What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Robert Griffin III - RGIII RG3 (1 Viewer)

I know this isn't the place for this question,but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Do I start Cutler vs Lions or RG3 vs Eagles in my championship this weekend.

I know this isn't the place for this question,but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Do I start Cutler vs Lions or RG3 vs Eagles in my championship this weekend.
Neither are great options. With RG3, you ALWAYS have the risk of an in-game injury which would kill your chances. Cutler is going up against a good defense but he'll probably still get you some garbage points. I personally would go Cutler because I think his floor is higher.

"It's very difficult to have three with the reps that you get," he said. "You'd like to try to narrow it down to at least two. But like I said, if somebody said that, 'Hey, you have to play with this guy, this guy or that guy,' I'd be comfortable working with one.
Good ole Danny boy. :lmao:

Contractually it is stupid to cut the guy. The skins brass knows this. There is 0 cap savings. If someone traded a pick or player for him he could be shipped out for chemistry issues. But that's very unlikely.

They will obviously not execute the option year on his contract. He will fight with cousins for the starting job. I think he will lose that battle but who knows. McCoy will only be back if it's cheap and nobody else wants him. That I could see happening.

Mccloughan said you don't give up on young qbs. All 3 are young, so it applies to all of them. It will come down to grudens choice.

No way mccloughan is stupid enough to bad mouth any of the players in public. It hurts what little trade value they may have.

Contractually it is stupid to cut the guy. The skins brass knows this. There is 0 cap savings. If someone traded a pick or player for him he could be shipped out for chemistry issues. But that's very unlikely.

They will obviously not execute the option year on his contract. He will fight with cousins for the starting job. I think he will lose that battle but who knows. McCoy will only be back if it's cheap and nobody else wants him. That I could see happening.

Mccloughan said you don't give up on young qbs. All 3 are young, so it applies to all of them. It will come down to grudens choice.

No way mccloughan is stupid enough to bad mouth any of the players in public. It hurts what little trade value they may have.
:goodposting: It's just a GM saying the right thing. Which is super weird for The Redskins.

i don't think they can go into next season with the same triumverate and just rotate through them again. Need some fresh blood IMO.

RGIII has his chance this offseason to dedicate himself to the cerebral side of QBing. Intensive study & simulation are needed.

RG3 = fantasy QB1 next year, on the shoulders of rushing yards and YAC from talented receiving crew on short passes

RG3 is a coach and teammate killer. Look at the 2nd and 3rd answers. All about RG3. He came back quickly...blah, blah, blah. The coach made an unfortunate decision...blah, blah, blah. Out there with my guys...blah, blah, blah.

He's a perfect example of a person trying to lead with no clue that you lead first with performance, then with words. Words are meaningless if you are the 3rd best QB on the team. His guys? Nobody is going to follow him. The coaches and players don't even want him there. I know they won't for contract reasons, but I'd trade him for Foles straight up just to get him the hell out of here (although we'd probably have to send the Eagles a pick to do it)

Last edited by a moderator:
RG3 is a coach killer. Look

RG3 is a coach and teammate killer. Look at the 2nd and 3rd answers. All about RG3. He came back quickly...blah, blah, blah. The coach made an unfortunate decision...blah, blah, blah. Out there with my guys...blah, blah, blah.

He's a perfect example of a person trying to lead with no clue that you lead first with performance, then with words. Words are meaningless if you are the 3rd best QB on the team. His guys? Nobody is going to follow him. The coaches and players don't even want him there. I know they won't for contract reasons, but I'd trade him for Foles straight up just to get him the hell out of here (although we'd probably have to send the Eagles a pick to do it)
Guys you missed the part where he said he realized he has a whole lot to learn and he's willing to do that. Or that he's excited to work with Cavanaugh. Or that he's been looking back at things he can do better? Nah, those quotes don't generate a story.

RG3 is a coach killer. Look

Guys you missed the part where he said he realized he has a whole lot to learn and he's willing to do that. Or that he's excited to work with Cavanaugh. Or that he's been looking back at things he can do better? Nah, those quotes don't generate a story.
Yeah he's got a lot to learn, like how to throw a ball accurately, how to read more than one WR route, how to set his feet, how to see a blitz coming, and more than all of those...what not to say in an interview. quote... "and coach made a decision. And that was an unfortunate decision, and something we all had to go with, because that was coach's choice". You just don't say those things when you've had the last 2 years he has. Those are the words of someone trying to deflect blame. He may yet work out as an NFL QB, I just find it hard to believe it will be in DC.

did you miss all his accurate balls in 2012? Cause he threw them, all year long, short, intermediate, and long passes. Did the same at Baylor. Now whether all these injuries have affected his throwing motion is one thing, but I know he has been capable of doing it. For Skins fans, we just hope he gets that back.

Tim Brown thinks RGIII needs to work on his social skillsWashington Post; January 30, 2015

If there’s a code that one former Heisman Trophy winner should not speak ill of another, Tim Brown came dangerously close to breaking it this week. The longtime Oakland Raiders star — in Arizona to promote his Hall of Fame candidacy — appeared on ESPN 980 Thursday afternoon, where he talked about his career numbers and other assorted bits of history.

Near the end of the segment with Steve Czaban, Chris Cooley and Al Galdi, Brown was asked about Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III. (Listen here.)

“I was happy to see him come back the last couple games and play decent, play a lot better than what he had been playing,” Brown said. “And I hope that’s enough to give him another shot in D.C., and really give him the confidence that he can get this thing done.

“But I know RGIII well enough to know that he’s a little different,” Brown went on. “I mean, I know he is maybe not the brother that you’re gonna be hanging out in the locker room with. And from that standpoint, that’s something that he has to work on. If he’s going to be a leader, he has to be a leader of everybody in the locker room, and not just one or two guys in the locker room.”

“How is he when he gets together with all the Heisman guys?” Cooley asked.

“He’s … he’s tough,” Brown said, after hesitating. “He’s a different, guy, you know? And there’s no laughter, there’s no let me get in here with the boys. Everybody’s telling jokes on each other, and nobody’s trying to be mean. But you say something to him and it’s like oh wow really? Really?

“So instead of taking it further, what ends up happening is [it's like] he’s not in the room,” Brown said. “So you end up talking around him the whole time. And that’s not cool. Because now you’re literally having to talk around a guy, [when] everybody else is in here having fun and having a jovial time. So I think that’s just something that he has to understand. This is a team sport you’re playing. It’s not golf . If it was golf, brother, I’d say go for it, do what you do. But if you’re going to play a team sport, and you’re going to be the leader of a team sport, you’ve got to loosen up a little bit and be a part of the team.”

That quote will definitely make things much less awkward the next time all the Heisman guys get together.

I am a big RG3 fan, but at this point I agree with what Reid was saying. Even though his messages are usually positive and spiritually based, I'd rather him post NOTHING until he starts playing well and helping the franchise win. Right now, less is more IMO.

Rotoworld:

Coach Jay Gruden said Robert Griffin III will enter the season as the Redskins' starter.
"We will go into the season with Robert as the No. 1 guy," Gruden said Wednesday. The coach re-watched all of RGIII's tape following the season and seems to be comfortable with him atop the depth chart ahead of Kirk Cousins. The Redskins are armed with the No. 5 overall pick in April's draft, but need to attack the offensive line and all three levels of the defense. RGIII will have a short leash. But if he's healthy -- a big "if" -- RGII could be a value pick late in fantasy drafts.

Source: Zac Boyer on Twitter
Feb 18 - 1:10 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim believes coach Jay Gruden wants to get rid of Robert Griffin III

"If it were up to the coach, Griffin would be gone," Keim said. Griffin was named the starter in February, but that decision likely came from above Gruden's head. Griffin will be given every opportunity to solidify himself in the Redskins' lineup, but without the full support of the head coach, it is not a given Griffin will hold the starting job all season.

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 21 - 12:48 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim believes coach Jay Gruden wants to get rid of Robert Griffin III

"If it were up to the coach, Griffin would be gone," Keim said. Griffin was named the starter in February, but that decision likely came from above Gruden's head. Griffin will be given every opportunity to solidify himself in the Redskins' lineup, but without the full support of the head coach, it is not a given Griffin will hold the starting job all season.

Source: ESPN.com

wow. how far he's fallen.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim believes coach Jay Gruden wants to get rid of Robert Griffin III"If it were up to the coach, Griffin would be gone," Keim said. Griffin was named the starter in February, but that decision likely came from above Gruden's head. Griffin will be given every opportunity to solidify himself in the Redskins' lineup, but without the full support of the head coach, it is not a given Griffin will hold the starting job all season.Source: ESPN.com

wow. how far he's fallen.
Wasting another season trying to make him good, disaster.

This is silly. Some random reporter has doubts about RGIII, which he parlays into an off-season article with no quotes or insider information. Somebody else in DC might write a piece about "RGIII looks great in the gym, will be back as fantasy QB1" and that would be just as insightful.

The last thing Gruden said (and I intensely dislike Gruden) was: "RGIII is our starter." There has been nothing new since.

This is silly. Some random reporter has doubts about RGIII, which he parlays into an off-season article with no quotes or insider information. Somebody else in DC might write a piece about "RGIII looks great in the gym, will be back as fantasy QB1" and that would be just as insightful.

The last thing Gruden said (and I intensely dislike Gruden) was: "RGIII is our starter." There has been nothing new since.
I think the writing's on the wall here. I doubt this ends well.

Everyone agrees the whole QB situation was a mess last year. So what does Washington do? Bring back all 3 QB's and start the exact same process over again? I don't know what the answer is for the QB mess in DC, but don't you think they should have made some sort of change? Even at the #3 spot? Baffling to me.

Gruden's actions throughout almost the entire 2014 season point to this being nothing more than February coach speak. If you are hanging out on an Ff board talking nfl in March, should be obvious to you.

Everyone agrees the whole QB situation was a mess last year. So what does Washington do? Bring back all 3 QB's and start the exact same process over again? I don't know what the answer is for the QB mess in DC, but don't you think they should have made some sort of change? Even at the #3 spot? Baffling to me.
Gruden has his hands tied - owner doesn't want the Griffin trade to be a bust and Gruden feels he has to coddle Griffin still by calling him the starter even though he hasn't earned it.

I like to look back and see if there were red flags people overlooked and remembered this one:

He's got a little bit of a selfish streak, too. Everybody was laying on Cam, but for some reason this guy has become gloves off. He doesn't treat anybody good." Another scout also questioned the way Griffin deals with people.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/draftcaps19-vn4vq55-148026515.html
Doug Farrar had this to say about those comments at the time:

If there's one part of the draft I really can't stand, it's the part where scouts -- both amateur and professional -- step down from their real jobs to engage in amateur psychology and try to determine whether a college prospect has certain mental or emotional issues that will impact his NFL future.
He mentions this from Cam Newton's scouting report from Pro Football Weekly's 2011 Draft Guide:

"Very disingenuous — has a fake smile, comes off as very scripted and has a selfish, me-first makeup. Always knows where the cameras are and plays to them. Has an enormous ego with a sense of entitlement that continually invites trouble and makes him believe he is above the law — does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room . . . Lacks accountability, focus and trustworthiness — is not punctual, seeks shortcuts and sets a bad example. Immature and has had issues with authority. Not dependable."
I don't think that was very off his first couple seasons. However, people can change and Cam seems much more mature today, specifically in this interview from 2013.

I haven't seen this kind of self-awareness from Griffin yet.

Coming from a place of conceit and condescension, self-awareness doesn't happen without humbling and defeat. That can't happen unless Gruden says outright in the preseason that Gruffin is the backup, or he cuts or trades him. If the owner won't allow that then they are doomed to repeat the past.

None of these guys are blameless, but every QB under Gruden regressed last year. I think Gruden is a major problem here.

RGIII will have another lost year under Gruden. Luckily, he will then be a free agent. Wonder how bad he'd look in Philadelphia come 2016.

The context sounds like he is inferring it on his own rather than hearing it from a source, but Keim is more than just some random reporter as far as Skins stuff - he is usually pretty on top of things. It definitely seemed to me like Gruden would have preferred someone else last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YFblmBuxi0

I haven't seen this kind of self-awareness from Griffin yet.
Or much of any self-awareness from him really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

The Redskins are undecided on Robert Griffin III's fifth-year team option for 2016.
"We’ve had some early discussion on it," new GM Scot McCloughan said. "We’re still talking it through." The team has until May 3 to decide on the non-guaranteed, $16 million option. It's hard to see owner Dan Snyder letting McCloughan and coach Jay Gruden decide "no."

Source: CSN Washington
Mar 24 - 5:03 PM

Rotoworld:

Coach Jay Gruden confirmed Robert Griffin has the starting job "right now."

Assuming the Redskins don't shock the world and snag a quarterback at No. 5 overall, Griffin will run as the first-string quarterback through the offseason program. It doesn't necessarily mean he'll be under center come Week 1. Gruden, who benched a wildly ineffective RG3 last year, won't hesitate to turn to Kirk Cousins or Colt McCoy. "He's got the starting job right now," Gruden said Monday. "Hopefully he takes it and runs with it."

Related: Colt McCoy, Kirk Cousins

Source: CSN Washington
Mar 26 - 7:48 AM

Users who are viewing this thread