What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (4 Viewers)

The Commish said:
My fears are coming to fruition or so it appears. I really hope the lack of creativity on offense was by design and a ploy "not to show all their cards". The offensive line is going to be painful to watch if this continues which means more :hophead: bagging on Cam for no real reason. I'm kinda disappointed his accuracy hasn't improved (or so it appears). I know it's the preseason and I'm not jumping off any bridges, but I'd like to have seen at least a glimpse of something new.
I think the offensive sluggishness is about a few things. First vanilla play calling. There are plays we know they are going to run this year that we haven't seen at all. I don't think we have seen the offense they will be calling. Two the O-line. Oh my god it keeps getting worse. I hope and pray someone cuts a decent guard and/or right tackle. We have got to do something with the right side of the line. It's one big turnstile. Three got to hold on to the damn ball. At least two catches that would have put the Panthers in a red zone position were dropped. This hurt Cam's numbers and bogged down the offense.

But man Luke is for real. Star looks like who we hoped he'd be against a good O line. KK has looked good each of the last two weeks. And Ginn did what Ginn does. It's nice to have a return threat again.
Agree on Luke and the defense, but that front seven can't have a bad game. But back to offense for a second. What was up with Barner just standing back there with Cam? Is that all Shula knows to do with him or is this another case of not showing all the cards? I really don't see this kid making an impact in the NFL until he gains A LOT of mass. He can't figure out who to block and if he does, they swat him away like a gnat.
I think they are going use Barner with swing passes, pitches, screens maybe an occasional slot line up. Stuff to get him in space. But he did show some power last week pushing defenders into the end zone.
Yeah, I don't think he's far behind when it comes to actually running the ball....all the other stuff though? He looks lost and ineffective. That's a problem for obvious reasons and if I were an opposing defense I'd take note of him being in the game and assume what you just posted altering defense accordingly.

The other thing I am wondering is if coach and GM are on the same page with regards to the O-line. If they aren't and GM is planning for the future, I think there is little chance they get O-line help unless it's someone they can get REALLY cheap.
Everybody better be on the same page as far as O-line goes especially the GM. I don't know how you look at the play of that unit and think you can say this is the year that Cam "has to start winning" while rushers have an easy path into the backfield. I don't know who Bell has pictures of but they should do something about him and take their chances. He is never going to be a good tackle. He doesn't have the foot work to consistently stay in front of rushers. I know everyone is waiting on Kugbila but he is a rookie guard from a D2 school. I hope we aren't going to pin our hopes this season on him making the jump easily.

Yeah, I don't think he's far behind when it comes to actually running the ball....all the other stuff though? He looks lost and ineffective. That's a problem for obvious reasons and if I were an opposing defense I'd take note of him being in the game and assume what you just posted altering defense accordingly.

The other thing I am wondering is if coach and GM are on the same page with regards to the O-line. If they aren't and GM is planning for the future, I think there is little chance they get O-line help unless it's someone they can get REALLY cheap.
Bingo - I posted a while back that I thought this year was a "prove it" year for Rivera while Gettleman fixed the cap, evaluated the roster, and built the team for the long haul. If the two dovetail and they can win now, great. But Papa Getts is focused on building a perrenial contender, not a flash-in-the-pan success story.

He's rolling that cap space forward, and at most signing guys to 1-year deals here that don't affect the cap for next year. Most veterans worth ANYTHING aren't willing to take those same 1 year deals playing for a lame duck coach - there's zero safety net if they sustain a career-ending injury.

Man the D looked awesome, and Luke Kuechly is a monster. They're going to HAVE to play like that I'm afraid as I'm just not seeing a lot of upside from this offense. That being said, I'm also wondering how big a role Tolbert is going to play in the running game once he gets healthy, and I don't mean as a blocker. Tolbert's a bowling ball that comes out seeking contact, and they're pretty much going to HAVE to have someone that can break tackles and gain yardage despite a shoddy o-line to have any sort of hope at a productive running game.

