Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
BassNBrew

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule the NFL

Recommended Posts

I'm really happy for Kuechly. Sorry to see him go as a fan, but it's a smart decision.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wingnut said:

Wow. As a 49er fan I know how this feels, it reminds me of when Patrick Willis walked away.

Nothing but respect for Luke as a player and a person. A class act and a throwback. The game will miss him.

Best LB in the NFL, and a surefire future HOF'er in my opinion. Very similar to when Willis left, but the Panthers don't have anything close to a Navorro Bowman. 

Suddenly the Panthers look like a bottom 5 team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, travdogg said:

Best LB in the NFL, and a surefire future HOF'er in my opinion. Very similar to when Willis left, but the Panthers don't have anything close to a Navorro Bowman. 

Suddenly the Panthers look like a bottom 5 team.

Without a doubt.  Hopefully Shaq can slide over but I doubt it.  Its going to be a long long year all of a sudden

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So OT is probably still the right call for the 1st round pick.  But now we need more help on defense than we did this time yesterday.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they can bring back AJ Klein.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Without a doubt.  Hopefully Shaq can slide over but I doubt it.  Its going to be a long long year all of a sudden

Few years. Pretty much a rebuild at this point.

Luke Gone.

Olsen likely retiring.

Cam injured and only 1 year left.

UFA's at multiple important positions leaving.

Pretty much we have CMC, Moore, and a pile of poo.

Edited by Worm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Worm said:

Few years. Pretty much a rebuild at this point.

Luke Gone.

Olsen likely retiring.

Cam injured and only 1 year left.

UFA's at multiple important positions leaving.

Pretty much we have CMC, Moore, and a pile of poo.

Instead of just wasting CMC's career we need to do him a favor and trade him.  We are firmly in a rebuild even with a healthy cam.  With Cam we are what a 6 win at best team?  I think we end up trading and moving on from Cam because this is a rebuild and because he is going to be very expensive for a team starting over. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pantherclub said:

Instead of just wasting CMC's career we need to do him a favor and trade him.  We are firmly in a rebuild even with a healthy cam.  With Cam we are what a 6 win at best team?  I think we end up trading and moving on from Cam because this is a rebuild and because he is going to be very expensive for a team starting over. 

Unfortunately even trading Cam doesn't do much for a rebuild. You will get a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for him and that's about it.

And if you trade him who are you starting at QB? Allen or Grier? Heh. Throw Tua to the wolves?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God what a bad pick Grier was. He looks so terrible. Unless we have a miracle pick at QB we are in for a long few seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Worm said:

Unfortunately even trading Cam doesn't do much for a rebuild. You will get a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for him and that's about it.

And if you trade him who are you starting at QB? Allen or Grier? Heh. Throw Tua to the wolves?

Take the "L" in 2020 and grab one of the studs in the next draft.

 

Or let Brady and Rhule draft a suitable project and let them develop.  But starting Cam for one year just doesnt make sense

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Worm said:

Unfortunately even trading Cam doesn't do much for a rebuild. You will get a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for him and that's about it.

And if you trade him who are you starting at QB? Allen or Grier? Heh. Throw Tua to the wolves?

I could be wrong, but I doubt you get a pick like that. Remember, the new team would also have to take on the nearly 20M salary. 

Statistically speaking, he's a very average QB. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I could be wrong, but I doubt you get a pick like that. Remember, the new team would also have to take on the nearly 20M salary. 

Statistically speaking, he's a very average QB. 

There are a ton of teams that would give up a third round pick for a potentially healthy Cam Newton. A second, not sure, but a third is nothing. Especially if they thought they could re-sign/extend him. Look at what QB's are making. No-brainer for a lot of teams that are potentially in win now mode but missing that piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

I could be wrong, but I doubt you get a pick like that. Remember, the new team would also have to take on the nearly 20M salary. 

Statistically speaking, he's a very average QB. 

I bet you anything the Bears would give a 2nd (and def a 3rd) to get cam for a season and see what happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see them trading CMC.  Just don't run him into the ground the next two years.  

Also don't think they'll get much for Cam via trade.  The team is better with Cam at QB but, as mentioned above, they aren't a playoff team.  Tepper does't want mediocre and that's great.  But he's going to have to be patient while Rhule and his young coaching staff can build.  Don't sign expensive FAs for just one year.  Let guys like McCoy go.  

If you're looking for a trade to improve, how about someone who has built a decent resume that may be attractive to contending teams (e.g. Turner, Bradberry, Reid).  If it's a rebuild year then let's rebuild.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

I bet you anything the Bears would give a 2nd (and def a 3rd) to get cam for a season and see what happens.

I'd love to get a 2nd if that is possible.  Just don't let Hurney make the pick. 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

I don't see them trading CMC.  Just don't run him into the ground the next two years.  

Also don't think they'll get much for Cam via trade.  The team is better with Cam at QB but, as mentioned above, they aren't a playoff team.  Tepper does't want mediocre and that's great.  But he's going to have to be patient while Rhule and his young coaching staff can build.  Don't sign expensive FAs for just one year.  Let guys like McCoy go.  

If you're looking for a trade to improve, how about someone who has built a decent resume that may be attractive to contending teams (e.g. Turner, Bradberry, Reid).  If it's a rebuild year then let's rebuild.  

Pretty sure Bradbury is a UFA?

We really don't have many assets. Turner, Short, CMC... yikes.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Worm said:

Pretty sure Bradbury is a UFA?

We really don't have many assets. Turner, Short, CMC... yikes.

I read somewhere half of our starters are free agents.  In a nutshell.........we screwed. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Worm said:

Pretty sure Bradbury is a UFA?

We really don't have many assets. Turner, Short, CMC... yikes.

Yep.  2020 UFA.  I'm sure he'll have teams wanting him.  yeesh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only do we lose Luke and everything he brings this year, but we still have an almost $12 mil cap hit. $7 mil next year. Almost $4 mil in 2022. :( 

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Worm said:

There are a ton of teams that would give up a third round pick for a potentially healthy Cam Newton. A second, not sure, but a third is nothing. Especially if they thought they could re-sign/extend him. Look at what QB's are making. No-brainer for a lot of teams that are potentially in win now mode but missing that piece.

I get the QB value, but a third is definitely not nothing. Cam is paid in the upper half, after which, the salaries basically drop in half. 

Notable skill position players from the last couple drafts in the third round that come to mind:

 

Kupp

Hunt

Kamara

Godwin 

Golladay

Gallup

Andrews

Singltary

McClaurin

 

Im sure I missed some and didnt mention non skill position players.

If Carolina can get a third, they should take it and run. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm worried Rhule is going to grab Herbert in the first.  We have more glaring needs elsewhere imo. 

Okudah, Thomas, Simmons, D. Brown, other OT/G, safety

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Cjw_55106 said:

If Carolina can get a third, they should take it and run. 

You make some good points but as for the above... Carolina has had an awful track record with 3rd round picks.  We're hoping that changes starting this year. 

Edited by Jayrok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

I'm worried Rhule is going to grab Herbert in the first.  We have more glaring needs elsewhere imo. 

Okudah, Thomas, Simmons, D. Brown, other OT/G, safety

I’m worried about this too. Herbert would be a huge mistake imo. Hoping they look to build at the lines (especially LT) unless Okudah is available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Worm said:

God what a bad pick Grier was. He looks so terrible. Unless we have a miracle pick at QB we are in for a long few seasons.

I'm not throwing in the towel on Grier yet. Sure he played really poorly, but he also didn't have Greg Olsen or DJ Moore, and had an overmatched coaching staff after Rivera's firing. He may well be a bust, but I'm not ready to declare that after 2 starts. If they do go full rebuild, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a year as the starter. He's obviously not beating out Newton if Cam is still there though.

For what its worth Rhule loves Grier. Said he felt in the right offense he was arguably the best QB in last year's draft, while he was coach of Baylor. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, travdogg said:

 

I'm not throwing in the towel on Grier yet. Sure he played really poorly, but he also didn't have Greg Olsen or DJ Moore, and had an overmatched coaching staff after Rivera's firing. He may well be a bust, but I'm not ready to declare that after 2 starts. If they do go full rebuild, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a year as the starter. He's obviously not beating out Newton if Cam is still there though.

For what its worth Rhule loves Grier. Said he felt in the right offense he was arguably the best QB in last year's draft, while he was coach of Baylor. 

You got a link for that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, travdogg said:

For what its worth Rhule loves Grier. Said he felt in the right offense he was arguably the best QB in last year's draft, while he was coach of Baylor. 

WOW!  Is that to inflate his "draft stock" or make Cam aware he needs to step up?  

I don't know if I ever heard this before but it is certainly interesting... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Birdie048 said:

WOW!  Is that to inflate his "draft stock" or make Cam aware he needs to step up?  

I don't know if I ever heard this before but it is certainly interesting... 

I would like to see the context of this quote 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DAG said:

I'm really happy for Kuechly. Sorry to see him go as a fan, but it's a smart decision.

If I had 25M in the bank, I'd retire too.

Great player, ALWAYS a thorn in the side of the Saints.  While I'm happy he leaves being able to walk straight and with all his marbles intact, I'm even more happy the Saints won't have to game plan around him anymore.

I'm an old man and I've seen a lot of LB's.  If LK doesn't have the best instincts ever at the position, he's definitely in the conversation.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Statorama said:

If I had 25M in the bank, I'd retire too.

Great player, ALWAYS a thorn in the side of the Saints.  While I'm happy he leaves being able to walk straight and with all his marbles intact, I'm even more happy the Saints won't have to game plan around him anymore.

I'm an old man and I've seen a lot of LB's.  If LK doesn't have the best instincts ever at the position, he's definitely in the conversation.

Smartest lb I have ever seen

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jayrok said:

Also don't think they'll get much for Cam via trade. 

I feel the same.  He seems like one of those 'conditional' guys, where you get a 5th no matter what but a 4th if he plays X number of snaps.

If I were playing chicken with the CAR front office, I wouldn't blink.  A guy that's going to command a ton of dough, has a few miles on him, and an injury history seems like a buyers market to me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My son and daughter in law gave me a Kuechly jersey for Christmas this past year.  I've never been one of those NFL jersey wearing type of guys... especially at my age.  I'll always cherish it.  I had planned to put it in a frame and hang it on my home office wall.  But if/when the draft comes to Charlotte or anywhere else near, I'll be proud to wear it.  I miss Luke already.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Obviously it's not going to happen, but realistically what would it take for the Panthers to move up to one?

To bankrupt David Tepper & the Panthers ....  Like the Mike Ditka move to get Ricky Williams ... 

 

Maybe this year 2020 1st, 2021 1st, 2022 1st plus Cam & another 2nd day pick

Edited by Birdie048

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Birdie048 said:

To bankrupt David Tepper & the Panthers ....  Like the Mike Ditka move to get Ricky Williams ... 

 

Maybe this year 2020 1st, 2021 1st, 2022 1st plus Cam & another 2nd day pick

Yeah.  I thought so.  No thanks.  We have too many holes for this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Yeah.  I thought so.  No thanks.  We have too many holes for this

If you really want to gauge the value, the old Jimmy Johnson Trade Chart is a decent resource but not as effective today due to Cap changes & Rookie Wage Contracts.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Birdie048 said:

WOW!  Is that to inflate his "draft stock" or make Cam aware he needs to step up?  

I don't know if I ever heard this before but it is certainly interesting... 

The quote was before last year's draft. 

Rhule called Grier,  pro-ready, saying he reminded him of Baker Mayfield, praised his grasp of offensive concepts, pre-snap adjustments, and ability to read defenses. 

Maybe that has changed in a year, but that was how he felt April 23, 2019.

Edited by travdogg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pantherclub said:

Obviously it's not going to happen, but realistically what would it take for the Panthers to move up to one?

Can Cincy trade the pick for cash?  With as cheap as the Bengals are, if it's an option I could see them putting the pick up for auction.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, travdogg said:

The quote was before last year's draft. 

Rhule called Grier,  pro-ready, saying he reminded him of Baker Mayfield, praised his grasp of offensive concepts, pre-snap adjustments, and ability to read defenses. 

Maybe that has changed in a year, but that was how he felt April 23, 2019.

Baker Mayfield eh?

:oldunsure: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cam, CMC, 7th pick

for

1st Pick & Joe Mixon

Who says no

  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Worm said:

Cam, CMC, 7th pick

for

1st Pick & Joe Mixon

Who says no

The financial obligation of Cam after 2020 would be the detractor for Cinn FO to make that deal without Cam's viability and signing a friendly deal...  but I like the concept!  

Nice thinking out of the box!   The CAR OL would be a huge upgrade for Mixon! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Worm said:

Cam, CMC, 7th pick

for

1st Pick & Joe Mixon

Who says no

Bengals wont trade that #1 pick. Cam is damaged goods.  and we all know about RB value.

Fun idea sure.....

 

Maybe trade up with the Lions and get Tua?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Worm said:

Cam, CMC, 7th pick

for

1st Pick & Joe Mixon

Who says no

Cincy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Its a sad end for Cam in Carolina but trading him makes complete sense.  In regards to his contract its just extremely bad timing for all parties.  If he plays in 2020 and does reasonably well he is going to want to get paid and that doesnt make sense for the Panthers since they are in full fledged rebuild mode

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

Bengals wont trade that #1 pick. Cam is damaged goods.  and we all know about RB value.

Fun idea sure.....

 

Maybe trade up with the Lions and get Tua?

Nothing against Tua but I hope this does not happen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the Cam trade possibility article:

Quote

 

As it relates to Carolina, we would not be surprised if the team used the pick(s) it acquired in a hypothetical Newton deal to add a young quarterback in the 2020 NFL Draft.

There’s also some sense that could be made in Carolina tanking this coming season and targeting Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 NFL Draft. After all, Rhule is in it for the long haul. He inked a seven-year contract to coach the Panthers.

 

If this first line is true, I hope it isn't the 7th overall pick to get a QB.  A 2nd round maybe... Fromm?  

I'd rather the second paragraph be true and use this year's draft for filling other needs while Allen or Grier calls the plays. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Jayrok said:

From the Cam trade possibility article:

If this first line is true, I hope it isn't the 7th overall pick to get a QB.  A 2nd round maybe... Fromm?  

I'd rather the second paragraph be true and use this year's draft for filling other needs while Allen or Grier calls the plays. 

Fromm isn't getting past new England in the first but I really really like fromm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, pantherclub said:

Fromm isn't getting past new England in the first but I really really like fromm

not a fromm fan...dont mean he wont get picked high though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.