What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (3 Viewers)

Do the Panthers give Reggie Wayne a call?

Maybe trade with the Giants who are pretty deep at WR and have a relationship with Gettlemen (sp) ?
That would be great. Why is he still a FA anyway?

Don't see a big trade going down, doesn't seem to fit the Panthers mo.
I wasn't thinking big trade (Beckham, Cruz or Randle) I was think someone like Corey Washington or James Jones

BassNBrew said:
Actually this isn't a huge concern for me. While he's a good player, I think Funchess can potentially fill his role.
Wishful thinking? They're in pretty much the same spot as last year now, except I personally have no faith in Funchess. Hopeful sure, but I was looking forward to KB developing.

Olsen is gonna be busy.
I have some faith in Funchess, but as the #2 guy who develops. This is a huge concern to me. KB was getting raves at this point last year that Funchess isn't and it seemed like KB was taken another step this year. KB this year >>>>>>>>> Funchess this year, which is unfortunate because the team had serious potential. Losing KB is big.

Huge loss, for sure. Perhaps a silver lining could be that it puts Funchess on the field in a bigger role right off the bat (much like KB last season). With KB on the field, Funchess is still in more of a planned development role. Now, he has the opportunity to step up and be the man (or one of them) in this offense. Maybe he'll develop quicker and next year they'll both be on the field with WR1 and WR2 experience.

Huge loss, for sure. Perhaps a silver lining could be that it puts Funchess on the field in a bigger role right off the bat (much like KB last season). With KB on the field, Funchess is still in more of a planned development role. Now, he has the opportunity to step up and be the man (or one of them) in this offense. Maybe he'll develop quicker and next year they'll both be on the field with WR1 and WR2 experience.
I agree that losing KB should give Funchess more opportunity to blossom as a rookie. I expect Corey (Philly) Brown to take a leap forward. Ginn is still fast and has good chemistry with Cam, and Cotchery is still a reliable possession receiver. We also have Boykin, Bersin, and Byrd right now. Olsen is always good, and the RBs can catch. Losing KB certainly is a dagger, but it isn't all doom and gloom. Cam will have the opportunity to build a stronger rapport with the others, and it will just make the team better in the long run.

I agree that losing KB should give Funchess more opportunity to blossom as a rookie. I expect Corey (Philly) Brown to take a leap forward. Ginn is still fast and has good chemistry with Cam, and Cotchery is still a reliable possession receiver. We also have Boykin, Bersin, and Byrd right now. Olsen is always good, and the RBs can catch. Losing KB certainly is a dagger, but it isn't all doom and gloom. Cam will have the opportunity to build a stronger rapport with the others, and it will just make the team better in the long run.
maybe, but Stew hasn't done all that well since 2011.

Long run, I agree, it will give Brown and Funchess more time to develop, learn and get better. It definitely helped KB. Problem is that doesn't help us this year. I was really optimistic having a healthy Cam and a healthy JStew to start the year. Then Star went down (not even sure what his status is, but seemed more like maybe a couple weeks missed type thing at worst) and KB going down is huge. He is so far in front of all the other WRs.

ETA: If KB works his ### off and is healthy for next year's pre-season, it does make us better next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
BassNBrew said:
Actually this isn't a huge concern for me. While he's a good player, I think Funchess can potentially fill his role.
I think so too, but aren't two of these guys a LOT better than one? Its very concerning, its not like Funchess was going to ride the bench while Benjamin played.
Yes we would be better with both, but I didn't expect to see both on the field that often. Thought Funchess would be behind Philly Brown.

One player you Panther fans might end up getting is Pierre Garcon perhaps? Washington has DeSean and Andre Roberts starting in their 3-WR sets with Garcon and then youngsters, Jamison Crowder and Ryan Grant, who I think is a legit player, PLUS Garcon makes about $4-$5 mill a season. Redskins could be one of the worse teams in the league this year so dumping some salary would be a smart move, for both teams. Skins will protect whomever their QB is going to be by running the rock a lot so why not move Garcon for a mid-low draft pick.

As for other WR's who might be free due to camp cuts, Patterson on my Vikings will be kept, sorry, but perhaps someone on the Pack, like Jeff Janis who's been struggling in camp this year or Jared Abbrederis, who is buried in the depth charts could be available for a mid-round pick. Maybe someone like Aaron Dobson on Patsy's could be available. A change in scenery would probably do him well....also maybe a Stedman Bailey or Chris Givens on the Rams?

