What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (1 Viewer)

I'm hearing Artis-Payne was a "scheme/fit" pick. How often was Cam in Shotgun last year? And how did Stewart look running from Shotgun?

Supposedly Artis-Payne fits the way the Panthers want to run the ball from the shotty. This might move him up from pure backup to a 30-40% share of backfield duties based on shotgun usage and Stewart's effectiveness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hearing Artis-Payne was a "scheme/fit" pick. How often was Cam in Shotgun last year? And how did Stewart look running from Shotgun?

Supposedly Artis-Payne fits the way the Panthers want to run the ball from the shotty. This might move him up from pure backup to a 30-40% share of backfield duties based on shotgun usage and Stewart's effectiveness.
From a fantasy perspective, if you have a deep roster he may be a guy that can contribute down the stretch if/when Stewart goes down.

Personally, all things considered, I think the Panthers are going to have one of the best offenses in the league this year. I am really high on Cam and KB. Olsen is Olsen and the defense should be top notch again this season.

Cam has headed to Australia. Part of his deal with Gatorade. Looks like he is being treated well by everyone. Took in a Rugby matçh. Took a lot of photos with fans. As always when out with fans Cam seems to be genuinely enjoying himself.

Well at least our guys aren't blowing themselves up. I feel bad for the guys on one level but on another I can't help but think "what an idiot". It's going to be a long hot summer. I hope our guys keep staying out of trouble. I have the feeling the head shaking moments will continue.

Apparently some talking heads picked us to finish dead last in our division. I don't see it unless we go through a bunch of injuries. In fact I think we are more likely to 3 peat than to finish dead last.

Apparently some talking heads picked us to finish dead last in our division. I don't see it unless we go through a bunch of injuries. In fact I think we are more likely to 3 peat than to finish dead last.
That's pretty funny. I just a search on NFL odds and while NO and Atlanta were close, the sports books have Carolina as the favorite and Tampa way below.

I can easily see Atlanta, they've had a lot of injuries (2 years ago Julio missed half the season) and were very close and NO is similar, i.e. close last year and have been to the playoffs recently. Tampa is just dumb to pick over the Carolina. In the futures, they are in the Oakland/Washington tier just below Cleveland. To pick them over a team that has won the last two even with all the issues last year (Cam's health, brand new OL after all the retirements, etc.). Picking Tampa would be similar to picking Washington over Dallas. Dallas doesn't do anything in the playoffs, but they'll do better than the Washington.

Riverboat got invited to play in a big celebrity golf tournament next week. His odds to win are 75 to 1. Charles Barkley is 300 to 1 for comparison.

That's pretty funny. I just a search on NFL odds and while NO and Atlanta were close, the sports books have Carolina as the favorite and Tampa way below.I can easily see Atlanta, they've had a lot of injuries (2 years ago Julio missed half the season) and were very close and NO is similar, i.e. close last year and have been to the playoffs recently. Tampa is just dumb to pick over the Carolina. In the futures, they are in the Oakland/Washington tier just below Cleveland. To pick them over a team that has won the last two even with all the issues last year (Cam's health, brand new OL after all the retirements, etc.). Picking Tampa would be similar to picking Washington over Dallas. Dallas doesn't do anything in the playoffs, but they'll do better than the Washington.
I think Brees is near the end and I think it will be more evident this season. I think Atlanta is our biggest worry. Shanahan has made an awful lot of average RBs look good and Matt with a real running game could be pretty good. I think Tampa is real close but at least 1 maybe 2 seasons away.

With the Hardy issue finished the Panthers are now eligible for a compensatory pick. Since he got more than 8 million from Dallas I believe that means we get a 3rd rounder next draft.

So it looks like Fox is moving on. Got his Charlotte mansion up for sale. Could be yours if you got 7 million to spare.

Cam took a few snaps at wideout in a charity flag football game. Made a ten yard reception on a sideline out pattern.. Spent most of his time coaching though. Apparently some people were upset by this.

Cam took a few snaps at wideout in a charity flag football game. Made a ten yard reception on a sideline out pattern.. Spent most of his time coaching though. Apparently some people were upset by this.
I know its a rare extreme case but Robert Edwards comes immediately to mind here.

I know its not a big deal but I would prefer my 100 million dollar franchise qb not be doing anything to nutty outside of practicing and training.

I know its a rare extreme case but Robert Edwards comes immediately to mind here.

I know its not a big deal but I would prefer my 100 million dollar franchise qb not be doing anything to nutty outside of practicing and training.
You mean like driving to practice on a public road?

So Cam has moved up on ESPNs list to a second tier QB. That seems fair given the Tiers:

The criteria for determining the tiers were this:

• Tier 1 quarterbacks can carry their teams week after week and contend for championships without as much help.
  • Tier 2 QBs are less consistent and need more help, but good enough to figure prominently into a championship equation.
  • Tier 3 are quarterbacks who are good enough to start but need lots of support, making it tougher to contend at the highest level.
  • Tier 4 is typically reserved for unproven starters or those who might not be expected to last in the lineup all season. Voters used the fifth tier sparingly.

Rumor mill saying the Panthers are trying to extend Luke before the season. They do have the room. SportTrac's prediction is 69 million over 6 years with 27 million guaranteed with an average annual of 11.8 million. Also if we do this contract this year we could be done with dead money by 2019 with a little contract finesse.

Now if they get this done and Norman starts hot do they try to get him locked up before he gets entirely too expensive? We have the cap room to give him a deal comparable to Maxwell's although I think Maxwell got overpaid. I think Norman may actually have the higher ceiling between them.

So Cam has moved up on ESPNs list to a second tier QB. That seems fair given the Tiers:

• Tier 1 quarterbacks can carry their teams week after week and contend for championships without as much help.
  • Tier 2 QBs are less consistent and need more help, but good enough to figure prominently into a championship equation.
  • Tier 3 are quarterbacks who are good enough to start but need lots of support, making it tougher to contend at the highest level.
  • Tier 4 is typically reserved for unproven starters or those who might not be expected to last in the lineup all season. Voters used the fifth tier sparingly.
This seems like an odd way to tier with pretty subjective differentiation in tier 2 & 3.

Rumor mill saying the Panthers are trying to extend Luke before the season. They do have the room. SportTrac's prediction is 69 million over 6 years with 27 million guaranteed with an average annual of 11.8 million. Also if we do this contract this year we could be done with dead money by 2019 with a little contract finesse.

Now if they get this done and Norman starts hot do they try to get him locked up before he gets entirely too expensive? We have the cap room to give him a deal comparable to Maxwell's although I think Maxwell got overpaid. I think Norman may actually have the higher ceiling between them.
If they somehow sign Luke this offseason for that then DG should get a statue at bank of america stadium. Signing the two cornerstones of the franchise with out breaking the bank would be impressive as hell.

If they somehow sign Luke this offseason for that then DG should get a statue at bank of america stadium. Signing the two cornerstones of the franchise with out breaking the bank would be impressive as hell.
It would be. Luckily ILB is a bit undervalued although Luke has seriously outperformed all the comps they had.

This seems like an odd way to tier with pretty subjective differentiation in tier 2 & 3.
It is but this is dead time stuff so just something to ponder for fun.

If DG was able to pull this off, I'd be hard pressed to question him ever again. :oldunsure:

If DG was able to pull this off, I'd be hard pressed to question him ever again. :oldunsure:
Yeah that would be some elite ninja GM stuff there. But this is why they played hardball early to set up this kind of opportunity. I haven't liked all of the journey but the pay off could be huge.

Kelvin ran his first football camp here in Charlotte this week. Says his weight is fine and he expects to be 100% for camp.

Kelvin ran his first football camp here in Charlotte this week. Says his weight is fine and he expects to be 100% for camp.
I have to think that a 24 year old professional athlete can drop 10 pounds rather quickly with proper guidance and work out structure. I would say in the 2-3 week range.

I have to think that a 24 year old professional athlete can drop 10 pounds rather quickly with proper guidance and work out structure. I would say in the 2-3 week range.
Well according to reports Kelvin has changed his diet and his workout routine this offseason to make sure he doesn't hit the wall this season. I think the weight thing was exaggerated because it was at least something to report.

So I am planning on going to training camp Saturday August 1st. Practice is 3-5 pm. Also lots of activities that day for the kids. Let me know if anyone would be up for meeting up there.

NCCommish said:
Martin retired due to a back injury he sustained this off season. Depth takes a hit.
Funny, I was about to find this thread to see how the new OL were doing. I am not sure this hurts us too much. It would have been nice if it worked out, but he was a backup at best. You are correct that there isn't much behind Oher at LT, so that needs to be remedied. How's Oher doing?

NCCommish said:
Martin retired due to a back injury he sustained this off season. Depth takes a hit.
Funny, I was about to find this thread to see how the new OL were doing. I am not sure this hurts us too much. It would have been nice if it worked out, but he was a backup at best. You are correct that there isn't much behind Oher at LT, so that needs to be remedied. How's Oher doing?
If he was ever going to play as LT, Car was in big trouble. He's not a LT. He could be a starting G or maybe RT. LT is just out of his comfort zone. The fact that he was even listed there as a backup was bad. Good for him on a personal level. He didn't seem to have his heart in football anyway.

NCCommish said:
We won't really know where Oher is until camp. But he did draw good reviews during OTAs.

NCCommish said:
We won't really know where Oher is until camp. But he did draw good reviews during OTAs.
Having a LT that plays well all year could be a huge impact on the team. I'm looking forward to this year and fingers crossed we stay healthy. I think we could be really good this year, a lot better than most people think.

NCCommish said:
Having a LT that plays well all year could be a huge impact on the team. I'm looking forward to this year and fingers crossed we stay healthy. I think we could be really good this year, a lot better than most people think.
Cam.has set some.lofty goals for himself lf he gets to them we will 3 peat.

Ron Rivera's brother passed. He had been fighting.pancreatic cancer for 2 years. He was 56. Ron will be attending his funeral Saturday and Sunday.

Screw cancer and my condolences to the Rivera family.

While the Hill thing sucks there is some good news. Here are some camp reports from various blogs including BBR and Cat Scratch Reader.

If everyone is to be believed Kelvin looks phenomenal. Just dominating DBs

Ginn has made some very good catches drawing cheers for a deep touchdown.

Oher has looked good against all comers so far. That is very good news.

Gano is booming the ball.

Our rookie tackle Williams looked a bit raw but still looked pretty good overall.

Seems like Funchess looked a bit like a rookie getting a ball knocked out of his hands.

And Brockel had a bad day dropping 3 passes.

If anyone is up for it it looks like I will be at camp on Sunday the 9th. If you want to meet up lets do it.

Early reports from today have Frank Alexander winning the battle against Oher. But we only need Oher to be average, we need Alexander to be good. So I'm taking that as a positive report.

Users who are viewing this thread