Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
BassNBrew

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule the NFL

1 hour ago, ffmail4me said:

:yes: that’s absurd but also very possible. I say bring it on! 

49 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Sure why not.   But Brady ain't playing in Charlotte 

What the heck, we haven’t had anyone who call throw the ball 30 yards in years. 

I share @pantherclub's mindset about treating this as a rebuild; like he writes, what's the point of having a 6 or 7 win team next season? The only way I could see a different outcome is if Cam comes back fully health and still has his his legs, which seems unlikely given the current injury plus the accumulation of injuries. The practicalities of doing a rebuild are a little tough because there are some good pieces in place, but it would seem to begin with moving on from Cam (as much as I hate to write that). If reports on Cam are more positive, then I could see the team going with him for another year and then re-evaluating. 

As for the draft, I'd love to see a LT though if Tua being in the draft drops a top DB to 7 I could wee going that route. I prefer LT overall.

On Tua, it seems I'm higher on him than most. When healthy he's very mobile in the pocket and he has good wheels. He wasn't very mobile this year because of the injuries (especially the ankle before his major hip injury). Obviously the medical evaluation is key and there's a lot of risk. I could see passing on him if he fell to their pick (I don't think he will). But I really like him as an NFL prospect.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

I share @pantherclub's mindset about treating this as a rebuild; like he writes, what's the point of having a 6 or 7 win team next season? The only way I could see a different outcome is if Cam comes back fully health and still has his his legs, which seems unlikely given the current injury plus the accumulation of injuries. The practicalities of doing a rebuild are a little tough because there are some good pieces in place, but it would seem to begin with moving on from Cam (as much as I hate to write that). If reports on Cam are more positive, then I could see the team going with him for another year and then re-evaluating. 

As for the draft, I'd love to see a LT though if Tua being in the draft drops a top DB to 7 I could wee going that route. I prefer LT overall.

On Tua, it seems I'm higher on him than most. When healthy he's very mobile in the pocket and he has good wheels. He wasn't very mobile this year because of the injuries (especially the ankle before his major hip injury). Obviously the medical evaluation is key and there's a lot of risk. I could see passing on him if he fell to their pick (I don't think he will). But I really like him as an NFL prospect.

The thing with Cam that makes this a clustereff is that there is no way that the panthers will know if Cam is 100% by draft time in April.   So in my opinion the best case scenario would be draft a left tackle and hope he comes back.  If not worst case scenario is that you have a big piece of the puzzle for the next qb.  For the love of God do not draft a qb at 7.

33 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

For the love of God do not draft a qb at 7.

^

17 minutes ago, The Commish said:

So Rhule?

I guessing tepper went with a CEO type instead of a offensive minded coach

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I guessing tepper went with a CEO type instead of a offensive minded coach

Hopefully he can get coordinators around him to make them successful.  I have my doubt.  We'll see.

Edited by The Commish

3 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Hopefully he can get coordinators around him to make them successful.  I have my doubt.  We'll see.

Not that it means squat but the talking heads on Twitter rapaport etc are saying he is the best candidate available.  Why I don't know, maybe because he is deep in analytics 

Go watch his answers to these two questions:

https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1214564266461646858?s=12

Hard not to be excited about Rhule when Tepper agreed to fund a sports science institute to help seal the deal. That’s going beyond analytics. 

Rhule is a program builder in the Jimmy Johnson mold. This is a home run IMO. 

I also don’t believe Hurney is around beyond this draft, and he might not make it there. Rhule has carte blanche. 

Rhule is a good hire imo. I woulda been bummed if he went to the Giants.

2 hours ago, JFS171 said:

Go watch his answers to these two questions:

https://twitter.com/movethesticks/status/1214564266461646858?s=12

Hard not to be excited about Rhule when Tepper agreed to fund a sports science institute to help seal the deal. That’s going beyond analytics. 

I also don’t believe Hurney is around beyond this draft, and he might not make it there. Rhule has carte blanche. 

I like his responses and building a team like Baylor who doesn't have access to many 4/5 star recruits was something he was successful at doing.  Also like the idea of drafting an athlete and not necessarily sticking to specific positions (e.g. WR turned CB in the NFL).  

7 year contract shows Tepper has patience.  I'm cautiously optimistic. Looking forward to what he can do in terms of hiring a coaching staff. 

2 hours ago, JFS171 said:

That would be something.  Wonder if they could pull of a Hershel Walker type trade with Cam Newton.  I know I know.. but one can dream.

2 hours ago, babydemon90 said:

Rhule is a good hire imo. I woulda been bummed if he went to the Giants.

It seems odd that the Giants hired an assistant coach from NE and it wasn't Josh McDaniels.  From what I heard they never even talked to McDaniels.  

Sounds like the DC from Baylor (and previously Temple) on Rhule’s staff is coming with him - Snow. Also sounds like Sean Ryan, current Lions QBs coach, will be the new offensive coordinator. 

38 minutes ago, JFS171 said:

Sounds like the DC from Baylor (and previously Temple) on Rhule’s staff is coming with him - Snow. Also sounds like Sean Ryan, current Lions QBs coach, will be the new offensive coordinator. 

Suppose the defense can now be known as The Night’s Watch. 

• Like 2

Because my kids tuition has been going to Baylor for 4 years, I obviously am a fan, (even had some close connections to the Briles crew) but I love Rhule! I wanted him at Dallas, but I understand that JJ wanted to go with pro experience and the safer play with McCarthy. I like that hire too. But you guys got a great coach. I’m excited to see what he brings to the game and will be pulling for him to win multiple division titles and hope to play you guys in the NFC championship for years to come.😬

So glad the Giants didn’t get him, that would have been a kick in the sack. Good luck Panthers!👍🏼

• Like 3

well they have no QB, and I'm worried about CMC without Norv...they aren't retaining Norv are they? Half surprised Dallas didn't hire Norv......