One player you Panther fans might end up getting is Pierre Garcon perhaps? Washington has DeSean and Andre Roberts starting in their 3-WR sets with Garcon and then youngsters, Jamison Crowder and Ryan Grant, who I think is a legit player, PLUS Garcon makes about $4-$5 mill a season. Redskins could be one of the worse teams in the league this year so dumping some salary would be a smart move, for both teams. Skins will protect whomever their QB is going to be by running the rock a lot so why not move Garcon for a mid-low draft pick.

As for other WR's who might be free due to camp cuts, Patterson on my Vikings will be kept, sorry, but perhaps someone on the Pack, like Jeff Janis who's been struggling in camp this year or Jared Abbrederis, who is buried in the depth charts could be available for a mid-round pick. Maybe someone like Aaron Dobson on Patsy's could be available. A change in scenery would probably do him well....also maybe a Stedman Bailey or Chris Givens on the Rams?
We aren't trading a draft pick for anyone. We were debating keeping a 7th WR rostered before the KB injury.

Yeah I don't see a trade happening... Potentially signing someone after cuts like they did with Hill last year, but the odds of that person coming in, learning the offense, breaking through, and actually seeing the field are extremely slim.

It's Funchess, Philly Brown, Ginn, the ghost of Jerricho Cotchery, and a whole lot of opportunity for someone to step into. Maybe that's Boykin. Maybe it's Mike Brown, maybe someone else. My fear is we're headed for a group of smurfs next to Funchess and Olsen...

Raider Nation said:
Frank Alexander is out for the year. Torn achilles. :(
WTF. I was hoping it was an ankle when I watched the game, but didn't check into it. Starting to look like this year is one of those get ready for next year. Alexander isn't as key as KB, but without KB the defense would have to carry this team, so any loss there is going to hurt.

Yeah I don't see a trade happening... Potentially signing someone after cuts like they did with Hill last year, but the odds of that person coming in, learning the offense, breaking through, and actually seeing the field are extremely slim.

It's Funchess, Philly Brown, Ginn, the ghost of Jerricho Cotchery, and a whole lot of opportunity for someone to step into. Maybe that's Boykin. Maybe it's Mike Brown, maybe someone else. My fear is we're headed for a group of smurfs next to Funchess and Olsen...
Watching Brown not be able to come down with that first pass at the sideline and then dropping his next pass makes me real worried. KB has the height to not have to jump (Brown had no chance to jump and come down in bounds). Also, while KB had drops last season, he seemed to have improved that. Brown has no chance IMHO to replace KB based on those two plays.

That said, I don't see a trade either. I think Funchess is just going to have to step up because I think he is the only guy who has the ability to replace KB this year. He won't be what KB was going to be year 2, but Brown clearly didn't look like he could.

Every player that goes down is a blow. That said, I'm not super worried about the Alexander loss. Ealy has looked good IMO and will fill in nicely. Depth now becomes a problem. Also, Norman stepping up at CB is a huge plus. He looks like a Pro Bowl caliber player. Thompson is looking pretty solid as well. The athleticism is pretty clear. He covers the field well.

I think the D will still be a very strong unit.

As for the offense, ugh. It looks scary right now. The bright spot is Artis-Payne. We still dont know what Funchess really is. Cam is still erratic throwing the ball. Olsen isn't going to be able to carry the passing game alone so someone better step up. Gin could be a sleeper. He looks decent again, also looked decent a few years ago before leaving.

We aren't trading a draft pick for anyone. We were debating keeping a 7th WR rostered before the KB injury.
Didn't realize you guys were in charge. lol I'd think you need more than just the current top 6 WR's on the current team. They are all a bunch of #3 and #4 WR types. Sure someone can blossom from this group but I'd think Garcon, like I said, will be available.

I'd imagine Car kicks the tires on a guy like Wayne well before thinking about a trade.

I agree a trade is very unlikely.

Every player that goes down is a blow. That said, I'm not super worried about the Alexander loss. Ealy has looked good IMO and will fill in nicely. Depth now becomes a problem. Also, Norman stepping up at CB is a huge plus. He looks like a Pro Bowl caliber player. Thompson is looking pretty solid as well. The athleticism is pretty clear. He covers the field well.

