What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (3 Viewers)

QB is obviously a good question. I have no idea that gets us right back in the groove, as far as suggesting a Cam replacement (that we can afford while keeping Cam). And haven't thought about not keeping him, as in what would the plan be (plan B) in vague terms of anything other than a rebuild.

I will say I do believe we do not have to have a great QB to carry us now because we are so much improved at the skill positions. If we could just fix the OL a game manager could give us a shot at being potent, offensively. With a stud a QB and a fixed fronts of both sides, we could be real strong. Easier said than done, and I don't see a quick fix. This is what will be fun to watch, I mean, watching how it unfolds with a brand new bright eyed and bushy tailed multi billionaire owner as opposed to a tired and besieged JR.

This whole thing has been really strange. I do not believe Tepper wasn't involved in the decision making, as far as how Cam was handled. No practices, keep playing him when he was so obviously ineffective while the team sinks... the whole thing. The idea that coaches did this to keep their jobs, and kept them, just doesn't pass the smell test for me. Not that I know what to make of it. Never seen anything like it really, and I have been watching football a long time. I was watching the game when they switched to Heidi for crying out loud.

I like what I hear about Tepper's desire to upgrade a lot of the Panthers facilities.  He talked about how the weight room is so small the team has to take shifts to work out.  Everything from the cafeteria to practice fields were sub-par.  Talked about how the team missed practices due to rain while most other NFL teams have indoor facilities to use.  

There is talk about developing land just south in SC for team facilities/complex.  I like the way he's thinking and look forward to what they do to improve this team.  

I like what I hear about Tepper's desire to upgrade a lot of the Panthers facilities.  He talked about how the weight room is so small the team has to take shifts to work out.  Everything from the cafeteria to practice fields were sub-par.  Talked about how the team missed practices due to rain while most other NFL teams have indoor facilities to use.  

There is talk about developing land just south in SC for team facilities/complex.  I like the way he's thinking and look forward to what they do to improve this team.  
Yeah its definitely good to hear. Its good for the current guys and its part of attracting free agents. When they come for tours and see top flight facilities that's a selling point. And I think putting facilities in SC is a good idea.  The while 2 state thing and all that.

Heard that a few months ago, talked about putting in an indoor/outdoor facility & moving team HQ to the old Knights Stadium area in Fort Mill, SC. This would be righteous for me as I am right across the street from the big hole that used to be the stadium :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Panthers get a compensatory pick in the third for Andrew Norwell.  Gives us two third round picks this year (#77 and #100).  So we have #16, #47, #77, #100, #115, #154 and #187 (round six).  Here's to a quality draft... hopefully.  

Panthers get a compensatory pick in the third for Andrew Norwell.  Gives us two third round picks this year (#77 and #100).  So we have #16, #47, #77, #100, #115, #154 and #187 (round six).  Here's to a quality draft... hopefully.  

please dont trade up marty

So Adams and Munnerlyn will not be back. I think of the two Adams is the biggest gamble. He was actually pretty decent but I guess it's time for the young guys to step up.

So Adams and Munnerlyn will not be back. I think of the two Adams is the biggest gamble. He was actually pretty decent but I guess it's time for the young guys to step up.
What are the strengths now on this team?  Linebacker maybe?  In the span of 2 seasons due to multiple reasons this roster has imploded.  No depth anywhere.

What are the strengths now on this team?  Linebacker maybe?  In the span of 2 seasons due to multiple reasons this roster has imploded.  No depth anywhere.
Implosion seems a little drastic. Elder is your new nickel. And I forget the name of the young guy from last year that is your new safety at least today. I like our corners. As you mentioned linebackers are probably still the strength. I mean the new year hasn't even started though. There will obviously be people available over the coming months to fill depth. We have needs but that's the salary cap era for you. Between the draft and free agency we have to hit on some guys. Hopefully we will.

I like the Paradis signing he was the guy I hoped they would target. I like the William's singing. And I like the Irvins signing today.  Kind of a low key free agency but it feels like it was well thought out and executed. Also no real breaking the bank. 

I've been hard on Marty the GM. I like Marty the guy I got to know through Pop Warner. And I am starting to have a good feeling about Marty the GM. Nicely done so far.

I like the Paradis signing he was the guy I hoped they would target. I like the William's singing. And I like the Irvins signing today.  Kind of a low key free agency but it feels like it was well thought out and executed. Also no real breaking the bank. 

