What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Robert Griffin III - RGIII RG3 (1 Viewer)

RGIII has Alex Smith written all over him. Lots of changing circumstances, that slumped shoulder look...I know its early but I think his career as an elite qb is over. He looks terrible, his confidence appears shot....maybe he turns it around. Hopefully he does as I have him in dynasty but he has a lot of warning signs around him right now

RGIII has Alex Smith written all over him. Lots of changing circumstances, that slumped shoulder look...I know its early but I think his career as an elite qb is over. He looks terrible, his confidence appears shot....maybe he turns it around. Hopefully he does as I have him in dynasty but he has a lot of warning signs around him right now
Except that Smith never flashed the same level of talent to begin with. If this were RG3's first year in the league and he was not coming back from a serious knee injury, I might agree with you. However, I doubt this season will be a fatal blow to his self confidence from which he can't recover. You could be right, we will see. I own him in three leagues and although I am little uneasy, I wouldn't consider selling him at a discount at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe it's the homer in me but I just don't understand people want to write off RGIII already. The guy had one of the best rookie season of all time last and less than a year removed from major knee surgery. Has he played poorly this year? Absolutely. But look at the rest of the team! The special teams and defense are two of the worst units in the ENTIRE LEAGUE but offense is all Griffin's fault? I think he rights the ship once he's gets competent coaching and is 100% healthy.

Maybe it's the homer in me but I just don't understand people want to write off RGIII already. The guy had one of the best rookie season of all time last and less than a year removed from major knee surgery. Has he played poorly this year? Absolutely. But look at the rest of the team! The special teams and defense are two of the worst units in the ENTIRE LEAGUE but offense is all Griffin's fault? I think he rights the ship once he's gets competent coaching and is 100% healthy.
Agreed. RG3 is not the only reason this team has gone completely off the rails this year, in fact, he's probably far from the reason. Alot of the same thing's he's going through this year are the same things Cam Newton was going through last year. Now look at Cam. Plus like you said, RG3 is less than a year removed from major knee surgery. He's a hard worker and will get this turned around. He'll be fine.

Didn't watch the game. How bad was RG3? Benchworthy for ROS like bad?
Pretty much as bad as he was in a few other games this season (DAL, DEN, PHI). But, he's had good games, too. I wouldn't be surprised if he has 250/2/0 with another 60 yards rushing next week at Atlanta. Then again, the entire team could implode this week and not even gain a first down next week.

He's just been way too unpredictable this season for fantasy purposes. I wouldn't write him off for next week, but I also wouldn't start him with confidence.

Shanahan not willing to commit right now to Griffin being the starter this Sunday. He claims the number of sacks recently is a concern and he wants Griffin to be healthy headed into the offseason. Shanahan said he'll have a decision in a couple days.

Lol at blaming this on his health.

RGIII is NOT a quarterback. Can he throw the ball 70 yards on a rope? Yes. Can he make an accurate pass off of play action? Provided he's a threat to run, yes. Can he do it w/o the threat to run, absolutely not. Not necessarily his fault as he's never been required to be a pocket passer until this year. How did that work out?

He is NEVER going to be 22 again. He won't last as a runner which is REQUIRED for him to be able to make that patented PA crossing pattern he completes 10 times a game.

Have any of you ever watched football before? Grown men built like trucks don't last as RBs in this league, do you really expect a player to run like a running back 10+ Times a game AND leave himself open to direct shots while he's standing still attempting to progress his reads?

Lol, I guess I'll have to wait yet another season for you dopes to come around.

Shanahan is trying to be as disruptive as possible in his last few days in Washington...

If Shanny is still there on Sunday, Cousins starts.

dgreen said:
Shanahan not willing to commit right now to Griffin being the starter this Sunday. He claims the number of sacks recently is a concern and he wants Griffin to be healthy headed into the offseason. Shanahan said he'll have a decision in a couple days.
Begging to be fired.

killface said:
RGIII has Alex Smith written all over him. Lots of changing circumstances, that slumped shoulder look...I know its early but I think his career as an elite qb is over.
LOL. Is this what is going on in this thread?

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Jeff Darlington reports Redskins coach Mike Shanahan has yet to inform Robert Griffin III if he'll be the team's Week 15 starter.
Shanahan is having a tug-of-war with owner Daniel Snyder, and Griffin is stuck in the middle. Sitting RGIII for Weeks 15-17 would serve no practical purpose — RGIII needs the reps far more than he needs to be shielded from injury — but it's growing harder to predict what might happen next in Washington. The only thing that's clear is that Shanny's exit is a fait accompli. Even if Griffin keeps his starting job for Week 15, he'd be a tough sell as a QB1 with Washington's offense completely in the tank. No team needs the offseason to get here more than the Redskins.