As for the offense, ugh. It looks scary right now. The bright spot is Artis-Payne. We still dont know what Funchess really is. Cam is still erratic throwing the ball. Olsen isn't going to be able to carry the passing game alone so someone better step up. Gin could be a sleeper. He looks decent again, also looked decent a few years ago before leaving.
I agree with you. My worry is that any more depth we lose and the defense won't be able to carry this team. Alexander is replaceable if the offense is doing its job. Cam will be erratic and was 4-10, but with KB, the first two passes to Brown are caught. That second one was a nice throw to a wide open Brown for a first down and instead of a decent start, it was have to punt.

Oh well, so much for feeling good that we were healthy going into training camp.

I agree with you. My worry is that any more depth we lose and the defense won't be able to carry this team. Alexander is replaceable if the offense is doing its job. Cam will be erratic and was 4-10, but with KB, the first two passes to Brown are caught. That second one was a nice throw to a wide open Brown for a first down and instead of a decent start, it was have to punt.

Oh well, so much for feeling good that we were healthy going into training camp.
That throw to Corey in the end zone hit Corey right in the chest. It looked like the defender that was all over him was going to knock it down, but the defender missed the ball and Corey could/should have caught it for a TD. I think he had the jitters.

8-8. Over under?
Too close to call for me... Right where I'd put the line... Not sure I'd bet the over on 7-9 either. That DL is very thin, the OL never had much depth, and the offense is in very dangerous territory in terms of being one dimensional.

I personally think Shula is fine as an OC when the game plan is pretty straightforward and the ingredients are all laid out in front of him. I'm not confident he can improvise with whatever he happens to be given (like a Gailey-type that seems to always Macgyver his offense into being productive). That's what makes me most nervous... Lack of depth, lack of a legit passing game threat next to Olsen, questionable OC.

My 2 cents.

That throw to Corey in the end zone hit Corey right in the chest. It looked like the defender that was all over him was going to knock it down, but the defender missed the ball and Corey could/should have caught it for a TD. I think he had the jitters.
I didn't even see that much of the game, I was talking about the first drive. I only got to see the first drop/not being able to come down in bounds and of course Alexander getting hurt. That's even more disconcerting that he dropped another easy one.

Well my positive take away from the game was that against a very good DL the first string OL held it's own. No sacks as I recall. I am worried about Kalil getting injured it seemed pretty minor according to Gross hopefully he is correct. I think we have the makings of a bit better than average O-line on the field. I think our young guards are outstanding. Kalil is one of the best. Remmers has managed to keep the draft pick in second so far. And Oher looks so much better than anyone who played over there last year. Low bar perhaps but still he isn't playing like he'll be ranked with the worst in the league.

Time for some youngsters to step up. Ealy needs to get to it he has all the tools to own that spot but he has to get more consistent. I was hoping Funchess could ease in but that's over. He is going to have to come in and produce. We have some talent but we need him to really take up as much Kelvin slack as possible at least as it looks right now. No reason to bail on the team yet but it is starting to get a bit dicey.

Does Brandon Wegher make this team? I don't see how he couldn't. Guy is electric with the ball in space to run. But I'm afraid, just like K. Barner, Shula won't know how to use him. Barner goes to Chip Kelly and is a budding star. Wegher seems like he could be Sproells like if used correctly. At least a more talented Danny Woodhead.

Did Funchess even play in the game Saturday? Didn't see him.

Does Brandon Wegher make this team? I don't see how he couldn't. Guy is electric with the ball in space to run. But I'm afraid, just like K. Barner, Shula won't know how to use him. Barner goes to Chip Kelly and is a budding star. Wegher seems like he could be Sproells like if used correctly. At least a more talented Danny Woodhead.

Wegher isn't tiny like those guys - he's 5'10" 215lbs. I don't see any way they can keep him if he doesn't make the 53... he'll be scarfed up on waivers by someone.

ESPN seems to think he's starting to play Fozzy off the roster.

JFS171 said:
Jayrok said:

Wegher isn't tiny like those guys - he's 5'10" 215lbs. I don't see any way they can keep him if he doesn't make the 53... he'll be scarfed up on waivers by someone.

I didn't realize he was 5'10. Still, I hope he makes the team and they don't try to sign him to the practice squad. I'm sure he'll be grabbed up off waivers by some team. I know Bersin isn't an RB, but as far as roster spots go, I'd rather keep Wegher as a 4th RB (since we know Stewart will probably miss half the season) than Bersin as a WR.

And what about Webb? Will they keep 3 QBs? He is a football player. Make him a WR

Jayrok said:

Pretty sure Funchess is still gimpy, so I think they held him out.

That said, if we had a guy like Sproles/Woodhead, that would really be a nice option to help with KB being out. As you said, I don't recall us ever having a 3rd down back who was almost exclusively a receiver the past few years. I don't know if that is based on personnel or offense. I do agree that having someone like Sproles built in to the offense would help. Sproles (ignoring all other NO RBs) averaged almost 80 receptions per year or 5 per game as did Thomas last year. Our RBs had around 50 total in 2014. Shula isn't Payton, but we could use a receiving RB to cushion the loss of KB.

I didn't even see that much of the game, I was talking about the first drive. I only got to see the first drop/not being able to come down in bounds and of course Alexander getting hurt. That's even more disconcerting that he dropped another easy one.
I know you were talking about the first drive. I was talking about another drop, although it wasn't an easy catch. The defender was in front of him, and his vision was partially obstructed. It could have been intercepted, but it went through the defenders hands and hit corey in the chest.

Jayrok said:

That said, if we had a guy like Sproles/Woodhead, that would really be a nice option to help with KB being out. As you said, I don't recall us ever having a 3rd down back who was almost exclusively a receiver the past few years. I don't know if that is based on personnel or offense. I do agree that having someone like Sproles built in to the offense would help. Sproles (ignoring all other NO RBs) averaged almost 80 receptions per year or 5 per game as did Thomas last year. Our RBs had around 50 total in 2014. Shula isn't Payton, but we could use a receiving RB to cushion the loss of KB.
Tolbert is more than capable of catching the ball. He has great hands, and he may not have the speed of Sproles, but he can mow people over and get yards after the catch. In 2011, he had 50+ catches with the Chargers.

I honestly like Wegher a ton. My father-in-law is an Iowa grad and a huge fan... I distinctly remember Wegher blowing up as a Freshman at Iowa before off-field stuff sidelined his career -- over 100 yards and a TD against GT in the Orange Bowl. Bounced around to a couple of different programs before landing at Morningside. Go read this and tell me you're not rooting for him...

Gil Brandt gave some of his pro-day results in this article (I've added where his results would've ranked at the combine in parentheses):

5' 10 3/8" - 213lbs

40 - 4.50 (4th among RBs)

Bench - 23 reps (8th among RBs)

Vertical - 37" (7th among RBs)

Broad - 118" (14th among RBs)

3-Cone - 7.18 (~15th among RBs - Karlos Williams 14th with a 7.16)

He's no slouch...

Jayrok said:

Tolbert is more than capable of catching the ball. He has great hands, and he may not have the speed of Sproles, but he can mow people over and get yards after the catch. In 2011, he had 50+ catches with the Chargers.
Good point. He obviously isn't Sproles, but I think he will help. I just think a spark plug type of guy would help more than Tolbert. Tolbert isn't going to worry the DCs. Sure, he can catch and make a first down, but I think someone more Sproles like in quickness can be more of a passing weapon keep the defense at bay a bit more instead of more of a safety valve. I'm more worried that Olsen will be viewed as the only legit passing threat and Ds will be able to force Cam to beat them by throwing to Brown/Funchess/Cotchery and right now I would bet on the D. If you threw in a Spoles like guy with 80 receptions, he would likely open up Olsen a bit more, etc. I don't think Tolbert can do that.

I honestly like Wegher a ton. My father-in-law is an Iowa grad and a huge fan... I distinctly remember Wegher blowing up as a Freshman at Iowa before off-field stuff sidelined his career -- over 100 yards and a TD against GT in the Orange Bowl. Bounced around to a couple of different programs before landing at Morningside. Go read this and tell me you're not rooting for him...

Gil Brandt gave some of his pro-day results in this article (I've added where his results would've ranked at the combine in parentheses):

5' 10 3/8" - 213lbs

He's no slouch...
Big fan here. He is ahead of Todman on the depth chart, isn't he?

So that Randy Moss guy might be looking for work again. He's already here in Charlotte. Why not bring him in and check out his status? At least he's tall and can jump, to pull in those Cam high balls.

Watching Brown not be able to come down with that first pass at the sideline and then dropping his next pass makes me real worried. KB has the height to not have to jump (Brown had no chance to jump and come down in bounds). Also, while KB had drops last season, he seemed to have improved that. Brown has no chance IMHO to replace KB based on those two plays.

That said, I don't see a trade either. I think Funchess is just going to have to step up because I think he is the only guy who has the ability to replace KB this year. He won't be what KB was going to be year 2, but Brown clearly didn't look like he could.
nobody will really replace KB. But Brown can be a good WR I think, Funchess more of a TD threat.

So that Randy Moss guy might be looking for work again. He's already here in Charlotte. Why not bring him in and check out his status? At least he's tall and can jump, to pull in those Cam high balls.
really don't see Moss doing anything this year. He's never had Jerry Rice's work ethic and he turns 39 a week after the Super Bowl.

5' 10 3/8" - 213lbs

He's no slouch...
Big fan here. He is ahead of Todman on the depth chart, isn't he?
I think right now, if you forced GMan to assemble the final 53, Fozzy's on the outside looking in. Stewart, CAP, Wegher, and Todman make the team. Remember, Todman is the primary kick returner right now... and is pretty good at that job. Wegher is outplaying Fozzy for the potential 3rd/COP role and has significantly more upside in the event of a JStew injury. Todman's primarily around for special teams, but he and Wegher both offer more on that front than Fozzy.

Don't see them keeping 5 RBs plus Tolbert... so IMO it's Wegher vs. Fozzy for the last spot with Wegher in the lead right now.

I think you have to consider Tolbert as a surprise cut with Ward's play. Maybe Broeckel too

I also think Trusnik is a potential cut as Wegher has been playing so well on STs. We could go with just 5 LBs which would make space for Wegher.

JFS171 said:
Jayrok said:

I didn't realize he was 5'10. Still, I hope he makes the team and they don't try to sign him to the practice squad. I'm sure he'll be grabbed up off waivers by some team. I know Bersin isn't an RB, but as far as roster spots go, I'd rather keep Wegher as a 4th RB (since we know Stewart will probably miss half the season) than Bersin as a WR.

And what about Webb? Will they keep 3 QBs? He is a football player. Make him a WR
Rivera has all but said they will keep Webb. I think ultimately he becomes the backup in a perfect Panther world.

As for Wegher I think he makes the roster. Fozzy is a personal favorite but he has been invisible so far and that ain't good for your career.

JFS171 said:
Jayrok said:

Rivera has all but said they will keep Webb. I think ultimately he becomes the backup in a perfect Panther world.

As for Wegher I think he makes the roster. Fozzy is a personal favorite but he has been invisible so far and that ain't good for your career.
I'd like to keep Webb and Wegher. I like Fozzy too but I think Wegher can be better.

I think you have to consider Tolbert as a surprise cut with Ward's play. Maybe Broeckel too

I also think Trusnik is a potential cut as Wegher has been playing so well on STs. We could go with just 5 LBs which would make space for Wegher.
Tolbert is the FB, and I will be surprised if they cut him.

Tolbert is a Rivera favorite and is pretty versatile. If there is someone behind him though that can do his job I could see us getting something for him in a trade.

Yep, staff seems to love him so it would be a surprise but would any cut really be a surprise after Smitty? seemingly a lot of reasons stacking up

1) Tolbert turns 30 in November (and broke his leg last year)

2) He is a FA after this year and he doesn't seem like a probable resign unless he settles for a big pay cut

3) a cut would save a lot of cap money this year ~ 2.5 mill I think

4) He has one of the last Hurney's contracts. This was not gman's guy originally..

5) Tolbert hasn't been effective at actually blocking IMO and we haven't been very good in the red zone of late with him

6) Is Lee Ward the next Brad Hoover? might be good to give him PT if Tolbert isn't the FB of the future

Tolbert is a Rivera favorite and is pretty versatile. If there is someone behind him though that can do his job I could see us getting something for him in a trade.
I just don't see a 30 year old FB with a 1 year 2.5 mill contract having any trade value.

Users who are viewing this thread