What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

****The 2019 Carolina Panthers Thread**** We Rhule At Losing (4 Viewers)

So OT is probably still the right call for the 1st round pick.  But now we need more help on defense than we did this time yesterday.  

Without a doubt.  Hopefully Shaq can slide over but I doubt it.  Its going to be a long long year all of a sudden
Few years. Pretty much a rebuild at this point.

Luke Gone.

Olsen likely retiring.

Cam injured and only 1 year left.

UFA's at multiple important positions leaving.

Pretty much we have CMC, Moore, and a pile of poo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few years. Pretty much a rebuild at this point.

Luke Gone.

Olsen likely retiring.

Cam injured and only 1 year left.

UFA's at multiple important positions leaving.

Pretty much we have CMC, Moore, and a pile of poo.
Instead of just wasting CMC's career we need to do him a favor and trade him.  We are firmly in a rebuild even with a healthy cam.  With Cam we are what a 6 win at best team?  I think we end up trading and moving on from Cam because this is a rebuild and because he is going to be very expensive for a team starting over. 

Instead of just wasting CMC's career we need to do him a favor and trade him.  We are firmly in a rebuild even with a healthy cam.  With Cam we are what a 6 win at best team?  I think we end up trading and moving on from Cam because this is a rebuild and because he is going to be very expensive for a team starting over. 
Unfortunately even trading Cam doesn't do much for a rebuild. You will get a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for him and that's about it.

And if you trade him who are you starting at QB? Allen or Grier? Heh. Throw Tua to the wolves?

God what a bad pick Grier was. He looks so terrible. Unless we have a miracle pick at QB we are in for a long few seasons.

Unfortunately even trading Cam doesn't do much for a rebuild. You will get a 3rd, maybe a 2nd for him and that's about it.

And if you trade him who are you starting at QB? Allen or Grier? Heh. Throw Tua to the wolves?
Take the "L" in 2020 and grab one of the studs in the next draft.

Or let Brady and Rhule draft a suitable project and let them develop.  But starting Cam for one year just doesnt make sense

I could be wrong, but I doubt you get a pick like that. Remember, the new team would also have to take on the nearly 20M salary. 

Statistically speaking, he's a very average QB. 

I could be wrong, but I doubt you get a pick like that. Remember, the new team would also have to take on the nearly 20M salary. 

There are a ton of teams that would give up a third round pick for a potentially healthy Cam Newton. A second, not sure, but a third is nothing. Especially if they thought they could re-sign/extend him. Look at what QB's are making. No-brainer for a lot of teams that are potentially in win now mode but missing that piece.

I bet you anything the Bears would give a 2nd (and def a 3rd) to get cam for a season and see what happens.

I don't see them trading CMC.  Just don't run him into the ground the next two years.  

Also don't think they'll get much for Cam via trade.  The team is better with Cam at QB but, as mentioned above, they aren't a playoff team.  Tepper does't want mediocre and that's great.  But he's going to have to be patient while Rhule and his young coaching staff can build.  Don't sign expensive FAs for just one year.  Let guys like McCoy go.  

If you're looking for a trade to improve, how about someone who has built a decent resume that may be attractive to contending teams (e.g. Turner, Bradberry, Reid).  If it's a rebuild year then let's rebuild.  

I don't see them trading CMC.  Just don't run him into the ground the next two years.  

Also don't think they'll get much for Cam via trade.  The team is better with Cam at QB but, as mentioned above, they aren't a playoff team.  Tepper does't want mediocre and that's great.  But he's going to have to be patient while Rhule and his young coaching staff can build.  Don't sign expensive FAs for just one year.  Let guys like McCoy go.  

If you're looking for a trade to improve, how about someone who has built a decent resume that may be attractive to contending teams (e.g. Turner, Bradberry, Reid).  If it's a rebuild year then let's rebuild.  
Pretty sure Bradbury is a UFA?

We really don't have many assets. Turner, Short, CMC... yikes.

Not only do we lose Luke and everything he brings this year, but we still have an almost $12 mil cap hit. $7 mil next year. Almost $4 mil in 2022. :(  

There are a ton of teams that would give up a third round pick for a potentially healthy Cam Newton. A second, not sure, but a third is nothing. Especially if they thought they could re-sign/extend him. Look at what QB's are making. No-brainer for a lot of teams that are potentially in win now mode but missing that piece.
I get the QB value, but a third is definitely not nothing. Cam is paid in the upper half, after which, the salaries basically drop in half. 

Notable skill position players from the last couple drafts in the third round that come to mind:

Kupp

Hunt

Kamara

Godwin 

Golladay

Gallup

Andrews

Singltary

McClaurin

Im sure I missed some and didnt mention non skill position players.

If Carolina can get a third, they should take it and run. 

I'm worried Rhule is going to grab Herbert in the first.  We have more glaring needs elsewhere imo. 

Okudah, Thomas, Simmons, D. Brown, other OT/G, safety

If Carolina can get a third, they should take it and run. 
You make some good points but as for the above... Carolina has had an awful track record with 3rd round picks.  We're hoping that changes starting this year. 

I'm worried Rhule is going to grab Herbert in the first.  We have more glaring needs elsewhere imo. 

Okudah, Thomas, Simmons, D. Brown, other OT/G, safety
I’m worried about this too. Herbert would be a huge mistake imo. Hoping they look to build at the lines (especially LT) unless Okudah is available. 

God what a bad pick Grier was. He looks so terrible. Unless we have a miracle pick at QB we are in for a long few seasons.
I'm not throwing in the towel on Grier yet. Sure he played really poorly, but he also didn't have Greg Olsen or DJ Moore, and had an overmatched coaching staff after Rivera's firing. He may well be a bust, but I'm not ready to declare that after 2 starts. If they do go full rebuild, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a year as the starter. He's obviously not beating out Newton if Cam is still there though.

For what its worth Rhule loves Grier. Said he felt in the right offense he was arguably the best QB in last year's draft, while he was coach of Baylor. 

I'm not throwing in the towel on Grier yet. Sure he played really poorly, but he also didn't have Greg Olsen or DJ Moore, and had an overmatched coaching staff after Rivera's firing. He may well be a bust, but I'm not ready to declare that after 2 starts. If they do go full rebuild, I wouldn't be opposed to giving him a year as the starter. He's obviously not beating out Newton if Cam is still there though.

For what its worth Rhule loves Grier. Said he felt in the right offense he was arguably the best QB in last year's draft, while he was coach of Baylor. 
You got a link for that?

WOW!  Is that to inflate his "draft stock" or make Cam aware he needs to step up?  

I don't know if I ever heard this before but it is certainly interesting... 

I'm really happy for Kuechly. Sorry to see him go as a fan, but it's a smart decision.
If I had 25M in the bank, I'd retire too.

Great player, ALWAYS a thorn in the side of the Saints.  While I'm happy he leaves being able to walk straight and with all his marbles intact, I'm even more happy the Saints won't have to game plan around him anymore.

I'm an old man and I've seen a lot of LB's.  If LK doesn't have the best instincts ever at the position, he's definitely in the conversation.

If I had 25M in the bank, I'd retire too.

Great player, ALWAYS a thorn in the side of the Saints.  While I'm happy he leaves being able to walk straight and with all his marbles intact, I'm even more happy the Saints won't have to game plan around him anymore.

I'm an old man and I've seen a lot of LB's.  If LK doesn't have the best instincts ever at the position, he's definitely in the conversation.
Smartest lb I have ever seen

Also don't think they'll get much for Cam via trade. 
I feel the same.  He seems like one of those 'conditional' guys, where you get a 5th no matter what but a 4th if he plays X number of snaps.

If I were playing chicken with the CAR front office, I wouldn't blink.  A guy that's going to command a ton of dough, has a few miles on him, and an injury history seems like a buyers market to me.

My son and daughter in law gave me a Kuechly jersey for Christmas this past year.  I've never been one of those NFL jersey wearing type of guys... especially at my age.  I'll always cherish it.  I had planned to put it in a frame and hang it on my home office wall.  But if/when the draft comes to Charlotte or anywhere else near, I'll be proud to wear it.  I miss Luke already.

Obviously it's not going to happen, but realistically what would it take for the Panthers to move up to one?
To bankrupt David Tepper & the Panthers ....  Like the Mike Ditka move to get Ricky Williams ... 

Maybe this year 2020 1st, 2021 1st, 2022 1st plus Cam & another 2nd day pick

WOW!  Is that to inflate his "draft stock" or make Cam aware he needs to step up?  

I don't know if I ever heard this before but it is certainly interesting... 
The quote was before last year's draft. 

Rhule called Grier,  pro-ready, saying he reminded him of Baker Mayfield, praised his grasp of offensive concepts, pre-snap adjustments, and ability to read defenses. 

Maybe that has changed in a year, but that was how he felt April 23, 2019.

The quote was before last year's draft. 

Rhule called Grier,  pro-ready, saying he reminded him of Baker Mayfield, praised his grasp of offensive concepts, pre-snap adjustments, and ability to read defenses. 

Maybe that has changed in a year, but that was how he felt April 23, 2019.
Baker Mayfield eh?

:oldunsure:  

Cam, CMC, 7th pick

for

1st Pick & Joe Mixon

Who says no
The financial obligation of Cam after 2020 would be the detractor for Cinn FO to make that deal without Cam's viability and signing a friendly deal...  but I like the concept!  

Nice thinking out of the box!   The CAR OL would be a huge upgrade for Mixon! 

From the Cam trade possibility article:

As it relates to Carolina, we would not be surprised if the team used the pick(s) it acquired in a hypothetical Newton deal to add a young quarterback in the 2020 NFL Draft.

There’s also some sense that could be made in Carolina tanking this coming season and targeting Clemson’s Trevor Lawrence in the 2021 NFL Draft. After all, Rhule is in it for the long haul. He inked a seven-year contract to coach the Panthers.
If this first line is true, I hope it isn't the 7th overall pick to get a QB.  A 2nd round maybe... Fromm?  

I'd rather the second paragraph be true and use this year's draft for filling other needs while Allen or Grier calls the plays. 

From the Cam trade possibility article:

If this first line is true, I hope it isn't the 7th overall pick to get a QB.  A 2nd round maybe... Fromm?  

I'd rather the second paragraph be true and use this year's draft for filling other needs while Allen or Grier calls the plays. 
Fromm isn't getting past new England in the first but I really really like fromm

Seems Joe Brady would like to see what he has already by working with Allen and Grier for this first season instead of reaching for a QB in the first couple of rounds of this draft.  But who knows what they're going to do.

Seems Joe Brady would like to see what he has already by working with Allen and Grier for this first season instead of reaching for a QB in the first couple of rounds of this draft.  But who knows what they're going to do.
I really hope we don't pick a qb just load up on line help

Joe Brady on how he would describe his offensive philosophy:

"The most important thing that we do from a system standpoint is we find out what our players do well so we can put them in position to have success. I don't believe that a system is, this is what we do regardless of who we have. Now, it's critical that we find a vision for each and every player. The offense that we're looking to have is one that applies pressure. I don't believe defenses are the only ones that apply pressure. We can do that in multiple ways, whether that's formations, whether that's personnel groupings or tempo. It's our job to exploit mismatches and move guys around to get them the matchups that we want. Applying pressure, getting your speed in space, making defenses defend every blade of grass and just let your players do what they do best."
Bet he's looking forward to working with Christian.  

Users who are viewing this thread