What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (3 Viewers)

All defense.   Liking this draft and how it has shaped up. Speed at CB with Jackson and Pride.  Couple of safeties including an XFL guy.  Love what I'm hearing about Chinn. 

This defensive line is going to be stout. The Baylor DT may be a homer pick from Rhule, but he's billed as a good run stopper.

Rhule says the plan was to get young, tough defenders in the draft and address offense more through FA.

Alright, hope there's some OL help in that plan.  

Interestingly, Samuel and McCaffrey both had the same number of drops (7) last year.  I'm excited to see how Joe Brady can use Samuel personally.  With this weak O-Line, they're going to need players that can make plays after getting the ball quickly.
I need to be clear....I don't think he's garbage.  He's not.  I don't think he's playing to the potential assumed for the draft position and all I was saying was that if someone else wanted him and thought they could "change him" and they were giving up some pretty decent swag to get him, I'd jump on it because there is no guarantee the light will simply flip on for him.  It will be interesting to see how the new offense uses him.  His "specialness" (is that a word?) in college was making plays in space where he was WITHOUT QUESTION the fastest guy there.  Now all the fast guys are playing against him.  Can't be the one trick pony he was in college.

First time in the modern draft era with a team that drafts 7 players... all defense.  Rhule making history.  

Amazing.  I wonder if this was the plan (they focused all their scouting on defense) or  it was the way the board fell.
Rhule said the plan was to go defense and address some offense in FA.  But I don't know if he meant to go 100% defense. May have fell that way.  Hard to believe,  though, that they didn't see fit to grab any offensive players.  

its like they intentionally disregarded the line for some reason.  Our starters are horrible and there are literally no back ups as we sit today.  Pretty bizarre method of building a roster
The entire offense is weird.  Even at the skill positions, it is paper thin.  Putting it all on the scheme is an interesting gamble.

There was a loooooooot of OL talent in this draft....I'm a bit puzzled if I am being honest.  Guess we'll have to see how this goes in FA.  :oldunsure:  

There was a loooooooot of OL talent in this draft....I'm a bit puzzled if I am being honest.  Guess we'll have to see how this goes in FA.  :oldunsure:  
It was a bit puzzling why they didn't grab at least one OL.  Rhule now says it wasn't his intention to go all defense, it just fell that way in the end.  Plan was to go heavy on defense but ended up nothing but defense.  

They did sign a few linemen as UDFA, including B. Bowen out of Ohio State.  Not sure why Trey Adams went undrafted (medical issue I guess) but he was signed by Buffalo.  He was a projected 3-4 rounder.  Rhule loves his Baylor and Temple guys.  Signed a couple more as UDFA.  

On roster:

G - John Miller, Tyler Larsen, Chris Reed, Tyler Marz, Mike Horton (UDFA)

T  - Okung, Greg Little, Dennis Daley, Matt Kaskey, Moton, Bowen (UDFA), Sam Techlenburg (UDFA)

Andrew Norwell was signed as an UDFA and it worked out great for him.  Hopefully one or some of these guys have similar success.    

Omar Bayless from Arkansas State is an interesting UDFA signing.  Not sure if he'll make the roster but he was a exceptional in college.  93 receptions for 1,653 yards and 17 touchdowns last season.  4'6 40 at combine didn't help his draft cause, but curious to how he does at camp (assuming they have a camp).  

Omar Bayless from Arkansas State is an interesting UDFA signing.  Not sure if he'll make the roster but he was a exceptional in college.  93 receptions for 1,653 yards and 17 touchdowns last season.  4'6 40 at combine didn't help his draft cause, but curious to how he does at camp (assuming they have a camp).  
Aa long as he is used properly he could be a weapon. Makes great catches,  does well in traffic, talent for high pointing the ball. He does have trouble separating but he does make contested catches regularly. So red zone, slants, or late developing long ball plays you know he's the third option type thing. Also a good run blocker with a tendency to slack a bit if he doesn't think the play is coming his way. But it isnt an ability thing just a coaching thing. So I could see him as a credible roster addition. Ceiling is probably WR2 after he puts on a little more muscle in an NFL program.  He did lead college football in several categories last season. That says something. 

Well, not too bad for game 1.  Teddy looked decent most of the time.  Robby Anderson looks good.  Christian does Christian.  Head scratcher of a call on that last 4th down to not go with Christian.  DJ looked good.  

Going to take some time.  Defense still not that good.  

Well, not too bad for game 1.  Teddy looked decent most of the time.  Robby Anderson looks good.  Christian does Christian.  Head scratcher of a call on that last 4th down to not go with Christian.  DJ looked good.  

Going to take some time.  Defense still not that good.  
The defense was comical at times yesterday.  Brown was doubled the entire game and KK couldnt do squat.  Burns just used his speed to overrun the play, just like last year.  Shaq and the LB's looked lost.  The secondary showed a bit of promise with Chinn leading the charge.  He was laying the wood.

I wonder why we didnt throw downfield more since their secondary was really young.  Teddys medium range ball looks a bit lackluster.  I have to think once better teams get film on us they can gameplan.

I still think this is a 3-4 win team and us and the jets are the leaders in the clubhouse for Trevor

Seems like a bad call. Cam looks like Cam again while Teddy looks like a game manager. Nothing wrong with that if you're stacked otherwise, we aren't though. And now CMC needs an MRI on his ankle. This could get ugly quick.
CMC has a high ankle sprain.

Teddy is a good backup, imo.  He's solid but I don't think he'll take us to where we want to go.  

They said CMC will be out 4-6 weeks.  I wouldn't mind if they shelved him so he doesn't make it worse.  The season is a wash and no reason to over-use him this season.  

Cam did look good but that water is under the bridge at this point.  

Teddy is a good backup, imo.  He's solid but I don't think he'll take us to where we want to go.  

They said CMC will be out 4-6 weeks.  I wouldn't mind if they shelved him so he doesn't make it worse.  The season is a wash and no reason to over-use him this season.  

Cam did look good but that water is under the bridge at this point.  
I think he's a game manager. Nothing wrong with that if you can run and play defense. Defense has been a problem and now running may be. I do love our new wideout though.

I think he's a game manager. Nothing wrong with that if you can run and play defense. Defense has been a problem and now running may be. I do love our new wideout though.
Yeah the defense is a problem.  I like Jeremy Chin, though.  He's shown he can be good against the run.  Likes to hit.  Think he's going to be a good one.  

Robby Anderson has been great.  

Making of a decent team.  Shame we let two get away that we shouldn't have.  Defense has surprised me, I expected historically bad.

That was a complete win.  Good plan and execution.  Mike Davis has been great filling in for CMC.  I see them giving Davis more of a role after the return.  Nothing wrong with giving CMC more of a break in games.  

Brady's play calling has been refreshing.  

These rookie defenders are playing great.  Brown had some nice disruptive run stops.  Love watching Chinn flying around.  

I've been super hard on Carolina Owner and such, nothing against the fans, have been in stadiums vs Carolina, great fan base. But I really questioned if they could get out of the Trevor sweepstakes. I know it's early in the season but it looks like they are serious about using Teddy B as their QB, I thought he would simply be a "Bridge" to the next rookie QB in 2021/2022, that could still hold true but right now they are looking like a tough out on a lot of weeks. 

I've been super hard on Carolina Owner and such, nothing against the fans, have been in stadiums vs Carolina, great fan base. But I really questioned if they could get out of the Trevor sweepstakes. I know it's early in the season but it looks like they are serious about using Teddy B as their QB, I thought he would simply be a "Bridge" to the next rookie QB in 2021/2022, that could still hold true but right now they are looking like a tough out on a lot of weeks. 
I would bet anything they pick a qb in the draft to learn under teddy.  Teddy has been great but its obvious he has severe limitations

Doubt we'll be in a position to draft Trevor, at least not without a trade up.  Other teams are way worse than the Panthers this season.  Jets and Giants to name a couple.  I could definitely see the Jets taking a QB at #1.  They'll have a new coaching staff next season too.  