22 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

well they have no QB, and I'm worried about CMC without Norv...they aren't retaining Norv are they? Half surprised Dallas didn't hire Norv......

I wouldn't worry about CMC. I'm sure he will be utilized a lot. He is the best player on the team.

Many reporters are assuming Rhule will be given a lot of control. ESPN is suggesting:

All indications are Rhule has been given complete authority and would have nobody between himself and the owner. That doesn't mean current general manager Marty Hurney won't have a say in things. But Tepper said initially that he wanted the next coach to have a say in who is hired to work with Hurney, likely more on the pro side while Hurney focuses on college scouting.

This obviously can't be much more than speculation right now, but the Panthers were apparently in a direct bidding war with the Giants, so it would make some sense. If he does have this much control the draft is going to be really interesting to watch, as is the decision with Cam.

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Many reporters are assuming Rhule will be given a lot of control. ESPN is suggesting:

This obviously can't be much more than speculation right now, but the Panthers were apparently in a direct bidding war with the Giants, so it would make some sense. If he does have this much control the draft is going to be really interesting to watch, as is the decision with Cam.

He can lock Hurney in another room after the first round?

• Like 2

My blue tinted glasses are firmly on I admit but damn after reading about him all last night I am loving this hire.  Dude seems to adapt and develop players and knows the strength of his team.   He wants to run which I like.  Hopefully that means we target some good oline help in the draft and free agency.  Once thing is for sure he is in this for the long haul. 

He seems like a CEO type that identifies talent instead of the boy wonder hot OC flavor of the week like Josh M or Eric B. 

We need to have a better draft class past the 2nd round.  Sending Hurney out for coffee after the first round may be a good start. 

29 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

My blue tinted glasses are firmly on I admit but damn after reading about him all last night I am loving this hire.  Dude seems to adapt and develop players and knows the strength of his team.   He wants to run which I like.  Hopefully that means we target some good oline help in the draft and free agency.  Once thing is for sure he is in this for the long haul. 

He seems like a CEO type that identifies talent instead of the boy wonder hot OC flavor of the week like Josh M or Eric B. 

Indeed.  Also wonder if they will target another RB in the draft to help CMC.  There are some decent RBs in this draft that could be had in rounds 3-5.

20 hours ago, Jayrok said:

It seems odd that the Giants hired an assistant coach from NE and it wasn't Josh McDaniels.  From what I heard they never even talked to McDaniels.  

McDaniels kind of tainted his reputation when he pulled out the Indy coaching job at the last minute.  If I were a GM, that would be firmly in my mind if I were talking to McDaniels.

So I am not shocked that McDaniels wasn't even considered.

10 hours ago, ncmagistrate said:

As an LSU fan and a Panthers fan I'm .... torn. We've suffered long enough with an archaic offense at LSU so my lean is: hands off, Rhule!

Edited by DAG

On 1/7/2020 at 9:04 PM, DAG said:

Doesn't look like a direct bidding war, guy didn't even interview.   Tepper got that $, top 5 salary for an unproven NFL coach.  Good luck.

On 1/8/2020 at 10:28 AM, Jayrok said:

Indeed.  Also wonder if they will target another RB in the draft to help CMC.  There are some decent RBs in this draft that could be had in rounds 3-5.

You think CMC needs help?

2 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

You think CMC needs help?

Help may not be the right word.  He doesn't need help being superman,  but a decent tailback could help carry the load and give CMC a break. 

3 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

Help may not be the right word.  He doesn't need help being superman,  but a decent tailback could help carry the load and give CMC a break. 

Why does he need help carrying the load?

Why does he need a break?

1 minute ago, BassNBrew said:

Let's get him 400+ touches every year.

Why pay a QB?  Just have him run the wildcat and carry it every play.  He's young, he'll be alright. 

Cam, our first, and whatever else Cinci wants for the first pick. Burrow is/will be legit!

• Like 1

Like the Mike Phair signing as Dline coach.  

Joe Brady has the same agent as Rhule.  The next week or so could get interesting.  

8 hours ago, Jayrok said:

Like the Mike Phair signing as Dline coach.  

Joe Brady has the same agent as Rhule.  The next week or so could get interesting.  

Tepper did it again.   Welcome mr Brady 

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 10:32 PM, BassNBrew said:

To help extend his career....  take away a few unnecessary hits or injuries....  allow him to be fresh when playoffs begin

• Like 1

LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :cry: 

• Sad 2

wow

just wow

I shouldnt be surprised but man.......

complete rebuild now for the panthers.  Trade everyone

16 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

kuechly retiring...

He has had some severe concussions. If I was him I would retire too.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, simey said:

I mean sure, yeah, especially since the Cats are not going to win anything anytime soon.  Glad he got his money. 

Damn, Luke and Morgan just got ruined somehow

Wow. As a 49er fan I know how this feels, it reminds me of when Patrick Willis walked away.

Nothing but respect for Luke as a player and a person. A class act and a throwback. The game will miss him.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, simey said:

he's smarter than I thought. Good for him. 

Either that or the Panthers are taking a pretty wild approach toward tank for trevor

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

he's still smarter than I thought. Good for him. 

Either that or the Panthers are taking a pretty wild approach toward tank for trevor

fixed.... even after all his concussions.... 

Sorry to see him go, but wishing him all the best!  Quality of life decision!  

Luke... you will be missed.  One of the best Panthers ever.  Thanks for a great run!  

Stay on as LB coach/assistant DC.