Related: Kirk Cousins

Source: Jeff Darlington on Twitter

Rotoworld:

The Washington Post reports Redskins owner Daniel Snyder has no plans to interfere with the team's Week 15 quarterback decision.
It's been widely speculated that coach Mike Shanahan's bizarre Monday soliloquy about benching Robert Griffin III for Weeks 15-17 to preserve his health was a power play aimed at getting Snyder to intervene, either via overruling Shanahan or firing him. The owner isn't taking the bait. Practically begging to be fired, Shanny will now have to look for another way to ruffle his boss' feathers. He's supposedly going to announce his quarterback decision on Wednesday. The situation in Washington is deteriorating into a pathetic melodrama.

Source: Washington Post

I want to make this clear--but I am not a Shanahan supporter at all--in fact--I pretty much despise the dude. However, I have zero problem with RG3 getting benched if that is what indeed happens. What has he done this season to deserve starting? His team is 3-10--many of those games where over by halftime with his poor play. Even if RG3 is the face of the franchise-- one of the ways that Washington can improve is by increasing Cousins value in some meaningless games--and then trading him in the off season. If cousins goes off--there are plenty of teams that need qbs that would be willing to give up a lot for him. It's a win-win situation for the Redskins--if cousins starts--and plays terribly---he goes back to being a backup--and nobody thinks twice. If he goes off--you trade him away for some much needed roster depth.

Rotoworld:

According to the NFL Network, Robert Griffin III will be inactive for Sunday's game against the Falcons.

Kirk Cousins will start and Rex Grossman will back him up. It's all part of coach Mike Shanahan's alleged plan to keep Griffin healthy for the offseason program instead of getting him valuable in-season reps. Shanahan also earlier promised that if RG3 was benched, it would be for each of the final three games -- not just Week 15. At this point, only Daniel Snyder ponying up the money to fire Shanahan can save Griffin from being in street clothes until 2014. That's possible, but RG3 re-draft owners in need of a roster spot won't be gambling too much by simply cutting him.

Related: Rex Grossman, Kirk Cousins

Rotoworld:

A Redskins player says that "prevention of franchise quarterback getting hurt" was the explanation given in a team meeting regarding Robert Griffin III's benching.

Coach Mike Shanahan allowed Griffin to play in snowy conditions on an awful field against the Chiefs' elite defense last week. This week, RG3 will be inactive when the Redskins play at Atlanta's dome. No matter how Shanny tries to rationalize it, his decision to sit Griffin out reeks of personal vendettas and a desire to be fired. He's scheduled to explain himself to the media later this afternoon.

So it was okay for RG3 to play on a #### field in the snow, but he can't play on field turf in a dome? Got it!

I want to make this clear--but I am not a Shanahan supporter at all--in fact--I pretty much despise the dude. However, I have zero problem with RG3 getting benched if that is what indeed happens. What has he done this season to deserve starting? His team is 3-10--many of those games where over by halftime with his poor play. Even if RG3 is the face of the franchise-- one of the ways that Washington can improve is by increasing Cousins value in some meaningless games--and then trading him in the off season. If cousins goes off--there are plenty of teams that need qbs that would be willing to give up a lot for him. It's a win-win situation for the Redskins--if cousins starts--and plays terribly---he goes back to being a backup--and nobody thinks twice. If he goes off--you trade him away for some much needed roster depth.
Another way they can improve is by getting RGIII as much game experience as they can.

That being said, the biggest issue is that this is not how they do things in the NFL. You don't bench a starter (especially one this young) when you are out of playoff contention. The fact that Shanahan is doing so is a sign of disrespect, as if he is saying RGIII is the reason they are losing. Why isn't Matt Ryan sitting? Why wasn't Matt Stafford benched last year? Both of those guys were/are QB'ing losing teams, yet their coaches continued to play them.

Whether you agree with the "logic" behind Shanahan benching RGIII, it's a sign that one of them is going to have to be gone next year. A HC can't do that to his QB & expect the two men to successfully work together after the fact.

New here. Last year everyone was in love with RGIII and Luck and wrote off Newton. I will be buying RGIII is the offseason.

FML

My two QB's are Rodgers and RG3, and waiver wire is bare. Anyone think Cousins worth a shot?
I think that cousins against atlanta is probably not a bad play at all taking into account your circumstance. I'd run and grab him
You can't get too many matchups better than going against ATL. I'll be glued to that game this week. I need a replacement for Gomer Manning. It looks like nothing's going to change in that ####hole and Gomer is doomed with KillDrive at OC.

