What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JJ Watt (1 Viewer)

matttyl

Footballguy
Where would you draft Watt in a start up dynasty IDP draft right now (a draft with both offensive and defensive players, I mean). Is he a 4th round guy? He was roughly 5 PPG over the next best DL in my league this year (Charles Johnson), and maybe most impressive is that he had only 2 weeks below 5 points. He would have been the 2nd best LINEBACKER in my league last year (3 points for a sack, 1 point bonus at 2nd and 3rd sack).I have the #3 rookie pick and I'm very much thinking of offering it straight up for him. I also have Charles Johnson and Suggs and we only start 2 DLs each week, but that kinda PPG advantage that he has over everyone else is incredible!

And CRAZY scoring system! 3.5 points for a solo and 2.5 points for an assisted tackle for DLs with are both 1.25 points more then what's credited to LBs and DBs. I might do the same thing and take him in the 2nd in that scoring system. Our league has 1 point for solos and .5 for assisted tackles for every defensive position, but 3 points for a sack, and a 2 point bonus for every sack after the 1st one.I'm thinking he'd be around a 4th rounder value-wise in my scoring system, just seeing what others think.

Just to update this, I traded the #3 rookie pick this year straight up for Watt in my dynasty league. The #3 could end up being a great offensive player, but could also be a total bust. At least (I think) I know what I'm getting in Watt.

'matttyl said:
I took him at 1.11 in my 16 Team IDP league. He was the highest scoring player last year.
Wait, you're saying you took him as the 11th overall player?! As in your first pick off the board?!
Ouch! DLinemen have to be the most inconsistent scorers in FF.
And I thought I overpaid giving up the #3 overall rookie pick this year, but the #11 OVERALL pick might be a bit much! I understand that he's like the Gronk of DLs, but still....you passed on AJ Green for him?!

'matttyl said:
I took him at 1.11 in my 16 Team IDP league. He was the highest scoring player last year.
Wait, you're saying you took him as the 11th overall player?! As in your first pick off the board?!
And I thought I overpaid giving up the #3 overall rookie pick this year, but the #11 OVERALL pick might be a bit much! I understand that he's like the Gronk of DLs, but still....you passed on AJ Green for him?!
Where did the passing on AJ Green part come from?Depending on scoring, roster size and league size there is nothing crazy about this at all. Your replies are short-sighted and assume every league is exactly like your's. You have to do a league assesment of player values and how the drop off at certain positions. To lock-up a high scoring guy like Watt is probably a better pick than taking a flier on a guy like D. McFadden who could be out of the league in 3 years.The biggest mistake in a dynasty draft you can make is taking a guy early who will be out of the league (Or line-up) in 2 yearsFWIW- I was in a 16 team start-up last year where JPP went 1.13. That team made the play-offs.

'matttyl said:
Where did the passing on AJ Green part come from?Depending on scoring, roster size and league size there is nothing crazy about this at all. Your replies are short-sighted and assume every league is exactly like your's. You have to do a league assesment of player values and how the drop off at certain positions. To lock-up a high scoring guy like Watt is probably a better pick than taking a flier on a guy like D. McFadden who could be out of the league in 3 years.The biggest mistake in a dynasty draft you can make is taking a guy early who will be out of the league (Or line-up) in 2 yearsFWIW- I was in a 16 team start-up last year where JPP went 1.13. That team made the play-offs.
And FWIW, same exact draft Banemorth is talking about where he took Watt 11th overall I took JPP 33rd overall although I'm in a different conference than he is so it was a separate draft in the same league (basically 2 16 team leagues with separate player pools that are combined to form one 32 team league). It's not crazy at all. As he said, Watt was the highest scoring player in that league's scoring system last year ahead of even the guys like Brees and Rodgers and had almost a 10 point advantage over the next best DE (which was JPP). The gap between Watt and the rest of the pack was vastly larger than say that of Graham/Gronk and the rest of the TEs and you see those two guys go 1st round in lots of drafts. Also FWIW, I believe Watt went 12th in the other conference in that same league's draft so clearly Banemorth wasn't the only one feeling himself some JJ Watt to anchor his dynasty team

Last edited by a moderator:
Where did the passing on AJ Green part come from?
He posted his draft on this page. Green went at #12 in that draft. I also see that his league awards crazy points for sacks, so it's different than most leagues. I agree that Watt can get a great team anchor, though. I'm just glad I got him as my defensive anchor to go along with my other offense ones.

Any worry about O lines selling out to stop Watt? Seems like Chargers did a good job containing him last night, as did the Pats in the playoffs last year. The Colts, once they had tape on him from their first game, were really able to slow him down week 17 last year as well. Any worry that people may have over paid for a DL who's getting constant double teams now?

matttyl said:
Any worry about O lines selling out to stop Watt? Seems like Chargers did a good job containing him last night, as did the Pats in the playoffs last year. The Colts, once they had tape on him from their first game, were really able to slow him down week 17 last year as well. Any worry that people may have over paid for a DL who's getting constant double teams now?
Not overly. Watt's stat sheet didn't show up huge, but he was an impact in the game. The stats will be there over time, he's still getting penetration regularly. I expected his fantasy numbers to fall off some from last year, but if there was a fantasy redraft today, he's still the top IDP to go in my mind.

Here's PFF's grading:

[SIZE=small]Watt A Quiet Day?[/SIZE]

Stats can often prove things. The absence of stats regularly proves nothing. In this game J.J. Watt didn’t leave with a brace of sacks, and only notched a single batted pass, so some people would like you to think that he had a quiet, non-impactful day at the office, but that is far from the truth. He only had a single tackle for loss, but the other two tackles he had were for no gain, and his swim move beat San Diego linemen with such speed that he blew up five other run plays for other Houston defenders to make the play. DJ Fluker in particular will be having nightmares about Watt’s swim move for weeks to come. Maybe he didn’t get the stats everybody wants to see, but this was Watt at his very best, and his +7.3 grade attests to that.

So, as the first IDP off the board if we were to redraft, where roughly would you take him? I've been offered Watt straight up for Nicks in a 10 team dynasty non-PPR, 1 point per tackle 3 per sack league. Thinking about taking it.

Fischer is a great coach and it looks like they just were able to game plan him out. Plus it looks like the whole team practically quit yesterday.

Fischer is a great coach and it looks like they just were able to game plan him out. Plus it looks like the whole team practically quit yesterday.
I've watched enough JJ Watt over his career to know he never quits, not a single play, and I've yet to see him a victim of any game plan. I'm not saying you are incorrect Jayrod, but I'd be surprised if anything the Rams did to account for Watt could be used to neutralize him moving forward. However, I didn't see the game and would be interested in some more takes. Hopefully this isn't a lay down and die situation for the Texans.

Reading this PFF article makes me sick https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/16/analysis-notebook-week-6-2/

Kudos to the PFF for givings us some details. I'm sick now but I hedged and added some guys that are of the quality to plug in in case someone cracked the code. Now I have to start using them. I have no doubt that every Texans opponent will just run the same plan.
Overreact much? He had a solid game this Sunday. There is no magic formula.
You are a genius for giving your opinion after he finally has a good game. Thanks for your quality post.

Having depth when you see cracks isn't overreacting it's being proactive. He put up a zero and was outschemed by the Rams offensive line and his supporting cast seemed to be quitting. Those are some darn good reasons to freak out. Thankfully he made a comeback today.

Mistabishi said:
georg013 said:
Reading this PFF article makes me sick https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/10/16/analysis-notebook-week-6-2/

Kudos to the PFF for givings us some details. I'm sick now but I hedged and added some guys that are of the quality to plug in in case someone cracked the code. Now I have to start using them. I have no doubt that every Texans opponent will just run the same plan.
You are a genius for giving your opinion after he finally has a good game. Thanks for your quality post.

Having depth when you see cracks isn't overreacting it's being proactive. He put up a zero and was outschemed by the Rams offensive line and his supporting cast seemed to be quitting. Those are some darn good reasons to freak out. Thankfully he made a comeback today.
Mistabishi said:
georg013 said:

Running around claiming the sky is falling after one off game seems ridiculous. But then again, without thinking like yours, I would never be able to get my hands on guys like Watts. So in a way I'm thanking you? Traded for Watts last week due to the "formula". Lol.

Mistabishi said:
georg013 said:

Ignore georg013. He brings nothing of value over at DLF, and it appears he's doing the same over here.

Mistabishi said:
georg013 said:

Ignore georg013. He brings nothing of value over at DLF, and it appears he's doing the same over here.
Lol. My point is, one bad week does not warrant alarm. Thanks for following me in DLF!

Mistabishi said:
georg013 said:

Mistabishi said:
georg013 said:

Running around claiming the sky is falling after one off game seems ridiculous. But then again, without thinking like yours, I would never be able to get my hands on guys like Watts. So in a way I'm thanking you? Traded for Watts last week due to the "formula". Lol.
And he's had more than one bad week. Try half of the weeks so far and on one I had the same stats from my recliner. If I could do it over I would have passed on him for offense and drafted one of the many DL that have outperformed in fantasy so far.

Mistabishi said:
georg013 said:

I will in the future. Thanks!

Mistabishi, name one DL who has not had a few bad weeks per season? DL is one of the most unpredictable, inconsistent positions in fantasy football. Despite his "poor weeks" he is still putting up top 5 numbers. I just found your "blueprint" comments a little strange that's all. No harm no foul. Did they ever find a blueprint for Reggie White? Michael Strahan? You can't for the great ones. That's why they are great. Perhaps I should have been less aggressive in my post? I apologize if I offended. I will watch my voice in future posts. I really want to be a solid contributor to the forum. Maybe bring something of value...Hopefully, in the process, I can change Ashem's perception of me. It matters.

Hadn't seen this thread since my post early in the season, was thinking about it today.

Just checked scoring in my league. In a start 2 DL league he's providing an advantage compared to worst starter that makes him the top IDP. Compared to offensive players, he's falling between RB6 and RB7, and about even with QB3 were my league a start 1 QB league. For a 2 QB league he's in the QB9 range.