I'm concerned about Shula, as I've previously expressed. They sold us on continuity on offense being a positive, but I can't imagine the playcalling would look like this if Hue Jackson was running the show. Maybe they're trying to just hold their cards close to the chest, but I'm not sure I see it. Shula's track record in Tampa was ultra-conservative, to the extent he hamstrung his offense. Thus far, I've seen little cause to believe it'll be different here. Sure hope I'm wrong though.

Bingo - I posted a while back that I thought this year was a "prove it" year for Rivera while Gettleman fixed the cap, evaluated the roster, and built the team for the long haul. If the two dovetail and they can win now, great. But Papa Getts is focused on building a perrenial contender, not a flash-in-the-pan success story.

He's rolling that cap space forward, and at most signing guys to 1-year deals here that don't affect the cap for next year. Most veterans worth ANYTHING aren't willing to take those same 1 year deals playing for a lame duck coach - there's zero safety net if they sustain a career-ending injury.

Man the D looked awesome, and Luke Kuechly is a monster. They're going to HAVE to play like that I'm afraid as I'm just not seeing a lot of upside from this offense. That being said, I'm also wondering how big a role Tolbert is going to play in the running game once he gets healthy, and I don't mean as a blocker. Tolbert's a bowling ball that comes out seeking contact, and they're pretty much going to HAVE to have someone that can break tackles and gain yardage despite a shoddy o-line to have any sort of hope at a productive running game.

I'm concerned about Shula, as I've previously expressed. They sold us on continuity on offense being a positive, but I can't imagine the playcalling would look like this if Hue Jackson was running the show. Maybe they're trying to just hold their cards close to the chest, but I'm not sure I see it. Shula's track record in Tampa was ultra-conservative, to the extent he hamstrung his offense. Thus far, I've seen little cause to believe it'll be different here. Sure hope I'm wrong though.
Shula makes me very leery. He has consistently proven he cannot perform in leadership positions.

So I ran into Marty Hurney this Saturday. He is coaching a Pop Warner team here in Charlotte. Trying to keep his skills sharp I guess.

I kid, Marty is a nice guy and the kids really seemed to like him.

My fears are coming to fruition or so it appears. I really hope the lack of creativity on offense was by design and a ploy "not to show all their cards". The offensive line is going to be painful to watch if this continues which means more :hophead: bagging on Cam for no real reason. I'm kinda disappointed his accuracy hasn't improved (or so it appears). I know it's the preseason and I'm not jumping off any bridges, but I'd like to have seen at least a glimpse of something new.
I think the offensive sluggishness is about a few things. First vanilla play calling. There are plays we know they are going to run this year that we haven't seen at all. I don't think we have seen the offense they will be calling. Two the O-line. Oh my god it keeps getting worse. I hope and pray someone cuts a decent guard and/or right tackle. We have got to do something with the right side of the line. It's one big turnstile. Three got to hold on to the damn ball. At least two catches that would have put the Panthers in a red zone position were dropped. This hurt Cam's numbers and bogged down the offense.

But man Luke is for real. Star looks like who we hoped he'd be against a good O line. KK has looked good each of the last two weeks. And Ginn did what Ginn does. It's nice to have a return threat again.
Agree on Luke and the defense, but that front seven can't have a bad game. But back to offense for a second. What was up with Barner just standing back there with Cam? Is that all Shula knows to do with him or is this another case of not showing all the cards? I really don't see this kid making an impact in the NFL until he gains A LOT of mass. He can't figure out who to block and if he does, they swat him away like a gnat.
I think they are going use Barner with swing passes, pitches, screens maybe an occasional slot line up. Stuff to get him in space. But he did show some power last week pushing defenders into the end zone.

Everybody better be on the same page as far as O-line goes especially the GM. I don't know how you look at the play of that unit and think you can say this is the year that Cam "has to start winning" while rushers have an easy path into the backfield. I don't know who Bell has pictures of but they should do something about him and take their chances. He is never going to be a good tackle. He doesn't have the foot work to consistently stay in front of rushers. I know everyone is waiting on Kugbila but he is a rookie guard from a D2 school. I hope we aren't going to pin our hopes this season on him making the jump easily.
I guess I'm just gunshy at this point. I don't have 100% confidence in any of them yet. It's Gett's first year and Rivera hasn't done much to instill confidence. Gett didn't pick Rivera as "his guy". I did forget that Gett has made comments that it was time for Cam and the signing of Wharton has subdued by nervousness a little bit, but I'm just not warm and fuzzy right now. Agree 100% on Bell...at least that's not Cam's blind side I guess.

While the defense is looking better than it has in years, this offense looks putrid. Why the team never addressed the WR position, especially in a year where there was so much depth at wide out, I'll never understand.

I guess I'm just gunshy at this point. I don't have 100% confidence in any of them yet. It's Gett's first year and Rivera hasn't done much to instill confidence. Gett didn't pick Rivera as "his guy". I did forget that Gett has made comments that it was time for Cam and the signing of Wharton has subdued by nervousness a little bit, but I'm just not warm and fuzzy right now. Agree 100% on Bell...at least that's not Cam's blind side I guess.
My guess is Wharton isn't going to be only signing. We have some injury issues starting to add up and we are going to need at least one more healthy productive lineman. I wouldn't be surprised by at least one more 1-2 year deal type signing. Good thing about Wharton is he can play anywhere except for center. That flexibility may come in very handy.

While the defense is looking better than it has in years, this offense looks putrid. Why the team never addressed the WR position, especially in a year where there was so much depth at wide out, I'll never understand.
Actually there wasn't much quality depth amongst the wideouts in this draft. Next year should be a great year for WR picks. Lots of good guys should be in the mix.

Getts MO so far appears to be hog mollys

his picks so far DT, DT, OG, LB, RB

Considering Beason's contract situation and J Stew's injury situation... the LB and RB picks are understandable now.

I agree - Getts has brought Accorsi's long-time view of the game being won in the trenches to Carolina. It's what Accorsi used to do in NY, and it's what Reese has done since then.

I'd bet the focus turns to the OL next year in the draft, with an eye toward WR as well. Let's also not forget there's some nice FA targets this coming offseason. Hakeem Nicks is a guy I could see them pursuing, given he's from Charlotte and they'll need a new #1.

I also like the Wharton signing, and would expect that to set them up for another addition on the OL. If Kugbila comes back and dominates (I'm skeptical) then Wharton can play RT. If the need is more glaring at RG, Wharton can play there too. It also allows them to see what comes out of the cuts as rosters start to trim down. If a G becomes available, Wharton plays tackle. Or vice versa.

Hopefully the line gets strengthened - worry about WR next year. There's ENOUGH WR/TE talent to be a successful offense if the running game is working and the OL is steady. They've been far below steady though thus far...

JFS171 said:
I agree - Getts has brought Accorsi's long-time view of the game being won in the trenches to Carolina. It's what Accorsi used to do in NY, and it's what Reese has done since then.

I'd bet the focus turns to the OL next year in the draft, with an eye toward WR as well. Let's also not forget there's some nice FA targets this coming offseason. Hakeem Nicks is a guy I could see them pursuing, given he's from Charlotte and they'll need a new #1.

I also like the Wharton signing, and would expect that to set them up for another addition on the OL. If Kugbila comes back and dominates (I'm skeptical) then Wharton can play RT. If the need is more glaring at RG, Wharton can play there too. It also allows them to see what comes out of the cuts as rosters start to trim down. If a G becomes available, Wharton plays tackle. Or vice versa.

Hopefully the line gets strengthened - worry about WR next year. There's ENOUGH WR/TE talent to be a successful offense if the running game is working and the OL is steady. They've been far below steady though thus far...
With the injury to Amini it looks like Wharton will be starting on the left side at guard.

Just saw some stats where Carolina is dead last in offense this pre-season.
Last in yards. 14th in points IIRC.

We were 26th in 11 in yards and 20th in 12

offense definitely wasn't good but game situations contributed a lot to that yardage being down...

defense forced lots of turnovers and didn't allow many points despite not being able to get off the field, defense and special teams scored TDs also. Kind of an odd combination.

Man...how quickly things change. Just a couple months ago Carolina had more RBs than they knew what to do with. Now? D'Will and the fumble factory.

Just saw some stats where Carolina is dead last in offense this pre-season.
Last in yards. 14th in points IIRC.

We were 26th in 11 in yards and 20th in 12

offense definitely wasn't good but game situations contributed a lot to that yardage being down...

defense forced lots of turnovers and didn't allow many points despite not being able to get off the field, defense and special teams scored TDs also. Kind of an odd combination.
The offense has 2 TDs, the defense and special teams has 5 TDs. Back those out and the turnover aided 3 and FG drive and we're dead last there too.

Any views on Shula as OC?

I'm kind of curious where the change comes - or if any comes - vs what they were doing end of last year with Chud, which was pretty successful.

Shula was the OC with the Bucs in teh Dungy days, top 3-10 or so in carries, Alstott & Dunn, close to the vest, but combined with great defense it was a winning combo.

What direction is this team going in? I realize the o-line is a mess, but are we looking at a new emphasis on defense and ball control?

I'm kind of curious where the change comes - or if any comes - vs what they were doing end of last year with Chud, which was pretty successful.

Shula was the OC with the Bucs in teh Dungy days, top 3-10 or so in carries, Alstott & Dunn, close to the vest, but combined with great defense it was a winning combo.

What direction is this team going in? I realize the o-line is a mess, but are we looking at a new emphasis on defense and ball control?
Hopefully they are hiding something because what we have seen so far looks like a really ugly 1990s offense

Run heavy, RB screen heavy, lots of intermediate passes, Smitty moved to the slot

Our OG situation is abysmal so the predictable run first down offense seems way to easy to sniff out

As for the pass game, Cam's intermediate game sucks. No WR outside of Smitty is a real playmaker. With Smitty playing a lot of slot and Cam sucking at intermediate distances...

the final results could be scary if we don't see something unconventional

I prefer to wait a few games into the regular season before giving an opinion on what I think of him as an OC. I don't think the preseason represents what the play-calling is going to be like.
It doesn't. We have seen almost none of Cam in the shotgun. We haven't seen any designed plays for Cam. We haven't seen a lot of things we know they will be running. The players have even talked about how they run things in camp they still haven't run in a game as have reporters. Shula had nothing offensively except RB at Tampa so he worked with what he had. I don't think you can judge him by that experience or by this preseason. Now we get to the season and it is craptacular let the pile on begin in earnest.

Ginn looked like a wide receiver last night. And we found out if Luke isn't in the middle our defense goes to crap. Sure hope he doesn't get hurt. Hixon finally made the field but to me he has already demonstrated that he is going to continue to be fragile and I don't think he's worth the roster spot. Don't see what he brings to the table really. Norman has got to be on the field. Preseason or not 4 Ints is something. Nice to finish with a winning record even though it doesn't count. On the to the real games.

So final cuts have been done. I think the only real surprises were Gettis and Florence. They are essentially going to pay Clausen to go away. How bad do you have to suck to go on IR after your first concussion? Nakumara may want to think about that when his head clears. Well it brought in Mikell so I am good with it. I assume he'll be starting in short order especially given who we play this year. He just has a natural head start and was rated out as the 5th best safety last year. Should be great in the box and hopefully won't get a penalty every game for an idiotic hit.

Tolbert expects to play this weekend. Might seem crazy but I think thats big news for us. I'm just not feeling much confidence from DWill

So final cuts have been done. I think the only real surprises were Gettis and Florence. They are essentially going to pay Clausen to go away. How bad do you have to suck to go on IR after your first concussion? Nakumara may want to think about that when his head clears. Well it brought in Mikell so I am good with it. I assume he'll be starting in short order especially given who we play this year. He just has a natural head start and was rated out as the 5th best safety last year. Should be great in the box and hopefully won't get a penalty every game for an idiotic hit.
They also brought in Roh but it wasn't clear to me if that was just for practice squad or what. I don't see him on the roster, so I'm assuming it's just practice squad.

They also brought in Roh but it wasn't clear to me if that was just for practice squad or what. I don't see him on the roster, so I'm assuming it's just practice squad.
Yeah Roh was signed to the practice squad. They also kept Lester on the PS along with Poole.

Tolbert expects to play this weekend. Might seem crazy but I think thats big news for us. I'm just not feeling much confidence from DWill
Well it's good to get Tolbert back but I hope the line gets it's act together, especially on the right side, or it won't matter much.

I expect we'll see another signing on the right side of the line - probably a tackle. With Silatolu getting back to practice earlier than anticipated, they can slide Wharton to RG and only have the turnstyle that is Byron Bell to fix on the right side of the line. In theory, Wharton can play RT too and Williams could play RG, but I'm not sure that works.

There's a few OL out there for the picking - my guess is Papa Getts goes and grabs one on the cheap.

Well it's good to get Tolbert back but I hope the line gets it's act together, especially on the right side, or it won't matter much.
This is a huge deal IMO. I've been saying it for a while elsewhere on the board, but I think Tolbert is a sneaky pick to be a big-time contributor for the team this year. His ability to catch passes out of the backfield and, most importantly, break tackles and gain positive yardage when there's not much there is going to be big for this team. DW may not be shot, but I just don't think he looks like the same guy anymore. My guess is that they end up closer to a 60:40 or 50:50 split than people think, and given Tolberts passing game chops and short yardage/Goalline role, he could end up being more productive.

Call me crazy, but I'm pretty optimistic about this season.

Solid defense, line, and QB play can get you 9-10 wins in this league. If Cam takes a minor step forward (reasonable), the schedule has 8 games that they'll be favored in or a pick'em. 3 of the more difficult non-division opponents at home

Not having to go to SEA WK1 gives them a reasonable shot to start the season with a bang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Call me crazy, but I'm pretty optimistic about this season.

Solid defense, line, and QB play can get you 9-10 wins in this league. If Cam takes a minor step forward (reasonable), the schedule has 8 games that they'll be favored in or a pick'em. 3 of the more difficult non-division opponents at home

Not having to go to SEA WK1 gives them a reasonable shot to start the season with a bang.
I am thinking 10-6 is a reasonable expectation on paper. I think we have a real chance to win this first game as well. Seattle is dinged up pretty good and will not have some fairly valuable starters available.

I'd really like it if I didn't hear the word haters the rest of the season
Hard to describe them as anything else. He has thrown for more yards in his first two years than anyone with a less than stellar wide out group. And yet people insist he can't throw. He had several games won in the fourth and the D let them get away. And yet people insists he can't win games. They say he can't lead but the players in the locker room and his former teammates say he can and does lead.

So what do you call people that ignore facts that fly directly in the face of their complaints yet they keep making them and they seem to be driven by something other than reality?

Is it too much to ask for the Panthers to prison rape Seattle on Sunday? I think this would set the tone for the rest of the year. Getting beat again on opening day would just put this team behind the 8 ball early given their history with Rivera as coach

New season, same Panthers. The defense looks improved, but the offense is completely unimaginative. Is it too much to ask for a reasonable mix between Chud's ridiculous complicated style and the boring run-run-pass-punt style?

Basically, it's the same Panthers team we've all known for years now. They play up or down to their competition and manage to find a way to lose in the fourth quarter. I'd like to say that I'm encouraged by the team and their ability to hang tough with what's considered one of the best teams in the NFL...but they ALWAYS do that. I'll believe that this team is truly improved when they start to put away some games earlier than November.

I still dont understand why they play away from their strengths. Cam is not a franchise packet passing QB. He can be a gamechanger when allowed the room to make plays. They are focing a scheme they arent built for. This one is on the coaching IMO.

Well.....not sure what to think. EXECUTE!!!!! Dang it....game slipped through their fingers again!!!!
Yeah, I'm still just not sure how they actually lost that game.

Defense was spectacular. Offense didn't seem too bad (other than, you know, only scoring 7 points).The fumble obviously was a disaster, but the game really shouldn't have been that close by that point.

Just never put'em away, and they got the stop and the drive they needed at the end.

It kind of felt like they were trying to just run out the clock with a 7-6 lead and almost an entire half of football left.

Well.....not sure what to think. EXECUTE!!!!! Dang it....game slipped through their fingers again!!!!

Defense was spectacular. Offense didn't seem too bad (other than, you know, only scoring 7 points).The fumble obviously was a disaster, but the game really shouldn't have been that close by that point.

Just never put'em away, and they got the stop and the drive they needed at the end.

It kind of felt like they were trying to just run out the clock with a 7-6 lead and almost an entire half of football left.
I was happy with the way both sides of the ball played for the most. All this week did for me was further emphasis my concerns with Shula. Not a single shot down the field all game. The O-line played pretty well with some pretty significant holes getting opened most of the day. As of today, I don't buy into the hype of Seattle as a favorite to be in the Superbowl. I understand they had a lot of players out or whatever, but if the drop off is that big between their 1s and 2s, they simply aren't deep enough to justify the hype.

Tough loss. You know going in you aren't going to score a lot on Seattle. But given our makeshift O-line that got even more makeshift the offense did OK. Everyone is calling it vanilla and saying no one but Smith caught anything I chock that up to the drops. People are on the Deangelo fumble but Olsen had two drops he should have caught. The second one would have given us good field position and a chance to score. The first would have kept a drive going. To me if some balls get hung on to we win this thing going away. Cam was throwing darts pretty much all day and I thought looked pretty good.

Our defense was stout until the very end. I bet not too many teams hold these guys to 12 points this year. Star is definitely what we thought he was. A terror on the inside. KK was pretty good as well. In fact the whole front seven did the job. DBs hurt us though at the end. To me the CB didn't blow that TD play the free safety did. He was late and he was supposed to have over the top coverage on that.

If our defense can keep this up and we can get the offense a little more productive this team has a chance to win quite a few games this year.

The defense looked solid. Pressured Wilson plenty. But it looks like another frustrating year watching this offense run by a less than stellar OC. Still plenty of bonehead plays too. We have Wilson sacked to make it 4th and a lot, but Alexander felt it necessary to just punch an OL in the facemask away from the play. Instead of forcing the punt, we get a player ejected and give the seadonkeys 15 yards and automatic first down. Just baffling why that happens in big spots. Like the Tampa LB that hit Geno Smith out of bounds for no reason other than to give the Jets 15 yards and a game winning FG.

If it is illegal to run out of bounds on punt coverage, why does the gunner line up 2 feet from the sidelines? Why doesn't Ginn step up and catch a punt when he calls fair catch? When a returner yells "PETER!", why doesn't the coverage just run towards the sidelines or back towards the line of scrimmage? Terrible break giving Sea the ball deep in Panther territory.

DWill, I love you but come on man... hang on to the dadgum ball.

Is there ever going to be a talented WR on this team again? Teams can double team Smith and leave the other side of the field in single coverage. LaFail quite simply cannot get open. He just can't. I wonder if NYG would take Dwill, LaFell and Dixon for Hakeem Nicks? Hell, maybe they'd even throw in David Wilson after last night.

I was happy with the way both sides of the ball played for the most. All this week did for me was further emphasis my concerns with Shula. Not a single shot down the field all game. The O-line played pretty well with some pretty significant holes getting opened most of the day. As of today, I don't buy into the hype of Seattle as a favorite to be in the Superbowl. I understand they had a lot of players out or whatever, but if the drop off is that big between their 1s and 2s, they simply aren't deep enough to justify the hype.
I disagree on the Seattle contender comment. I think climate had a little to do with how they played. First game of the season pressure and playing it across country at 10 AM (to them), I thought there would be a slight let down. I think the seahawks will be just fine this year and will contend. My preaseason prediction was Seattle and Denver in the SB. I think that's still reasonable.

Next Sunday night will be telling for them. They have SF at home on SNF. 49ers looked great yesterday and Boldin may catch 120 balls the way Kaepernick looks to him.

Alexander killed us

Olsens drops killed us

Not trying to get more points at the end of the 1rst half with 3 timeouts killed us

Not going for it on 4rth and inches with a 6'5 260lb qb killed us

some weird unsportsmanlike penalty that the announcers were saying was completely wrong killed us

Dwills fumble was the final nail in the coffin

Rivera was coaching like he wants to be looking for a job next year.

Yesterday was a tough loss for sure. The bright spot was the D, which looks like it could be among the leagues best this year. Those LBs are nasty.

Users who are viewing this thread