I've been hard on Marty the GM. I like Marty the guy I got to know through Pop Warner. And I am starting to have a good feeling about Marty the GM. Nicely done so far.
Let's see how the draft goes first.  If they don't draft a left tackle I am going to go ballistic 

Let's see how the draft goes first.  If they don't draft a left tackle I am going to go ballistic 
I think you draft best available,  reaches have already plagued this team in the past. I also think there will be solid talent available before the season starts.

I think you draft best available,  reaches have already plagued this team in the past. I also think there will be solid talent available before the season starts.
I am praying either the OL from Bama Williams or Dillard from WSU make it to 16.  They have to give cam some help, thats even more important than a d lineman.  I bet both are gone by the time we draft however.

I am praying either the OL from Bama Williams or Dillard from WSU make it to 16.  They have to give cam some help, thats even more important than a d lineman.  I bet both are gone by the time we draft however.
Williams is an instant starter no way he falls to us. Dillard seems like a guy who is more of a developmental guy certainly not an first rounder. 

best pass protector in the draft.  He is rising on mock drafts (dillard)
Yeah he is a decent pass protector.  But he has issues with using his hands, dealing with speed rushers and hip flexibility. If someone wants to spend a first rounder great it just shouldn't be us.

So we signed Chris Hogan...not sure why.

Awesome that we resigned Kyle Love.  Not sure why he couldn't land a gig elsewhere.

So we signed Chris Hogan...not sure why.

Awesome that we resigned Kyle Love.  Not sure why he couldn't land a gig elsewhere.
Hogan was cheap (1 year for 1.45 million with a 300,000 signing bonus), and he adds depth to the receivers, and he is reliable. It is one less need in the draft too. I like the signing.

Hogan was cheap (1 year for 1.45 million with a 300,000 signing bonus), and he adds depth to the receivers, and he is reliable. It is one less need in the draft too. I like the signing.
I would have signed for half that and added depth too.  Would have seen the field as much as he should see it.

That said, I'm a fan of Torrey Smith and Jarius Wright so I really didn't see WR as a need.

I would have signed for half that and added depth too.  Would have seen the field as much as he should see it.

That said, I'm a fan of Torrey Smith and Jarius Wright so I really didn't see WR as a need.
Injuries happen, and another WR was a need.  Samuel has an injury history, and he will probably be a starter this year.  Smith missed many games last year. Most teams have more than 4 WRs.

Not a surprising pick in Burns. Lankey and quick but how is he against the run?  Heard some comparisons to Jevon Kearse.  If he's half as good as the freak I'll be happy.  Sorta mixed right now on him.  Was actually pulling for Wilkins to fall in hopes we'd grab him.  He can play any spot on the D-line and get to the passer.  

I get why they passed on Sweat but watch him be a monster for Washington.  

So what's next for today?  OT... CB... WR?  Good talent at those positions left on the board.  

Getts causing some head scratching up in NY.  If you like Daniel Jones you could still get him at 17.  Why not grab Josh Allen (a huge need) at 6 and then Jones later?   :lol:

Good with the Burns pick. I think he will give us some immediate help where we need it. A situation where a need lined up with close to BPA.

I predict we take Adderly or Rapp @ 47. I think they take care of a safety pick and go OL in R3.

Not a surprising pick in Burns. Lankey and quick but how is he against the run?  Heard some comparisons to Jevon Kearse.  If he's half as good as the freak I'll be happy.  Sorta mixed right now on him.  Was actually pulling for Wilkins to fall in hopes we'd grab him.  He can play any spot on the D-line and get to the passer.  

I get why they passed on Sweat but watch him be a monster for Washington.  

So what's next for today?  OT... CB... WR?  Good talent at those positions left on the board.  
Is Carolina still going to go with a 4-3?  Seems a bit undersized to play DE there just from watching clips.  

Is Carolina still going to go with a 4-3?  Seems a bit undersized to play DE there just from watching clips.  
I agree he seems undersized.  Hurney said they got him to rush the passer with his quickness in beating the OT, presumably around the outside edge.  Also said they plan to bulk him up a bit this summer.  I'm skeptical but hoping for the best.  

I read that Rivera is leaning towards a 3-4 defense this season.  That would make more sense as Burns could play that outside LB spot.  

Not sure what to think of the Grier pick.  Depth pick or are they concerned with Cam's shoulder recovery?  They traded two picks (second and one of the thirds) to move up 10 spots to get Greg Little. Hope he's a starter and the answer at LT.  Seems sort of a steep price to just move up 10 spots.  Maybe the Taylor pick a couple of spots before spooked them.  

Could have used one of the third round picks for Grier and still have the other for a defensive back.  Three picks left for today.  

I had the notion that Grier was one of the targets for Brady replacement and the Panthers took him right before Pats picked.  Kind of irritating.  Now hoping for Findley.

I think there is growing discontent with Cargo Pants.  If the Bucs pull there crap together with new coaching staff, and the Saints and Falcons tread water, the Panthers might be looking up from the basement this year and rebooting coach and QB when its all said and done.

Not sure what to think of the Grier pick.  Depth pick or are they concerned with Cam's shoulder recovery?  They traded two picks (second and one of the thirds) to move up 10 spots to get Greg Little. Hope he's a starter and the answer at LT.  Seems sort of a steep price to just move up 10 spots.  Maybe the Taylor pick a couple of spots before spooked them.  

Could have used one of the third round picks for Grier and still have the other for a defensive back.  Three picks left for today.  
would rather have harmon or another edge rusher.  we dont need a qb in the 3rd

I love this kid. This is an A+ in my book. This kid is a first-round talent. There was talk before the season that he was Top-10. He didn't quite play to that, but you get him under the right coaching and I think he has all the skills to be an All-Pro.
Draft Scouting Report:

Fits into the category of "rare" specimen at the left tackle spot with smooth movements in every direction, and he's well-versed in pass protection. Little needs more lower-half weight/strength to help his anchor, and in some instances -- though not often -- he can be a waist-bender. Knows how to use his long arms by striking first, and his run blocking his behind his pass protection, but with more power, he can be a franchise left tackle.
Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but this is what some people were saying.  Giving up a third for a franchise LT would be a steal.

Burns seems like an instant starter. Little is need of a lot of work. LT in the pros is a lot different than college I dont care what conference. He has a lot of work to do and his work ethic has been called into question. The QB I dont know much about but it was generally expected they would pick one to develop. I'll have to do some reading to see if I think they got the right one.

Obviously take it with a grain of salt, but this is what some people were saying.  Giving up a third for a franchise LT would be a steal.
A franchise LT would be great and I hope it works out.  I just wonder if Little and/or Ford would have been there at #47 and we keep the 3rd.  

With all the talent left on the board at the end of the Friday I was hoping for a different pick.  That said, you can't risk having a QB who can only shot put a ball 10 yards and a guy who was on the street for most of last year as your QB options.  Cam is under contract for two years and will be looking for 40m a year.  Good to have a fall back option.

A franchise LT would be great and I hope it works out.  I just wonder if Little and/or Ford would have been there at #47 and we keep the 3rd.  
Ford, Risner, and Jenkins all went in the next 7 picks.  Seems pretty risky not to move up.

With all the talent left on the board at the end of the Friday I was hoping for a different pick.  That said, you can't risk having a QB who can only shot put a ball 10 yards and a guy who was on the street for most of last year as your QB options.  Cam is under contract for two years and will be looking for 40m a year.  Good to have a fall back option.
It's a good point and I agree on Cam.  Especially the upcoming contract.  No way should they pay him 40m a year or anything like that.  Old Hurney would pay him the max and then some.  Hope new Hurney is the voice of reason.  

Ford, Risner, and Jenkins all went in the next 7 picks.  Seems pretty risky not to move up.
Yeah and I get the anxiety in the war room and we certainly need a quality OT.  Would be tough to sit on your hands and watch them all go poof.  

Not sure about Higdon but I don't get the Scarlett pick. Trayveon Williams was there. 

I like the Christian Miller pick but don't understand Godwin. 

Seven picks and zero defensive backs taken.  One of the worst in the league in pass defense last year.  

I guess they're going to hit free agency for DB help.  

Anxious to see what UDFA they sign for camp.

Jayrok said:
Not sure about Higdon but I don't get the Scarlett pick. Trayveon Williams was there. 

I like the Christian Miller pick but don't understand Godwin. 

Seven picks and zero defensive backs taken.  One of the worst in the league in pass defense last year.  

I guess they're going to hit free agency for DB help.  

Anxious to see what UDFA they sign for camp.
a solid c+ draft.   like the burns, movin up for a project tackle in the 2nd is classic marty but everything else is just "huh"?

Users who are viewing this thread