Definitely has been a great value as an early 7th where I got him. Not nearly as high of value as last year's performance, but no regrets about taking him. 7 games out of 10 in double digits in our scoring system is outstanding for a DL.

Hadn't seen this thread since my post early in the season, was thinking about it today.

Just checked scoring in my league. In a start 2 DL league he's providing an advantage compared to worst starter that makes him the top IDP. Compared to offensive players, he's falling between RB6 and RB&, and about even with QB3 were my league a start 1 QB league. If my league were start 1 QB, he'd be around as valuable as the #3 QB. For a 2 QB league he's in the QB9 range.

Definitely has been a great value as an early 7th where I got him. Not nearly as high of value as last year's performance, but no regrets about taking him. 7 games out of 10 in double digits in our scoring system is outstanding for a DL.
Those stats are definitely meaningful, but you also have to keep in mind what the DLs just behind him could have been acquired for. JJ Watt was going off the board well ahead of players such as Chandler Jones, Robert Quinn, Carlos Dunlap, etc.

fridayfrenzy said:

Just checked scoring in my league. In a start 2 DL league he's providing an advantage compared to worst starter that makes him the top IDP. Compared to offensive players, he's falling between RB6 and RB&, and about even with QB3 were my league a start 1 QB league. If my league were start 1 QB, he'd be around as valuable as the #3 QB. For a 2 QB league he's in the QB9 range.

Those stats are definitely meaningful, but you also have to keep in mind what the DLs just behind him could have been acquired for. JJ Watt was going off the board well ahead of players such as Chandler Jones, Robert Quinn, Carlos Dunlap, etc.

But were those guys the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th DLs taken? Moreno's been a great value as well, but he wasn't drafted as a #1 RB, same idea with Antonia Brown in my return league.

He's a special talent. The weekly advantage that he provides at the DL position is well worth the price of admission. We have two starting DL positions and most weeks he is outscoring BOTH of my opposition's DLs. Nice weapon to own.

Even nicer weapon this season. My delivery may not have been top shelf but my assessment was spot on. Nothing to worry about with JJ.

Silly season, literally carrying me to two dynasty wins -- including one with Flacco, Colston, and Kendall Wright as every week starters. In one of my big play leagues, he outscored the next closest DE by almost 200 points (he was at 33 ppg). He outscored the next closest *player*, Andrew Luck, by almost 100.

Silly season, literally carrying me to two dynasty wins -- including one with Flacco, Colston, and Kendall Wright as every week starters. In one of my big play leagues, he outscored the next closest DE by almost 200 points (he was at 33 ppg). He outscored the next closest *player*, Andrew Luck, by almost 100.
Similar for me, though the league isn't quite as IDP heavy. He scored virtually equal to Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers, 110 points above the next DE (JPP) 24 ppg vs. 16ppg, and the next IDP (Levy) by 24ppg to 20ppg.

Biggest question I'm left to deal with this off-season, in a salary cap league is whether to franchise him at the cost of almost $20,000 - 1/7 of our cap, which puts him in the same tier as Julio Jones and Cam Newton. I'm leaning towards doing it, which would be a one year deal (next year he'd be at $24,000).

I am seriously contemplating trading Jamaal Charles for Mr Watt. Am I crazy? At RB I have Ellington ARI Peterston MIN Crowell CLE Michael SEA Murray OAK Davis KC Jennings NYG. I am fairly deep at DL Quinn STL Jones NE and Hardy ???. Watt is such a difference maker at the DL slot.

I am seriously contemplating trading Jamaal Charles for Mr Watt. Am I crazy? At RB I have Ellington ARI Peterston MIN Crowell CLE Michael SEA Murray OAK Davis KC Jennings NYG. I am fairly deep at DL Quinn STL Jones NE and Hardy ???. Watt is such a difference maker at the DL slot.
Depends on league settings and scoring. I'm in about 5-6 IDPs, but most are fairly balanced/big scoring. I'd insta-accept Watt for Charles in every league except for one that really devalues DEF players. In several of my leagues, he would be the consensus 1.01 player taken if a redraft happened.

Depends on league settings and scoring. I'm in about 5-6 IDPs, but most are fairly balanced/big scoring. I'd insta-accept Watt for Charles in every league except for one that really devalues DEF players. In several of my leagues, he would be the consensus 1.01 player taken if a redraft happened.
std scoring on offense besides 4 pts for tds. Defense .5 half tackle 1 solo. forced fumble 2 recovery 2 int 2 sack 3

Last year in my 10 team dynasty league one team traded McCoy straight up for Watt. We all laughed. Guess who's laughing now.

Two years ago I traded Watt away for two first round rookie picks. I got Keenan Allen and Andre Ellington (aced it) but if I could go back I think I'd have kept him.

What the heck happened last night? I was expecting a big game at home against a crappy offensive line.
I didn't think he looked like what I'm used to seeing, but the Colts game plan incorporated a lot of quick passes and roll outs away from him. Romeo needs to move him around on the line more, so he's not as easy to game plan against.

The Houston D as a whole was horrible last night. Watt was blocked well and the Indy gameplan was good to neutralize him.

Users who are viewing this thread