Well that was embarrassing.  For some reason we always stink on Thursdays.  Our fourth down performance is going to change the analytic stats.  Feels like 8 years since I've seen a pass caught behind the defense.

There was some discussion in the game thread last night about whether the team should have done a bigger tear-down/rebuild or go with the partial rebuild (at least in my perception) that they have. I was on board with a full rebuild because to me it isn't desirable to spend years on the cusp of relevance but also without high enough draft picks to get young cornerstone guys at QB, LT, CB (etc.). Of course a middle round draft pick can get you cornerstone guys so we'll see. I also think the team has performed better than I expected, earlier than I expected. But unless the team adds talent at some key positions soon, I wonder if they'll be facing the same full rebuild question in a couple years. 

There was some discussion in the game thread last night about whether the team should have done a bigger tear-down/rebuild or go with the partial rebuild (at least in my perception) that they have. I was on board with a full rebuild because to me it isn't desirable to spend years on the cusp of relevance but also without high enough draft picks to get young cornerstone guys at QB, LT, CB (etc.). Of course a middle round draft pick can get you cornerstone guys so we'll see. I also think the team has performed better than I expected, earlier than I expected. But unless the team adds talent at some key positions soon, I wonder if they'll be facing the same full rebuild question in a couple years. 
Some good points.  Bridgewater is not the long term answer at QB.  He just isn't.  But they aren't going to be "bad enough" to be able to get a franchise QB next spring, it seems.  They need a homerun at LT in the draft in the next year or so.  Love Jeremy Chin but our CBs just aren't that good.  Time to replace Boston and we need a new LB that can anchor for 10 seasons.  We haven't covered the pass well in a few years but seems the top priority is building an offensive line.  If a franchise QB happens to be available in the draft, great.  If not, I'd like to see them go heavy on OL.  No more trying to buy expensive FA to plug in here and there.  Build through draft.  You have Teddy for 3 years and he's serviceable.  Stop reaching for QB in the 3rd/4th (Grier).  Build OL/DB unless the franchise QB is available, imo.  

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Well that was embarrassing.  For some reason we always stink on Thursdays.  Our fourth down performance is going to change the analytic stats.  Feels like 8 years since I've seen a pass caught behind the defense.
Seems we always stink on Thursdays.  The beginning of the end for Luke came on a Thursday with a bad concussion, IIRC.  Seems the only time the Panthers played well on Thursday was during the SB run when they destroyed the cowboys in Dallas on Thanksgiving. 

Interesting result in terms of score but I never once had a sense that we'd win this game.  Guess Mahomes has that effect. There's nothing to gain by playing Christian at this point.  Now he's banged up again.  Put him back on IR. 

Not much to talk about.  Team still needs to fill holes.  Wish they'd just shelve CMC.  If there's a chance to grab a franchise QB, I hope they do it.  Teddy ain't the guy.  Won 3 games too many too soon.  Just my opinion.

From an outsiders perspective, I think Carolina is in pretty good shape going forward, much better than your typical team picking in the top-5. They have a lot of good young players, and are in a division with 2 40+ QB's. They have been a play or 2 a game away from being like 9-5. 

Need a 2021 title update.  So, forgettable season.  Thankfully CMC didn't use a lot of tire tread and should be ready to go.  Defense improved this season. Chinn and Brown had nice rookie seasons.  Can't believe Chinn didn't make the final list of rookie of the year candidates.  Bridgewater is a fine backup QB but can he take the team to the SB?  I don't see it.  

8th pick... we have several needs but OL, CB... QB

I like Surtain, Pitts and offensive linemen.  Surtain could be that lock down CB we need and seemingly a good, safe pick.  Pitts at TE could be a game changing matchup nightmare.  

Could a QB fall to 8?  

Is there a scenario where you'd want to trade up?  

Panthers staff is coaching the Senior Bowl. Should be interesting experience given the turnover on the Offensive Staff/potential loss of Brady if he gets a HC job.

Curious do any Panthers fans think Teddy is worth his current contract? I mean getting rid of Newton was a no brainer IMO, but not sure Teddy is really a franchise QB. Thoughts? 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread