB rating when throwing at him was 72% that is approaching Revis like coverage. I can't wait to see what he does with a healthy full year.

I was also impressed with Boston's numbers. 1 missed tackle and just 5 completions allowed on over 230 coverage snaps. That is pretty darn good. Boston could be streaky in college hope he can be consistent and continue to play at a high level. I have high hopes for our young secondary.

The Giants are kicking the tires on Jake Long. What's our cap look like? Should we be looking at him too?
IIRC has has finished the last couple of seasons on IR. Has struggled with various injuries for a while. They are looking at him more as a depth/mentor signing to back Flowers. Given how many teams need tackles the fact that only one has showed any serious interest in the former number 1 pick leads me to believe his health may still be suspect.

Thompson was somewhat of a polarizing, divisive prospect in the scouting community (is he a LB, a safety, a player without a position?). Yet some (like Frank Coyle) do think he has All-Pro ability and potential. At LB. A key trait or attribute that cuts across all positions on both sides of the ball is instincts, I think that is one thing that separates him, and will make him a rare and special talent at the next level (though it may take some development). Incidentally, Coyle's comp was undersized All-Pro, Lavonte David (about 1" taller and 5 lbs. heavier than Shaq's listed height/weight of 6'0", 228 lbs.).

Scouting Shaq By Max Henson 5-6-15

http://www.panthers.com/news/article-2/Scouting-Shaq/cea6417f-f376-47e7-bca1-03eabed3287d

CHARLOTTE – Do you think the Panthers will draft a linebacker in the first round?

If you asked linebackers coach Al Holcomb that question prior to the NFL Scouting Combine, his answer would have been, "Not likely."

Boasting one of the best linebacker duos in the NFL in Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis, you could understand why.

But after the combine, the chances got increasingly more likely as Washington linebacker Shaq Thompson emerged as a target.

Fast forward to April 30 – Day One of the NFL Draft. The Panthers have submitted their choice for the 25th overall selection in the first round, and Holcomb is staring anxiously at the television in the team's draft room.

Davis, the NFL Man of the Year and a team captain, took the stage to announce it to the world.

"With the 25th pick in the 2015 NFL Draft," Davis said, "the Carolina Panthers select Shaq Thompson, linebacker, Washington."

Holcomb smiled and nodded, struggling to stand still. You could see the excitement in his face.

"I love the guys that I coach," Holcomb said, recalling the moment. "And part of my reaction was seeing Thomas announce the pick. It's just my love for those guys and the relationship that we have. I was thinking about how special those three guys (Luke, Thomas and Shaq) could be together, seeing Thomas up there and then actually getting a linebacker in the first round. All of that was going through my mind."

How did Carolina arrive at Thompson with the 25th pick? It was a long process that involved many people, but Holcomb was a central figure. He evaluated Thompson at the combine, during a pre-draft visit at Bank of America Stadium and during a private workout at the University of Washington.

CHARLOTTE VISIT

Holcomb first met Thompson during a one-on-one interview at the combine in Indianapolis in February. It was brief – 15 minutes are allotted for each player interview.

Eager to learn more, the Panthers brought Thompson to Charlotte on March 17.

"When we bring a prospect in-house, we are cross-checking the things we already know. Kind of dotting the I's and crossing the T's," Holcomb said. "But we're also trying to get to know the player a little better and see how he fits in our environment.

"What's his demeanor? And it gives everyone in the building an opportunity to shake hands and pass the eyeball test."

The visit includes a lot more than eyeball tests. Thompson's football IQ was tested thoroughly.

After taking care of the meet-and-greets, Thompson attended a defensive staff meeting, where the coaches were watching cut-ups of the Carolina defense from last season. Thompson then spent time in the classroom with Holcomb, and later, defensive coordinator Sean McDermott.

"It involves watching our defense on video, it involves him making some calls, it involves a little (written) test to see how much he can retain," Holcomb explained. "How much can he regurgitate and what kind of questions is he asking?"

The objective of this pre-draft visit was to get a sense of Thompson's personality and his football knowledge. How did he do?

"He's an A-plus," Holcomb said. "He has the right demeanor. He's hungry. Someone who can be counted on, someone you can trust."

WASHINGTON WORKOUT

Holcomb flew to Seattle for a private work out with Thompson on April 14. As the guest, Holcomb asked that Thompson make sure a few things were in order before he arrived – another test of sorts.

Thompson was asked to double check with the UW staff to make sure someone would be available to tape the workout. He also needed to ensure there would be equipment available for them to use on the field.

And there was one more request from Holcomb: Top Pot doughnuts.

When the Panthers traveled to Seattle to play the Seahawks in last season's NFC Divisional Playoff, the rookies brought Top Pot doughnuts to the team hotel. Holcomb was a fan.

"So I told Shaq to get me a Top Pot when I get out there. I showed up at the school and of course he walked in with the doughnuts. He came through," Holcomb laughed. "I said, 'This guy is going to be great.'"

The true highlight of Holcomb's day, however, came once Thompson took the field.

After a morning film session where Thompson explained the concepts of the UW defense, Holcomb put the linebacker through a series of drills at Husky Stadium.

"I'm looking at how he takes coaching and instruction," Holcomb said. "I look at hand-eye coordination, ball skills, how he moves his feet, how he flips his hips, how he tracks the ball, how he diagnoses – as much information as I can get."

One moment in particular gave Holcomb all the information he really needed, and it was the first thing he told director of college scouting Don Gregory when he returned to Charlotte.

"When Shaq stands in front of you and he moves when you are in close proximity, you can feel how explosive he is," Holcomb said. "At that point, I said to myself, 'Wow, this guy is special.'

"He can do all the things that we are going to ask him to do. He has great burst, he's smart, he can change direction on a dime. When I saw that face to face, I just said, 'Wow.'"

ADJUSTING TO THE NFL

When head coach Ron Rivera called Thompson on draft night to deliver the good news, the newest Panther had a message for Holcomb.

"Tell Coach Holcomb I got his Top Pots ready."

He knows how to make his position coach happy, and in more ways than doughnut deliveries. Thompson is a special athlete, a playmaker who can deliver crushing blows and cover athletes in space.

But there is much to learn as he transitions from the Pac-12 to the NFL.

"He has to learn our system and our language first. When he learns how to line up and he can do it efficiently, then he can focus more on playing with technique," Holcomb said. "He has to understand what his 1/11th in our defense is before he can execute anything.

"Once he learns that, he needs to adapt his skills to the style of the NFL game. Every year, college offenses are going more and more horizontal. The NFL does it, too, but the NFL is also a vertical game and a downhill run type game. We need to get him accustomed to seeing those concepts."

When asked where he needs to improve at his introductory press conference, Thompson said "shedding blocks." That didn't surprise Holcomb.

"When I go to the combine, 90 percent of the guys I talk to, that's their answer," Holcomb said. "Shedding blocks and using my hands. In college if they are really good and really fast, they can just beat a guy to the spot and make a play. You can't fault them for that, and it happens in the NFL.

"But we are going up against 330-pound offensive guards and tackles, and we have to be able to use our hands in order to survive and have a chance for a stalemate or to win that battle."

Some analysts have suggested this could be a problem for Thompson, who is listed at 6-foot and 228 pounds. Holcomb doesn't see it that way.

"I don't see there being any problem with him using his hands more consistently. It's something that needs to be drilled," Holcomb said. "People associate a bigger player with being more capable of getting off blocks. That's not always the case. The arm length is critical for me."

And Thompson has ideal arm length – 33 inches to be exact.

Some look at Thompson's height and weight and say he doesn't have the physical traits to shed blocks. In reality, he has a physical trait that makes him more apt to shed blocks once he develops the proper technique.

"Guys with long arms can extend and create separation between them and the offensive player," Holcomb said. "Shaq's got the arm length of someone that is 6-4. I'll take that any day of the week."

The Panthers will plug Thompson in as an outside linebacker opposite Davis and let him learn and develop. And with his athletic gifts, Holcomb is as excited as anyone to see how it all comes together.

"It's not too big for him," Holcomb said. "There's a learning curve transitioning to the pro game, and he's got to take it up another notch. But he's still ascending as a player. He can be something special."

Last edited by a moderator:
Stephen hill had a good practice. Maybe commish is on to something here.
If Hill can put it all together he could be a monster. A guy his size running a 4.3 40 is almost unfair.
If things are really going as we are hearing, Bersin is for sure on the outside looking in and Brown might be as well.
Brown had several big catches this week. He has better hands than Ginn though that is a low bar. I think Brown sticks. I think we have Benjamin, Funchess, Hill, Ginn, Brown and Cotchery this season. I know they usually only go with 5 but I think it makes sense to carry 6 this year.

Users who are viewing this thread