What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2013 WR Class = 2009 WR Class? (1 Viewer)

I think this 2013 class is extremely underrated and will compare quite nicely to the gold mine class of 2009. Draft them early and often in your rookie drafts.Allen, Patterson, Woods, Hopkins, Hunter, Williams all impress me. There won't be as many first round NFL picks amoungst this class, but I think it will turn out as good as 2009 (Crabtree, Harvin, Nicks, Maclin, Britt, and Wallace....might be missing someone). Not sure what to think of Austin yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Tavon Austin is used properly he could put up some nice numbers. I view him somewhere between Harvin (probably a stretch) and T.Y. Hilton (more likely).

I'm not sure I agree. It could also be as bad as the '06 or '08.To me, nobody was a dominant as Crabtree or as dynamic as Harvin. I don't see a Nicks, Maclin or Britt in this crowd either.

I'm not sure I agree. It could also be as bad as the '06 or '08.To me, nobody was a dominant as Crabtree or as dynamic as Harvin. I don't see a Nicks, Maclin or Britt in this crowd either.
I'm not so sure I would want another Maclin or Britt ;)

Next year's class looks a lot better than this year's imo. Marquise Lee and Sammy Watkins are both better than any WR in this draft class, and Mike Evans (Texas A&M), and Sean Price (Appalachian State) also look like potential 1st round prospects.

Next year's class looks a lot better than this year's imo. Marquise Lee and Sammy Watkins are both better than any WR in this draft class, and Mike Evans (Texas A&M), and Sean Price (Appalachian State) also look like potential 1st round prospects.
Who's that big kid from Alabama? Will he be able to come out?

Who's that big kid from Alabama? Will he be able to come out?
Amari Cooper? He's only 6'1", and no he will only be a true Sophomore next year.

Agree. This years class has decent prospects at wr, next year has elite ones who will likely go in the top 10 of the draft.

Agree. This years class has decent prospects at wr, next year has elite ones who will likely go in the top 10 of the draft.
This year's draft class has four slam dunk 1st Rounders (all undergrads) and another five-six 2nd Rounders.......I highly doubt the 2014 draft class reaches those numbers!

This year's draft class has four slam dunk 1st Rounders (all undergrads) and another five-six 2nd Rounders.......I highly doubt the 2014 draft class reaches those numbers!
huh?

huh?
I'm going on the line and saying......3 HANDS DOWN FIRST ROUNDERS - Allen, Patterson, Hopkins, 4th - Woods or Austin (one of these two will be a 1st rounder). That's FOUR.

Keep coming down on that number. From everything I can tell, there are only 2 almost sure 1st rounders. Patterson and Allen. Maybe more get taken, but its a guess right now.

You probably could have said the same thing about this class at this time last year.Those four 1st rounders this year weren't projected as 1st rounders last year. Guys will rise and produce out of nowhere.

Keep coming down on that number. From everything I can tell, there are only 2 almost sure 1st rounders. Patterson and Allen. Maybe more get taken, but its a guess right now.
What information are you going off of? Just curious?I have a source that everyone else has as well. I was watching the Senior Bowl and the announcers were talking about the week and discussions they had with NFL scouts and team GM's during the entire week. This is basically what they said...."In normal years Terrance Williams of Baylor would be a 1st round pick, but this isn't a normal year. This draft class has FOUR underclassman WR's that are consensus 'slam dunk first round picks' coming directly from the mouths of scouts and GMs".Again what are your sources? I am not a scout or a film watcher, but when I hear statements like I just posted above that came directly from scouts and GM's I listen up. Hopkins, Patterson, and Allen are all first rounders......Woods will likely sneak into the first as well.

What information are you going off of? Just curious?I have a source that everyone else has as well. I was watching the Senior Bowl and the announcers were talking about the week and discussions they had with NFL scouts and team GM's during the entire week. This is basically what they said...."In normal years Terrance Williams of Baylor would be a 1st round pick, but this isn't a normal year. This draft class has FOUR underclassman WR's that are consensus 'slam dunk first round picks' coming directly from the mouths of scouts and GMs".

Again what are your sources? I am not a scout or a film watcher, but when I hear statements like I just posted above that came directly from scouts and GM's I listen up. Hopkins, Patterson, and Allen are all first rounders......Woods will likely sneak into the first as well.
Having someone "likely sneak into" the first round is very different than a "slam dunk first rounder". Based on the dozens of different scouting websites, I also am not certain that Hopkins is a slam dunk first rounder, either.

'jonboltz said:
'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:
What information are you going off of? Just curious?I have a source that everyone else has as well. I was watching the Senior Bowl and the announcers were talking about the week and discussions they had with NFL scouts and team GM's during the entire week. This is basically what they said...."In normal years Terrance Williams of Baylor would be a 1st round pick, but this isn't a normal year. This draft class has FOUR underclassman WR's that are consensus 'slam dunk first round picks' coming directly from the mouths of scouts and GMs".

Again what are your sources? I am not a scout or a film watcher, but when I hear statements like I just posted above that came directly from scouts and GM's I listen up. Hopkins, Patterson, and Allen are all first rounders......Woods will likely sneak into the first as well.
Having someone "likely sneak into" the first round is very different than a "slam dunk first rounder". Based on the dozens of different scouting websites, I also am not certain that Hopkins is a slam dunk first rounder, either.
"Slam Dunks" were the GM and Scouts words per the announcers. 'Sneak in' were my words.....so what's your point? 4 first rounders are 4 first rounders!I don't understand why people get so pissy about this stuff

'jonboltz said:
'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:

"Slam Dunks" were the GM and Scouts words per the announcers. 'Sneak in' were my words.....so what's your point? 4 first rounders are 4 first rounders!I don't understand why people get so pissy about this stuff
:goodposting:

'jonboltz said:
'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:

1. Lol at goodposting yourself.2. People were challenging it (not "getting pissy") because it runs contrary to just about everything that most people have read. I'm still more inclined to believe that the announcer was overstating/exaggerating. There might be four WRs in the first round this year (nobody expected Jenkins to be one last year), but I really don't believe that anyone outside of Patterson or Allen are definitely going to go there.

'jonboltz said:
'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:

I think people are annoyed by the title claiming the 2012 class is as good as the 2009 class. 2009 had 4 WR's go in the first 22 picks - this one will be lucky to have 2 go that early. I actually like this class but if I had to compare it to another class I'd say it's 2012 without Blackmon. I see 8 guys who would go in first two rounds but no obvious studs.

'jonboltz said:
'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:

I think people are annoyed by the title claiming the 2012 class is as good as the 2009 class. 2009 had 4 WR's go in the first 22 picks - this one will be lucky to have 2 go that early. I actually like this class but if I had to compare it to another class I'd say it's 2012 without Blackmon. I see 8 guys who would go in first two rounds but no obvious studs.
Actually the 2009 class wasn't that great until Crabtree turned it around with Kaepernick. Harvin was the best out of all of them. DHB - afterthought. Maclin has been battling injuries for the last 2 years. This post was to stimulate good intelligent conversation....not to get peoples undies in a bunch. My God!People who come on here claiming what they say as the bible. Honestly I trust the words of the GMs and NFL Scouts over most of these chumps saying they know more than everyone else. Honestly I don't....which is why I sited GMs and NFL Scouts.....I challenge anyone to come back and post here with quotes directly from GMs or Scouts stating contrary to what I have posted. Real quotes from real GMs.

'jonboltz said:
'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:

Actually the 2009 class wasn't that great until Crabtree turned it around with Kaepernick. Harvin was the best out of all of them. DHB - afterthought. Maclin has been battling injuries for the last 2 years. This post was to stimulate good intelligent conversation....not to get peoples undies in a bunch. My God!People who come on here claiming what they say as the bible. Honestly I trust the words of the GMs and NFL Scouts over most of these chumps saying they know more than everyone else. Honestly I don't....which is why I sited GMs and NFL Scouts
Injuries have derailed that class but no one was questioning the talent. Hell, even DHB almost had a 1000 yards in his 3rd year.Crabtree has always shown the capability of being a PPR stud, just this year he got a QB who locked onto him and could throw TD's.

'jonboltz said:
'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:

It's because your comparison is ridiculous lolI don't think people are being pissy, just blown away that you would make such a crazy comparison.

'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:
What information are you going off of? Just curious?I have a source that everyone else has as well. I was watching the Senior Bowl and the announcers were talking about the week and discussions they had with NFL scouts and team GM's during the entire week. This is basically what they said...."In normal years Terrance Williams of Baylor would be a 1st round pick, but this isn't a normal year. This draft class has FOUR underclassman WR's that are consensus 'slam dunk first round picks' coming directly from the mouths of scouts and GMs".Again what are your sources? I am not a scout or a film watcher, but when I hear statements like I just posted above that came directly from scouts and GM's I listen up. Hopkins, Patterson, and Allen are all first rounders......Woods will likely sneak into the first as well.
1st let me say, I'm not pissy about you're thread or post. I simply don't agree with you. None of it is personal. You may very well be right and 4 get taken in the 1st. He'll, more than that may get taken in the 1st. I is ply don't see 4 1st round talents and I'm not really hearing or reading that many places. Let me ask for clarification on something though. Was it the announcers saying there were 4 sure 1st rounders through their "sources"? Or did you hear the actual GMs and scouts say it? Often times, the announcers are using information they've received very liberally. I wouldn't count it as gospel.Here is a link to one of the mock sites I value and trust most. As you can see they are only projecting 2 1st round WRs and they are not until picks 22 and 23. I trust this site because I know they talk to actual scouts and GMs and often have great incite. None the less, many mocks I see have less than 4 WRs going in the 1st. I'd say the most common number is 3. NFL.coms site has a mock up with only 3.

'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:
1st let me say, I'm not pissy about you're thread or post. I simply don't agree with you. None of it is personal. You may very well be right and 4 get taken in the 1st. He'll, more than that may get taken in the 1st. I is ply don't see 4 1st round talents and I'm not really hearing or reading that many places. Let me ask for clarification on something though. Was it the announcers saying there were 4 sure 1st rounders through their "sources"? Or did you hear the actual GMs and scouts say it? Often times, the announcers are using information they've received very liberally. I wouldn't count it as gospel.Here is a link to one of the mock sites I value and trust most. As you can see they are only projecting 2 1st round WRs and they are not until picks 22 and 23. I trust this site because I know they talk to actual scouts and GMs and often have great incite. None the less, many mocks I see have less than 4 WRs going in the 1st. I'd say the most common number is 3. NFL.coms site has a mock up with only 3.
There now this is the type of response I respect! No I didn't hear any words straight from the GMs or Scouts.....it was all hearsay coming from the announcers. This hearsay, however, is more than most people on here come with. Watching youtube videos or rehashing some rankings from some other source/website. I'm not saying you are doing that! Personally I trust hearsay more than just rehash.All of this being said, the main purpose of this thread was to have intelligent conversation about the talent in this class. I think currently in January the talent in this class is extremely underrated.....that's all I'm saying and I backed that up with information that supposedly came from those making the decisions in the NFL. Those in position of power. This class doesn't "mirror" the 2009 class....that's impossible. This class has a different skill set as every class does. The purpose of this thread was to open the eyes of many people who think this coming class is void of talent and not worth even a look.

'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:
There now this is the type of response I respect! No I didn't hear any words straight from the GMs or Scouts.....it was all hearsay coming from the announcers. This hearsay, however, is more than most people on here come with. Watching youtube videos or rehashing some rankings from some other source/website. I'm not saying you are doing that! Personally I trust hearsay more than just rehash.All of this being said, the main purpose of this thread was to have intelligent conversation about the talent in this class. I think currently in January the talent in this class is extremely underrated.....that's all I'm saying and I backed that up with information that supposedly came from those making the decisions in the NFL. Those in position of power. This class doesn't "mirror" the 2009 class....that's impossible. This class has a different skill set as every class does. The purpose of this thread was to open the eyes of many people who think this coming class is void of talent and not worth even a look.
I don't think people are casting this class out as a rotten egg, but pointing to no elite potential, which is usually what your looking to hit on, at least in rookie drafts. I follow tons of fantasy people/scouts/nfl people on twitter and they are all on the same page that this class is below average but deep.

Here is a link to one of the mock sites I value and trust most. As you can see they are only projecting 2 1st round WRs and they are not until picks 22 and 23. I trust this site because I know they talk to actual scouts and GMs and often have great incite.
How do you know this? Not trying to be an ###, just haven't heard this.

Here is a link to one of the mock sites I value and trust most. As you can see they are only projecting 2 1st round WRs and they are not until picks 22 and 23. I trust this site because I know they talk to actual scouts and GMs and often have great incite.
I'm sorry, but I don't trust WalterFootball at all. I've seen mock drafts by them in the past that were outright laughable. They are very low on the totem pole of mock drafts and fantasy rankings. Where does it say they use GM/Scout insider information?

I'm sorry, but I don't trust WalterFootball at all. I've seen mock drafts by them in the past that were outright laughable. They are very low on the totem pole of mock drafts and fantasy rankings. Where does it say they use GM/Scout insider information?

This is some bizarre shtick lol

'jonboltz said:
'Carl Eller said:
'jurb26 said:

This post was the first "pissy" one I read in the thread. Everything before that that wasn't agreeing with you was simply stating that they didn't agree with you. If you find a thread on this board where everybody agrees on the value of the players being discussed you might as well have the mods shut it down as it isn't of any use to anyone here.

:goodposting: I do not even check that site when researching the draft, and I check a LOT of sites.

This class has no sure fire #1 WR for NFL teams IMO. Plenty of good quality WR2's (Mike Williams, TB comes to mind), WR3's and depth for spot duty that's what makes it so tough to judge these players. I personally see 3 going in the 1st round with a chance at becoming a #1 but nothing in the realm of a truly elite prospect ex. Calvin. This is all personal opinion so don't hash out at me ha, which seems to be what this thread is turning into.

Russ Lande (FORMER NFL SCOUT) has FIVE (COUNT THEM 5!!!) WR's in the top TWENTY overall players.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFPS-Top-200-Draft-Prospects-Version-50.html
He has Nassib as his #1 overall player, so I think we can conclude why he is a FORMER NFL scout. Any list that has Nassib as #1 overall can be immediately dismissed -- I didn't even bother to look at what WRs he had listed in his top 20...
Because you are a scout? What makes your opinion more valid than a former NFL scout? Just curious. What do you do for a living?

Russ Lande (FORMER NFL SCOUT) has FIVE (COUNT THEM 5!!!) WR's in the top TWENTY overall players.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFPS-Top-200-Draft-Prospects-Version-50.html
He has Nassib as his #1 overall player, so I think we can conclude why he is a FORMER NFL scout. Any list that has Nassib as #1 overall can be immediately dismissed -- I didn't even bother to look at what WRs he had listed in his top 20...
Because you are a scout? What makes your opinion more valid than a former NFL scout? Just curious. What do you do for a living?
I don't have to be a scout to discount this guy -- the other 5-6 dozen people doing this are more likely right than this one guy. This isn't a case of Nassib being "kinda on the fringe of a top 5 or so guy", this guy is someone that nobody, anyone, has in the ballpark of the #1 overall player.Don't out-think yourself here.

I don't have to be a scout to discount this guy -- the other 5-6 dozen people doing this are more likely right than this one guy. This isn't a case of Nassib being "kinda on the fringe of a top 5 or so guy", this guy is someone that nobody, anyone, has in the ballpark of the #1 overall player.Don't out-think yourself here.
Very true, you don't have to be a scout to think differently......but the evidence is building and building that this is a VERY strong WR class.

I'm only seeing one WR in the top 20 overall.
01 Ryan Nassib QB, Syracuse 6-3 228 8.6 I Stats

02 Bjoern Werner DE, Florida State 6-4 255 8.6 D Full Scouting Report

03 Jake Matthews OT, Texas A&M 6-5 305 8.5 D Stats

04 Luke Joeckel OT, Texas A&M 6-6 310 8.4 I Full Scouting Report

05 Star Lotulelei DT, Utah 6-4 320 8.4 I Full Scouting Report

06 Chance Warmack OG, Alabama 6-3 320 8.4 I Stats

07 Keenan Allen WR, California 6-3 210 8.3 I Stats

08 Kenny Vaccaro FS, Texas 6-1 218 8.3 I Full Scouting Report

09 Dion Jordan DE, Oregon 6-7 243 8.2 I Stats

10 Taylor Lewan OT, Michigan 6-8 309 8.2 I Stats

11 Sheldon Richardson DT, Missouri 6-4 295 8.2 I Stats

12 Duke Williams CB, Nevada 6-1 200 8.2 I Stats

13 Jesse Williams DT, Alabama 6-4 320 8.2 I Full Scouting Report

14 Dee Milliner CB, Alabama 6-1 199 8.2 I Stats

15 Alec Ogletree ILB, Georgia 6-3 232 8.1 I Stats

16 Manti Te'o ILB, Notre Dame 6-2 255 8.1 I Stats

17 Jonathan Cooper OG, North Carolina 6-3 295 8.0 I Full Scouting Report

18 Tyler Eifert TE, Notre Dame 6-6 251 8 I Stats

19 Eric Fisher OT, Central Michigan 6-8 305 8 I Stats

20 Sam Montgomery DE, Louisiana State 6-5 260 8 I Stats

What list are you looking at? Allen, Patton, Austin, and Patterson are all top 20 in the list I'm looking at......Woods just missed the top 20, so I counted wrong before....but still 5 in the top 25.

What list are you looking at? Allen, Patton, Austin, and Patterson are all top 20 in the list I'm looking at......Woods just missed the top 20, so I counted wrong before....but still 5 in the top 25.
lol

That, and as of right now, they have three going in the first round.Cordarelle to the Rams at 22

Keenan Allen to the Pack at 26

Hopkins to the Ravens at 32

Not slam dunks with all after the 21st pick, but more than two. Seems the WR's are creeping up.

I agree with the OP in that four will go in the first round. Guys will have awesome 40 times and coaches will fall in love and they will creep up the board.

As for the ripping of Lande on Nassib, I saw another guy recently rank him as his top QB prospect. Don't remember who it was so don't put much in it, but there seems to be something happening with his stock. And that always baffles me how guys move up at this time of the year. WE haven't had a college football game in a month and the combine hasn't started. Why do guys move up right now? Nobody's having pro days at their colleges. So strange....

lol
:goodposting: Thanks for backing me! Yeah, seriously what list did you dig up from the grave?

That, and as of right now, they have three going in the first round.Cordarelle to the Rams at 22

Not slam dunks with all after the 21st pick, but more than two. Seems the WR's are creeping up.

I agree with the OP in that four will go in the first round. Guys will have awesome 40 times and coaches will fall in love and they will creep up the board.

As for the ripping of Lande on Nassib, I saw another guy recently rank him as his top QB prospect. Don't remember who it was so don't put much in it, but there seems to be something happening with his stock. And that always baffles me how guys move up at this time of the year. WE haven't had a college football game in a month and the combine hasn't started. Why do guys move up right now? Nobody's having pro days at their colleges. So strange....
front offices/scouting departments leaking stuff and reviewing tape working on draft boards

front offices/scouting departments leaking stuff and reviewing tape working on draft boards
That makes sense. It always amazes me when some guy shoots up the boards now, but that's not really the case. They were already high on teams boards, it's the guys guessing at the draft through mocks who are getting wind of it now and moving the guys up. So it would seem that some people are higher on Nassib than people realize. The Chiefs aren't going to be floating out some BS that they are interested in him to get the price down of some other player they really want because of the rookie wage scale. Personally, I don't see it, but somebody out there with more knowledge and skill at scouting does see it...

I'm looking at the "Rankings" on the link you provided. I cut and pasted it. What are you looking at?

Users who are viewing this thread