What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (2 Viewers)

not unhappy. depth is good.  unhappy hurney drafted him in the 3rd
It is only Gaulden's second year. He was actually projected to go in the second round. He could thrive at nickel. Josh Norman didn't show promise until the middle of his third season. You criticize Hurney too much. No draft pick is a guarantee for success in the NFL, and all teams have disappointments, but it is too soon to know how successful Gaulden will be. I think Hurney has done a nice job since his return to the Panthers.

It is only Gaulden's second year. He was actually projected to go in the second round. He could thrive at nickel. Josh Norman didn't show promise until the middle of his third season. You criticize Hurney too much. No draft pick is a guarantee for success in the NFL, and all teams have disappointments, but it is too soon to know how successful Gaulden will be. I think Hurney has done a nice job since his return to the Panthers.
gaulden in 2nd?  he was a reach and yes i hate hurney

Interesting to see Ryan Kalil un-retire to join the Jets.  Glad we have our center but kinda feels weird to see him play elsewhere after retiring as a Panther. 

Interesting to see Ryan Kalil un-retire to join the Jets.  Glad we have our center but kinda feels weird to see him play elsewhere after retiring as a Panther. 
It will definitely be weird seeing him in a Jets uniform. I understand why he would un-retire to add 8.4 million more to his bank account.   :moneybag:

I was surprised seeing as he seemed so prepared to transition.  I figured he do like Gross. Lose the weight and move on.

K. Allen looked decent.  Burns with two sacks in very limited time.  He really knows how to use his speed off the edge.  OT was left flat-footed on the one sack.  Excited to see this defensive front this year.

I felt bad for Holyfield after the fumble but he played well overall.  Showed he can catch out of the backfield and runs hard.  Maybe he can take the Fozzy role.  

Interested to see what they do with the QBs.  Grier wasn't great but I think he'll come along okay.  Heineke odd man out?  Will they even keep 3 QBs on the roster?  Either way, I really hope Cam stays healthy.  

Goodbye Gano. That would have been good from 65
I can already see the same thing that happened to us with Butker, losing him to KC.  They'll try to hide Joey Slye on the practice squad and he'll be scooped up. We'll keep over priced Gano.  Slye has a huge leg.  I'd like to keep him just for the kickoffs.  All touch backs. 

Ugly game.  Looked like the end of last season, post Cam's departure. Will Grier, oof.  

Defense still can't get off the field. 

I do like watching Scarlett run the ball.  Physical runner. 

Ugly game.  Looked like the end of last season, post Cam's departure. Will Grier, oof.  

Defense still can't get off the field. 

I do like watching Scarlett run the ball.  Physical runner. 
What a mess.  Heinicke is our best backup QB.  Who are they gonna keep?  

What a mess.  Heinicke is our best backup QB.  Who are they gonna keep?  
They have to keep Grier I suspect just because of the draft pick.

Damn I really hate Hurney.  If Cam goes out we are a 2-3 win team with our backups.    Some oline depth or another cornerback would be nice to have on the roster instead of Jimmy Clausen jr

They have to keep Grier I suspect just because of the draft pick.

Damn I really hate Hurney.  If Cam goes out we are a 2-3 win team with our backups.    Some oline depth or another cornerback would be nice to have on the roster instead of Jimmy Clausen jr
Then what.  Send Heinicke to the practice squad and cut Allen?

Allen and Grier are probably your guys. They've made it clear they knew Grier was a development deal and I doubt they cut him. As to last night all phases of the game pretty much sucked.

Alright what are we thinking here?   I am going with 8-8 with cam and that oline.  The line still is horrible, havent seen any real improvement yet.  Cam was pressured way too much for one quarter.

Without Cam this is probably a 3 win team.

Looking like Gauldens going to get cut.  Hurney is terrible

Another ugly performance.  Bright spots still Burns and Scarlett, imo.  Burns is so quick and it's obvious that he can get to the QB.  Not sure when the D line is going to show up.  Can't stop the run and they didn't get pressure on the QBs much at all.  

Agree that the Oline is not good.  It would be nice, for once, to see Cam enjoy a nice pocket to throw from.  

If the backup QBs have to start the season... oh boy.  Heineke is probably the best guy.  But yeah, probably a few wins if Cam is out.  

Alright what are we thinking here?   I am going with 8-8 with cam and that oline.  The line still is horrible, havent seen any real improvement yet.  Cam was pressured way too much for one quarter.
I'd take the under if Cam's injury lingers where he isn't effective running the ball.  

Would tepper move on from Cam if thats the case?   Personally I hope not.
I don't think so.  Cam will be fine.  Having said that, if this was next season right now, and Cam was out... I would vote for tanking the season to get the #1 pick and getting the QB.  I know that isn't popular but I'd take a crappy season if I could get a franchise QB for the next 15 years.  

An ankle sprain would be better than a foot injury similar to Olsen.  Hopefully it isn't a high ankle sprain that lingers. 

Seems like a team spending more time reading the press about how great their camp has been then executing in games
They seem so lethargic like no one wants to be there or everyone's waiting for someone else to make the play.  I know the Dline is better than this but both of the lines are just not playing well.  

Remember when we were sad and pissed that Luck blew us off to go back to Stanford and have fun his senior year?  Well that turned out well for the Cats.

CAP released.  Looks like they like Scarlett as CMC's primary backup (May keep Holyfield too?).  Bonnafon looks good as a pass catcher behind Christian.  Hope they keep all 3.  

Heineke cut as well.  Hard to cut a 3rd round pick I guess, even though Heineke out played him.  

Gano to IR.  Slye is the guy.  Hope he can keep it up.  Love his booming kickoffs/touchbacks.  

Not a lot of chatter heading into the season.  Guess everyone is anxious on how this team will do to start the season.  I'm cautiously optimistic, though the Rams are a tough matchup right out of the gate.  Defensive backfield will be tested early and often.  Hopefully they've improved over last year.  And I hope we can get to the QB.

Good to hear Cam is a full go this weekend.  Hope he can stay upright more this season.  

He set a record for most one handed catches in 60 seconds... so there's that.   :mellow:

:tumbleweed:

Did all you guys and gals become Browns fans or just join Patriot Nation>

Wonder why Cam didn't throw any deep balls?  Hopefully we can right the ship v. Tampa.

I thought Cam threw okay.  He still has trouble with clock management.  I get that you can't hear the play call if the helmet mic isn't working, but you don't know the play book enough to take control and call one?  You've been there 8 years.

I know they didn't want Cam to do much running but if he isn't going to be that duel threat type of QB... he isn't the best pocket passer in the league.  Expect a lot more sacks.  I think he'll open up more going forward.  I hope at least. 

They're going to wear out CMac.  But man he's great.  I worry about the WR corp and their ability to get open.  

They looked rusty and still almost beat a good team. But there wasn’t much rhythm to anything on offense. Plus the familiar missed open throws at key moments. I agree that if Cam isn’t going to run as much that’d be a really consequential change for him and the entire offense but it’s obviously too early to say. Team is faster and more potentially explosive at the outside receivers and w McCaffrey. It felt weird to not see loping gigantic WRs running around. 

Actually got to watch it!!!  Same question I always have.

WHERE THE #### WERE ALL THE FANS?

Still appeared half empty even most of the way through the 3rd quarter.

Unfortunately, Charlotte doesn't have a fan base like Chicago, Philly, GB, Pitt, <insert name of city where the team means everything> where fans are there win or lose.  If the team wins the fans will come, like in 2015.  That was fun.

I also wish we had a more hardcore fan base.  But in relative terms, the Panthers are still fairly new.  College football is king around here.  Winning will help build it.  We haven't had back to back winning seasons since... well, never.  24 seasons and no back to back winning seasons.  Came close twice where the following season they went 8-8.  

It's hard to believe actually.  BTW, Cam has lost his last 7 games he's started.  

It's time to change that trend tonight against the Bucs.  

Unfortunately, Charlotte doesn't have a fan base like Chicago, Philly, GB, Pitt, <insert name of city where the team means everything> where fans are there win or lose.  If the team wins the fans will come, like in 2015.  That was fun.

I also wish we had a more hardcore fan base.  But in relative terms, the Panthers are still fairly new.  College football is king around here.  Winning will help build it.  We haven't had back to back winning seasons since... well, never.  24 seasons and no back to back winning seasons.  Came close twice where the following season they went 8-8.  

It's hard to believe actually.  BTW, Cam has lost his last 7 games he's started.  

plus it was hot

Tonight is going to dictate the rest of the season IMO.

We blow the bucs out like we should season is back on track.  If we (gulp) lose then we got problems.

We should be beyond all this by now IMO.  Since day one it's been late to the game....late to the second half...logistics of getting in/out, fine whatever.  It drove me nuts going to the games and seeing it and I always wondered if it was obvious on TV...now I know.  That's different than game 1 of the season. playing the NFC champs and half the stadium seems empty for most of the game.  And speaking as a native North Carolinian, college football in the Carolinas is garbage sans Clemson (and that caveat is recent)  ;)   I hope you meant college basketball GB.  

We should be beyond all this by now IMO.  Since day one it's been late to the game....late to the second half...logistics of getting in/out, fine whatever.  It drove me nuts going to the games and seeing it and I always wondered if it was obvious on TV...now I know.  That's different than game 1 of the season. playing the NFC champs and half the stadium seems empty for most of the game.  And speaking as a native North Carolinian, college football in the Carolinas is garbage sans Clemson (and that caveat is recent)  ;)   I hope you meant college basketball GB.  
I meant the south east for college football.  NC is college hoops territory, for sure.  

plus it was hot

Tonight is going to dictate the rest of the season IMO.

We blow the bucs out like we should season is back on track.  If we (gulp) lose then we got problems.
I expect a good win tonight as well.  You're right, if tonight is a loss... oh boy.  I think Ron will find his way to the hot seat sooner than later if this season is a wash.  They said there are lots of first round picks on the defense this season... but just because Rivera/Hurney picked someone in the first doesn't always mean they were first round talent.  

I hope McCoy shows out tonight against his old team.  

The positive of these short week games is it usually favors the defense and being at home makes that even better.  But if they can't beat TB regardless of situation, they need to reevaluate a lot of things.  I get the pleasure of watching that team on Sundays and they are NOT good.  I feel bad for their LB core because they are a group of studs, but their line can't keep them free to roam and make plays.

Users who are viewing this thread