So it was okay for RG3 to play on a #### field in the snow, but he can't play on field turf in a dome? Got it!
you forgot the part where Cousins gets told he's an expendable non-franchise player, so he can be afforded to assume that risk of playing in a dome.
Well the rest of the team is expendable, right? They're all playing, while RG3 is sitting because he could get hurt. I better not get out of bed tomorrow. I could get hurt.

Another way they can improve is by getting RGIII as much game experience as they can.

That being said, the biggest issue is that this is not how they do things in the NFL. You don't bench a starter (especially one this young) when you are out of playoff contention. The fact that Shanahan is doing so is a sign of disrespect, as if he is saying RGIII is the reason they are losing. Why isn't Matt Ryan sitting? Why wasn't Matt Stafford benched last year? Both of those guys were/are QB'ing losing teams, yet their coaches continued to play them.

Whether you agree with the "logic" behind Shanahan benching RGIII, it's a sign that one of them is going to have to be gone next year. A HC can't do that to his QB & expect the two men to successfully work together after the fact.
In 2003 the Chargers benched Brees for Flutie when the team was 1-7. He lived.

Rotoworld:

A Redskins player says that "prevention of franchise quarterback getting hurt" was the explanation given in a team meeting regarding Robert Griffin III's benching.

Coach Mike Shanahan allowed Griffin to play in snowy conditions on an awful field against the Chiefs' elite defense last week. This week, RG3 will be inactive when the Redskins play at Atlanta's dome. No matter how Shanny tries to rationalize it, his decision to sit Griffin out reeks of personal vendettas and a desire to be fired. He's scheduled to explain himself to the media later this afternoon.

in 2003, IIRC, Brees sat out a stretch of games in the middle of the season, because they thought Flutie could do better. When Flutie didn't do much better, & Brees came back in for the last 3-4 games. He wasn't benched to "protect him from injury," as Shanahan is trying to portray the situation with RGIII.

RGIII isn't hurt (not anymore than he was earlier in the year), and there's no hope for the playoffs. Benching him is going to destroy the relationship (whatever it is) between he and Shanahan.

in 2003, IIRC, Brees sat out a stretch of games in the middle of the season, because they thought Flutie could do better. When Flutie didn't do much better, & Brees came back in for the last 3-4 games. He wasn't benched to "protect him from injury," as Shanahan is trying to portray the situation with RGIII.

RGIII isn't hurt (not anymore than he was earlier in the year), and there's no hope for the playoffs. Benching him is going to destroy the relationship (whatever it is) between he and Shanahan.
That is correct, he did get the job back for the last 3 games. With that team though they were completely out of it at 1-7. If they weren't dead last in defense they were close to it. I happened to become of fan that year since I moved to CA in 2003 so I remember it well.

I admit it's a #### thing to do to RG3 but he'll get over it and maybe it will even motivate him more next year.

This is a good decision.

In hindsight, yes, Griffin should have not even played last week, OR even the whole year. I do not know about you, but I do not see a 100% griffin (have you seen him scramble to the left, eww), and we can partly blame.....wait for it..... Adrian Peterson!! You have also had opposing players say that they know R.Griffin is not 100%. Griffin will never admit it this, because he is proud, and also has a ego. Who wants to admit that they came back too early? Please remember Griffin was injured in January (was it?) of last year. Typically, this takes 1 year to come back 100%. Not only does it seem like it will take Griffin about 1 year to get healthy, but it is important to note that was his SECOND catastophic knee injury (not the first like Peterson). Griffin and/or the organization placed too much pressure for Griffin to return this year, which ultimately was a mistake. Yeah, it's taken the Redskins until week 15 of the season to realize it but better late than never.

Second, his play was staight up average at best. Sometimes sitting on the sidelines, even if for 3 games, can humble you, and can make you see the game differently. Call it "benched so he is not injured" but you can also call it "benched for ineffectiveness" because that was Griffen this year--ineffective.

He needs humble pie and he also needs to learn to read defenses once gain, which are things he could/did not work on in the offseason becuase he pressured himself to return this season (tons of rehab). This offseason he can learn his craft (without having to worry about rehabbing 24/7) and hopefully not having him suck for 3 more games for this season, will keep his confidence from crumbling.

Robert, take this time as a learning lesson, learn your craft, be/get humble and most of all....get healthy.

Rotoworld:

Coach Mike Shanahan said owner Daniel Snyder and GM Bruce Allen were "100 percent" on board with his decision to bench Robert Griffin III for the remainder of the season.
Shanahan would probably rather us call it the "preservation" of RG3. Per Shanahan, discussions about sitting RG3 down for the remainder of the season began before last week's game against the Chiefs. Shanahan also denied that he was trying to provoke Snyder in order to get fired. RG3 isn't going to play in the final three games and will be a game-day inactive. "I expressed my desire to play," Griffin said. "He explained to me his reasoning, and at the end of the day, coach’s decision is what we go with." Griffin is obviously sour -- and rightfully so. He's safe to drop across the board in re-draft leagues.

Source: Washington Post

Jason La Canfora is a former Redskin beat reporter for the Washington Post; a pretty good one while he was doing that. He's been a nationwide "insider" for several years now and still maintains ties with Redskin players and people in the front office.

His take

“No, it’s bizarre, it’s absolutely bizarre theater,” La Canfora told Geronimo. “It’s like must-see TV. If their games were half as compelling as their press conferences, they’d be alright. I’ve never seen anything like it, Don. You have a guy who is, I’ve never seen anyone so willing to just passively aggressively push an owner’s buttons, try to keep moving the meter, begging this guy to fire him. It’s unbelievable.”

“I feel bad for Dan Snyder and I covered that team for a while, and I think it would shock a lot of people to say that, but I truly feel like he pretty much came as close as he maybe could ever come to doing it the right way, still somewhat on his terms, and it has become a complete abomination.

“And the idea that he is the primary perpetrator blows my mind, because there are plenty of people in that building who don’t like Dan Snyder, who feel like in the past he’s really, really messed stuff up, being even those guys were like ‘Dude, Dan was at arm’s length for this whole regime.’ Dan heard from Mike what Mike wanted to tell him. And Dan would have to go through Bruce sometimes to get information back-and-forth to Mike, and it was just a very cold business relationship.

“And Mike had an ironclad contract. And if Mike didn’t want a certain guy in the building, if Mike didn’t want a certain trade to be made – whether it be for the 53rd man on the roster or absolutely for the starting quarterback – there was no way it was gonna happen. And if you tried to usurp his power, and you tried to circumvent his contract, or tried to do something on the personnel side without him okay’ing it, then he would have that contract to show to his lawyer and say ‘Fire me right now then.’

“And back when the RGIII trade was made, it would have been $21 million left on his deal. ‘Okay Dan, you want to make this trade, great. I’m not cool with it, so we need to have a talk about how we move forward.’

“I mean, this guy had complete control of the organization to the point where his son is the offensive coordinator, he gets his son a $1.5 million contract just for 2014, money that he’ll get paid to do nothing, it’s all cronyism up and down the staff. It’s a one-man army, and now suddenly that it’s fallen apart, it was everybody else but Mike Shanahan. Okay.”
If you want to know what's going on with Robert Griffin you'll have to wait until Shanahan is fired or quits (100% chance he's gone), see who the new coach is, and then start figuring it out. What's going on now is just Shanahan leaking his ###-covering to the national media so that, to those not following the Reskins, he doesn't look like such a failure. A week ago he was blaming Snyder; now he's blaming Griffin; when the fact is he had complete control of personnel and coaching and has failed as a result.

No, he's not.

Per a source close to Griffin, the second-year quarterback is disappointed but not angry.

“Where they got that I don’t know,” the source said of the report that surfaced Thursday night on NFL Network. “No competitor would be happy but to say he’s angry makes for good TV, I guess.”

The source added that Griffin has “accepted the decision,” even though Griffin still wanted to play.

“He feels like he let his teammates down and he wanted to finish the season with them,” the source said. “Now he will just do it from the sideline and through practices.”

This assumes that coach Mike Shanahan will even let Griffin be on the sidelines for the final three games. The next move in the protracted game of checkers/chess/chicken could be to pull a Josh Freeman-style banishment of G

Rotoworld:

Coach Mike Shanahan insisted Monday that Robert Griffin III is still "clearly" the Redskins' starting quarterback.

Shanahan emphasized that Kirk Cousins' 381-yard, three-touchdown effort in Sunday's loss to Atlanta was just "one game," and Griffin is in no danger of losing his long-term job. Of course, Shanahan himself may not even be around long term, so the real decision could be left up to a different regime if owner Dan Snyder fires Shanny. Shanahan also stressed Monday that he has no plans to resign as the Redskins' head coach. RG3 is not expected to play in Week 16 or 17. Washington faces Dallas next.

Source: Chris Russell on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread