What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (1 Viewer)

Alexander killed us

Olsens drops killed us

Not trying to get more points at the end of the 1rst half with 3 timeouts killed us

Not going for it on 4rth and inches with a 6'5 260lb qb killed us

some weird unsportsmanlike penalty that the announcers were saying was completely wrong killed us

Dwills fumble was the final nail in the coffin

Rivera was coaching like he wants to be looking for a job next year.
Not many coaches are going to go for it on their side of the 50, so hard to fault Rivera, but I have to admit I really wanted them to give Cam the ball on that play.

Alexander killed us

Olsens drops killed us

Not trying to get more points at the end of the 1rst half with 3 timeouts killed us

some weird unsportsmanlike penalty that the announcers were saying was completely wrong killed us

Not many coaches are going to go for it on their side of the 50, so hard to fault Rivera, but I have to admit I really wanted them to give Cam the ball on that play.
True and I get that.

But its win or else for rivera and they desperately needed an opening win to set the tone. He should have gone for the 2 inches with Cam Newton. No friggin way would seattle stop him

Alexander killed us

Olsens drops killed us

True and I get that.But its win or else for rivera and they desperately needed an opening win to set the tone. He should have gone for the 2 inches with Cam Newton. No friggin way would seattle stop him
I was thinking the same thing. With Cam, those situations seem like easy money.

Alexander killed us

Olsens drops killed us

True and I get that.

But its win or else for rivera and they desperately needed an opening win to set the tone. He should have gone for the 2 inches with Cam Newton. No friggin way would seattle stop him
Well to be fair the D had been suffocating and a lot could go wrong to give Seattle the ball on our 30. Like maybe one of our not much playing time guards step back and step on Cam's foot. Or Cam fumbles which he has done in the past. Now like you I would have still liked to see them go for it. I mean to me if you make a mistake but it is from aggressive play I am going to be very forgiving. But Rivera did what pretty much every coach in the NFL would have done in that situation.

It really was like it never occurred to Rivera and Shula at any point to go actually try to win the damn game.

4 passes attempted over 10 yards all day.

I'm sure there's plenty of blame to around on that, in addition to the playcalling. WRs gotta get open and Cam's got to take the shot.

I'm sure the SEA should get more credit in that than we're giving them. Cam keeps saying they took what was given to them.

Yesterday was a tough loss for sure. The bright spot was the D, which looks like it could be among the leagues best this year. Those LBs are nasty.
I know I am a homer but it appeared that seattles oline held on just about every play
:lmao: ya...that must have been why Cam was held to 125 yards passing.

Panthers lost because their offense was held to 7 points, Newton couldn't come up with a big play, and Wilson did. Seems like the Panthers committed to stoping the run, and they did....but at the expense of letting the Wilson pass all over them. Like have have told you plenty of times pantherclub, Wilson is a better QB than Newton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well.....not sure what to think. EXECUTE!!!!! Dang it....game slipped through their fingers again!!!!
Yeah, I'm still just not sure how they actually lost that game.

Defense was spectacular. Offense didn't seem too bad (other than, you know, only scoring 7 points).The fumble obviously was a disaster, but the game really shouldn't have been that close by that point.

Just never put'em away, and they got the stop and the drive they needed at the end.

It kind of felt like they were trying to just run out the clock with a 7-6 lead and almost an entire half of football left.
I was happy with the way both sides of the ball played for the most. All this week did for me was further emphasis my concerns with Shula. Not a single shot down the field all game. The O-line played pretty well with some pretty significant holes getting opened most of the day. As of today, I don't buy into the hype of Seattle as a favorite to be in the Superbowl. I understand they had a lot of players out or whatever, but if the drop off is that big between their 1s and 2s, they simply aren't deep enough to justify the hype.
I disagree on the Seattle contender comment. I think climate had a little to do with how they played. First game of the season pressure and playing it across country at 10 AM (to them), I thought there would be a slight let down. I think the seahawks will be just fine this year and will contend. My preaseason prediction was Seattle and Denver in the SB. I think that's still reasonable.

Next Sunday night will be telling for them. They have SF at home on SNF. 49ers looked great yesterday and Boldin may catch 120 balls the way Kaepernick looks to him.
Not saying they can't contend, but they have to stay VERY healthy if what we saw is the real Seattle...that's all. If they have many injury losses on defense, they're in trouble. They'd most likely make the playoffs, but I don't see the SB under that circumstance.

It really was like it never occurred to Rivera and Shula at any point to go actually try to win the damn game.

4 passes attempted over 10 yards all day.

I'm sure there's plenty of blame to around on that, in addition to the playcalling. WRs gotta get open and Cam's got to take the shot.

I'm sure the SEA should get more credit in that than we're giving them. Cam keeps saying they took what was given to them.
Yeah, I have no complaints with the way Cam played. This game really wasn't about Cam IMO. He did what he was asked to do. He didn't turn the ball over and took what the defense gave him. He can't control the drops and fumbles by others.

Cam Newton threw only 6 passes>10 yards. Of those he completed 5 of 6 for 71 yds. The other? A 23 yarder dropped by Greg Olsen

The Commish said:
Cam Newton threw only 6 passes>10 yards. Of those he completed 5 of 6 for 71 yds. The other? A 23 yarder dropped by Greg Olsen
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the play calling....terrible.
No being in 3rd and long against an aggressive and smart secondary is terrible. Cam used to force those throws. Now he has matured enough to take the check down. The throws simply weren't there to make. And as Kalil said they made mistakes on the line that turned runs into short runs. We could have gotten some chunks in the running game with one more block made. Which would have also helped the passing game. Buffalo should give us a chance to get some more down field plays in the passing game.

The Commish said:
No being in 3rd and long against an aggressive and smart secondary is terrible. Cam used to force those throws. Now he has matured enough to take the check down. The throws simply weren't there to make. And as Kalil said they made mistakes on the line that turned runs into short runs. We could have gotten some chunks in the running game with one more block made. Which would have also helped the passing game. Buffalo should give us a chance to get some more down field plays in the passing game.
My "terrible" wasn't directed at Cam. As I said above, he took what the defense gave him and I agree that's a major sign towards his maturing. The "terrible" was towards the play calling. There MIGHT have been two opportunities that Cam could have taken down field that he didn't. That's it. They need to be a lot more open in the play calling IMO. Ginn should be a target 3-4 times a game DEEP.

The Commish said:
My "terrible" wasn't directed at Cam. As I said above, he took what the defense gave him and I agree that's a major sign towards his maturing. The "terrible" was towards the play calling. There MIGHT have been two opportunities that Cam could have taken down field that he didn't. That's it. They need to be a lot more open in the play calling IMO. Ginn should be a target 3-4 times a game DEEP.
Yeah I agree with that. I was surprised to not see them running Ginn out there to test the top of the secondary. I thought that was the whole idea of bringing him. I thought he was supposed to take the D with him and provide more room for Smith and Co to operate.

The Commish said:
Yeah I agree with that. I was surprised to not see them running Ginn out there to test the top of the secondary. I thought that was the whole idea of bringing him. I thought he was supposed to take the D with him and provide more room for Smith and Co to operate.
Guess that's why we aren't coaches ;) Hell, I have no delusions that the attempts will be successful, but they have to establish early that they are willing to go deep...especially with a good defense like Seattle.

Seriously we should fire Rivera and Shula and let Smitty handle all the HC and OC duties
At least Rivera said after the game that he would like to see them be more aggressive in the passing game. Hopefully we will see that against the Bills.

Seriously we should fire Rivera and Shula and let Smitty handle all the HC and OC duties
At least Rivera said after the game that he would like to see them be more aggressive in the passing game. Hopefully we will see that against the Bills.
Problem is...he said the same sorts of things last year....especially with "down the field" passing.

Problem is...he said the same sorts of things last year....especially with "down the field" passing.
IIRC Carolina was very near the top of the NFL rankings for plays over 20 yards last year.

NCCommish said:
IIRC Carolina was very near the top of the NFL rankings for plays over 20 yards last year.
Yes...at the end of the year. The second half it was like a light switch went off or something. I feel like it's groundhog's day when comparing the beginning of last year with the beginning of this, only I'm more annoyed now because they SAW the success at the end of last year and didn't think to continue it right out of the gate this year. Hopefully it doesn't take 5 weeks to get it going.

Well just saw a review of the coaches tape. Cam missed a lot of deep shots. Lafell actually was open and getting good separation most of the day. Even took the top of the defense on the play Olsen dropped and he was wide open. Would have been a walk in touchdown. In fact both he and Ginn were open but Cam was staring down Olsen instead of running his progressions. Now apparently the focus of the offense was supposed to be Olsen because they were scared of the Seahawks corners. But those guys weren't all that Sunday and we could have had them.

I know every QB misses chances. My real problem with this is the continuing stare down. If Cam can't learn to run his progressions we are screwed. My other problem is the lack of adjustment. If a bunch of amateurs can see it on the All 22 what the hell was Shula doing? One last problem I have. When I watch other games I see them going over the snapshots with the QB I rarely, if ever, see it on the Panthers sideline. Is it just me and I am missing it?

I thought this at the time, and while I'm giving it another couple weeks before really screaming it from the rooftops, I think Rivera sealed his fate when he made the final call to stick with Shula instead of bringing in a proven OC.

And another thing that annoys me - I hear people saying Carolina was just unlucky last year losing so many close games (what was it? 1-7 in games decided by less than a TD?). I don't buy it. Yes, there's some luck involved -- but there's also the fact that Carolina's dealt with one of the worst coaching situations in the NFL dating back to the 2-14 team when Fox was a lame duck.

There's a reason the same teams are always finding a way to win those close games and teams like Carolina are always losing them.

I hope Gettleman cleans house - starting with the scouting department, and culminating in Rivera and Shula. I'm happy with McDermott and the D, but the offense and scouting have been terrible.

I'm still sick to my stomach over this last game. It amazes me how many boneheaded mistakes this teams makes. Cam doesn't look like he's in the top half of the NFL QBs. He's not a pocket passer. Let him run as often as he wants. If he gets hurt, so be it.

I'm still sick to my stomach over this last game. It amazes me how many boneheaded mistakes this teams makes. Cam doesn't look like he's in the top half of the NFL QBs. He's not a pocket passer. Let him run as often as he wants. If he gets hurt, so be it.
Yeah, it was a pretty disgusting loss.

Hopefully, it gets better, but it's hard to be too optimistic with some combination of Shula's playcalling and Cam either not being able to go through is progressions or being scared to go down the field.

One thing that made me even sicker was MNF. Now, I have no idea how good Chip Kelly will ultimately be, but the Panthers standing pat with Rivera in the same off-season that Kelly was ready to jump to the NFL? Ugh. Did they even consider him? I have to think he would've been open to the idea.

Maybe it's a ridiculous idea, but that's what I thought about watching the Eagles Monday Night after watching the Panthers try to run out the clock for 2 quarters with a 7-6 lead.

Yeah, it was a pretty disgusting loss.

Hopefully, it gets better, but it's hard to be too optimistic with some combination of Shula's playcalling and Cam either not being able to go through is progressions or being scared to go down the field.

One thing that made me even sicker was MNF. Now, I have no idea how good Chip Kelly will ultimately be, but the Panthers standing pat with Rivera in the same off-season that Kelly was ready to jump to the NFL? Ugh. Did they even consider him? I have to think he would've been open to the idea.

Maybe it's a ridiculous idea, but that's what I thought about watching the Eagles Monday Night after watching the Panthers try to run out the clock for 2 quarters with a 7-6 lead.
So assuming; Newton > Vick, Olsen > Celek, Smith/Lafell = DJax/Avant, is the difference McCoy > DWill or Kelly > Rivera/Shula???

My bet is the Panthers will throw deep a lot more against the Bills. Buffalo's secondary is hurting pretty badly. If the Panthers don't take advantage of it as much as possible, then it's officially time to worry. Not throwing deep against Sherman really isn't a terrible plan.

I would expect the same from the Bills as well. I think both teams would PREFER to rely on the run, but the one that opens it up more and takes more shots down field will come away the winner IMO.

I wonder if Rivera makes it through monday. Nobody would be surprised if he was canned. If he loses next week then its a given he is gone. Who could they get though?

In games decided by 7 points or less, the Panthers under Rivera are 2-14, worst in the NFL since 2011. Does that say something about coaching during crunch time?

Good teams get the first down and take the game outcome into their own hands. They don't rely on luck or hope that the other team can't score under 2 minutes. No defensive urgency to tackle them in bounds. And they were throwing it over the middle! Just let them run out of bounds.

I've seen the Panthers lose games that should have been won, and I've seen them lose heart breakers where they just came up short. But I think this game is the worst I've ever seen. Maybe tied with the ATL game last year.

This wasn't Peyton Manning or Tom Brady or Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers or even Eli Manning. This was EJ Manuel. A rookie with no timeouts and a long field. oof. But it shouldn't have come to that. Just a single bootleg from Cam during one of those handoffs up the middle would have sealed that game.

2-14 in close games under Rivera.

Jayrok said:
The Commish said:
I really have no words at this point...unreal.
I do. The axe should drop. This guy can't coach when coaching is needed most.
I don't know what the deal is. One week the offense will show up, the next, the defense. They NEVER seem to be ALL ready to go. The first half of this game was just brutal. I felt like Shula had been listening to local sports talk radio and just threw long ball after long ball regardless of success or rhythm/flow. The scoring drive at the end of the half should have been the approach at the beginning of the game. This team has no identity on offense and is inconsistent on defense. They don't have a bunch of noobs on either side of the ball and have plenty of talent to win DESPITE the coaching staff.

Jayrok said:
The Commish said:
I don't know what the deal is. One week the offense will show up, the next, the defense. They NEVER seem to be ALL ready to go. The first half of this game was just brutal. I felt like Shula had been listening to local sports talk radio and just threw long ball after long ball regardless of success or rhythm/flow. The scoring drive at the end of the half should have been the approach at the beginning of the game. This team has no identity on offense and is inconsistent on defense. They don't have a bunch of noobs on either side of the ball and have plenty of talent to win DESPITE the coaching staff.
I don't think Shula was listening to sports talk radio. Rivera said he wanted more big plays in the passing game, and Shula obviously listened to him. The team still cannot close out games. Richardson probably didn't let Rivera go last season, because he didn't want to have to pay him for two more years.I don't think the axe should drop on Rivera now. That would be an Al Davis move. Let the season play out.

This team stinks even worse that I thought it would. Week 2 and the season is already lost. Even the Fists of Steve Smith would salvage this mess.

We've got one of the worst QBs in the league. Cam was out played by Manual. His best skill is his running and we don't utilize it. Let the guy run 10+ times a week. He can probably take the pounding and even if he can't, it's not a loss.

We had a crappy secondary to begin with and now most of them are injured. Eli is going to have a field day next week. After we get dismantled by the Giants we travel to Arizona. I'd give us a 25% chance of winning there. Next up is then Minny on the road. Maybe a 45% chance of a win. Surely we can beat STL at home? If not, it will get ugly travelling to Tampa followed by SF, NE, and ATL adding 3 to the L column.

I don't think the axe should drop on Rivera now. That would be an Al Davis move. Let the season play out.
We know how it will play out. We will win a few games towards the end of the season and everyone will say well, give him one more year. This is not a bad team. They play hard and are in many games. A good coach that makes sound decisions is often the difference in close games. Our coach is 2-14 in close games. How many years to we give this staff?

Jayrok said:
The Commish said:
I would add that this team has no play makers on offense. When did Cam Newton become scared to run the ball?

I'm with BNB, let Cam do what Cam can do and see how it plays out.

Jayrok said:
The Commish said:
I don't think Shula was listening to sports talk radio. Rivera said he wanted more big plays in the passing game, and Shula obviously listened to him. The team still cannot close out games. Richardson probably didn't let Rivera go last season, because he didn't want to have to pay him for two more years.I don't think the axe should drop on Rivera now. That would be an Al Davis move. Let the season play out.
Why? You act as if we don't know what's going to happen. I suppose there's a slim chance that things change but there's NO evidence out there to suggest that things are going to be any different this year than the last two. It's even more clear to me now that Shula just doesn't get it and really has no clue on how to get an offense started. Same goes for Rivera. I don't see what waiting til the end of the season is going to do for this team. I don't really care why Richardson didn't let Rivera go. That's not my problem. Right now we have an owner who gives MAYBE two ####s about the fanbase and a fanbase tied to a team with no real recourse because of the PSLs. I've not heard anything from the fans that the national "experts" aren't saying themselves. Everyone sees what is going on and quite frankly, I don't really see the point in waiting til the end of the year to have another losing season.

New season, same Panthers. The defense looks improved, but the offense is completely unimaginative. Is it too much to ask for a reasonable mix between Chud's ridiculous complicated style and the boring run-run-pass-punt style?

Basically, it's the same Panthers team we've all known for years now. They play up or down to their competition and manage to find a way to lose in the fourth quarter. I'd like to say that I'm encouraged by the team and their ability to hang tough with what's considered one of the best teams in the NFL...but they ALWAYS do that. I'll believe that this team is truly improved when they start to put away some games earlier than November.
I'm just going to repost this every week, to save myself time.

Jayrok said:
The Commish said:
I would add that this team has no play makers on offense. When did Cam Newton become scared to run the ball?

I'm with BNB, let Cam do what Cam can do and see how it plays out.
This is where our opinions differ. I think they have plenty of playmakers on offense. Problem is, they aren't put in positions to succeed. I too agree with you guys that Cam should be allowed to play to his strengths. Play calling yesterday was the perfect example of what I am talking about. On top of that, SOMEONE has to be level headed when it comes crunch time. Every time the game's on the line this team goes all Tommy Boy and squashed their pretty little pet. This team craps the bed every time they are up by a slim margin. How about offensively being aggressive enough that we aren't up by just single digits for once??

Jayrok said:
The Commish said:
Why? You act as if we don't know what's going to happen. I suppose there's a slim chance that things change but there's NO evidence out there to suggest that things are going to be any different this year than the last two. It's even more clear to me now that Shula just doesn't get it and really has no clue on how to get an offense started. Same goes for Rivera. I don't see what waiting til the end of the season is going to do for this team. I don't really care why Richardson didn't let Rivera go. That's not my problem. Right now we have an owner who gives MAYBE two ####s about the fanbase and a fanbase tied to a team with no real recourse because of the PSLs. I've not heard anything from the fans that the national "experts" aren't saying themselves. Everyone sees what is going on and quite frankly, I don't really see the point in waiting til the end of the year to have another losing season.
No, I don't act like that. Bill Cowher once said that he would never work for an organization that fired their HC during the season. He said it's disrespectful, and I agree with him.

I don't think the axe should drop on Rivera now. That would be an Al Davis move. Let the season play out.
We know how it will play out. We will win a few games towards the end of the season and everyone will say well, give him one more year. This is not a bad team. They play hard and are in many games. A good coach that makes sound decisions is often the difference in close games. Our coach is 2-14 in close games. How many years to we give this staff?
Who is "everyone" that you speak of? I don't know a single fan that wanted Rivera to coach another season. Richardson and his staff are the ones that decided to give him one more year to turn things around. If that doesn't happen, he will be let go. So far, this year is a repeat of last year.

Who is "everyone" that you speak of? I don't know a single fan that wanted Rivera to coach another season. Richardson and his staff are the ones that decided to give him one more year to turn things around. If that doesn't happen, he will be let go. So far, this year is a repeat of last year.
In the Chip Kelly thread on here in the off season I am pretty sure most of the Panther fans wanted to see Newton in that offense. So yeah you are right not many wanted Rivera back. He is a defensive coach in an offensive league.

Cam in that offense as we see now would be unreal.

I think if he goes 0-3 going into the bye there is no chance he stays the coach. I am hoping Richardson is pulling the plug as we speak. Rivera is simply too clueless and lacks the balls to be a head coach. The not going for it on 4rth and inches last week and not going for it with 2 minutes to go with a decimated secondary is disgraceful.

It's even more clear to me now that Shula just doesn't get it and really has no clue on how to get an offense started. Same goes for Rivera.
During the presser, Rivera talked about how the defense has to get better on defending that pick play (the last play), that corners have to fight through the screen, so forth and so on. But added that "we'll get better". He seems oblivious to the fact that they should not have even been in that situation.

Users who are viewing this thread